Start by marking “The Stone Man” as Want to Read:
The Stone Man

The Stone Man

Nobody knew where it came from.

Nobody knew why it came.

Even so, for two-bit (and antisocial) reporter Andy Pointer, the appearance in his city of a man made of moving stone meant the scoop of a lifetime. He would soon learn that The Stone Man was much more - and much worse - than that.

This is Andy's account of everything that came afterwards, and the people that were lost
Published January 16th 2014 (first published December 3rd 2012)

Start your review of The Stone Man
Andrew Smith
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Luke Smitherd is not lacking in imagination. I can say that with some confidence having read a handful of his books all very different, all spectacularly original. In this one, the authors home city (Coventry, England) is visited by a Stone Man, a statue in the shape of a large human figure that just appears one day in Millennium Square. Except its not a statue, because its just started to move.

Andy Pointer, a working journalist, happens to be in the vicinity when this happens hes spotted the
Luvtoread
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, so different from the usual science fiction or horror genre. It is hard for me to categorize this story. The book left you with many questions throughout it's entirety which kept your curiosity peaked and you needed to find out "Why is it here? What is it? What does it want?"
Sometimes it got a little too wordy and some repetitious statements yet it did not take away from the mystery and the suspense of the story. The ending may not have satisfied some readers but in
Jeanne Johnston
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This goes into the "difficult reading" category for me. I liked it. I hated it. A tense read from the start, but I think the ambiguity at the end is what bothers me most.

As a first contact story, I guess it accomplished its goal--making you wonder "what if?" I suppose leaving it to you to sort it out is also not unusual for the genre.

I had to laugh at the author's manic ramble at the end. Yes, this is plagued by a lack of editing so prevalent in (free) eBooks, but the lack of polish goes
Andrew Lennon
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern day War of the Worlds.

I went into this book blind. I didn't even read the synopsis. I've heard a few things about Smitherd and thought I'd give him a go, The Stone Man seems to be his most popular book so that seemed to be a good place to start.
I listened to the audiobook edition of this piece. Firstly, I have to say, the narration was spot on. It was really easy to listen to and it pulled me in pretty quickly.
I'm not the biggest Sci-Fi fan so I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull

I thought the premise of this story was great and would be entertaining...until I started reading it. I struggled in giving it a one or two rating because although I did finish it there were many sentences, paragraphs and pages I skipped. The constant babbling and carrying on of the same subject without getting any deeper into the storyline was maddening. Giving two stars just because I didn't stop reading completely hoping the story would get better. It did not.
Dickydavis
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. Very different in pace from Physics Of The Dead-that one was more of a slow burner that built to a climax, whereas this book starts with a bang and doesn't let up. A cracking adventure mystery, with a heavy dose of horror to keep you on the edge of your seat. The Stone Man himself if a very frightening and enigmatic figure; I read this in two sittings. Recommended.
Roland Hulme
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a mysterious stone behemoth appears in the center of Coventry, hack reporter Andy thinks he's on to the scoop of the century. Little does he realize that "the Stone Man" and the sinister purpose for its arrival are inextricably linked to his very survival.

The Stone Man is Luke Smitherd's second novel, and its the one you want to read first. Well-plotted, sleekly written and robust, it's a great example of solid science fiction...

And I KNOW my science fiction.

My father was a sci-fi fan
Katya
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so intense I *ugh* can't even bring myself to think about it right now. It was a slow burn, most of the horror lying not in the monstrous actions of the mysterious stone man but instead in one ordinary man's gradual decline. It'll be a long time until I'm numb enough to read this one again.
The Behrg
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The only thing in this world more irresistible to human beings than greed is curiosity, and the need to know the answers."

I'm a closet believer in the idea that concept is king. In an era when anyone with a word processor and internet access can publish some character dashes and call it a book, you've got to come up with an original idea or a new take on a concept in order to get my attention. Now, of course, once you've gotten me to raise my eyebrow it's the execution that keeps me coming back
stormin
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, indie
So Audible ran a "hidden gems" sale (about 50 titles for $3.99 each) and as I investigated some of the interesting ones, I quickly realized that these were all indies.

Indies are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. The risk of low-quality is very high, but then again, I happen to think a lot of traditionally published books have very low quality (within genres that I care about, like military sci-fi), so that's not as much a turn off as it might otherwise be. In any
Banner
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Yes this book is definitely different but all in a good way. This was a refreshing read from the stand point of the plot. This story is about the appearance of a strange anomaly, the Stone Man and how society deals with this world changing event. But we see the prescetive not just from society but from a couple of average blokes that find themselves in the center of the action.

Upon reflection of the book I beleive it pegged the way we would adjust to such an event. We would try to understand it
Renee G
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, group-read
Andy Pettifer
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Brilliant! From start to finish this book had me gripped. It's funny, heart-warming, intelligent and thought-provokingly scary.
Fantastically written characters who make you care about them right from the off, an unfathomable villain who defies all understanding and a sport cast that flesh out the story beautifully.

I can't recommend this highly enough, especially at the ridiculous price of 70 odd pence, you'd be crazy to not give it a go!
DoodlePanda
I think this is a great book!
I love the way it's written. It gives the impression of a man telling his story about what he has experienced, and it's done well!
The story is good as well, I found it quite original. Where did the stone man come from? What does he want, what is his purpose?
Read it and you might find out!

I did like the ending, but at the same time I would like to know more! But I will not say more about that, as I don't want to ruin it for you!

Would recommend!
Mark
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely could not put this down. Wished for a different ending but enjoyed the book.
Jim Goodrich
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I've had my eye on this book for awhile now. Ever since I saw it, the minimalist cover art with the foreboding silhouette of the stone man intrigued me, as did the synopsis. I had high hopes for this book, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. For a book billed as a science fiction horror novel, it just wasn't scary at all. In fact, there wasn't a whole lot of action at all. The dialogue rambled on too long and I just didn't like the main character. Still, the concept was good and ...more
Joseph A.
I enjoyed reading this book for the most part. It kept my interest and the author built up the tension quite well. While the story centers around the appearance of the Stone Man in an English park, it is really about the reaction of the characters in the book to the Stone Man and the destruction that it causes. The story ends somewhat inconclusively, but I for one, had no problem with that. The author may have a sequel in mind though and I would probably read it if he does.
Emma (M)
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a strange book but in a way I enjoyed. However, I found the first half a little bit tedious to get through as there didnt seem to be much in the way of character development and the plot was a bit slow. Thankfully I found it picked up quite a bit in the second half and I really loved the ending; although I will preface that by saying it is an ending you will likely either love or hate. ...more
Nick Davies
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I can't recall who recommended this to me, but it had been added to my Amazon list a couple of years ago, and it had been bought for me at Christmas, and it had been read by me in June. Not necessarily the sort of thing I read very often - sci-fi dystopian type fiction - but nevertheless entertaining.

The novel follows (predominantly) a local journalist after he's caught up in extraordinary happenings following the appearance of a huge stone man in the middle of Coventry. A huge stone man which
Roger Jackson
This is one of those maybe books. The story is good. The premise is good. The writing is somewhat good. Editing not so good. Overall a decent book.

Things I didn't like: There were a small number of misspelled words (not bad), but there were more grammar/tense/incorrect word usage that made me backtrack more than a few times. The writing style is verbose, to the point where I skimmed over paragraphs more often than I like. The author seemed to want to make a point by repeating ideas throughout
T. Gilbert
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought the premise was really good and imaginative. However, as I went through the book, I felt like there was too much verbiage for what was occurring and it started to wear thin. There was no there there.
You hope the book that is hard to get through redeems itself by having a spectacular ending but there is no resolution and the "villain(s)" is/are never identified.
Plus, one of the protagonists has no resolution either and continues to be persecuted literally forever. It is like the
Kris
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this was written for me when I was about 15. Luckily for the author I haven't grown up much since then.

It starts with a stone statue just appearing in a city square, people barely notice until it starts to walk. Everyone thinks It's street magic until the first building it comes too, because it doesn't use doors it just goes straight. It doesn't loose its course it just go straight through whoever and whatever is in front of it. The world panics the government panics, what is it
Heather Bates
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yawn.....

46% in and had to give up - it's like watching someone else watching paint dry... such potential offered and such drivel delivered.
Apocryphal
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Things change in England when an 8'-foot-tall stone man appears in a busy street - seemingly out of nowhere. The Stone Man stands still for a a time, and then it starts to walk. It walks in a perfectly straight line, through buildings, cars, or people. It's destination is at first unknown, but small-time reporter Andy Pointer means to find out, and luckily (thanks to his mild autism?) he's got a psychic connection with the thing that turns him into a living homing beacon. After some faffing ...more
Dan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It's a fairly normal day for reporter Andy Pointer in his home city of Coventry- until a giant man made of stone suddenly appears and starts walking it's way through everything in it's path. As a reporter Andy can't help but get close to the action but he ends up much closer than he could have possibly imagined.

This reminded me a lot of The War of the Worlds. A massive stone man arrives and kills hundreds of people by stomping straight through buildings and we only see it from one man's point
Taylor Jones
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping read

This book caught my attention with the unique plot and once I started reading I didn't want to stop. It's written in first person so it's a bit 'raw' but this fits in perfectly with the type of story it is. I liked how Andy, the main character, teases about what will happen which built up suspense without ruining anything.

The characters were all believable and reacted to the events of the story in different ways. You really felt like you were there with them and could feel the fear.
Gatorman
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid thriller about the unexplained arrival of a giant stone figure that keeps walking and wreaking destruction in its path as it moves towards...what? That's the big mystery in the story as Andy and Paul try to help the government figure out the ultimate motive. Well-written and suspenseful, the story moves along at a good pace and leads to a satisfying resolution. 3.5 stars.
Mark Wilson
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, I enjoyed this a lot. Very simple, clever concept, well executed and thoroughly entertaining.
Nice use of first-person, past tense throughout tonrelay the story via recount of the main character before switching to third-person, past tense at the perfect moment. No forced answers at the conclusion. Perfect little book actually.
Greg
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I predicted how this novel would end almost from the beginning, and yet I was surprised--and satisfied--by the way the author wrapped things up. Good characterizations, action sequences, and pacing. A really nice job!
Kayleigh
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, weird and wonderful

Not what I expected at all but a really gripping story I couldn't put down. Nice mix of sci-fi and reality and each to!e I thought I knew where the story was going I didnt!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Level Five
  • The World Walker (The World Walker, #1)
  • Locker Nine (Locker Nine #1)
  • Make Me King (Mountain Man #5)
  • Reset
  • Polar Vortex
  • Mr. Mann: The afterlife and times of the Devil's Acquisitor ad Infinitum
  • Dogs of War
  • Odd Billy Todd
  • Accidental Hitman
  • Compound Fracture (Locker Nine #3)
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume Two
  • Meeting Mungo Thunk
  • Tell Me Lies
  • Made Things
  • The End of the World Running Club
Born under a Derbyshire sky, to the sounds of a doctor saying "I know they all look bad fresh out of the oven, but bloody hell..."

Professional writer; singer and guitarist, darts enthusiast, workaholic suffering from chronic procrastination (conflict!), comics nerd.

If you like my stuff, please leave a nice star rating, and tweet/post a status about it. You'll be doing me a bigger favor than I can