Start by marking “Embittered (King Arthur and Her Knights, #3)” as Want to Read:
Embittered (King Arthur and Her Knights, #3)

Embittered

(King Arthur and Her Knights #3)

Peace rules in Camelot, and Britt is satisfied with her life as the stand in for King Arthur. Or she was, until Lancelot shows up. Britt is forced by Merlin to welcome the young knight into her courts, and life goes downhill from there. King Leodegrance ,a close ally who also happens to have the Round Table, which Britt dearly wants, is attacked by the foul Duke Maleagent. ...more
Published February 4th 2014 by Take out the Trash! (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Embittered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embittered

Start your review of Embittered (King Arthur and Her Knights, #3)
Tricia Mingerink
This story continues the fun hi-jinks of Britt Arthurs, a twenty-something American girl who finds herself in the past masquerading as a boy and crowned King Arthur. In this book, the stakes are increased as both Lancelot and Guinevere come on the scene.
Lynn
**Review of the series as a whole rather than the individual books.**

KM Shea lets you know right up front what her stories will be. They will be some type of fantasy (usually), end happily and neatly tied up and are meant as a break from life rather than to be deep thinking. This series delivered exactly what was promised.

This is more of a series of novellas except for the last book that is full length. It's a fun story reimagining the King Arthur Legend. In it, a young woman named Britt is brou
Holly
Britt Arthurs was sent back in time and tasked with uniting Britain by pretending to be the legendary King Arthur. She's accepted that she can't go back home and is determined to make Camelot the best it can be. Which means steering clear of Guinevere and Lancelot, since modern day legend lays the fall of Camelot on them. So naturally in this installment Britt is forced to accept both of them in her Court.

These are quick, light reads. Everything is on the surface and there's very little depth t
Kara
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the twist on Lancelot and Guinevere in this one! Merlin and Kay always make me laugh, such great dialogue there. In this book we learn about the round table and what it actually is. Lancelot doesn't stop annoying Britt, and there are two fight scenes that Britt nails perfectly. Can't get enough of this story and enjoying the brief chemistry between Britt and Merlin.
Alison
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great continuation of the series. I'm absolutely loving these books. They are funny, exciting and so easy to read when you're looking for something light.

This time King Arthur (aka Britt Arthurs) is off to help one of her allies by scouting out an evil duke who is laying siege to his castle. That's the official reason however what she's really doing is looking for the round table from the legends. When she gets there she finds her supposed ally is not the good man she thought him to be
Regina Tam
Just as I expected, this series never fails to suck me in. This book was finished within an hour. I love Britt and her knights so much. This time, Britt has to deal with two people she hates just based on Authurian lore: Lancelot and Guinevere. Britt also grows a bit realizing that compromises must be made.
I like that the romance is going slowly because I dont want it to become the focus and take over the plot. The growing feelings between Britt and Merlin is awfully cute. I love how much they
Andrée-ann
Once more Britt is going on a adventure to help a neighbor king. She will have to act the part and then some.

This one is my favorite so far, you get everything in it. I have to say that King Pellinore is quite funny and I am always happy to see his attic. There is only two things bothering me, first one : it's way to short lol, I want more. The second one, is how Britt fails to see that the Lancelot/Guinevere can'T really hurt her, since she is neither friend with Lancelot or a man in love with
Sarah Ruth
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this whole series! I got the first book free somehow, and was totally hooked. To be clear, when I saw the title and heard the synopsis I totally eye rolled. Really -King Arthur is a girl and time transported?!! But then I read it and I LOVE the series. The twists from the original story were great- a sexy Merlin? It took some getting used to, but now #yesplease. And sometimes when life is hard or I’m dealing with conflict, I think “what would Brit Arthurs do?” I highly recommend the whol ...more
Brittany Jean
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I will fight until I cannot stand and talk until I run out of air, but I will see that every maiden I come across has someone willing to fight for her, and that every lesser subject knows that if all else fails, there is someone good in this world who would like to see them not only survive, but be happy!
I will do everything I can. If I cannot reach all of Britain so be it- but right now, there is a castle that cries out for a champion, and I will not forsake them.”

My enjoyment of this series
Julie Herlache
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
King ‘Arthur’ Meets her nemesis

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Britt meets Lancelot and doesn’t know it, liking him before realizing who he is. Going to help Guinevere’s father when he again is threatened just angers her. Britt knows how Guinevere and Lancelot destroy Camelot and can’t stand either of the two but must bear his company while saving Guinevere from her father’s using her as a pawn.
Johanna
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Still as entertaining as the first two books.
I like what the author is doing with Lancelot and Guiniviere.
The characters are still acting like a bunch of teenagers ... which technically some of them are I guess. And I'm loving it.
These books just make me laugh and they make me happy right now. And that's exactly what I need right now. I can look past flaws and imperfections if a book just makes me happy.
Celaena
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Britt actually grows even more. Meeting two of her (and mine) most hated Characters of the Arthurian Legend she has to decide, if she wants to do the one thing she swore to herself she would never do, or be the King, she wants to be.
In conflict with her feelings she manages to be great again.

It is a brilliant way to tell this legend.
I am going reading the fourth book now.
AR
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good

It’s getting more and more interesting as we slowly meet the characters we know from history. I hope Arthur can find a good balance of being chivalrous and not naive, it’s a hard one, I don’t want to see her hurt. Looking forward to the next book, really enjoying this series.
Clare N
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet another adventure with Britt...
-The writing seemed a little more improved, even if there were some minor mistakes
-The character development of Britt's interaction with new characters was immensely frustrating to me, but I know things will get better and the story will improve
May
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Lancelot gets introduced, and there are some sweet Merlin and Britt moments too. It's really funny how set Britt is on getting the round table as well.
Tessa Hamberlin
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting better! All I can think at the end of this one is dun dun dunnnn!
Kathryn
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3/7 loving Lancelot and Geneviere here.
Melanie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I breezed through this book! I absolutely loved it!! :)
Karen
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This story was difficult for me to read. It had it's good parts but it felt like it was full of a lot of angst.

Content: clean
Beth (batattack)
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Things are getting interesting... I enjoyed this book, the story is only getting better as it progresses!
Holly Beacher
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasn't entirely sure on this series during the first two books but I am starting to enjoy it more and more! The books are easy to read and it is a very interesting retelling of King Arthur.
Maria
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
To start of, I love this series - a lot! It's a short story but I enjoyed reading it. The past two books were amazing and I was totally in love with the characters and their story. However, the third book is a bit of let down but not the point of total disappointment. Again, it's a book that I will rate in the middle. There are good stuff about it but I feel like it lacks the "wow" feeling that I had from the two previous books.

I find Embittered to be so short and plotless. The conflict with Mal
Michelle
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Guinevere and Lancelot make their first appearance in this series and while Britt is not an expert on King Arthur stories she does know that this is bad news for her reign. It is interesting to see how the familiar plays out in this time traveling, gender twist on the tale.
Liza
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Britt sees it as smooth sailing and then Lancelot shows up. King Leodegrance asks for help in defending his lands from Duke Maleagent. Britt wants the round table and as it turns out King Leodegrance is in possession of the Round Table and will give it back for the price of his daughter Guinevere's hand in marriage. Trying to avoid marriage Britt travels incognito to King Leodegrance lands to see the Round Table and try and negotiate a price when they are confronted with Duke Maleagent. In disgu ...more
Melissa
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, timetravel
I'm super to excited to see where this Lancelot story goes.

Poor Britt everytime things start to go her way she gets more trouble. It's great to watch the dance and see the characters surrounding her grow and change with her.

If I have a complaint its these unclear time jumps between books. Eventually, we can gather or are told how long it's been, but it is a little jarring when you go direct from one book to the other.
Jessi
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want more

The header speaks for itself.Wonderful story and there seems to be something going on between Britt and Merlin,which I highly approve.One day I hope there will be a physical bindup of the story because I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This series isn't my favorite of Shea's work, but it's still a great story.
Amanda
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-alot
I love this whole idea. King Arthur as a woman who doesn't really know the myth but has to live it.
Teya Teya
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. It's fun and a very unique perspective I thoroughly enjoy. On to the next!

• The Desperate Quest (Second Age of Retha, #2)
  • The Luckless (Second Age of Retha, #1)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • The Revived (Second Age of Retha, #3)
  • A Bear's Bride (Entwined Tales, #3)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
K.M. Shea is going progressively bald from pulling all of her hair out when she writes.

She has a BA in Print Journalism and a minor in Japanese. She's worked as a freelance reporter, a librarian, a blogger, and an author. She lives in the country with Perfect Dog.

King Arthur and Her Knights (7 books)
  • Enthroned (King Arthur and Her Knights, #1)
  • Enchanted (King Arthur and Her Knights, #2)
  • Embark (King Arthurs and her Knights, #4)
  • Enlighten (King Arthur and Her Knights, #5)
  • Endeavor (King Arthur and Her Knights, #6)
  • Endings (King Arthurs and Her Knights, #7)