Start by marking “A Little in Love” as Want to Read:
A Little in Love

A Little in Love

As a young child Eponine never knew kindness, except once from her family's kitchen slave, Cosette. When at sixteen the girls' paths cross again and their circumstances are reversed, Eponine must decide what that friendship is worth, even though they've both fallen for the same boy. In the end, Eponine will sacrifice everything to keep true love alive.
Published October 2nd 2014 by Chicken House Ltd

To ask other readers questions about A Little in Love, please sign up.
Penny You do NOT need to read the book - unless you want to (it is worth the effort, though you do need tenacity), - but it would be helpful to have either…moreYou do NOT need to read the book - unless you want to (it is worth the effort, though you do need tenacity), - but it would be helpful to have either seen the play or the recent film.(less)

Rebecca
Read this review and more on my blog

In a nutshell: A heart-wrenching retelling of the classic Les Miserables, telling Eponine's story.

A couple of years ago, I finally read Victor Hugo's Les Mis and it's still to this day the longest book I've ever read. I'm still surprised that it actually happened but for all of the reading slumps I fell into and the pain (both mental and physical - seriously, the clothbound version is heavy and I foolishly brought it with me to uni everyday) it's one of my fa
Maddie
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Sarah recommended this to me, I was skeptical about it, since I know barely anything about Les Miserables, and thought that would limit my enjoyment, but, I really grew to love Eponine, Cosette and Marius. The writing style was beautiful, the story read like a tragic fairy tale, and I definitely fell a little in love with it!
Jenn
I'll admit that my excitement upon finding a teen novel telling Eponine's tale quickly turned to dubiousness, as these kinds of books can often end up as a let down. I'm delighted to be able to say that A Little In Love was not one of them; this is a moving, thoughtful, gorgeously written book that adds so much to the Les Miserables story.

Eponine's always been my favourite tragic waif in Les Miserables, and Fletcher does her wonderful justice here, from her childhood in an inn being taught to st
Sesana
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't think of a secondary character in a classic work of literature who is less in need of an author to champion her than Eponine. I read it anyways. I might not have, if it didn't look so much like Fletcher would be taking much of her inspiration from the book, not the musical. But who knows? I was really just kind of happy that this was published.

This really is the book's Eponine, and the book as a whole is essentially Eponine's perspective of the things she could reasonably know about, and
pennyg
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's beautiful and sad and melodramatic and even though you know very well what will happen, you will be sobbing at the end. Just a really lovely re-telling of Eponine's story from Les Miserables by one of my favorite writers, Susan Fletcher. Marketed as YA, the book itself is strikingly pretty, red with black endpapers and a good introduction to Hugo's novel for a young person, although, it is a great read I think for any age.

Jen
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
*I received a copy of this audiobook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Audio: Melody Grove does a fantastic job of bringing Eponine and the rest of the characters to life. Her French is flawless and her accent made the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Story: I love Les Misérables. I saw it on Broadway when I was 15 and have loved almost every adaptation since. (Except the movie version where Russel Crowe sings. That nearly ruined the whole story for me.) Les Mis was the ins
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got at BEA 2015.

Diversity Rating: 0 – What Diversity?

Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 1 (Eponine’s family is ridiculously poor)

There I was, just sitting near baggage check at BEA waiting for my roommates to get their tickets for a signing of Fairest by Marissa Meyer and generally getting off my feet. Me and my tote bag full of books. Of course you don’t just get off your feet at BEA without either reading or
Grace
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its very rare I get excited about a book which in many ways is just ‘glorified and bound fanfiction’ and from my past experience books in this category can be horrendously disappointing. So when I read about a young adult novel telling Eponine’s story I admit I was nervous, nervous about one of my favourite charters from one of my favourite novels was about to be butchered into a tale which she wasn’t going to belong in. However, I needn’t of worried, this book is thoughtful, potent and wonderfu ...more
Katerina
Nasty Bat ~
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, classic, favorites
It is so amazing how could a story, few pages make you think about every single little thing you do and it had could be the life its self, I won't lie I already know that, but to be more honest, this book makes it so clear to me.

To thank the God for the Good parent who raises me up to a better person no matter what, and for this lovely house I have, food, warmth, Decent life I'm living through this lifeless life and it is sham if I asked the God for more than that.
Abigail H. Leskey
If you don't mind that the ending was unfaithful to Les Misérables (and didn't wholly make sense), it's a good, miserable book.

And Enjolras is in it!

Suzi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Review coming... soon? ... ever??? Let's just say that this book combined three things I love: retelling of stories, stories about kindness and feeling so much love for characters that it makes me bawl my eyes out. (So yes, I recommend it!!) Xx
Emily
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I gobbled up this book! It was beautiful. Full review coming soon.
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That's it. I'm a sobbing, emotional wreck and I can't even...
Clare Holman-Hobbs
A very cute retelling but I don't think it added much more to the original story.
charlotte
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
*clears throat* alright

there's this part in les mis where éponine repels the patron minette from valjean's house, which goes like so:

and he added:

"bitch!"

she began to laugh in a terrible way:

"as you like, but you shall not enter here. i'm not the daughter of a dog, since i'm the daughter of a wolf. there are six of you, what matters that to me? you are men. well, i'm a woman. you don't frighten me. i tell you that you shan't enter this house, because it doesn't suit me. if you approach, i'll bar
Hannah
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my les mis heart is so joyful & sad in the best way possible
Karissa
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book to review through the Amazon Vine program. This was a well done retelling of Eponine's story from Les Mis. This was a sweet story set in a harsh time. For those of you who already know the story of Les Mis you know that this is also a tragedy.

Those who are familiar with the story or musical of Les Mis already know the story. Eponine is the daughter of an innkeeper and his wife, both of whom make their living by preying on and thieving from others. At a young age the you
Gerard Villegas
(Sung to the tune of Les Miz's On My Own.)

*ahem*

And now I'm forced to read this ARC,
My rotted brain suffered through this affliction.
Without some reasoning, without common sense,
I managed to get through this fanfiction.
And now I must skim through this trap
And suffer through this crap.

Sometimes you look for the best,
And hope the book gets better
I think of the Broadway musical
And imagine turntable Wheel of Fortune letters.
A Little in Love has messed with my head
So I'll just stick to the Cliff's N
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-teens
Oh, y'all...this book will warm your heart and also break it into little pieces. I've been waiting for something like this since I first became familiar with Les Miserables (I'm more familiar with the musical and movies than the book.). Eponine is by far my favorite character, and this little book tells her story beautifully. It's a tale about how a little girl who was never loved learned to love and learned to love herself. Read it on a rainy day while listening to the Les Mis soundtrack. Now w ...more
Kirsty

A little in love is a story of a girl set in the backdrop of revolutionary France. She comes from a family of thieves who are terrible and from the outset you feel sorry for her and the way she is forced to live. Over the course of the book her family get worse and worse but she finds a ray of light in a boy who is kind to her and she starts to fall in love with from afar even though it is never going to work between the two of them

Interesting enough but suspect I would have enjoyed it more had
Mary
So, if I'm honest, I expected Eponine's character to be edgier, more hard-hearted. She seemed a little lovesick here and so, so young. Full of ideals about love. It was sweet and sad and...distant. I wish we'd had more of the gritty details of life on the streets and of the day at the barricades and less of her mooning about trying to be good. Still a lovely little book, and it has made me seriously consider tackling Hugo's classic.
Melinda Borie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hmm. I might just be getting too old for this sort of thing, but it seems to me that Fletcher has missed the point of Eponine in thinking that the tragedy of her is that she really was a good person, when really the tragedy of her is that she never had a chance to be a good person. This makes the story cleaner but less interesting.
Sakinah
Eponine is a very relatable character and the story is just enjoyable and a heartbreaker too.

Extremely beautiful. Loved every bit of it. Glad that I bought it in a whim.

One of my favourites for sure.
Holly
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this and it did make me care about the characters, which was all I was looking for in this book. My only criticism was that it felt quite rushed at some points but that is so be expected when you look at the length and depth of the original story.
Bárbara
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very short, but very interesting, story about one of Les Mis's more complex and colorful characters. There's so much that could be said and explored about Éponine, and I think Susan Fletcher handled it with a good hand. The character's voice is in conaonance with the source material, and the author fleshed it out in a way that really works, and which makes for a pleasant yet emotional read.
Lady Delacour
A bitter sweet historical story about a poor
downtrodden girl and how her life unfolds.
Narrator Melody Grove's sweet voice
captured the feel of the gray atmosphere.
Clean Story. Few mild unpleasant words.
Amy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m crying. I even know how this book ends because I love Les Misérables and I’m STILL CRYING. Ahhh. I loved getting to know Eponies story. It was beautiful!
Zoe
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

And perhaps I live too and always will, for love is the strongest thing of all—and love never dies, never dies.
A Little in Love is a retelling of Victor Hugo's Les Misérables from the perspective of Eponine. The result is an emotional and beautifully written novel that will stay with you long after you finish it.

In Les Misérables - both the original book and the musical - Eponine's story is relatively simple and overlooked. A Little in Love adds so much depth and emotion to
Megan
As seen on www.readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

" A little in love is one of the most beautiful books I have had the pleasure of reading. Susan Fletcher is a master with words."

A little in love is an alluring, haunting read which I couldn't put down. Eponine's story was so full of sadness, heartbreak and sorrow but also full of hopes, dreams and untimely love!

Eponine's story is of one girl who doesn't want to be the person her surname dictates she be. She has hopes and dreams and goodness in he
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • The Tribute Bride
  • Hadley (Fashionistas, #2)
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • Seed
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Diamonds & Deceit (At Somerton, #2)
  • The Lynching of Louie Sam
  • Curses and Smoke
  • The Notorious Pagan Jones (Pagan Jones, #1)
  • Beasthood (The Hidden Blood Series, #1)
  • Ready, Steady, Go!: The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London
  • The Fire Horse Girl
  • Darkmere
  • Pompidou Posse
  • Surviving Santiago
  • Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan: The True Story of How the Iconic Superhero Battled the Men of Hate

Susan Fletcher is the author of Eve Green, which won the Whitbread Award for First Novel, Oystercatchers, and Corrag. She lives in the United Kingdom.
“I've done so many bad things in my life but the stars always forgave me.” 6 likes