Start by marking “Evolution (Extraction, #3)” as Want to Read:
Evolution (Extraction, #3)

Evolution

(Extraction #3)

The final book in the brilliantly paced Extraction series. About a fearless girl who wins escape from a brutal life only to find herself battling to save her planet from destruction.

Clementine's world is on the brink of destruction. An army of aliens from the distant planet Marden has arrived with a massive fleet of battleships, intent on finally putting an end to the war Kiel's old
Published September 8th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolution

Winter by Marissa MeyerQueen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasReturn to Me by Kelly MoranA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasLiars, Inc. by Paula Stokes
2015 Releases
752 books — 1,451 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerThe Ruby Circle by Richelle MeadEnd of Days by Susan EeEnsnared by A.G. HowardManners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger
End of Series in 2015
75 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Evolution (Extraction, #3)
Kate Ormand
The Alliance is broken and the planet is under attack. The leaders of Kiel still have power over its citizens and Clementine is fighting to break their hold. But when Marden invades Kiel, she must join forces with one side or the other to save her planet from being destroyed.

This was a great way to finish, and my favourite book in the series. Diaz's world is well imagined and her characters have real motivation. Clementine is determined to succeed in saving not only those she loves and cares fo
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Stephanie Diaz's Evolution concludes the saga of Clementine and Logan, two surface dwellers wrenched apart thanks to the Extraction, and Clementine's mission to reunite them and end the planet's destruction. Set on a fictional planet known as Kiel, Evolution picks up right where Rebellion left off. When we last left our protagonist Clementine, she had fallen to one of Commander Charli
Liz Barnsley
Thoroughly enjoyed Evolution and as the completion of a trilogy it worked really well - no going off on wild tangents unlike some I've read and a very decent solution that made utter sense within the rest of the wider story which can also be rather unusual, as some struggle to cohesively bring together all their wider arcs.

In Evoloution, Clem is heading back to the core - hoping to make a deal with arch enemy Commander Charlie and join forces to defeat the wider threat, that of the i
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
If you've ever thought Dystopia was confined to Earth societies, think again. This well-delineated series [EXTRACTION--REBELLION--EVOLUTION] offers a new and extended view of just how ugly Dystopia can be. In a society that proves the truth of the X-Files stricture, "Trust No One," it's next to impossible to determine whom one can trust and really is your friend. Are the invading aliens the worst enemy--or is that the ones you already know?
Stephanie Diaz
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Out September 8, 2015.

Update 1/23/15: We have a cover!!

Update 5/26/15: The description has been updated with the official flap copy!
Liviania
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clementine has been to the center of her planet and back. She expected to find a better life, but instead found corruption and a horrific plan to sacrifice everyone on the Surface to save those in the Core. She joined a rebellion, but recently discovered a truth that changed everything, and an external threat that just might be more of a danger to her people.

I must admit, I was worried that the aliens would let Commander Charlie and the other officials off the hook. Invading aliens w
Bri
This was my favorite book in the series. It seemed like all my problems with the first two were fixed and like with the first two the writing was awesome.

The world was very well explained. Too many times in science fiction books the world building is just glossed over, but that was not the case with this one. Everything was described so well that it actually felt like I was watching a movie. I also liked how the writing sort of got to the point of things but it still managed to describe. For th
Mark Gardner
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I hadn’t read any of the previous books in the series. I may have passed on this if the cover had indicated that this was the third book in a series, but the blurb looked interesting when I saw it on NetGalley, so I added it to my TBR pile.

I was confused about a few things that were likely explored in the previous books. Evolution is a sort of coming of age story, but I wasn’t already emotionally invested in any of the characters. I didn’t care if any of them died, or if the aliens c
Lynndell
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Griffin for the arc of Evolution by Stephanie Diaz! The final and third book in the Extraction series contains more complex writing than the other two books. Clementine struggles with her choices while the alien Mardenites attack and capture humans. My favorite part of the book is when Clementine meets the Mardenites' God, the Tessar. Evolution closes this series up beautifully!
Undouable
it was different from the other book
Sierra M
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It’s a high-stakes, intricately plotted novel with exciting characters, realistic fights and romance and government portrayal. It’s very enjoyable, and the ending spins together so well, never going exactly as expected but still with a happy ending that’s not unreasonable. I love seeing a smart, strong female like Clementine. Definitely a series worth reading until the end.
Hafizah Pauzi
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the brave, thoughtful and intelligent heroine in the book and this book never fail to surprise me. It explains everything in the end. However, i feel the book could have explored more about the creature in book 2. Although the ending feels a bit rushed but I'm overall satisfied! I am relieved that everything ends well. Series of the art!
Carolyn
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked the series, easy to read and well told story....
SelinaNoelle
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 Stars
Anastasia Nichole
See this review and more bookish things on my blog!

If you know me, you know my luck with trilogies. You know how I warm up to a series, and, just when things start to get good, the third book comes along and pulverizes me with disappointment. It’s happened so many times (with some of my favorite series, too) that I actually get antsy when reading the third book in a trilogy, because I know how they end, and I know that they usually disappoint me.

But I can say with confidence that
Tamara
I got this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads book giveaway. This is my honest review.

I honestly can't remember the last time it's taken me this long to finish a book. I started and stopped this one so many times before I decided I had to just get it over with. If I hadn't won this in a giveaway, I wouldn't have finished it. I probably would have quit partway into the first book, to be honest. But because I was a giveaway winner, I felt obligated to finish it and provide
Erin Arkin
Evolution is book three in the Extraction series and it picks up shortly after book two (Rebellion) wraps up so you aren’t missing anything. I have really been enjoying this series so as soon as I was able to read it, I dove in. If you haven’t read any of these books yet, you might want to stop here (and of course, go read them) so I don’t ruin any of the story for you.

As the story begins, Clementine and the rebels have to figure out what to do now that their headquarters is destroye
Rachel
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic and exciting and gripping and suspenseful series finale EVOLUTION is. This third installment takes the story in yet another direction, giving readers something both new and familiar, making for a fascinating and thrilling read. Deadly threats, dangerous enemies, fragile allegiances, shocking revelations ensure that this will be an unputdownable page-turner.

With the enemy drawing ever closer, Clementine and the Rebels will have to band together with the Developers and
poesielos
Nothing about the cover or the blurb indicated that “Evolution” is actually the third book in the trilogy, so I started reading it without knowing anything about the back-story… well, good thing Diaz recapitulates the most basic events and you can easily fill the blanks in if you’ve read similar books.

We have a totalitarian government which relies on mind control and survival of the fittest, a rebellion against it as well as an alien invasion. The story is very straightforward and there a
Rich in Color
Evolution is a great conclusion to the Extraction series that neatly ties up the story. If you haven’t read the first two books in the series, Extraction and Rebellion, then you really should. Evolution definitely doesn’t function as a standalone book.

Its strengths are what made the first book in the series great — the science fiction twist to a dystopian story. The final book in the series follows through on this, giving Clementine the chance to unravel the mysteries behind the dyst
Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)

The conclusions to the extraction trilogy, this book is just as exciting as its prequels.

I still love the character of Clementine. She seems like a real person, a real girl with fears and hopes and feelings. My favorite part of the last book was how clementine dealt with PTSD and anxiety, and k felt like that was continued well in Evolution.

I do think the beginning was extremely slow in this one. I almost gave up at first, because I could not remember what was going on. There wasn't a lot of e
Michael Long
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this third and final book, the Mardenites finally arrive to wreck havok on Kiel while the developers will stop at nothing to win the war, regardless of the costs.

Finally in this third book we learn about Marden, the Mardenites, the history of the war, the makeup of the developers, and the developer's plans. All questions are answered and its quite a ride. Oh, and apparently there are a few secrets about Clementine that are revealed. Not to mention the intricate power dance between
Daniel
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads' First Reads program.
Evolution is the third book in the Extraction series. The story is exciting and paced very well. The combination of story elements is original, but I can't help getting a little bit of a Star Wars vibe. The story of Clem saving herself, her friends, and the intelligent universe is fun. I enjoyed the sci-fi elements of the story too.
The story is pretty good. The complexity is good for a Young Adult age range around 15. I supp
Jessica
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is very Hunger Games. The trilogy starts with the 'ruler' figures (Developers in this case) putting some poor 16 year old through a choosing process that is key to society. The Extraction is good and you are lucky if you are chosen, however not as good as the Developers made it out to be. The next book, Rebellion, is the fight against the patriarchy and the third, Evolution, transitions into a fight against a 3rd powerful being that eventually gets enlisted to help the poor 16 year ...more
Creatyvebooks
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads, arc-copy
Started this book blindly since I haven't read the previous but the author gives a little backstory as you read so it was fairly easy to understand what was going on.

This was an interesting and entertaining book that seems to wrap up the series nice. At least from what I've read. Things made sense. It was over the top confusing or out of this world implausible.

From what I gather this is a dystopian where the government uses mind control. Mix in some action and a little ro
Caitlin
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi and Dystopia Fans
This was a satisfying end to a very interesting series. The previous book had ended in such a dramatic way that I honestly could not figure out how this one was going to go, and I was very eager to find out.
This book did not disappoint. It had a delightful amount of twists and turns that kept the story entertaining, and while it was, indeed, very different from the other two books in some ways, it maintained a consistent feeling with the others that allowed them to still feel together.
In a lot
Rachel
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was a pretty good ending to the trilogy but I feel like the first two novels were more exciting and felt like they were more of a story whereas this was just finishing up and sort of answering questions. In some way I wish the end was more expanded rather than just ending upon arrival, I think that would have made the novel more interesting.

Otherwise, a good trilogy but again......these trilogies are killing me since they seem to take F O R E V E R to publish so I either p
Kira Brighton
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA dystopian fans
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
*Received signed copy from author via Twitter*

Like the first two books, I found this to be a perfectly well-built YA dystopian, nothing wrong with it, but somehow lacking *spark* for me. It may be that it just manages to fall into the rare slivers of dystopian fatigue I've got. The ending was pretty cool, so it gets the four stars for that.
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Fast paced and not entirely predictable. On par with the first in the series and better than the 2nd :) An entertaining read---if it was a movie, it would be a good action movie you saw as a matinee a couple weeks after release.
Helen Bassett
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and it read well. The characters were fun and interesting. Lila was very unusual. Kell seemed confused as to who he was. It is very much a good vs evil story.
YA Apocalyptic an...: EXTRACTION Trilogy 1 6 Sep 09, 2015 05:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book #3 to series :) 3 19 Jan 27, 2015 11:20PM

• Girl Defective
  • The Vampire's Pet
  • Wild Swans
  • Zac and Mia
  • Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (Dash & Lily, #1)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Alita: Battle Angel
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
Twenty-two-year-old Stephanie Diaz wrote her debut novel, Extraction, while studying film at San Diego State University. When she isn't lost in books, she can be found singing, marveling at the night sky, or fan-girling over TV shows.

Visit her online at www.stephaniediazbooks.com. Follow her on twitter: @StephanieEDiaz.

Extraction (3 books)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Rebellion (Extraction, #2)