Start by marking “Rules for Stealing Stars” as Want to Read:
Rules for Stealing Stars

Rules for Stealing Stars

Silly is used to feeling left out. Her three older sisters think she’s too little for most things—especially when it comes to dealing with their mother’s unpredictable moods and outbursts. But for Silly, that’s normal. She hardly remembers a time when Mom wasn’t drinking.

This summer, Silly is more alone than ever, and it feels like everyone around her is keeping secrets. M
Published September 29th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Rules for Stealing Stars, please sign up.
Anna it is amazing! This is one of the best books I've ever read. In my opinion.

Hannah Greendale
Silly can't remember a time when her mother wasn't drinking. She and her three older sisters hide from their alcoholic mother and aloof father in their closets - where magical worlds exists when the door is closed. Silly thinks the magic can save her family, but not all of the worlds in the closets are good and Silly soon fears the magic may tear the family apart.

Rules for Stealing Stars tackles some heavy subject matter:

This is the first time Mom hasn't protected me from herself, and it hurts

“I shouldn’t be lonely when I have three sisters,”

This was a good middle-grade/YA story about 4 sisters and magic closets!

Silly was the youngest of 4, and her sisters always acted like she was a baby compared to them, and needed to be protected, even when she was only 3 years younger than her oldest sisters. I felt quite sorry for her in that her nickname was ‘Silly’ and h
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This book is like a dream, a very sad and magical dream. Rules for Stealing Stars is a book about four sisters who are stuck in a heartbreaking situation but find a little bit of magic to make the situation a little more bearable.

This book is about a girl called Silly who learns a lot of important things over the course of a summer (I think? Time is not so well defined in the book.)  This book is the story of four sisters who learn to com
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Though I’ve read all of Haydu’s books, I really wasn’t sure what to expect from Rules for Stealing Stars. All of her other books (OCD Love Story, Life by Committee, Making Pretty) are YA and incredibly intense. Middle grade also isn’t generally my favorite thing, but, when I love them, they do tend to get pretty dark. Haydu’s talent shines bright in Rules for Stealing Stars, which is as intense as I would have expected.

Haydu novels hit at the pain, but Rules for Stealing Stars is less of a visce
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I won this book in a Good Reads First Reads Giveaway.

This story is very sad, but it is a truth in the world today.

Priscilla (Silly), Marla & the twins Eleanor and Astrid are all sisters. Silly is the youngest and left out of things with her sisters. They think she is too young until this year they finally let her in on their magical world.

The story is of a beautiful place four sisters have to dream up for them to find their own peace. They live day to d
Adi Alsaid
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little bit of magic in the real world.
Adriana
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: Ivan
How bad can it be in a world where you only have to wait until night to see the sky glowing, telling you warmth can always, always poke through?
This is one of the most beautiful, important books I've ever had the opportunity to read. After flipping the last page, I closed this book and held it to my chest for a few minutes, just thankful that it existed and that these words belong to me now.

Rules for Stealing Stars is an incredible story about sisters who use magic to escape their mother's il
Claire Legrand
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Corey Ann Haydu's middle grade debut is a stunning, tender exploration of the effect a mother's illness has on her four young daughters.

Protagonist Silly (Priscilla) and her three sisters--Astrid, Eleanor, and Marla--are all beautifully drawn characters with distinct personalities and coping methods. As they spend a summer caring for their mother and dreading her unpredictable moods, they take refuge in the magical closets scattered throughout their house and soon learn that magic can be both g
Tanya
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rules for Stealing Stars is a beautifully written novel about a disease that touches countless lives every day. I found it incredibly easy to relate to each sister in different ways. This book brought out a full range of emotions from joy to sadness.
Daisy Paquet
I still don't know how to steal stars.
Alexa
FIRST THOUGHTS: I'm seriously blown away by Corey's middle grade debut novel. It just left me with a tremendous amount of warmth in my heart, hope in my soul, and so much love for these characters and their story. Make sure to keep this novel on your radar, folks!
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This is a sweet story about a family dealing with alcoholism, death and grief. The notable thing is all the quotes from the main character, who is just eleven years old. Her observations of the world are so astute and honest.

3.5 stars rounded up.
Alexandra
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated 4/28/16:

RULES FOR STEALING STARS by Corey Ann Haydu was one of my favorite books of 2015 & it was definitely my favorite middle grade book of the year. When Silly brought me into her world with her sisters, Astrid, Eleanor & Marla, I was immersed in their story. At the beginning of the novel, the girls have been moved into their large summer lake house with their mother and father, who believe the change in scenery will be the saving grace for their family. However, our narrator
Elizabeth☮
Silly is the youngest of four sisters. Her father is a professor and her mother stays home. Silly and her sisters have recently moved into what is normally their summer home. This is done in hopes that the new environment will lift their mother's mood: it doesn't.

Silly's mother is dealing with depression and her coping mechanism is drinking. Sill y'all father likes to brush over his wife's mental state, but his attempts at making things normal for his girls isn't working.

The older sisters have
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Rules for Stealing Stars from Katherine Tegen Books via Edelweiss in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Rules for Stealing Stars is a poetic story about four young sisters, and how they, and their family, deal with the difficulties life sometimes throw our way. Beautifully written, with a lot of imagery and a fairy-tale like feel, it was a solid story that left me satisfied.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous, memorable, incredibly moving. Powerful - darkness illuminated by hope. Important.

I will be thinking about Silly and her sisters for a very long time. RULES FOR STEALING STARS is a story that sticks with you and takes up residence in a little corner of your heart. Corey Ann Haydu worked some magic of her own in writing this novel.

Everyone should read this book. LOVED.
Amy Bearce
This book is quite intense and deals with really hard topics. The characters are all realistically flawed as humans, and the way magic is woven in only heightens how real everything feels somehow. It is beautifully written, with turns of phrases that made me pause to savor the word choices. I loved the author's use of vivid details to capture a mood or situation. Most of all, I appreciated the hope that shines through the story despite the darkness.
Shari
Jun 01, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-won
So excited I won this book on Goodreads!
M
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put this in the hands of every child.
Anna
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book I felt like I was in the world with them.
Melissa
Goodreads, Please note: I'm having issues with my reviews are only showing up under one format they should be linked/combined so I'm having to post them one under the format I read and one under the another format where the links aren't combined.

My copy has 321 pages, but entered 336 as this book page shows.

Melissa
My copy has 321 pages, but entered 336 as this book page shows.

I Loved this book. I adored this book. It wasn't without its difficult topic, however for the kid in you as an adult or the kid in you because you're a kid, it's perfect. It touched on serious topics in such a unique & what's the word I'm looking for??....just a sweet way in which a young kid struggling can find hope in or an escape and feeling they're not alone if the synopsis resonates with them.

I know even as an adult it res
Kayla
This is a middle grade novel but it deals with some pretty tough issues. Four sisters need to band together and decide what to do as they live with the reality of their mother's mental illness and a father who'd really prefer to pretend to them that nothing is going wrong. As the story escalates, so too do the magical elements that make things a little easier for the girls because their mother's illness is never explained to them, never defined, and they're left in a helpless, spiraling situatio ...more
AJ Torres
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
In a world filled with so much sadness, people need to find happiness in the simple things. For Silly, that happiness came from Stealing Stars.

Rules for Stealing Stars is the brilliant Middle Grade debut novel by Corey Ann Haydu, where we follow 4 sisters who find solace in their bedroom closets. Priscilla AKA 'Silly' is the youngest of the sisters and feels the loneliness that most children may feel when their siblings leave them out of most situations. While Silly's sisters go into their rooms
Patty
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rules For Stealing Stars
By
Cory Ann Haydu

What it's all about...

This book is about a family of four sisters and their parents. Their mom is not always herself. Silly/Priscilla...the youngest daughter appears to tell most of this family's story. It is lovely and sweet and achingly heartbreakingly sad. Silly and her sisters watch their mom...the days when there is something other than coffee in her mug...are not good days for them. Their father is clueless. Silly feels ignored by her sisters...Astri
The Reading Countess
One of the many benefits of booktalking books to fourth grade students often is when THEY tuck a book(s) in your hand, gaze imploringly into your eyes and beg you to read the book(s) they just LOVED. While you have your own leaning tower of books on deck, you set them aside in favor of capturing a little glimpse of your reader's head and heart. Rules for Stealing Stars is one such book. Thank you, dear student reader, for insisting that I read this one. You were right. Wow.

In the interest of fai
Mayra
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books make you laugh, others make you cry. Some books teach you about anything you want to learn, or send you to lands where you forget where you are and thus give you time to gather strength to go on with the real world. Some books grab you from the first page and you just don't want them to end. Every once in a while a book shocks you and you don't know how you feel about it. This is what happened to me with this middle grade book. I wanted to leave it, not finish it, but I couldn't. I ke ...more
Ashley
So I definitely will be reading more middle grade novels by Corey Ann Haydu if she writes them! I very much enjoyed this story that was mainly focused on relationships between sisters in the face of family issues. Despite the differences between Silly and her sisters, I found that each of them were easy to connect with and quite unique. Although there are a lot of difficulties that the girls deal with throughout this tale, I still thought that Rules for Stealing Stars was really hopeful. Also, I ...more
Judy
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-fic-post1948
rating: 3.5
shelves: contemporary with a streak of fantasy, social issues
who: 4 girls, ages 11, 12, and 14 (twins); mother dependent on alcohol, 'spacey' father
where: New Hampshire summer house by the ocean

The first few chapters are solidly grounded in the present day, but as the story develops the fantasy strand becomes progressively stronger, until the end when the story plummets back to reality. (The story closes before the father becomes dimensional, but that's probably intentional.)

All of th
Helena
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I stole a star. Borrowed a star. Because when you are sad, you need a little help, sometimes, getting happy again."

"Rules for Stealing Stars" by Corey Ann Haydu was astounding! The book got me hooked from the very beginning.

In the book, Silly and her three sisters (Marla, Astrid, and Eleanor) find an amazing way out of their lives where their mom suffers from alcohol and drugs and their dad has too much work to spend time with his kids. Their portal is this...a magical closet. Yes, a magical c
Great Middle Grad...: This topic has been closed to new comments. WIN Corey Ann Haydu's new MG! - COMPLETE 1 14 Feb 19, 2015 06:20AM
  • Wish Girl
  • My Diary from the Edge of the World
  • Fort
  • I Am Drums
  • Forever, or a Long, Long Time
  • Race the Night
  • A Clatter of Jars (A Tangle of Knots, #2)
  • Family Game Night and Other Catastrophes
  • The Astounding Broccoli Boy
  • Night on Fire
  • The Question of Miracles
  • Eleven and Holding
  • Beyond the Laughing Sky
  • The Stars of Summer (All Four Stars, #2)
  • Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3)