Start by marking “The Weight of Feathers” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Feathers

The Weight of Feathers

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  3,644 Ratings  ·  874 Reviews
For twenty years, the Palomas and the Corbeaus have been rivals and enemies, locked in an escalating feud for over a generation. Both families make their living as traveling performers in competing shows—the Palomas swimming in mermaid exhibitions, the Corbeaus, former tightrope walkers, performing in the tallest trees they can find.

Lace Paloma may be new to her family’s
Published September 15th 2015 by Thomas Dunne

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Feathers, please sign up.
Mary Mordica Also, the female main character has burn scars from an accident which is part of the story- she isn't disabled per se, but has a physical deformity…moreAlso, the female main character has burn scars from an accident which is part of the story- she isn't disabled per se, but has a physical deformity that she can cover with make up. (less)
Ezri There is mild swearing in Spanish and French. definitely none of the "seven words you can't say on TV' ala George Carlin though.

as far as sexual…more

as far as sexual content, no not really. there are scenes with kissing and touch between the main characters, but the most graphic it really ever gets is descriptions of Lace's breasts when she's swimming topless, and Cluck's imagining touching them.(less)

C.G. Drews
This book is so insufferably beautiful I don't even know what to do with myself?!? Laugh? Cry? Hug it? Stand upon a rooftop and shout about my affections? Duct tape the cover to my face so I can always be with it????? Honestly I'm so picky about books these days but this JUST STOLE MY HEART AND TICKED ALL THE RIGH BOXES AND I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS I'M EXHAUSTED.

It's already going on my "best of the year shelf" and I'm buying everything by this author ever.

WHAT ARE MY EMOTIONS DOING I DON'T EVEN
karen
He held a wet palm to her cheek. "I don't want you getting hurt."

"Everybody gets hurt," she said. "You know that."

this isn't the most "me" of all books, but i can definitely see its appeal for people who enjoyed books like Beautiful Creatures or The Night Circus or other stories featuring star-crossed lovers from feuding families with a fantasy/magical slant.

i snagged this one from netgalley because i liked the cover, i'd been hearing good things about it, and i've had good luck with circussy b
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I have a feeling I'm gonna get trolled for giving this one two stars.

I'm going to admit I am not cool enough for this book.

Shut up little Emo boy. I'm the cool mom. I bribe my kids to say so.

So you have Palomas and the Corbeaus families. They are both traveling performing families. They hate each other. I mean loathe each other.
The Paloma's act is the women are the mermaids in the show and they best do their jobs or Abuela will get them. You just don't cross that woman.

The Corbeaus used to
❄️Nani❄️
3.75 ⭐

I was initially sold on this when someone compared it to The Night Circus. It was nothing like the Night Circus. Aside from the fact that both are magical realism and involve a travelling circus crew, they couldn't be further apart.

I'm having trouble understanding my own feelings on this book so I’ll try my best to come across… understandable.

So, the story is about two rival families, the Palomas and the Corbeaus, who have been rivals and enemies locked in an escalating feud for over a g
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
5 Words to Describe The Weight of Feathers

1.) Engaging (adj.): very attractive or pleasing in a way that holds your attention.

"One does not wed hens with foxes."

You all know how much I hate flowery prose, but Anna-Marie McLemore made me fall in love with it. This book just had the perfect blend of easy-to-read and elegant writing. I mean, you could tell that the author writes some kick-ass prose that's still totally comprehensible and engaging.

It was really hard for me to put the book down--I re
Darth J
Sep 22, 2015 marked it as could-not-finish
DNF @ page 100

The Weight of Distracting Purple Prose

This book is nothing like The Night Circus!!! Stahp comparing it.

So we have 2 warring family of traveling performers. One swims in fake fish tails and pretends to be mermaids, while the other wears wings and does some tightrope act. Here's the twist: the "mermaid" family actually has some scales on their skin and the other family has feathers growing out of theirs.

There's supposedly some dark magic here but what it really just seems like is
Elyse
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
WOW... A Fantastical Tale!!!!! Just yesterday, I was high as a kite reading "Haroun and the Sea of Stories", by Salman Rushdie...(a Children's magical fairy tale), and
today, I'm swooning over "The Weight of Feathers, ( debut by Anna-Marie LeLemore).
This novel has a tribal feeling such as in "The Round House", by Louise Erdrich, to me with
and inventive cast of characters and scenes. It has a Romeo and Juliet feeling to it also by the
fact that two teens fall in love - but their families hate ea
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.5 stars. Review first posted on www.fantasyliterature.com:

The Romeo and Juliet story is updated with a few twists in Anna-Marie McLemore’s debut young adult fantasy novel, The Weight of Feathers, published September 15, 2015. Two rival families travel between small towns in California in a nostalgic setting that seems to be approximately the 1960s, performing their Cirque du Soleil-type acts for the townspeople.

The French Romani Corbeaus (“Ravens”) attach wings made of wire and feathers to the
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of The Scorpio Races or the Accident Season
Recommended to Elise by: C.G. Drews
Why her?
Because it was hard to make her laugh, and harder to scare her.

When I finish a magical realism book, I always feel as if I enjoyed it, but I can never quite articulate why. If I struggled to push through a book, can I even say I enjoyed it? I've had the same experience with books like Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races and Moira Fowley-Doyle's The Accident Season. and I think I've come to the conclusion that this genre requires a certain mood out of its readers. While you can apprec
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
We are not small enough that you can pull us where you want us to go.

I only have one word for you, Anna-Marie McLemore: THANKS.
giphy-14e28155258480823b.gif
This novel is everything I've ever wanted in a book, and way more.
Fantastic writing (that kinda reminded me of All the Crooked Saints by my goddess in leather bracelets Maggie Stiefvater...or is it the other way around?), beautiful and original magical realism and amazing characters.
I'll forever cherish this tiny gem and keep it close to my heart for coming days.
Rom
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant. This is a book to be savoured in bits. I'm glad I had the chance to read this slowly, burning the beautiful lines in my mind. Anna-Marie McLemore is right up there among the writers who truly create art and movement out of their sentences. If you like Leigh Bardugo, Maggie Stiefvater or Laini Taylor, and you haven't read any books by Anna-Marie McLemore, I urge you to pick one up. You won't regret it.
Rae
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Buddy Read with the lovelies Scrill and Ashlynn

AHH! I loved it!!

"He had taught her the language and the landscape, shown her this country’s trees, the secret thrill of almost falling."

"The sense of falling did not touch her, not as long as her body was between the hands of this boy who felt steadier in the air than on the ground."

We have all heard the story of Romeo and Juliette a thousand different ways, and we all fall in love just to have our hearts ripped out in the end. But what about
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

photo tumblr_static_9i013dua7604sk0g00w04g0s_zps1fet2rvg.gif

Very very cute. Just not...dazzling...in the way I wanted it to be. Don't get me wrong-it was beautiful. Just not for me. It wasn't a matter of the characters-because I adored them and was very invested and got lots of butterflies. It was the history. So. Much. History. And for someone who doesn't mind a little background information, this is perfect for you. The story was amazing. But, for me, when I'm as tired as I am, it took too much away from the romance I wanted to overtake the story.

RTC
Scrill
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Long before their fateful encounter, Lace Paloma and Luc Corbeau’s families have rivaled. With a history that involves death, these two families live and breathe hatred for each other. As traveling showman, both families couldn’t be more different; the Paloma’s performing with fins in the water and the Corbeau’s with wings on the backs up in the tr
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2016/01/09/y...

Lately, most of my audio listens have been on the darker and heavier side, so when I was given the opportunity to review the audiobook of The Weight of Feathers, it didn’t take much convincing to give this lighter, more romantic title a try. Magical realism can be hit or miss with me, but even though I hesitated over some of the mixed reviews I’ve seen for this book, ultimately the theme of forbidden love won me over.

With
Mari
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, diverse-recs

Full review to come!

This is my first finished book for #HispanicHeritageReads and it was a great start. I thought the right was constantly sweet and nice, if not always very sophisticated. The story was pretty simple, but I loved the underlying feeling that beneath this story of scales and wings and family feuds, there was subtle commentary about prejudice and the blindness of hate. I enjoyed it a lot and the highest compliment I can pay it is that I already miss the characters. I love Lace and
Stacee
I just don't have words for this book. It was perfection.

Love love loved Lace and Cluck. They're so similar and so different and loyal to their families. I wanted to jump in the book and squeeze both of them.

It's lyrical and whimsical and swoony and strange and sad and I loved every single page of it.

**Huge thanks to Thomas Dunne Books and NetGalley for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review**
Mackenzi
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a rare and beautiful book. Though calling it a book seems like an understatement, because really, it's an experience. It wrapped me up and held onto me, and I could smell it and touch it and taste it. At a few places, I started to cry just because it was so beautiful I couldn't stand it. And the writing is so good it made me sick with envy!

You need to get this book. And then you need to cuddle it and hold it close and just breathe it in.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This book was OUTSTANDING!!
I loved the writing, characters and the ending. No bad Romeo and Juliet juju here. I totally thought this book would not live up to the hype but I was WRONG. Excellent read!
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
i have no words. anna-marie mclemore has all the beautiful words. idk how to write reviews anymore. i just really really loved this! the atmosphere, the slow burn of it, it was just so good. it's a quiet book, it's not extremely plot driven (there is one but it's not what made me love this book), but the characters are interesting and every page reveals new layers of these characters to the reader in the lovliest way. i can't wait to read more from this author.4.5 stars
Alaina Meserole
After reading The Night Circus I have been wanting to dive into another circus related kind of book. So I was beyond happy that I found another book and then I fell in love because it was completely different from The Night Circus. Yes, The Weight of Feathers is about a travelling circus crew but it was such a good story and different from the other book. Again, I really enjoyed it!

The Weight of Feathers is about two rival families, the Palomas and the Corbeaus. Anyone thinking of Romeo and Juli
Giovanna
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

"Each feather became ten more. They spread like a thousand red lacewings. They rose like every one was its own bird, full and winged. They turned the trees to autumn, all red-feathered boughs."

Beautiful. Completely different from what I expected, but for once in a positive way. The Weight of Feathers is delicate and yet powerful, one of those stories that probably won't impress you from the start but take root in your heart in the
Jazzy
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
2.5 STARS

This was a fairytale of sorts, a retelling one of Shakespeare's most famous manuscripts. Through vivid descriptions and many secrets and family drama, McLemore created this spiraling romance fit for those who enjoy love stories, magical realism, and pretty words.

The characters...
OH, MY STARS CLUCK. Cluck is a Corbeaus. He was unloved and rejected by his family, and for his entire life, he struggles with knowing why. His side of the story was VERY sad, and I got made multiple times, bu
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
I have mixed feelings about this novel, but overall it just didn't hit the mark for me. Need to stir over my feelings a little.

Review to come!
Carol
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
***3.75 stars***
This story was very interesting. It's a Romeo and Juliet retelling with magical-realism sprinkled on there. I really liked the slow burn romance. At a first glance, Cluck and Lace are pretty average characters, but once we get to know them they have many unique characteristics. I really liked the writing, but I didn't love it how I was expecting to. This book is barely 300 pages long, so I do wish the story would've been longer. Overall, this was definitely a lovely story.
AbigailHaleigh
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

The Weight of Feathers is a strange and imaginative debut by Anna-Marie McLemore. There's young girls with scale-like birthmarks on their skin, and young boys with feathers growing out of the back of their hair. There's mermaid fins and faery wings, tree walkers and underwater swimmers. Two superstitious, competing-turned-feuding families who are traveling performers and who hate one another for what happened twenty years ago. Caught in the middle are Cluck, a Corbeau boy and the disg
nick
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Anna-Marie McLemore's The Weight of Feathers is one of the most unique books I've read in YA in a very long time. It's beautifully written, with a vivid and complex prose and has some lovely characters that shine through the pages. From start to finish, I was entirely enchanted with this lovely book.

The Weight of Feathers might take readers a little time to get adjusted to in the beginning because it has an unusual setting that you probably have never encountered before and it has a lyrical writ
Stacey Lee
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this book, hug yourself b/c it's like winning the lottery. It's so beautifully written, a modern Romeo and Juliet story but a whole lot more interesting. Lace and her family performs as mermaids in their traveling circus, while Cluck and his family are performing tree climbers. Every year the two families come to the town of Almendra during tourist season, dredging up old memories and wrongs. After a factory accident causing the cotton in everyon ...more
Britt
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
This book has turned out to be one of my favorites this year. It has beautiful writing as well as an intriguing plot. Throw in the bit of magical realism and it is the perfect combination of all things I love! This brilliantly crafted tale had a feel very similar to Romeo and Juliet except our M.C.'s don't tragically commit suicide at the end. There is plenty of feuding families and star crossed lovers though!This review was originally posted on Please Feed the Bookworm Click here to read readin ...more
Books & Feminism: The Weight of Feathers 2 9 Apr 27, 2016 06:20PM
Sirens Conference: The Weight of Feathers 7 25 Mar 25, 2016 09:28AM
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • Conviction
  • When I Wake
  • Out of Darkness
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Dreamstrider
  • 5 to 1
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
  • Romancing the Dark in the City of Light
  • Anne & Henry
  • The Wanderers
  • Dream Things True
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Valiant
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • Scarlett Undercover
Anna-Marie McLemore was born in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and taught by her family to hear la llorona in the Santa Ana winds. Her debut novel THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS was a Junior Library Guild Selection, a YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults book, and a finalist for the William C. Morris Debut Award. Her second novel, WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS, was longlisted for the National Book Awa ...more
More about Anna-Marie McLemore

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“He wore his loneliness like his scar.” 27 likes
“The sense of falling did not touch her, not as long as her body was between the hands of this boy who felt steadier in the air than on the ground.” 15 likes