Start by marking “Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly” as Want to Read:
Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly

Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly

Here is the ideal introduction to agile development. The book details agile principles, roles, managerial practices, technical practices and artifacts, offering a complete review that will help readers master all the important agile ideas.
Published April 22nd 2014 by Springer

To ask other readers questions about Agile!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile!

Start your review of Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly
Paul Butcher
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is deeply incongruous. On the one hand, it covers a topic that's in desperate need of high-quality debate, and contains many gems of insight. On the other hand, it makes assertions about what agile development is that I don't recognise, and falls into many of the same traps as it forthrightly criticises in agile texts.

The most egregious example of the latter is what's described in the book as the "Either-what-or-when fallacy", introduced as follows:

Agilists sometimes invoke the time-bo
Sergey Teplyakov
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Most books on agile methods are much more focused on their benefits, trying to show how it would be easy for the team to conquer the world with this new "almost silver bullet methodology". But what about drawbacks, what about contexts when the method should be omitted? Or what ideas should be adopted by every team and what could potentially harm? Agile methods is not a silver bullet and every experienced team knows it.

This perfect book by Dr. Bertrand Meyer is absolutely astonishing set of pragm
Heimo Laukkanen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I could have said that this was a bad read as there were places, where thoughts from the communities and authors were read and interpreted in ways that do not quite reflect the practices and ideas these days -- but then again that is exactly the value of good criticism and properly done dissection of texts published.

As a criticism -- no matter whether all of it is justified or not -- the book was a refreshing read and I will recommended it to some of my friends.
Gerrit Beine
Mar 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: agile, it, lean
Nothing that cannot be found on Wikipedia. But with a lot of cynism, fear and frustration.

Not worth spending some time of your life to read it.
سامح السيد
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book: The good, the hype and the ugly :)
1-The brilliant:
- deconstructing agile text and their traps
- reforming agile values and principles in a practical way
- showing agile genuine contributions and what exists before agile but made popular by the agile movement
- the topic itself: criticizing agile :)
2- The good:
- summary of most topics of agile
- uncovering special cases that are generalized by agile text and when the agile principle/practice is useful and when not
3- The hype
- discussion of
Christopher Wilson
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the clearest overview and explanation of the various "Agile" methodologies that I've ever seen. My only knock on this book is that it is written in a slightly stiff, academic style -- it feels like some things are covered more than once. That said, this book lays out exactly what is good and what is unnecessary from the Agile methods. It brings some overheated claims down to earth and connects allegedly new practices with decades-old industry best practices. Overall, I'd highly recommend ...more
David Bretz
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone that has had Agile thrust upon me in the workplace, it was comforting to know that someone of Meyer's credentials has the same opinions about the shortcomings of Agile that I have found in using it. The way that Agile has been implemented where I work simply does not work. I can see the good parts of Agile (TDD, iterations, etc.), but I see the bad parts, too. I like this book enough that I read it twice back-to-back.
Matthias
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The title of the book is very accurate and this book is very helpful to keep thinking instead of being sidetracked by the hype and dubious statements.
Roger B
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Well organized and comprehensive look of the essentials of the Agile SDLC.
Khoi
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that show the other flip of the coin of Agile, showing what works and and what need to be reconsidered. Although it does not give solutions to the problem it raises, still it is a worth read
Enrico
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Meyer è un eccellente pensatore analitico, e nel libro affetta ed esamina i metodi agili come il medico legale di una serie tv asporta organo dopo organo e, di ciascuno, documenta salute o patologia parlando al registratore portatile.

Il libro non funziona come introduzione ai metodi agili: non dà un quadro generale.

Per chi li pratica da un po', però, è prezioso per ragionare su punti di forza e limiti: Meyer è spietato nelle critiche ma, grazie al cielo, legge con lucidità, passione professiona
Hugo Demets
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programmeren
Dit boek geeft een helder overzicht van een paar populaire trends in software ontwikkeling, die 20 jaar geleden al bestonden maar vooral de laatste vijf jaar erg populair werden.
Het werk begint met in te gaan op de twaalf punten van het Agile Manifesto en de vier Agile-principes; daarna gaat de auteur voor een aantal Agile-methoden zin en onzin na van wat men voorschrijft.

Bertrand Meyer is professor in Zürich, Milaan en Innopolis (Rusland), maar staat ook met de voeten in de praktijk met zijn ei
Gleb Sevruk
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This is the first and the only book you should read on Agile. Every sentence has a realistic approach and doesn't have a purpose to sell you certificate.

Everyone should learn that agile was already in place already at 1960. It is a crap, when agile-coach says bullshit like "Innovative", "New approach","Estimate velocity". In essence, most likely your coach doesn't know what he is talking about.
Evo:

The Bertrand Meyer did a deep analyze of other agile books
Dolf van der Haven
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-devops
Great book to get a counterweight against a lot of overhyped Agile literature. I am studying for my PMI Agile Certified Practitioner exam and found this a refreshing approach to see Agile from a different perspective.
The author unfortunately bases himself on a somewhat limited number of books, albeit those written by the main proponents of Agile. Nevertheless, Agile in practice has matured beyond the sometimes extreme views in those books, so not all criticism is justified for practical Agile pr
Bindu Upadhyay
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: usi
I just couldn't focus on the text though. But great comparisons.
Alessandro
A must read to understand software management methods. This book is practical and direct. Moreover the author shows the strong and the weak points of agile methods, while giving for readers the option to conclude from themselves.
Pavleras
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must begin saying that this book is worth reading. even though I don't agree with his point of view. I've learnt a lot from his criticism. I missed the benefits of fast feedback loops and early customer einvolvement against upfront design and requirements phase.
Marco
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great review of academic studies and industrial practice regarding agile recommendations. Lots of example and anecdotes: funny to read. Useful the last part, in which the author classifies agile practices into ugly, hype, good, very good and brilliant to be adopted.
Muhammad Khan
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Here's my own unique-style of deep reviewing:
Thomas
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good book, but everybody has to read it 'til the end otherwise the message will not be complete.
Erik
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good overview, summary and evaluation of current agile methods.

--> Don't skip analysis and requirements but do deliver working software in short iterations.
Matt
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent overview of agile schools of thoughts and review of them in a software engineering perspective.
Vadim
Apr 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • The Science Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained
  • Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)
  • The Psychology Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained
  • Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)
  • Programming the Universe: A Quantum Computer Scientist Takes on the Cosmos
  • Rettet das Spiel!
  • The Velocity of Honey: And More Science of Everyday Life
  • Schmeckt's noch?: Die falschen Versprechen der Lebensmittelindustrie und wie wir einfach gesund essen können
  • The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets
  • Autonomy
  • Wer bin ich – und wenn ja, wie viele?
  • Die Chinesen: Psychogramm einer Weltmacht
  • Lords und Ladies/Helle Barden
  • Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century
  • Thinking, Fast and Slow
  • Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow
  • Monsieur Ibrahim and The Flowers of the Qur'an

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“To focus on the visible at the expense of the essential is irresponsible.” 1 likes