Start by marking “Please, Open This Book!” as Want to Read:

Please, Open This Book!

Books are made to be opened. Especially this one. But, guess what...

Someone closed this book! Who would do that?

Luckily, you can fix this. All you need to do is open it. You can do that. Can't you?

We need your help!

Please, Open This Book!

They warned you, but you just couldn't listen--now, the creators of Warning: Do Not Open This Book! are back with their zany monkey crew
Published October 6th 2015 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Please, Open This Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Open This Book!

Start your review of Please, Open This Book!
Hilary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
The monster characters were nice enough and I like books that encourage participation but this had very little to say other than don't close the book we (the monsters) will get stuck inside.
Panda Incognito
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Adults who will think it's funny.... and future psycopaths
Recommended to Panda by: Disturbed coworker
Tonight at the library, my coworkers and I were disturbed by this picture book, and eventually, someone put it in the Halloween/scary books display. I'm giving it two stars because the atmospheric art style succeeded and the animals were cute, but it was a rather alarming story.

This unoriginal breaking-the-fourth-wall picture book shows animals in distress, pleading with you not to close the book. "I get that," said one coworker, "but they were showing how they were INJURED AND MAIMED from someo
Kassiah
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-2015, childrens
Love the black pages. It made me sad to close it!
Lauren
I'm kinda sick of meta-books.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ha ha! Funny and very meta. The animals in the story don't want you to keep reading and finish the book, closing them in there.
Terri
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sent-for-review
Review originally posted on Le Book Chronicles

I really enjoyed this kid’s book. I thought it was very funny and kids would love it! I wouldn’t really recommend for kids over maybe 9 because it is aimed for the younger kids. But then again, I enjoyed it so why not? From a teacher's perspective I feel like there's a lot you can do with this book that I think students would really engage with. The illustrations were funny and very vibrant against the black pages, kids would definitely love them

It’s
Carrie Gelson
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, perfect second book. Laughed aloud in the bookstore and had to buy it. Love the brown mushy banana.
KC
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG So cute and so funny Love this writer and illustrator team
Abigail
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Enjoyed the First Book With These Characters
In this follow-up to his meta-fictional picture-book debut, Warning: Do Not Open This Book! , in which the narrator warns the reader of the dangers posed by monkeys, toucans and an alligator if they open the book, Adam Lehrhaupt once again depicts those various creatures, who are now begging the reader not to close the book they are holding. They show the damage done - monkeys in the dark, an injured alligator, an almost ruined banana - by the reader's last 'visit' with them, and continue to ...more
Emily Drake
Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books
Date: October 6th, 2015
Pages: 34
Genre: Children`s metafiction

Summary:

Please, Open This Book, sequel to Warning, Do Not Open This Book, is a work of Metafiction that encourages children to be a “book opener” instead of a “book closer”. In this book, the characters plead the reader to leave the book open so they don’t get trapped inside. Throughout the course of the book the main character, a red mo
Sadia Mansoor
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
I don't get what's the purpose of writing such books?! I mean it's only about "don't close the book, we all animals will die. Just keep the book open!"
Now, what are we learning from it? I understand not every other book is for gaining knowledge but some are for entertainment too. But that entertainment should be sensible as well. If this is the kind of books we are producing now, then I can also write one meaningless & purposeless book too, like this one & get an easy fame! :/
Seriously, I canno
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
What happens when you open a book?

I really wanted to close this one...Other books do this better. It is unfortunate because the animals and illustrations are wonderful. I just wish that they were in a different story--one that wasn't the same as all the other "fourth wall is broken!!!" books.
Garrett
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
This book was so good that I didn't want to close it! It's been open for days and all the characters are now gone. It's just a bunch of blank pages. This is a library book too, and I'm pretty sure they're going to charge me for losing all the characters...
Mary Catherine
I see myself reading this over and over and over and...
Danielle
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Genius technique and genuinely hilarious! Loved it.
Becky
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such a fun look at what happens inside of a book when you close a it, it left me tempted to never close another book again!
Angie
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Would be great for Kindergarten
J. Bryce
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, humor
Cute book! If you enjoy solipsistic kids' picture books, this is this year's entry!
Maggie KutsBorg
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meta-pbs
Another sad, sloppy, unimpressive attempt at breaking the fourth wall.
Michael Fitzgerald
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe slightly less tedious than the first one.
Danielle
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This book is mildly disturbing, and I'm pretty sure if anyone had read it to me as a child I would have been traumatized.
Viviane Elbee
The characters in this book speak directly to the reader, pleading for the reader to keep the book open so they can enjoy hanging out and eating bananas instead of being cooped up in dark pages. There were some funny jokes.
Melissa
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
1st grade
Ella Gordon
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book did not live up to my expectations like others from this author have. It felt too repetitive from the first book in the series. I think children would still enjoy this book but you definitely do not need both in your collection.
Asho
I started reading this book to my 5-year-old tonight and then thought to myself, "Oh boy, this might not go well..." This book features monkeys that are explaining how relieved they are that you opened the book, because the last person who closed the book did all this damage to the animals and their world. Basically, the gist of the book is "Don't close the book or you'll crush us!" Frankly, it's a little disturbing. And with my son, it could have gone either way. He might have genuinely gotten ...more
Erin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Upon opening this book, one is introduced to an entire world that lives inside the pages of the book. The inhabitance of this book are delighted to have someone open the book and give them a little light, but they spend every page trying to convince the reader to never close the book again.

I absolutely loved this book!! Even as an adult, I would unashamedly read this book over and over again. This book is funny and I love that the animals in the story really get to connect with the reader.

This
Katie
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, pb-4th-wall
This book can be funny, but it's not one of my favorite 4th-wall breaking picture books.

I'm going to fondly call this book "nightmare inducing." The characters plead not to keep going,
a la The Monster at the End of This Book, but the physical harm that comes to the characters takes on a darker tone due to the grim illustrations. The lesson of this book is - don't ever close a book - which isn't going to sit well with adults. And the fact that this lesson is punctuated by abused animals is har
Brooklyn Cribdon (The Wild Library)
I love it when books go meta like this. I can tell that this could be really fun when read aloud in the right way to the right audience. I think I'm too emotional for it though- I just really felt bad for the animals in the book! If a child with a super high emotional intelligence level reads it, they may find themselves in the same boat as me. *shrug*
Nicola
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

Unsurprisingly, we read this three times in a row. This is both a direct continuation 'Don't Open this Book' and a standalone. I don't like it as much as the first book; thankfully the emotional manipulation and injured animals didn't put
Katie Ritoch
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please, Open This Book is a cute story told from the point of view of the book characters. The characters urge the reader to not close the book as they are still repairing from the last time a reader shut the book. The book has good illustrations and is a funny book. This book would be great for early and intermediate readers and would be great for a class read aloud. This book is very simple and doesn’t a storyline so unfortunately doesn’t have many uses for the classroom.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Bear Came Along
  • You Will Be My Friend!
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • T. Rex Time Machine: (Funny Books for Kids, Dinosaur Book, Time Travel Adventure  Book)
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • Breaking News: Bear Alert
  • Don't Blink!
  • The Fate of Fausto
Adam Lehrhaupt is the award-winning author of Warning: Do Not Open This Book!, Please: Open This Book!, Chicken in Space (A six book series: Book 2 Chicken in School lands June 20, 2017), I Will Not Eat You and the upcoming I Don't Draw, I Color (March 21, 2016), Wordplay (July 2017), Idea Jar (Fall 2017), and This is a Good Story (Spring, 2018). He has traveled to six continents, performed on Bro ...more