Start by marking “School's Out (The Afterblight Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
School's Out (The Afterblight Chronicles, #3)

School's Out

(The Afterblight Chronicles #3)

It's never easy being fifteen, but when your teachers are killing each other, the prefect who loves to bully you is experimenting with crucifixion, and the rival gang from across town have decided that ritualistic cannibalism is the way to go, spots and body-odour don't seem like such big problems after all. These are the final days of St Marks School For Boys, and the pun ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 15th 2007 by Abaddon Books (Rebellion) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about School's Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School's Out

Adrian Faulkner
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd met Scott at the SFX weekender and decided to check out one of his novels. I have to be honest and say that teenage dystopian fiction isn't my cup of tea but this was well written (the fight scenes especially) such that by the time I'd got to the end of the book I was really glad I'd read it.
C.J. Mugleston
Wow. Just... wow. This book... absolutely amazing. This guy can truly write and write well. I sat down roughly six hours ago to start reading this novel and soared through every page to the end in one sitting. It's a glorious exploration of friendship, school life, survival and the darkest corners of human nature, also trying to resist that nature. A must read.
Grw
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story that starts off with our hero returning to his private school following a virus that kills off anyone without the 'O' blood group that is the core factor in this series of books, about different situations, by different authors.

Upon his return Lee finds the headmaster has killed himself - leading to one of the best opening lines of a book I've read in a long time - leaving the school in the hands of a wannabe military teacher, the likeable matron, and, most scary of all, the former
Brad T.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prepper-fiction, 2013
What a great book. Action packed, great characters, good pacing. Loved it!
Heather
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good if violent account reminds me of the first time I read "Lord of the Flies."
Andrew Martin
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Damn good, read the trilogy in about five days.
Helena Sheibler
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent. A relatable "Lord of the flies" with a healthy dose of humor.
Megalion
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The dystopian genre has been a big draw for me lately and this book did very well in appeasing my craving.

A pandemic has elimanated anyone without O negative blood. Leaving behind a motley & varied reduced population. The story centers around a boy's boarding school where the lead character, Lee, attends. He and others make their way back there in the hopes of finding safe haven with others and safe grounds too.

Of course it doesn't turn out as planned. The battles for survival are colorful
Ceejay
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This British post-apocalyptic novel is a real gem! It's been a long time since I've been sucked into a story the way I was with this book. I read once that there are no new plots, only variations on a theme. I tend to agree. It's variations like this that keep me reading. Apparently a virus has wiped out a goodly number of the English population. This first person novel explains the survival of a fifteen year old boy. The style, the story, the questions that are asked about survival make this no ...more
Charles
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Not really what I was hoping for, but enjoyable and fairly well-written nonetheless. I thought it would be more reminiscent of "Lord of the Flies," concentrating on the relationships between the boys in the school. It has, however, a pretty standard post-apocalyptic plot, cannibals included. Still, "School's Out" is a good meditation on leadership and morality, which provides some much needed substance to an oft mindless genre. Knowing that it's a conventional story, I'm not sure how likely I am ...more
Carol Dixon-Smith
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bloody, violent, funny; a post-apocalyptic world, totally broken down society, schoolboys with weapons, weird religious fanatics, locals who think they're judge, jury, & executioner - this book has it all in an addictive, pacey tale. What stops it from having four stars? The constant, repetitious angst about killing and not wanting too - I understood the character by the third period of angst! After that it could have been more subtly conveyed & more given over to the story. A great read ...more
Purple Osprey
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm trying to imagine somebody who would love this book, it would have to be true connoisseur of unrealistic cartoonish Tom and Jerry style violence.
Never mind the actual violence, but did it have to be so silly as well? For instance, at the end of the book - how come there's still so many people left alive and able to move around?
Plot is unoriginal, add all the TV induced cliches and oh fuck it I'm not bothered with this review.
David Brady
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal and awesome.

Lee has survived the Cull and now he's back at school. Apart from a little bit of homework, he's has to deal with psychopathic class mates, tweed wearing Daily Mail reading magistrate with an urge to kill and blood-soaked cannibals. Being a teenager has just got a lot harder....
Ryan Crampton
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Occasionally i like to slum it with some low brow cheap thrills and with a Blurb like that who wouldn't want to read it. If you like the sound of the description then it'll most likely satisfy. A surprisingly good read.
Cher
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
very grim

nks
An action-packed, shoot-'em-up post-apocalyptic story that manages to be as exciting as an action movie, but without intellectual vacancy.
Nan Todd
Jul 01, 2012
Brook Tobey
Mar 30, 2013
Michelle
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2014
Megan
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A good, fast-paced read. Solid characters, typical fight over territory kind of plot. The fight scenes were well written.
Shanna
Jun 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Arrowhead (The Afterblight Chronicles, #5)
  • The Culled (The Afterblight Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Ocean (The Afterblight Chronicles, #11)
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • American Exit Strategy  (The Economic Collapse, #1)
  • Lightbringers and Rainmakers
  • Dead Bitch Army
  • Down the Road: On the Last Day
  • Traveler (Joshua, #2)
  • Strong Arm Tactics (Wolfe Pack Book 1)
  • Death's Dominion
  • Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Apocalypse Law 2 (Volume 2)
  • Eden's Warriors (A Distant Eden)
  • Monsters
  • Rapture's Rain
  • The 17th Irregulars (299 Days, #6)
  • When Diplomacy Fails
Scott K. Andrews has written episode guides, magazine articles, film and book reviews, comics, computer games, audio plays for Big Finish, far too many blogs, some poems you will never read, and a whole bunch of novels. He's online at www.scottkandrews.com.

The Afterblight Chronicles (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Culled (The Afterblight Chronicles, #1)
  • Kill or Cure (The Afterblight Chronicles, #2)
  • Dawn Over Doomsday (The Afterblight Chronicles, #4)
  • Arrowhead (The Afterblight Chronicles, #5)
  • Operation Motherland (The Afterblight Chronicles, #6)
  • Death Got No Mercy (The Afterblight Chronicles, #7)
  • Broken Arrow (The Afterblight Chronicles, #8)
  • Children's Crusade (The Afterblight Chronicles, #9)
  • Arrowland (The Afterblight Chronicles, #10)
  • Blood Ocean (The Afterblight Chronicles, #11)