Start by marking “The Rose and the Yew Tree” as Want to Read:
The Rose and the Yew Tree

The Rose and the Yew Tree

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  794 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Alternate Cover Edition of ISBN10: 0006499481 and ISBN13: 9780006499480

A newly reissued edition of Agatha Christie's 'Mary Westmacott' novel, a Crime of the Heart novel about love and anguish across the class divide. Everyone expected Isabella Charteris, beautiful, sheltered and aristocratic, to marry her cousin Rupert when he came back from the War. It would have been suc
Published by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Rose and the Yew Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose and the Yew Tree

Leslie
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: christie-read
British politics, unhappy women, and dreaming of marrying your cousin. Yep, sounds like a great read. I have now read 3 of the 6 novels Agatha Christie wrote under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott. But unlike her mystery stories, I'm pretty sure I will never have a desire to re-read any of these. These are marketed as romance, but I find them too filled with depressing people with unredeeming qualities. Even the narrator here, Hugh Norreys, leaves something to be desired.
JackieB
Jan 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I had to abandon this because it was so grim. I think the narrator was suffering from clinical depression. There was a kind of emotional "greyness" in all of the events and people he described. He didn't seem to like anybody and frequently complained about how useless he was and how meaningless his life was. I got about half way through and couldn't take anymore.
Dane Cobain
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Rose and the Yew Tree is one of Christie’s pseudonymous novels, originally published under the pen name of Mary Westmacott. The novels which Christie wrote as Westmacott are usually referred to as romance novels, and while there’s a healthy dose of romance involved here, it’s more of a human interest novel than anything else.

Loosely speaking, the story follows the ruthless John Gabriel in his attempt to make it as a politician in a sleepy village, a man who would happily represent any politi
Pratiksha Das
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first Mary Westmacott novel and I picked it up thinking it'd be a mystery novel with either the odball M.Poirot or the adorable Miss Marple (both of whom I love). Instead, it turned out to be a romance. But did it disappoint me? Not in the least.
I throughly enjoyed perceiving the world through the eyes of Hugh Norreys, who, after being rendered invalid, has all the time in the world to observe people. Though it gets quite depressing, I will read it again.
Umut E. B. (Kareler ve Sayfalar)
An amazing novel about human psychology.
RanjuVel
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hope I shall not be mistaken if I call this, "Pages of nothingness". I seriously found not a single page interesting, or even a purpose behind each character's actions. Here you go: A male protagonist who broke his leg and lost his fiancé and is depressed at present. And he meets a girl, a princess who comes to his house everyday to sit with him and chat. He explains what gibberish they speak everyday in the same monotonous way. At last she marries a drunkard, who is not worthy to be called a ...more
Aslı M.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Arka kapağındaki yazıdan yola çıkıp baş kahramanlarımızın ilk yüz sayfada aşık olup sonraki iki yüz sayfada da aşklarının bedelini nasıl ödeyeceklerini okuyacağımızı düşünüyor olabilirsiniz.Tıpkı benim gibi.:)Bence öyle olmuyor.Ben mi anlamadım onu bilemem.Ama sanki bir kasabanın seçim zamanındaki yaşantısını,kasaba sakinlerinin düşüncelerini okuyoruz da arada da onlar geçiyormuş gibi hissettim.Aradığımı bulamadığımdan dolayı da kitap bana boş hissettirdi.
Yazım diline ise kesinlikle bir lafım yo
Alex
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absorbing book with interesting characters and themes you had to wrestle with !
Really enjoying her Westmacott's so far. Liked Teresa. John Gabriel not so much!
Nisha-Anne
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord, the skill and unnerving perception of Christie.

I love the choice she makes in a setting, how she unashamedly places a story in the midst of a small village with no pretence to exoticism or grandeur and then proceeds to ruthlessly delineate and unpack and thoroughly dissect the characters with a psychological insight that sometimes leaves me breathless and overwhelmed, struggling to contain so much intricacy of characterisation in my head.

And her clever use of symbolism, how unusual that ce
Giselle Gonsalves
May 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just can't digest this one!!
Kathy
Oct 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
I loved Agatha Christie and her odd little Belgian and her prim Miss Marple, so I expected that I would love her Mary Westmacott stories. Unfortunately I didn't... they were good stories, but I didn't feel the usual sense of accomplishment or enjoyment upon finishing it.
The Rose and the Yew Tree sounded intriguing; instead I was left feeling down and depressed. NOT how I want to feel at the end of a story.

I can't say that even trying years later that there was any change... although the stories
☯Emily
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is written by Agatha Christie under an assumed name. It is not a mystery, but a "romance." I would not have believed in the character of Isabella if I had not had my son. Isabella is calm and content wherever she lives because she lives entirely in the present unable to articulate her emotions and feelings. She does not understand that others are frustrated by her inability to express herself. In addition to the "love" element, there is much political machinations. The political world ...more
Trudy Pomerantz
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"My canary died when I was about five. It was quite well the night before - and in the morning it was lying in the cage - with its feet sticking up stiff - life that bird just now. I took it in my hand," she shivered. "It was > cold . . ." She struggled with words. "It - it wasn't real anymore . . . it was just a thing . . . it didn't see . . . or hear . . . or feel . . . it - it wasn't there!"

A book that shared similarities with Absent in the Spring in that it examined the theme of how well
Linda
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Hugh Norreys meets a mysterious woman while convalescing at the English country home of his brother. At first he is puzzled by Isabella Charteris's air of unperturbed serenity but as their friendship develops, he becomes irresistibly drawn to her. Sadly, he can only watch helplessly as she turns away from all that is beloved and familiar in her life and starts down a questionable path. Agatha Christie writing as Mary Westmacott blends romance, politics and war to create a thought-provoking story ...more
Fátima
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sempre achei que Agatha Christie era uma escritora que descrevia e compreendida os diferentes tipos de pessoas e neste livro ela descreve um conjunto de personagens de um modo único e dá uma visão impressionante das suas interacções. Não é apenas uma história com personagens invulgares misturadas com pessoas comuns, denota-se a sua energia e a individualidade com aquilo que dizem e sobretudo com aquilo que não é dito.
Li uma versão em português editada pelos Livros do Brasil, não muito cuidada, c
Ed
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: agatha-christie
Another non-mystery Christie. The relationships between men and women against the backdrop of small town post-war politics, seen through the eyes of Hugh, a man who has lost the use of his legs. Gabriel is a war hero and aspiring politician whose weakness is a crippling inferiority complex. The plot seems secondary to the characters. Some of them, Teresa, the wise sister-in-law and Isabella, the local "princess" are interesting.
Polly
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Two people who should probably never have met do meet and fall in love (but definitely not like) and make each other miserable. Sounds like a terrible story, but actually isn't, mainly because the people involved aren't that simple. Agatha Christie really could write (people who say she couldn't are dorks or haven't read anything she wrote), and some of her Mary Westmacott books are the best proof of that, because they're stripped of the Poirot foibles and so on.
Christina
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I feel like calling this book a book a "romance" is misleading. It's about human nature and behavior in many forms, and romance is just one of them. It's not a happy book, although I found the way the narrator grew throughout the story to be satisfying. My favorite character was the sometimes brutally honest sister-in-law.
Shopgirl
J'abandonne à la centième page.
Il y a clairement un problème de rythme, je n'arrive pas à entrer dans l'histoire ce qui est très rare avec Agatha ... J'y reviendrais peut-être mais je préfère passer à un autre roman, pouf le moment.
Charu
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Agatha Christie, writing as Mary Westmacott, is a master at describing people, places and incidents. She details her characters so well that they seem like somebody you might have known in real life.
Lee
Nov 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
oh this is dull, hard to believe this is an Agetha Christie book.
MJ
Feb 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Agatha Christie should have stuck to mysteries. I didn't care for any of the characters in this boring story written under her pen name.
Sunny Houk
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is ok, I guess. Not really what I think of Agatha Christie. It was interesting platform. Most of the characters' name I know someone with the same name. So it got confusing at times. The ending of the story had The House of Mirth feeling. There was mentioning of swearing but the ending hit me hard. I would rate this a 2.9.
Anupama C K
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52_books
It was very dragging
LillyBooks
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this one; it was too political for me. Also, we're told in the prologue what a horrible person one the characters is going to be and I frankly wasn't looking forward to that.
Norlela  A Y
Abandoned this book for a few other books before finally getting to the last page.
Pratiksha Gaonkar
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the amazing books by Agatha Christie....love the plot.....i couldn't stop reading it...it was interesting and full of suspence....must read for Agatha Christie fans!!
Anne Sophie
Publié sous le pseudonyme de Mary Westmacott, L’If et la rose est un ouvrage d’Agatha Christie, la « Reine du crime ». Pourtant, point de meurtre dans ce récit. En effet, l’histoire s’ouvre sur Hugh Norreys, le narrateur, appelé pour se rendre auprès d’un certain John Gabriel, qui se meurt. Le lecteur remonte alors le temps, et découvre comment Hugh a fait la connaissance de cet individu, un politicien devenu désormais homme d’Église. Or, rien ne le laissait supposer, car John Gabriel était quel ...more
Yoda Bor
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie n’a pas écrit que des romans policiers.
Entre les aventures d’Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple ou les Beresford, elle s’est aussi essayé à d’autres styles, en utilisant un nom d’emprunt.

La Seconde Guerre Mondiale est terminée et les personnages sont bien moins guindés qu’auparavant.
Ils se tutoient, font des études, parlent de divorce et même de s’enfuir avec quelqu’un d’autre alors qu’ils sont mariés.

Malgré tout, ils ressemblent tout de même aux grands stéréotypes qu’Agatha Christie a
Agatha Christie L...: Mary Westmacott - The Rose and the Yew Tree 1 5 Oct 26, 2016 04:25PM
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Come Walk with Me
  • The Lonely Furrow (Suffolk, #3)
  • Ruin Creek
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Wildwood Road
  • One Pair of Feet
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Six Mary Westmacott Novels: Giants' Bread / Absent in the Spring / Unfinished Portrait / The Rose and the Yew Tree / A Daughter's a Daughter / The Burden
  • Lie With Me (Lust in Translation) (Harlequin Blaze #413)
  • How To Enjoy A Scandal