Start by marking “Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond

Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond

There is no doubt about it�when breastfeeding and pregnancy overlap, the questions abound! In this, the first full-length book ever on the topic of tandem nursing, Hilary Flower gives comprehensive and in-depth answers to a wide range of questions related to breastfeeding during pregnancy and tandem nursing.

Drawn from a great reservoir of mother wisdom, this book pools th

Published December 1st 2003 by La Leche League International (first published July 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Tandem Nursing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Tandem Nursing

Julia
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up from the library of my local La Leche League group because we are in the process of adopting baby #3 and I am currently nursing baby #2. Ideally, I hope to breastfeed our adopted baby and I expect this will be most likely to work out if I'm still nursing our daughter, thus making me a tandem nursing mama. This book is chock full of information and personal perspectives on what it means to nurse two children at once and has a lovely encouraging, non-judgmental tone about wha ...more
Natalie
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed that it didn't have much about nursing a small baby through pregnancy, but it has lots of great information about the safety of nursing through pregnancy and what to expect. Also great nutritional info about how many calories to consume (2500!? What, do I LOOK like Michael Phelps!?), and very reassuring research about how your body is very unlikely to become deficient of anything as long as you're eating a balanced diet.
Holly
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
LLL was a lifesaver for me after the death of my daughter, Celeste. The night before her funeral I called the Austin LLL representative on duty, Rebel, at FOUR O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING, weeping because I was so engorged and in pain and I flat didn't think I could get through the approaching funeral. Without so much as a, "Couldn't you have waited a couple more hours before you called?" she gently and kindly talked me through what I needed to do. (And sending my dad out to the grocery store to buy ...more
Sonya Feher
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I read only the sections of this book that pertained to weaning. Of all the research I’ve done on weaning, this book was the most valuable resource. Whether you are ever planning on having another child, chapter 10, “Changes in Breastfeeding” will help you evaluate readiness for weaning, negative feelings you have about nursing or struggles with your child, how to but back with empathy. It offers very loving solutions for both mother and child. Also, be sure to read the anecdotes on pages 291-7, ...more
Anna
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I never intended to be this crunchy.

This was a helpful resource for me as I finished up a second pregnancy while still occasionally nursing a toddler. I thought my daughter would "self-wean" while I was pregnant because that's what everyone told me ... but when she turned two as I entered my third trimester and she still asked to nurse at bedtime, I decided I needed some input.

This book is well-researched, full of practical tips and good advice. I could have done without the long anecdotes at th
Danielle
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book chosen while researching child spacing. This is the only book out there written completely about tandem nursing, and since there's not a lot of scientific data about the practice (here or elsewhere in the world), the author is very dependent on testimonials written by mothers who attempted to nurse through pregnancy and/or to tandem nurse. Some were successful and others weren't. I learned a lot from the book about tandem nursing, but I also learned a lot about how long-term breastf ...more
Natalie
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nursing moms who are TTC or are pregnant
Recommended to Natalie by: a tandem nursing mom
Shelves: parenting
Nursing and trying to conceive? Already pregnant? Nursing a toddler and a baby?

This book will make you feel normal, not like the freak so many people will assume you are :-)

Everything from detailed dietary information to pictures showing nifty positions for your nursing toddler and new baby. It gives tips for if you're nursing a baby and pregnant again, to help make sure your baby is getting enough food or if you will need to add in some formula.

As far as I know, this is the only book out there
Jennifer Truman
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
this book is full of great research alongside personal success stories if tandem nursing mom's. Put my mind at ease and gave me answers for all the questions other people had while I was pregnant and nursing. Love the chapter on nursing nutrition.

Only two things I wish, that there was an update in the last 15 years with more research and that it had more of a chapter on dealing with the toddler side if tandem nursing including weaning strategies.
Karin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The value of this book lies in its uniqueness. There is still nothing like it. It has info for safety of nursing during pregnancy, weaning and the normal, but sometimes uncomfortable feelings which seem so prevalent while nursing 2.
Sydney
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was nervous about tandem nursing but after reading this book I was so much more confident in my choice to tandem nurse and how to overcome any challenges
Justina
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this while I was pregnant. I basically learned everything anyway, the hard way, but I think it would have helped me to know how hard it was for others. Everything I had read about tandem nursing before doing it myself was all rainbows and unicorns, and the truth is, tandem nursing is REALLY HARD. Especially in the beginning. And a whole lot of moms never quite figure out how to nurse both at the same time, and that's okay. I always thought it was just physically impossible for ...more
Alisha
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-education, 2011
this book really helped me at this point, right before having my baby and still nursing one. I wish I had realized how much it talks about nursing during pregnancy, and that THAT is when tandem nursing starts. I could have used it this whole TIME. It wasn't the suggestions on how to balance both needs that helped (though after this baby is born it may help most with that)-- for me it was the honest recollections of how the mom felt emotionally while being so needed by more than one baby.

Glad to
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought this when I was nursing while pregnant. Now six months later and long after I've weaned my older, I finally got around to reading it. I did wish I'd read it back then. It would have helped me have a better attitude about dealing with the pain during breastfeeding, and maybe a better way of dealing with the situation. Still, I found it interesting to read because a lot of it applies to the situation I now am in - having a newborn and toddler. Even though the toddler does not nurse, a lot ...more
Kate
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
i skipped a couple chapters since they probably won't apply to me (adopting and twins) but overall it was a really informative book. however, i was hoping it would be a more of an encouraging "you will get through this" type of tandem book. it was in some areas but i was just looking forward to reading quite a few stories of women not losing their milk supply during pregnancy but instead it was the opposite. oh well, im sure i will find this book much more useful and helpful when i become pregna ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have really mixed feelings with this book. I think there was a lot of good information, but I almost feel discouraged about tandem nursing. I don't know if reading the logistics and possible problems was more intimidating than I expected, or some of the photos that just look so exhausting that make me nervous about our tandem journey. I did really enjoy the mother's stories at the end because they assuaged some of my fears and made the process sound manageable even though there may be some spe ...more
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really helpful book for anyone who is still breastfeeding when she becomes pregnant again. Lots of good information about what to expect and it's still useful even if you don't plan to still be nursing the older child when the baby is born. Although, there's lots of help for managing nursing two at once also, once the baby is born!
Heather
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found it very interesting and reassuring for any future pregnancies I might have while breastfeeding. I wish it had more information on nursing a small child while pregnant- most of the stories were of toddlers and not babies who are still so dependent on breastmilk for nutrition. But interesting and I'm glad I read it and I know why it's always checked out at the library.
K
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
It really helped me envision the logistics of nursing two. I think the most disappointing part of the book was that because there are so few studies of tandem nursing - and the studies that exist have tiny samples - it's hard to make a fact-based decision about nursing through pregnancy, particularly if you're experiencing a pregnancy that has some complications.
Sara
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book & knowing what my options are if I am in this situation. I loved reading other women's stories, their anxieties, emotions etc. towards this topic. I found it very helpful to know there is a great resource out there if I need it. it was very easy to read; to put down & pick back up. The chapters were broken up easily.
phoenix
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2008, parenting
If you happen to need it, this is a great book, full of information that is otherwise difficult to find and complete with real life stories from women who have survived and at times thrived with this particular mamahood challenge.
Claire
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A must read for nursing mothers with siblings, whether you nurse more than one at a time or not. The stories of other women validated and normalized just about every dark/wierd/crazy thought that I had or other worries. Such a precious collection.
Katrina
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for those mothers out there you are pregnant while nursing, considering getting pregnant while nursing, or find themselves nursing two little ones. Very well researched with lots of personal anecdotes from many mothers also.
Elizabeth
Feb 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Gave many perspectives and I really appreciated the inspiration and acknowledgment of all different choices.
Vicki
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: breastfeeding
This book really tried to discourage you from tandem nursing. The only part I found useful was the section on how to nurse two children at the same time.
Meredith
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a guide for tandem nursing, which includes both continuing to breastfeed an older child during pregnancy and breastfeeding two singletons of different ages.

Leani
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Leani by: La Leche League
Shelves: paper-book, family
An excellent book on the very wide range of experiences possible while nursing during pregnancy and tandem nursing.
Christine
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for the pregnant mother with a nursing child who just doesn't want to give up nursing. Very reassuring book that gives lots of info on the stages of tandem nursing.
Carrie
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-nightstand
This book has been an invaluable resource so far in my pregnancy, and I can only see it being more useful in the coming months leading to my son's birthday "...and Beyond".
Jen
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good source of info on breastfeeding during pregnancy, even for those not planning on continuing to after the next baby is born.
Haha
Dec 12, 2015 added it
goof

• Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding
  • The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN
  • Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • My Child Won't Eat: How to Prevent and Solve the Problem
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth (Revised)
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide for Breastfeeding and Staying Close to Your Baby after You Return to Work
Hilary Flower lives in Florida with her husband, Ben, and their children, Nora Jade (7), Miles (4) and Ramsay (5 months). She holds a B.A. in English from the University of Virginia and an M.A. in Geological Sciences from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Her writing has appeared in many magazines, including Mothering Magazine, Salon.com, and Brain, Child. Hilary Flower is also the auth ...more