Start by marking “American MaleWhore in Tokyo” as Want to Read:
American MaleWhore in Tokyo

American MaleWhore in Tokyo

Being a male geisha is hard work… but it’s got great benefits.

John Box can’t believe he’s being paid to drink. Fed up with his ho-hum teaching gig, he takes his shallow, fun-loving self to Japan’s red-light district… and lands a job at a host club. Getting paid to drink beer, flirt, and entertain women every night feels an awful lot like his American dream.

As he sinks dee
Published February 14th 2014 by CreateSpace (first published February 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about American MaleWhore in Tokyo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American MaleWhore in Tokyo

Start your review of American MaleWhore in Tokyo
Melki
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous-fiction
Who in their right mind would pay someone to get drunk and hit on women?

The fucking Japanese. That's who!

John Box is 33 (practically middle-aged!) when his dad commands him to move out of the basement and get a job. Since the "writing smash-hit novels" thing didn't work out as planned, Box decides to go with his other talent - getting "snotted and picking up chicks." So, he pawns a car (not his own!) and heads off to the Land of the Rising Sun to fulfill his dreams.

He signs on as a "host" at
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, snark
John Box Aka Piston Honda...well he is a douche-bag, selfish, arrogant little turd. But guess what? I liked him for some damn reason.
He pawn's off his mom's car and takes off to Tokyo to make his fortune as a male host (gets paid to get drunk/schmooze women). He mainly wants the money and the booze.

Would I sleep with him. Not. He has eye herpes from sleeping with that old broad. Plus I is happily married. :P

Plus I don't know what half the positions on his price list are. Must less how to do the
John Box
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course I'm gonna give a book about me a 5-star rating. I'm a douchebag.
Randee
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got interested in Japan's host clubs after seeing my favorite Japanese actor in the TV series, "Teioh" which was about an owner of a male host club. Subsequently, I watched a documentary on male host clubs in Japan and found it fascinating. When I came across this book of an American becoming a host in a Tokyo club, I had to read it. I couldn't help but find the American, given the host name Piston Honda, irrepressible. We wouldn't get on at all if he lived next door or was a friend of one of ...more
Fabsolutly Fab Nylund
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Rikey... NO, I ROVEY!!!!!

American Male Whore in Tokyo is a riot! Somehow, this douche bag is so likable you can't help but root for and eventually fall in love with him. Piston Honda is a melting pot of raging hormones, borderline alcoholism and an endearing naivete and positive outlook on life. All of this, of course, makes him a sociopath to the point of selling his mother's car to finance his trip to Japan.

I love the chapter titles, the quotations and Fun Facts. In fact, if you missed read
Jillyn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is well outside my normal wheelhouse of books. I do love Japan, and I like to laugh, so I decided to give this one a go. That said, I am so glad that I got a chance to read this, because it's fucking funny.

It follows the saga of Piston Honda, a douchebag who works at a Japanese host club. It's full of clubs and sex and debauchery and Japan and it's one beautiful disaster of hilarity.

I don't understand why "Piston Honda" aka John Box is so likable, but he is. Picture that one rock sta
Gabbo Parra
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
American Male Whore in Tokyo (Fun Facts Edition)

I received a free (un-signed, you douchebag) copy of #AmericanMaleWhoreInTokyo in exchange for telling the truth and nothing but the truth, so help me Box.

John Box is the straight yin to my gay yang. And I say this with the straightest of faces even though there is nothing gay about Mr. Box (even when he is dressed like a school girl and molested in a crowded train). Nevertheless, any man, no matter his persuasion, dreams of being pay for doing wha
Andy
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not for the P.C. crowd. There are parts of the book that are HILARIOUS! There is one particular insult in the book that is so great, it makes the book worth buying and reading.

When I read "American Psycho", I found it too disturbing. I read a review which indicated that perhaps all the terrible things that were happening were just taking place in the central character's mind. About 1/3 of the way through the book, I started using the same trick with American MaleWhore in Tokyo. I decided that al
Jericho DeBerziac
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. It gets you into the Japanese culture in a way that I’ve never seen before with a very American point of view. It’s funny, irreverent, and a great overall story. I highly recommend it if you like American abroad stories, or stories about broads American’s want, or karaoke, or Japanese slang, or humor, or learning about people having a great time getting paid to do the naughty dance. Any of these reasons are perfect for getting you into the story. Once you’re there you’ll ...more
Jason
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was hilarious, entertaining, philosophical, and culturally enlightening. I knew next to nothing about japan before reading this and now I feel I have a decent amount of knowledge of it. This book reminded me of The Alchemist which is a very high compliment as that is one of my favorite books. Sometimes when I read funny books, I feel like I'm wasting time but this was not the case while reading American MaleWhore in Tokyo. I was laughing constantly while learning and thinki ...more
Allan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The author is one sick, and twisted individual. I have never read a book similar to this in my life. I found myself snorting with laughter. I could not put this book down. It is a work of genius. I did find myself googling topics and words I did not understand. I don't think I've had to do that with another book. I cant even describe how awesome this book is. 5 stars, when it deserves 10.
I am deeply disturbed that I actually grew to really like the main character. I also felt my self emotionally
Harold Walters
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
American Male Whore In Tokyo — a GoodReads Giveaway Book

The television show Mr. D — a weekly series about a school teacher — opens with a voice-over of Mr. D rapping, “I’m awesome, I’m awesome.”

Sadly, but hilariously so, Mr. D isn’t awesome. Rather, he’s a bit of a jackass, and therein lies his appeal.

When asked the three words that best describe him, John Box, the American male whore in Tokyo, crows, “Awesome, awesome, and awesome.”

Sadly, but hilariously so, John Box isn’t awesome. Rather, he’s
Pat
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a First Reads selection for me, a win in a Goodreads giveaway.

As one reviewer said, this may not be your Grandma's book; but this Grandma liked it.
Having been to Japan and stayed in Tokyo; I enjoyed getting an insider view of the Host and Hostess Clubs. It allowed a close look at a Japanese society that has a very raw and seedy underbelly; hidden beneath the polite, highly structured facade.

Jack Box, aka Pistol Honda, is a young man who has a dream to make a lot of money, have a lot
Jessica
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John Box is a 33 year old American man who still lives with his parents. After stumbling upon the title of his mothers Accord under the floor board of her bed. He gingerly sold it for a one way ticket to fulfilling his dream of becoming, The Great White Host.

Following The Great White Host in his conquest to become number one in Japan (but seriously just wants to be payed to get drunk and hit on women). We meet a colorful cast of people from Tokyo's underbelly, friends, co-workers, clients, wome
Lisa Cromwell
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I won this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaway. In no way has this influenced my rating or opinion of this book. Thank you to Goodreads and to Rowen Boozewell/John Box/Piston Honda for this opportunity!**

This was purely a fun read. I laughed throughout the entire book. This made me think if there was a love child between Dumb and Dumber and Idiot Abroad...this book would be it! I learned a lot about the Japanese culture that I was not aware of. I now look forward to reading Memoirs of
Ashley
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun all and all read.
Just when you thought ok I know this character now....BLAM!!! He hits ya with an outrageous funny situation and this book is FULL OF THEM!

I enjoyed the many characters, places, events, and experiences. (May e he should go to the doctors about liver cirrhosis ... Lol.. Now really go now!!!) this book took you on a magical journey to a unfamiliar world for many, to a exciting new profession, and every mans fantasy!! They culture shock was minimal them I would have
Rick
Mar 11, 2015 marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I am not quite sure what I expected coming into this book but what I found was just not interesting to me in the slightest. I tried to give it a fair shake but I just can't finish it (which does not happen often at all). I even took a couple of weeks off and came back to it but was just too bored to continue. The writing itself is fine, it is just the storyline (not even sure I would call it a plot at one third of the way into the book) is just not there for me. I can't really give it a star rat ...more
Lee Parker
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this for free through Goodreads First Reads

I finished this book, shaking my head, thinking what in the hell did I just read. It is very odd for me to hate every single character, and still enjoy the story. It was humorous, crude, and offensive, but still great fun to read.
Ross Sharrott
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a legitimately funny book that people should read, particularly those with an interest in the seedy side of Japan.
Jeremy
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This kid offered me a free copy of his book. I took it. I appreciate the opportunity to read a writer's work, for free doubly so. I also applaud the effort and commitment entailed in the simple act of pressing keyboard buttons until 370 pages of text are brought into the world.

My thoughts on this novel:

First, I give American Male Whore in Tokyo a qualified four stars, based on my attempt to read it on its own terms. It must be read on its own terms because it is a vanity pressing—self-published.
Brad Lucas
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
As another reviewer said "reading this was similar to watching 'The Hangover'. Not because of plot, but their humor is similar."

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy The Hangover and I didn't particularly enjoy this book either. There were a few chuckles, but for the most part I found the humour to be overly juvenile in many parts and, in a few places, cringe-worthy - which, I get the impression, was the author's intention.

The book felt a little too long for a story that really didn't go anywhere, but
Tony Parsons
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
John Box (33, aka Piston Honda) moves to Tokyo, Japan to go to work as a Host (Male Whore) for Gutter (24, m) who owns the Club Cirrus.
What do their jobs entail?
How will all the characters’ lives turn out?

Warning: This book is for adults only & contains extreme violent or graphic adult content or profanity &/or sexually explicit scenarios. It may be offensive to some readers.

I did not receive any type of compensation for reading & reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishe
Eiain
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
John Box wanted the American dream, well, his version of it at least, but not really in America or a dream for that matter. Tokyo, sex and booze, lots of booze wad the real dream, in the form of a host, a club host. Yes, being paid to drink with the ladies, and of course with that comes sex, eventually that is. Que the Makura Menu, knife wielding bunny-boilers, oh, and more booze, and you have a story.

Fun Fact: This book is as addictive as Box's lust for life, women, fun and booze.

Before thinkin
John
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't let Grandma see this one! She'll tell you it's filth, smut or trash. That said, I really enjoyed the story. The characters were interesting and diverse. This story will by no means show you the virtuous sides of humanity. But, sometimes that's exactly what we want. This book delivers an excellent view of the underbelly of humanity, and the shallowness we can sometimes exhibit. If you're looking for a hero, or an upstanding main character keep looking. But, if you are looking for a fun dive ...more
Tom Malinowski
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an intriguing read. John Box decides to become a host for the bar, Cirrus, in Tokyo. What that exactly entails becomes a journey of raw dialogue, hilarious circumstances, and painful interactions with his co-workers, his clientele, and himself. This is a glimpse of a world I know nothing about it and that had me hooked throughout. Peppered with enough humor and insight to balance the grit and sleaze!
Wendy Jensen
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
An American slacker (still lives in his parents basement at 33 years old) "party boy", John Box moves to Tokyo after selling his mother's new Honda without her knowledge. He becomes a "host" and is given the name "Piston Honda". His type of job, get paid to party and not have to work in the general sense. The story is about his short stint as a "host".

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Emily
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recieved this book from a goodreads competition.

A very, um, honest? character who for some reason I love despite the idiocy + assholeness which is very much a large part of his personality.

Not sure I can explain much of a story line but I had fun trailing along and living through Johns character, like a bit of a leech.

It made me laugh anyways so thumbs up!
Darcee Kraus
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover but in this case what you see is what you get, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Boozewell is funny, offensive and charming as hell as he takes you through his adventures in Tokyo.
Jay
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty funny read, however there are times when you really hate the protagonist. However I am pretty sure that's the point. Overall it's pretty good especially if you are interested in Japan in any way. Easy read, as Rowen's style is easy to go with. Overall I say go for it.