Start by marking “Fated and Fateless” as Want to Read:
Fated and Fateless

Fated and Fateless

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is a tale of love, corruption and greed set in a past era in colonial Hong Kong, spanning four decades from the late 1940s – a period marked by patriarchal bigotry, gender discrimination and Western ideals beginning to clash with Chinese conservatism.

Wendy, the self-made corporate executive, has strong faith in free will and conscientious choices, but has a hard time
Published January 30th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fated and Fateless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fated and Fateless

really liked it 4.00  ·

Ace
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alice is a GR friend and I have wanted to read her book for some time now. I downloaded it the other day on the spur of the moment, and started reading, putting aside the 5 others I had already started and I kept reading until the end!

The book is heavily Hong Kong based in characters and surrounds and traditions and it’s culture. If I didn’t live here, I may not have been able to keep up with the surnames and place names around Hong Kong. But lucky for me, I know the likes of Ice House St, Wyndh
Debbie Zapata
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: saturdaymx
First I would like to say that Alice Poon is a GR friend of mine, but I paid full price for my copy of this book, and the opinions expressed here are completely my own.

Hong Kong. A vibrant, busy city, almost a world of its own. High finance, real estate deals, high society life, a lot goes on in Hong Kong that most of us have no idea about. In this book we meet Wendy Kwan and Diana Lee, both of whom are big players in the city's business world, and we follow their entwined lives as they each lea
Elyse Walters
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Alice Poon's book that takes place in Hong Kong ..... Years span from the 50's to 80's

At the start we are introduced to Wendy who is living with her mother, grandmother, and alcoholic - gambling father.

They are poor. Wendy goes to work before finishing her studies in school to help bring in money. She works hard... You often can see her heart- compassion- and her love & protection of her mother.
You don't see Wendy feeling sorry for herself...

But...,
She does have a
Johanna Zanten
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
REVIEW

FATED AND FATELESS
By ALICE POON

This book starts in Hong Kong where Wendy Kwan lives with her parents and her younger siblings, as well as her grandmother, all cramped together in a two bedroom flat. Her father works, but spends his salary on booze and gambling, and goes into serious debt that her mother then tries to pay off. Her mother glues paper bags for a living, at home. They are relatively poor.
Wendy starts at an all English school and goes on to high school. She cannot stay in sch
Amber
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review. This was a pretty good read. It is a story about fate, forgiveness, success, and about several friends who grew up in hong kong in the 60's up to 1987. It was a good story about morals and finding love. I would definitely recommend this to others.
Lauren Kathryn
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-arr-reviews
Fated and Fateless is a classic example of why I love to read.

I love the fact that I can learn so much, especially concerning other cultures, through the thoughts of an author. We had politics, Chinese cultures and details on social classes in the late 1900's. Anyone who knows me, knows that I really do not read historical fiction unless something really intrigues me. It has to capture my attention and hit me with a really hard poignant story line.

Fates and Fateless, you have entered my exclusiv
Alice Poon
Feb 17, 2014 marked it as books-i-authored  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: asia-themed
Hong Kong Blogger Big Lychee (formerly: Hemlock) said this about "Fated and Fateless" in his blog post of January 23, 2014:-

“Don’t be fooled by the girly cover. Set in the 1950s-80s era, it’s (judging by the first few chapters) a tale of good versus evil, in which the rags-to-riches heroine works her way up into a position where she might be able to turn one of Hong Kong’s notoriously greedy, cheating real-estate empires into a force for social good, only to come up against a property tycoon’s s
Lisa
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Fated and Fateless” is a tale of love and hatred, of the desire to break the social rules of traditional China, of ambitions and moral strength.
The author tells us a story about two women, beginning from their childhood and moving further on with their lives. At first sight the plot may seem a bit banal, showing one upper-class girl, Diana, who always gets what she wants without the need to stir a finger for it, and the lower-class girl, Wendy, raised in a dysfunctional family, who’s never rel
Ann
Donna Schubert
Frederick Rotzien
Karen Bainbridge
Mar 10, 2014

Born and raised in Hong Kong, I was privileged with a bilingual and bi-cultural education. Chinese history and poetry, Jin Yong novels, English, French and Russian classics have colored my life and imagination.

Always fascinated with iconic but unsung females in Chinese history and legends, I cherish a dream of bringing them to the page. The Green Phoenix set in 17th century China, released in Sept