Start by marking “M in the Demon Realm (M in the Demon Realm, #1)” as Want to Read:
M in the Demon Realm (M in the Demon Realm, #1)

M in the Demon Realm

(M in the Demon Realm #1)

Korean adoptee Emma Ricci has big plans. A graduate of New York's Fashion Institute of Technology, Emma dreams of starting her own fashion line and marrying her boyfriend, Adam. For now, she waits tables in a Korea Town restaurant.

When two masters of Chinese mysticism tell Emma she's the last in a long line of demon hunters, she assumes she's met two of New York City's cra
Published January 27th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about M in the Demon Realm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about M in the Demon Realm

Start your review of M in the Demon Realm (M in the Demon Realm, #1)
Jim
May 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Full review: https://girlswithguns.org/m-in-the-de...

I feel a little uncertain about reviewing this, since 1+2 are basically two-thirds of a single novel. Or maybe two connected novellas. Oddly, the three entries get longer as they go, starting at 110 pages, increasing to 160 for the second and finishing off at around 210. I’ve been waiting for the third and final part to show up on special offer for a while, but it hasn’t happened. The first two parts were somewhat intriguing, just not enough t
Piret
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won the book from the giveaway. The book is thrilling and filled with fast paced action. Emma is an interesting character that keeps you turning the pages and wanting to know more of her story. Great first book, can't wait for the next one.
Rochelle
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok . I especially loved the fighting scenes, they were the best written sections. Full review to come.
Tarran
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story idea. I thought the characters were very unique.
Katlyn
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Not my cup of tea but it was okay.=)
B.E.
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a really tough time getting through like the first half of this - not because it was slow or uninteresting, but because it was all 'short attention span theater'. No scene breaks. No chapters. One sentence you're here and the next you're there. But I forged ahead and I was glad I did because it really is a kickass story. I mean, once you get used to the totally off-the-wall way of storytelling. Maybe if I was younger I could've handled it better and it would've been a five star read for me ...more
Leslie Wiederspan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a very unique style in which there are no chapters. It was just a continuous thought almost. This made it difficult to determine how much time had passed. It could have been a day that M was in the hospital, or 3 weeks. But it was well written and kept the reader's attention. The flash memories made the characters more interesting.
Michelle
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

M in the Demon Realm is a crazy ride. I loved it and read it straight thru. Give it a try
Peter Cornell
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving

Very fast moving fantasy adventure. M is quite the hero. Her Chinese helpers are well defined characters. Quick fun read.
Kat Mandu
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Kat Mandu says...

Emma’s world is about to get turned upside down when she discovers she’s a demon slayer. It doesn’t help that she’s injured badly in the process, has to deal with her boyfriend’s death, and has to train in time to defeat an ancient evil that’s going to consume the world.

Fashion designer Emma thinks her life is normal until the day she feels evil following her, and she and her boyfriend, Adam, are attacked and left for dead. When she heals, she meets two men who insist on telling
Kristin Scearce
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy in exchange for an honest (not necessarily positive) review.

When I read the blurb for this book, I was highly intrigued, so I was excited to be able to read it for review. The story is very interesting, with an exciting premise, and it's definitely pulled me in to where I want to read the second part.

The only drawback (for me personally, not necessarily a bad thing for everyone) was the writing style itself. It comes across as more of a description of somethin
Luna Lovebooks
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the synopsis for this novel, I was fascinated. The story has an exciting premise and lots of potential! It pulled me in with the background story of M and the way the modern world is mixed with mysticism and end of the world doom. The characters are interesting and intriguing as well. This story gave me a Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibe but with the Chinese twist.

Sadly the writing style prevents me from making this a
Yvette Nachmias-Baeu
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The writer has the ability to write in minute detail the continuing
encounters with demons which are frightening, bloody, and relentless,
in a way that brings you into the story and
keeps your heart pounding and at the same time creating characters
that you can relate to.

Telling a supernatural story as if it is truly possible,
and even likely allows us to define for ourselves the graphic reality of good
and evil and while it is fantastical, gives us hope that good will triumph over
evil.

For people who
Rebecca Skane

A short, fun little novella - part one of a series of a lone demon hunter, the last of her kind. A bit predictable and lacking in description, but fun all the same. Full review: M in the Demon Realm Review
Tamsen Fadal
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling, powerful and smart. Emma Ricci is one of those character that just keeps the pages turning. M in the Demon Realm takes us to another place and makes us long for more. Author Mark William Hammond has married modern day with mysticism with New York City as the incredible backdrop - a New York City we have never seen before. A must read!

Lacie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

This story has a lot of potential. The only turn off for me was that there was more telling than showing. Don't tell me M is pissed or that she is getting better at training, show me in her actions, the things she says/does, the way other characters view her etc! But I still really enjoyed it and can't wait for the second!
Jessica
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free as a good reads giveaway winner.

I liked the concept of this story, but had a hard time getting into it. Emma was fun character and I liked the background details. I’m going to give it another chance to grow on me, sometimes I just need to re-read a book without my kids being around to get into the mood of the book.
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun story with modern day humor. Could use a tad more editing but I think that young adult or early 20's is a great audience for this. Looking forward to the next books!
Ben Morris
rated it did not like it
May 17, 2016
Jenn
May 05, 2016
Meghan
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book awhile back and still keep thinking about it..so I would say that means it was pretty great

• The Adventures of Kathlyn
  • Maggie for Hire (Maggie MacKay, Magical Tracker #1)
  • Angelbound (Angelbound Origins #1)
  • The Azrael Initiative (Kayla Falk Series, #1)
  • Nightblade (Nightblade Epic #1)
  • The Trial (Pulse, #1)
  • No Tomorrow (Killing Eve, #2)
  • The Dublin Hit: Book 1 of the Sauwa Catcher Series
  • Should Be Dead
  • The Feral Sentence (The Feral Sentence #1-4)
  • Touching Infinity (The Rogue's Galaxy, #1)
  • Petra (Immortal Codex Book 1)
  • Ink Mage
  • The Girl with Ghost Eyes (The Daoshi Chronicles, #1)
  • A Gun For Honey (Honey West, #2)
  • The Smoking Gun Sisterhood
  • Jet (Jet, #1)
I live and write in New York City. I love the cacophony of so many different people living together, all of us mostly wanting it to work and revealing the human kindness and generosity of spirit just underneath. Amazing, exhausting and inspiring. It can be way too noisy and incredibly inconvenient at times, but every day there is a miracle if I only look and listen for it.

Thanks for checking me o

M in the Demon Realm (3 books)
  • M in the Empire of the Dead (M Series, #2)
  • M and the Last Hell Gate: Book Three (M in the Demon Realm, #3)

News & Interviews