Jump to ratings and reviews

Pieces of Me

One second. Seventeen-year-old Corinne has everything. Her life. Family. Friends. Boyfriend. But in that one second, she loses it all. Now she's left with harrowing nightmares. Hallucinations. And panic attacks that seem to come out of nowhere. She tries everything to take the pain away, but there's only one option she sees as a true way out. When Corinne is sent to live in a psychiatric institution, she doesn't want to talk. It's pointless. They can't help her. But slowly Corinne opens up and wants to remember what it's like to be happy so she begins reliving her past life to her doctor. She knows she can't live in the past, but she sees no future and is faced with the hardest decision of her life.

302 pages, Paperback

First published August 13, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Carrigan Richards

16 books130 followers
Carrigan was born in Cullman, Alabama, but grew up in Birmingham, and moved to Atlanta at 18. She earned her BA in English at Kennesaw State University. For as long as she can remember, she was always making up stories and characters inside her head, sometimes using her dolls to act out the scenes.

When she's not writing (which is rare), she's spending time with her family and friends, listening to music, playing with her sometimes psychotic puppy, or cheering on her Atlanta Braves.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5 (4%)
1 star
3 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 52 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,268 followers
October 26, 2014
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)

This was an interesting story about a girl recovering from a major life event, but I wanted the answers to come faster.

I felt really sorry for Corrine in this story; she had lost everything that meant anything to her, and to deal with losing her best friend, boyfriend, and family whilst also trying to deal with her grief was just too much for her. I have to say that I hated the way her best friend and mother treated her after the tragedy, and couldn’t quite believe that they would want to make her life worse than it already was!

The storyline in this was quite interesting, but I wanted answers a lot quicker than we got them. I wanted to know what had happened in the accident, who David was, and what had happened since the accident, but it took quite a while to get there. I think we were about 60% of the way into the story before we found out what happened, and that was just a little too long for me, I may well just be impatient though.
There was romance, but not a lot, and it was mainly told in terms of Corrine’s back story.

The ending to this was good, and I was glad that Corrine finally got a happy ending.
6.5 out of 10
Profile Image for Abbie.
1,976 reviews584 followers
December 31, 2014
Actual rating - 3.5

Pieces of Me was a decent read.

I felt really sorry for Corrine. It would be awful to go through the torment she was going through and have nobody to turn to. Her so called best friend was horrendous.

I did like the storyline in this, but i was starting to get impatient with it because of how long the answers were taking.

Overall, decent read, but the answers were slow to come.
Profile Image for Marisa Oldham.
Author 14 books260 followers
May 28, 2014
Literally have chills...

To say that Pieces of Me by Carrigan Richards is a good book, would be putting it lightly. I absolutely LOVED this book. I'm a firm believer that if a book makes me cry, the author has written a compelling and emotional book that rakes the emotions right out of your heart. There have been many books that have made me cry, but it's been a while since I've read one. I was in tears when I reached 61% (Kindle) of this book, but I felt empathy for Corinne from the first page. I felt every emotion she felt as I was reading.
Not only is the story touching, but it leaves you with a feeling that you can conquer anything that comes your way, no matter how terrible it is.
The writing was beautiful. I loved the poetic feel to the story and the descriptions of the environments. The story was very well paced, as it left me wanting more and more and dying to know exactly what happened.
Richards has done an impeccable job writing this book and I would recommend it to everyone. Pieces of Me is not a book that I will soon forget. I have a feeling that like many of the best sellers I have read, Beautiful Ruins, The Fault In Our Stars, and Tell The Wolves I'm home, that Pieces of Me will be one of those books I always pipe up about when asked what is your favorite book.
1 review
September 14, 2014
I loved this book!! Pieces of Me is about a girl coming to terms with the guilt of causing an accident, and also recovering from depression/ a suicide attempt. I thought that the issues were addressed well and that the writing was very good.

What I loved most is how it showed a realistic view of what it is like to go through depression as a teenager. Although the challenges Corinne faced were all in her own head, she was influenced so much by the people in her life and I think Richards did a wonderful job of showing how important positive relationships were to Corinne’s healing process. While some of the characters she interacted with helped her, others were purely toxic and worked to undermine all the progress she had made. It was a very honest depiction of how someone dealing with depression and self-loathing can be healed or broken by a single person’s influence. I also enjoyed Richards’s Elemental Enchanter Series.
Profile Image for Amanda Walker.
70 reviews6 followers
January 27, 2016
I went into this book just knowing it was going to be good and knowing it was going to be heartbreaking, and it was. Pieces of Me was well written and I loved every bit of it. I have to say, I have never missed a character from a book as much as I did in here. So much so that I could almost beg for a rewrite (lol). I would love to hear more about Emma, Abby, and maybe even Lisa (as much as I hated her), I know they have stories to tell. Pieces Of Me was an easy 5 star read!
Profile Image for Jenn Bradshaw.
190 reviews4 followers
August 22, 2018
**Note: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.**

Another debut novel. YA/teen lit, not exactly romance, but it has a sweet little love story built into it.

This wasn't an easy read for me. I kind of knew it wouldn't be when Carrigan emailed me about reviewing PIECES OF ME. My family has front row seats to the unpleasant faces of mental health problems, and this stirred some painful memories.

Corrine is dealing with a lot. So much, that her parents are checking her into a psychiatric hospital after a suicide attempt. She's been through a lot, and at seventeen, she doesn't have the life experience to sort out who she can really trust.

The author's style feels a little clunky to me, not uncommon in debuts, but she more than makes up for it with realistic, sympathetic characters. I had a few moments when I needed to put the book down for a reality check (I really wanted to have a heart to heart with the protagonist, Corrine, about her less-than-best-friend, Lisa, who has serious issues of her own).

This is a teen read, but as a parent, I would approach this with caution. I would like my own day to read this, because, at 13, she's already dealt with a suicidal friend. However, the storyline is heavy, and I'm not sure her attention span would stick it out. Without pulling out my personal soapbox, mental health issues, especially anxiety, depression, and PTSD are things that need to be talked about. They need to be on the table, and it's time for the stigma to fall away. Ms. Richards takes a giant step in that direction with this story.

All of that said, the writing is a bit stiff, and the flashbacks get blurry, making the timeline a little hard to follow at times. This is one of those times that I would encourage the reader to stick it out. The story is worth it. The ENDING is worth it. Grab your tissues and hang on, because the further you get into the book, the harder it is to put down.

For those who might write this off as a depressing book, I challenge you to stick it out. Millions of people deal with these kinds of debilitating mental health issues every day, and Ms. Richards adeptly portrays the headspace of someone (especially a young someone) at the end of their rope.

And spoiler alert: the story has a happy ending. It's not a unicorns and rainbows happy ending, but it's a well-written happy ending. Four stars, and a standing ovation for Carrigan Richards for tackling this book.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Cash.
Author 24 books94 followers
March 25, 2017
This was the fist book by Carrigan that I have had the pleasure of reading. Needless to say, I was very satisfied. Pieces of Me is one of those books that tug at your heartstrings and leaves you as an emotional hamburger.

Corrine went through one hell of a traumatic event. It not only took her loved ones, but it left her with wicked nightmares that ate at her, panic attacks and hallucinations that started to destroy her. My heart ached for her.

The best part of this read was getting all of the answers to the questions I had gathered throughout reading this. And I was so surprised when everything started to fall into pace. Seriously, this read was phenomenal.
Profile Image for Maureen.
121 reviews
April 17, 2018
Cor was an okay character, but there was just something about her that put me off, even though she had been through so much. Maybe it was the flashbacks, or maybe it was just that the pace felt slow. It really did feel like I had been reading forever by the time the answers actually came.
I did feel sorry for her in the way her mother acted towards her though. The way her mother wanted her to get in the car after the accident as if it were nothing was pretty bad.
Profile Image for Jessica Nicole.
298 reviews18 followers
June 2, 2014
See this review and more like it at Ramblings on Readings

PIECES OF ME- COVER_2
Title: Pieces of Me

Author: Carrigan Richards

Series: n/a

My Rating: 4 Stars

Good Reads Rating: 4.5 Stars (14 Ratings)

Genre: YA Contemporary/Romance

Pages: 342

Publisher: Createspace

Check it Out: Good Reads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Good Reads Summary:

This is one of those books that restores my faith in self-publishing.

This book deals with dark subject matter; there’s lots of talk of suicide, eating disorders, depression, etc. The setting is in a psychiatric institution, where the main character Corinne has to go to therapy every day. I’m don’t know if Richards has specific personal experience with Psychiatrists, but there was both a good and bad view of the doctors in the book. The ones at Corinne’s treatment center were great, very helpful, wanted her to get better, but other patients spoke of past doctor’s being terrible. It was an interesting juxtaposition, and one that I’m sure is quite accurate.

I really liked that the book moved back and forth between past and present. It broke up the dark tone of Corinne’s depression, and the past scenes were fun and sweet (romance with James was precious). You got to see all the steps leading up to her present, which was revealed in clever, well-timed manner. I never found myself bored or wanting to move past what I was reading.

Corinne’s friend Lisa is the worst friend on the face of the planet. I may be a horrible person for saying this, but I honestly didn’t even care that she was clinically bipolar. The way she treated people was absolutely unacceptable, and someone should have done something about it WAY before they did. I would have been like BYE YAH JERK.

Ok, that sounded horrible. I know there wasn’t anything she could do about it since it’s a medical issue, but still, someone should have been like “hey, maybe you should go talk to someone about your inhumanly horrible behavior.”

The writing is great; I’ve read some not so greatly written review requests recently, so it was so nice to read something that had obviously been meticulously edited by someone who knew what they were doing. (Or maybe Carrigan Richards is just that good haha). Pieces of Me reads like any book you could pull off the shelf at Barnes and Noble, if not better than those published by big houses. I was honestly surprised to see it was self-published. I’m very interested in reading more books from this author. Pieces of Me was a great read, quick, interesting, deep, and compassionate. I really enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Rebecca Morales.
548 reviews6 followers
June 16, 2015
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Here is a brief synopsis:

This book was a charming, a tear jerking, nonstop page turner. I read about 60 percent of this book this morning.

The book begins with Corinne being institutionalized by her parents after a suicide attempt. It is through her therapy sessions and interactions with her roommate, Emma, that we find out what brought her to that point. In other young adult novels, we don't really see the time lapse between problem and recovery, Richards made sure to describe the treatment as a long process. Corinne entered in May wtih nightmares, panic attacks, and hallucinations. We see her getting diagnosed put on medications and going to individual as well as group therapy. I think it is vital to show that recovery is possible, but it is not a quick fix, Richards handled these serious subjects beautifully.

Corinne was such a well written character. We learn through the flashback and therapy sessions that she was really a shy and sheltered girl. She only had a small group of friends, that consisted of her brother (David), his bestfriend, his girlfriend/Corinne's best friend (Abby), During her junior year she begins dating a senior named James, who is literally perfect to the point of it being annoying, and she befriends a new girl name LIsa.

When the accident happens the grief that consumes Corinne is just overwhelming. My heart ached for her. She was so numb, her parents were absent lost in their own grief, her boyfriend wasn't returning her calls, and her best friend was pushing her into a new life that she wasn't sure she wanted. I felt that her pain was so real and so intense, I cried along with her.

I really wanted to give this book an A, but there were a few things that stopped me. I hate the cover of the book, I don't think it gives you any information about the story or the characters. I disliked her boyfriend, I felt that he was just too perfect, almost saintly at times. LIsa was his exact opposite, she was just so vile. We learn that she had gone through her trauma as well, but instead of working throughout she lashes out at people. Lisa is the type of girl that becomes clinging to a certain person and becomes so jealous when anyone else comes near them.

I give this book a B+. Richards was amazing and created a playlist for this book. I highly recommend everyone to play it when time coms in the book. I guarantee the story and the music will hit you right in the feels.
Profile Image for Terry.
44 reviews3 followers
October 13, 2014
*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review*

When I first started reading this, I thought it was going to be one of those My-Life-Sucks-Because-I'm-A-Teenager stories, but as I read further, I was gripped at the heart.

I have this thing where if I really love a story, and get emotionally attached, I read really dramatic and emotional lines said by characters aloud. Like a lot of Corinne's lines about David's death, I would read aloud in my scratchy voice from crying. I look like I'm in a play. I just find it makes it feel more real and I can put myself in that situation. I found myself crying and reading the lines almost every 5 minutes. This happens with very few books. I probably sound like an idiot sitting in my room crying and reading aloud emotional lines spoken by characters.

I absolutely loved Corinne and her family. I am Corinne. Corinne is me. She was incredibly relatable and realistic, especially for her situation. I loved her. David was such a sweetheart and I crave an older brother like him... Sadly I have no older brothers. But if I did, I'd want a David. Corinne's parents are also realistic in their situation. They were an important part in this book. The mom having an up and down attitude really contributed to Corinne's struggles. Corinne's father deserves an award for stepping up when he was needed. And god bless good ol' loyal Booger.

James is the epitome of my dream boyfriend. He was so caring, sweet, gentle, shy, protective, supportive, selfless, loveable, friendly, and genuine that I even fell in love with him. I loved his love for literature and music. He was so loyal to Corinne and I'm so glad with how things worked out between them. Plus Tony was such a cutie.

Corinne's friends were definitely a crucial part to the story. Even Lisa, because as many may call her a bitch, her mental illness played a huge role in this book. Plus it gave us even more insight into peoples' every day struggles with their mental illness. I loved how Corinne met friends in the hospital and they stay friends.

I was a huge fan of how Corinne told her before-hospital life in past tense, through memory when talking to her therapist, writing in her journal, or talking to friends. I think it tied together nicely, that way we could get glimpses of what happened, while also being in the present.

I really appreciated how books and poems were incorporated into the story. It makes it feel more deep on an intellectual level.

This book, though. I'm gonna be thinking about it for a few weeks. And that's something incredible because not many books connect on that much of an emotional level. If I could, I'd give this book 1000 stars. I loved it!
Profile Image for C.J. Fallowfield.
Author 47 books765 followers
August 30, 2014
A very well written story focussing on the life of teenager Corinne and her close relationship with her brother David and her boyfriend James.

It's a tale of first love, first loss, grief, the feelings of despair and hopelessness, then ultimately the joy of seeing the sunshine break through those oppressive clouds and learning to live, and love, again.

Corrine comes from a close knit family and her best friend Abby, is also David's girlfriend. Corrine starts seeing a senior at high school James and the four of them become firm friends and we get to see the blossoming of first love between Corrine and James over the course of many months, their relationship is so sweet to read, typical teenagers in love and taking their time to get to really know each other before giving into their desires. Corrine feels lost when they all move onto College leaving her behind to finish her last year of high school, but they all keep in frequent contact, while Corrine befriends a new girl at school, Lisa.

Life as Corrine knows it however is shattered by a tragic event, that ultimately leads to her being admitted into a psychiatric hospital and being cut off from her friends, family and more importantly her lifeline and soul mate James.

Pieces of Me charts Corrine's struggle to accept the tragedy that has befallen her, while shutting out everyone that cares about her, only listening to the one person she shouldn't, who actually manages to alienate her from everyone that could actually help her.

I felt as if Carrigan Richards, the author, really understood the darkness that grips you when you experience loss, anyone who has will be touched by many of the scenes. I rated it 4/5 and the only reason I didn't give it that extra star was for me personally, the way the "event" that led to Corrine's hospital stay was drip feed in the form of flashbacks and narration to her psychiatrist. This left me a feeling a little disconnected to what could have been some extremely powerful emotional reactions to Carrigan's story. I would have preferred to read it in the sequence it happened, but my reading preference should not deter anyone from picking up this insightful novel. An excellent debut novel, which should resonate with anyone who has ever lost someone they love and struggled to find themselves again.

** I was provided with a copy by the author for a fair and honest review **
Profile Image for Lisa.
342 reviews6 followers
March 26, 2014
"Pieces of Me" is an emotional story - filled with friendship, love, and tragedy. You are drawn into the life of a 17yo. girl who has everything - loving family, great boyfriend, friendships. One night, one mistake, one tragedy, and everything can change. The turmoil of this girls life, the depression, hallucinations, and eventual attempt at suicide lead you on a roller coaster of feeling. You are elated with her happiness and then crying with her pain only to support her climb back to being whole again. The book is written from a YA point of view and you get wrapped up easily in what the characters are feeling.
The characters are well developed with believable relationships. Corrine is a great character - she's your average teenager with a average life. You see her grow! make a fatal mistake and compound that by further making bad choices. You find yourself wanting to want to shake her, hug her, help her.
James - phenomenal guy... The man every girl wants, needs, and desires! His love for Corinne was selfless, mature, and forever. When he pledged himself to her, he meant it...
The character of Lisa is a fantastic antagonist. She is totally self absorbed and jealous - so like many teens today. Her behavior is sometimes appalling, but definitely adds so much to the story. Be prepared for some unbelievable behavior from this one.
The other characters of David, Abby, Amos and Emma were fabulous... Scott added a great deal too, while at the institution.
The turns and twists, the cruel obsession that was Lisa, and the evilness of Mike, led to a story that was hard to read (without crying) but so much harder to put down.
Well written and completely real and raw. The was a fantastic story and I was so happy to see in the end that everyone was finally on the road to recovery and happiness.
Definitely a good read with a realistic storyline. Looking forward to reading more work from Carrigan Richards.
Profile Image for Sarah Ann.
103 reviews5 followers
August 17, 2014
This was an amazing and beautiful story! Starting with the cover, which is beautiful, I love that I found connections between the cover and Corinne's story. Just had to mention that. :) Now for the story. For someone who is all too familiar with some of the things in the story I think Carrigan did a beautiful job making this a believable story. From page one I was sucked in and wanted to know what was happening next. The characters were realistic and believable. We have all had a Mike, Lisa, and/or Abby or some variation of them in our lives. And the lucky few have even found their James. Carrigan's writing was beautiful! She brought out so many emotions from me. I laughed, I cried, I got mad and I fell in love while reading this story. I could not put this book down and will end up reading it over and over again. My only complaint, (which isn't even really a complaint), about this book is that it didn't come with a warning. So here's my warning to you do not read this book without a box of tissues within arms reach because chances are you will cry whether they are sad tears or happy tears there will be tears.
I highly recommend this book! :)
Profile Image for Brenda Perlin.
Author 15 books172 followers
September 29, 2014
"I peered out the massive window at the cherry blossoms. The white petals glided in the air like snow. As if they were carefree. Like they were pieces of me drifting away."

Pieces of Me by Carrigan Richards is a coming-of-age story of sorts that touched me. I was pulled in from the very first paragraph. This book takes you around and immediately you want to know more. I wanted to know more. The authors writing style is approachable and relatable. The emotions shared are realistic and moving.

Corinne could be anyone of us. Her vulnerability and inner thoughts don't feel exaggerated but human. Her story broke me and moved me to tears. I was absorbed from the first page until the last.

This is a well-written story about a real-life occurrence. One I found hard to walk away from so I read with enthusiasm. Feeling every bit of emotion.

As a side note, I loved the playlist at the end!
Profile Image for Paige.
235 reviews65 followers
July 31, 2014
Some books just really know how to tug at the heartstrings, to take you on a reading journey you will never forget. Pieces of Me is one of those books!

This book turned me into an emotional yo-yo. I was rooting for Corinne the entire time and I must say that I connected with this character on such a deep level, I felt like I could understand her every thought and action when I put myself in her place. I was already a big fan of Carrigan's from her YA paranormal series, but this just made my love of her writing magnify. It takes a great amount of talent to cross genres so wonderfully and to write a truly amazing story both times around. I cannot wait to read more from this author, and I hope she explores her YA Contemporary side again soon.

A must read for not only fans of the genre, but fans of a good, emotionally fulfilling story in general.
Profile Image for Lia.
36 reviews
February 5, 2015
I received this book through GoodReads First Reads

WOW! Oh my goodness. This book make me cry, laugh, smile the biggest smiles ever. I would recommend this highly to anyone interested in reading it.

Cor has everything she ever needed in life and all of a sudden it's snatched from her. David seemed like a lovely brother and I really wished he hadn't died. Especially when I found out he was planning on proposing! James is the perfect guy and will always be there. Day in and day out! Cor really did it and I think she was amazing to overcome everything with her family and friends. P.S. Her mum is a bitch for the most part but it's all okay in the end
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews.
526 reviews133 followers
April 8, 2015
Touching, tearjerker, heart breaking, are just a few words to describe this amazing book that Carrigan has written.

I felt bad for Corrine. She basically lost her family. I just wanted to reach through my kindle and give her a big hug. Her family wasn't there when she needed them the most.

Carrigan did an amazing job with this book. It was beautiful, but brought out so many emotions in me. Yes, I cried, I could help it. It really touched me so deeply.

If you are a fan of beautiful realistic books, please please give this book a read, but make sure to have a box of tissues near by, it will make you cry like a baby!
Profile Image for Selena Haskins.
Author 8 books122 followers
August 7, 2014
This is my first time reading a book by Carrigan Richards and I'm glad I did. From the first page she grabbed my attention with her carefully chosen words that sucked me right into the story. Pieces of Me was a very fitting title because the book touches on many realistic issues facing teenagers today- suicide, depression, lost, and finding one's self. It's an emotional read and I found myself crying for Corrine. I wanted to reach through the book and hug her and tell her everything would be okay. That's how real Carrigan made Corrine. I'm not sure if this is Carrigan's only book, but I will be reading other works by this other.
70 reviews1 follower
September 1, 2014
LOVED this book...this was such an emotional journey for Corinne. This book touches base with the overwhelming grief that a young girl has for the loss of her brother. Corinne blames herself for her brothers death and in the aftermath her family checks her into a psychiatric hospital where she can get therapy and hopefully the help that she needs. She goes from the lowest of lows, trying to kill herself, to fighting for the life she so desperately wants to get back. There is a love story, betrayal and so much more amongst her confused and crazy life. It's a YA story that touches your heart and a must read!! Telling too much is simply giving away the book!!
Profile Image for P.M. Briede.
Author 9 books355 followers
August 28, 2014
I enjoyed Pieces of Me. It was a wonderfully written and intellectual journey through tragedy and depression, death and rebirth. It begins as Corinne starts her healing journey, which she has no interest in doing. Then moves forwards and backwards through time to explain the circumstances that put Corinne on the path she has found herself on. It is full of well developed characters and a protagonist that you care about and want to see overcome the horrible obstacles in her life. I would recommend this book for just about anyone.
Profile Image for Sarah Bird.
23 reviews6 followers
January 8, 2015

(Contains spoiler)

I really liked this novel. The storyline was gripping enough to keep my attention. The characters were well rounded and complete, some I really liked, others I didn't like at all.
I feel the author did a wonderful job expressing the emotions that would be felt during the types of experiences that are expressed. There is a great amount of detail. I feel there should be a note with the synopsis stating that the book contains scenes with suicide.
I received my free copy of pieces of me for an honest review.
Overall I would rate this book 4 stars.
Profile Image for Amy.
207 reviews
December 31, 2016
Pieces of Me by Carrigan Richards was very emotional. If you read this book please have a box of tissue with you. This book is amazing, overwhelming, sad, happy, and very beautiful!!

I actually put the book down for a couple of days since it had some triggers for me. That showed me how much I was involved in this book. This book is staying with me- in my heart and in my soul.

You will love Corrine. You will love the story.

Great book!!! Great writing!!! I need a paperback now so I can have on my shelf!! It's wonderful!!!
Profile Image for Patrick Wilkins.
25 reviews3 followers
June 13, 2014
I normally do not read these sort of books, however I gave it a go, I found I really enjoyed the book, the character, the story, the way it was written all very good. Give it a go; I think you will be amazed.
June 27, 2014
I absolutely loved this book. I purchased a copy and read it within four hours. two one day and two the next. I loved how easy it was to slip into the book and forget about reality. The characters were very relatable. The setting was close to home and descriptions were realistic. very good read.
1 review2 followers
July 25, 2014
Great story line and very relevant to real life. I found myself not wanting to put the book down. For a new author, Carrigan Richards did a great job painting the picture of the characters and their lives!
Profile Image for Brea Behn.
Author 14 books185 followers
April 11, 2015
I loved this book. As someone who has felt many of the ups and downs of grief this book tells a very real story. I felt her pain and celebrated her emotional triumphs. Very well written. I look forward to more from this author.
Profile Image for Sara Lowrey.
6 reviews
March 20, 2014
Wow!

Touching portrayal of a young woman surviving a nightmare no one should experience. Well written for any age to appreciate.
Profile Image for Valerie Roberson.
386 reviews6 followers
March 4, 2019
This book was incredible! The raw emotions that the author set forth had me in tears throughout the book. This book is about mental health, but it’s more then that. It’s about the love of a close nit family. The emotions of two teens finding each other and the journey they take while falling in love. It’s about friendship, friends that are by your side no matter what and friend that abandon you because you commit suicide. It’s about a friend who only hurts you, no matter how many times you forgive them and eventually you have to walk away from them. Its about making new friends in a mental hospital, who are just like you and encourage you to tell the doctor everything to start your recovery. It’s about the special love and bond between a brother and sister. And most of all, it’s about guilt of hurting or accidental killing a loved one and that guilt takes you down a very dark path. That path allows you to push every one and every thing away until you see no reason to be here any more. But luckily, that path can lead you to a place that can help you see your way back to the light. It will take a lot of pain, forgiveness and reconcile with yourself to reach that light. But when you do, you will find that you are not alone and that even though you pushed them away, they are still there, waiting for you to be ready to have them by your side again.
This book hit very close to home. We have severe depression and anxiety in my daughter and sever depression in me and my husband. Please, if you know someone who is suffering, lost, broken, depressed or contemplating suicide, help them get help. Stay by their side all the way. Be supportive, loving, kind and just listen. You never know, you may save someone’s life, for I know from experience it means the world, it really does help and it’s never forgotten.
Profile Image for Heidi Smith.
17 reviews
September 9, 2019
Not a book I would have normally read, but a book that should be on everyone's reading list

If you have ever questioned why did I survive that crash, or why am I a survivor of a devastating disease than read this book. Carrigan Richard's has written a gripping, powerful, poignant, story of a young woman trying to live with the guilt she feels due to surviving a car crash (no spoilers, read the book to find out why she feels guilty.) Her pain is crippling, which Ms. Richards conveys beautifully, and, in such a compassionate way that the characters instantly became people that I wanted to know. I cried, I smiled, then I wanted more.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 52 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.