Start by marking “Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a Genre” as Want to Read:
Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a Genre

Why Fairy Tales Stick: The Evolution and Relevance of a Genre

In his latest book, fairy tales expert Jack Zipes explores the question of why some fairy tales "work" and others don't, why the fairy tale is uniquely capable of getting under the skin of culture and staying there. Why, in other words, fairy tales "stick." Long an advocate of the fairy tale as a serious genre with wide social and cultural ramifications, Jack Zipes here ma ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why Fairy Tales Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Fairy Tales Stick

Anarda
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fairy tales
Recommended to Anarda by: Zipes was recommended by an instructor
Interesting theory using Richard Dawkins' "memes" to explain the 'stickiness' of fairy tales, but the book goes far beyond this in revealing more interesting depths to Zipes' ongoing discussion about fairy tales. Zipes keeps chipping away at the importance of these traditional tales, but never falls into the trap of a Freudian, Jungian, post-structuralist,etc., etc., posture that would prevent him from 'digging' in another direction. He adds to the scholarly/literary discussion of fairytales and ...more
Katherine Sas
I respect Zipes as a critic, and I appreciate that there is a usefulness to Marxist criticism, but this is where it falls short for me. Never does (or seemingly can) Zipes explain the question he begs in his title: "Why Fairy Tales Stick." His application of Richard Dawkins' theory of memes to fairy tales is interesting enough, but all that tells me is that fairy tales are ideas and ideas stick. I'm not sure I understand fairy tales themselves any better than when I started the book.
Rachel
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Parts of this - where he was discussing the history of the genre, or individual tales - were quite interesting. Generally however there was just too much abstract academic waffle.
Andy Crane
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book could have benefited from a closer edit. Zipes repeats himself frequently, without saying very much of anything. Still, his basic premise that fairy tales stick with us because they give us valuable information about how to navigate our world is an interesting one.
Kate
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate this book. On the one hand, I disagreed with at least half of what the author had to say. On the other hand, I found it a fascinating book that helped me to think more about what fairy tales say.

For instance, I think Zipes is too hard on the Grimms. If you judge the Grimms by modern methods of scholarship, then yes, they did a horrible job of preserving the tales (interestingly, Zipes points out that more than a few tales weren't even German in origin). However, I think that w
Rebekah
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it

Meme theory as applied to fairy tales. Very interesting to think about, especially with the current popular culture boom of rewritten or "true version of" fairy tales on TV (Once Upon A Time, Grimm), movies (Mirror, Mirror, Snow White and the Huntsman) and in books (Cinder, Sweetly).
Tortla
Fairy tales as memes? I am intrigued...
Janin
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack Zipes is insightful and easy to understand as he explores the cultural, historical and social relevance of Fairy Tales, Folk Tales and Oral Wonder Tales.
Rhia
  • Off with Their Heads!: Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
  • No Go the Bogeyman: Scaring, Lulling, and Making Mock
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • Touch Magic: Fantasy, Faerie & Folklore in the Literature of Childhood
  • Spinning Straw into Gold: What Fairy Tales Reveal About the Transformations in a Woman's Life
  • A Short History of Fantasy
  • Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • The Witch Must Die: The Hidden Meaning of Fairy Tales
  • From Mouse to Mermaid: The Politics of Film, Gender, and Culture
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales
  • Grimms' Bad Girls and Bold Boys: The Moral and Social Vision of the Tales
  • Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Marvelous Transformations: An Anthology of Fairy Tales and Contemporary Critical Perspectives
Jack David Zipes is a retired Professor of German at the University of Minnesota. He has published and lectured extensively on the subject of fairy tales, their linguistic roots, and argued that they have a "socialization function". According to Zipes, fairy tales "serve a meaningful social function, not just for compensation but for revelation: the worlds projected by the best of our fairy tales ...more