Start by marking “Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

Eclipse 1: New Science Fiction and Fantasy

(Eclipse #1)

An eclipse is a rare and unusual event, when the world is transformed and the sky becomes a dark eldritch thing. It's a time when anything could happen, when any kind of story just might be true. That sense of the strange and wonderful guides Eclipse: New Science Fiction and Fantasy, the first volume in an exciting new annual anthology series edited by acclaimed anthologis ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Night Shade (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eclipse 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eclipse 1

Paul  Perry
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

A generally excellent collection of SF stories from 2007, running the gamut of speculative fiction, but with a distinct slant toward the left-field and downright weird. 'Toother' by Terry Dowling is a weird psychic murder mystery - brilliant, but let down by a rushed denouement, I thought - while Jeffrey Ford's 'The Drowned Life' and Andy Duncan's 'Unique Chicken Goes in Reverse' are pretty much unclassifiable.

'The Transformation of Tag' from Paul Brandon & Jack Dann was funny, and reminiscent o
Lightreads
A speculative fiction anthology whose theme appears to be 'stories Jonathan Strahan liked.' I don't always like what Jonathan Strahan likes. A few notes, in no particular order:

Bruce Sterling, "The Lustration." Sentient planet computer made entirely of wood! Kind of Ted Chiang lite, which still leaves it pretty interesting (though with whispers of some weird gender issues).

Jeffrey Ford, "The Drowned Life," and Peter S. Beagle, "The Last and Only or, Mr. Moscowitz Becomes
David Layton
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The editor states that his goal for this anthology was to recreate the spirit of the original anthology series of the 1960s and 1970s using contemporary types of stories. The cover calls it "New Science Fiction and Fantasy," and while there is quite a bit of the fantasy, there is precious little of the science fiction. Most of the writers are big names in post 1980s science fiction and fantasy. The stories in this series did not for the most part catch my fancy. Two of them, the first one by And ...more
Gareth D.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
First posted on SF Crowsnest April 2009.

In his introduction, editor Jonathan Strahan points out that he was looking for a very broad definition of science fiction and fantasy, and this volume certainly fulfils that brief. The scope is so broad in fact that several of the stories were barely speculative at all. If you’re looking for high fantasy and space opera then you’ll likely be disappointed. All of the stories are well written, but I obviously have a very different taste to the e
Rob
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new weirdos but probably not pre-post-post-cyberpunks
Eclipse 1 is a good-not-great anthology of speculative (née "science") fiction and fantasy (rather: "new weird") short stories edited by Jonathan Strahan. My "good-not-great" may be stemming from my disappointment that there was more "new weird"/fantasy than there was science fiction[†:] but there were still quite a few "big wins" in the pile that is this paperback binding.

As for the computed average of my ratings on the individual stories themselves (out to four decimal places), Eclipse 1 sco
Anna Tan
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The 15 short stories in here are a hodge-podge of science fiction and fantasy stories (more biased towards fantasy/paranormal than science fiction), some of which provided a-ha! moments, whilst others left me puzzled.

I'd say there were overall more a-ha! stories than puzzling ones.

The few I really liked were:
- Bad Luck, Trouble, Death, and Vampire Sex (Garth Nix)
Well, what can I say - I initially picked up this book because I saw his name on the cover. Gardner, a bumbling wizard, s
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
“If you look at photos taken of the sun during a lunar eclipse,” editor Jonathan Strahan writes in the introduction to ECLIPSE ONE: NEW FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, “you’ll see a strange, dark eldritch thing.”

Strange, dark and eldritch certainly describe this anthology, which collects 15 original fantasy and science-fiction short stories. All the tales in ECLIPSE ONE are creepy at the very least, and the spookiest of them could very well keep you up at night. While the title gives eq
Richard
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is far from uniformly great - there are better anthologies out there and there are a couple of stories I *really* didn't like. Garth Nix's, for example, seemed to be YA with some added swears (well, he does write plenty of YA fiction, yes?)

And, apart from his collaboration with William Gibson on the Difference Engine, I've just never really been able to get into Brude Sterling. Must be missing something.

That said, where I enjoyed it, I really did, so, given that ther
Leadie
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The opening blurb on this includes 'rare and unusual event.' I have to admit that there were two stories that were strong in this area! One I had a difficult time following but once I got to a certain point it kind of fell together. That said, there are some truly outstanding gems in this collection.
If you need a variety of Science Fiction and Fantasy to get you going it's worth giving a peek at to see if this one is what will grab you. Like I said, some did and some didn't. But I did read
Bill
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthology, fantasy, sf
I wasn't as impressed as I was supposed to be. I think I read a recommendation for this on someone's blog and figured it was time to be up-to-date in my short story reading. But this can't really be the good stuff, could it? I can't say I read a single story that really knocked my socks off. There was one about a hermaphrodite bigfoot that captured my attention and then lost my respect when the ending imploded. To top it off, I wasn't that impressed with the binding. This one gets two stars for ...more
Ian C
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Billed as Sci-fi, it's more fantasy. One of, if not the, worst compilations I've ever read. Were if not for my somewhat obsessive/compulsive nature, I would have tossed this into the fireplace. Even Bruce Sterling's story failed for me. The only standouts are Lucius Shepard's story "Larissa Miusov", and Paul Brandon & Jack Dann's "The Transformation of Targ", the latter being the best story included in this book. Also Ellen Klages' "Mrs. Zeno Paradox", (the shortest tale in this book) was so ...more
Scott Oesterling
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
A book of sci fi short fiction from Night Shade Books. Night shade has great authors and has fantastic fiction free on the website that you can read on your Kindle. However,most of the stories in this anthology did not grab me. I do highly recommend Toother by Terry Dowling and Electric Rain by Katherine Goonan.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I picked this up for the Ysabeau S. Wilce story. It turned out to be more of the early adventures of Tiny Doom. It was a good read.

The others ... nothing really jumps out at me. Except for the Garth Nix story, which poked subtle fun at the paranormal romance genre.
Annie
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall Eclipse Once is pretty good. I did find myself trudging through a few of the stories, but nothing too painful. The best one by far was The Transformation of Targ by Paul Brandon and Jack Dann. If you want it quick read this anthology is a good pick.
Mind Bird
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Interesting and chewy anthology! I generally like "hard" science fiction, but the fantasy stories here aren't "sword and sorcery" things, they are the kind that are only a step away from SF. All the stories are fresh and really interesting, and almost all are good. A pleasure to read.
Athens
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
While the writings here do not lack for style (as in the management of wording), they do lack for story line.

Quite a few times in going through the collection I would catch myself thinking "if I were reading this when 12 years old, this would be awesome."
Egil
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Mostly good, a couple of stories sucked but mostly good. Overall good enough to read Eclipse Two. Bought them from the clearance section of a used bookstore for $1 each so no grand expectations and I like getting exposed to new authors.
Andrew
Dec 29, 2009 rated it liked it
A solid and interesting collection of short pieces by top authors. I could have used a few more stories of rollicking adventure, and maybe one or two less of abstract fantasy, but you won't be sorry you cracked its spine.
Gevera Bert
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, broad-spectrum anthology. Could have been fatter. Looking forward to future volumes.
Janice
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012

I liked almost all the stories, and like some of them very much. Will definitely be looking for more of this series.
Standback

Jul 28, 2008
BL834
Jul 01, 2018
Chris W.
rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The New Space Opera
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Getting to Know You