Start by marking “Straight to You” as Want to Read:
Straight to You

Straight to You

The sun is dying.

The temperature around the world is rising by the hour with no sign of any respite. At this rate the planet will soon become uninhabitable; all life extinguished. It might be weeks away, it might be days... we may only have hours remaining. Society is crumbling. The burning world is descending into chaos.

Steven Johnson's wife is hundreds of miles away an
Published February 14th 2014 by Infected Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Straight to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight to You

Steve
This was an incredible book! The story of a husband and wife, taking a break from each other when the unthinkable happens, and how the husband does everything in his power to get back to his wife against terrible odds. This was a page-turner that increased in intensity with each page, much like the energy bursts of the sun in the story.

The author really captured the intensity of the end-of-the-world event, captured the human emotions and wildly-different responses to the catastrophe. All of the
Jason
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
5 Stars

Straight to You 2014 by David Moody is close to being an apocalyptic masterpiece. Part end of days, part romance, and completely human is the best way to describe this book. I am a huge fan of David Moody and absolutely loved his Autumn series and his Hater series. They are remarkable post apocalyptic horror novels that are exceptional examples of the bloated genre. Moody stands out from the crowd as he writes characters that are truly three dimensional. All of his books shine by giving
Gatorman
Middling effort from Moody about an annoying couple struggling with marital issues who are faced with potentially apocalyptic consequences of a suddenly blazing sun. The wife goes away to her dad's village for a visit and the hubby tries to find her while the world seems to be ending. The story is pretty slow for the most part but picks up in the last third and ends strong. Solid writing but just not a whole lot here to rave about. Not my favorite Moody, but it's an older, revised story so no wo ...more
Jeremy Peterson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
David Moody's rewrite of Straight to you is a dark and desperate trip through the end of the world. Reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy’s 'The Road', Moody fills his version of the world's end with a helplessness that was absolutely heartbreaking.
The male lead begins the book frustratingly selfish and stubborn which initially made him difficult to root for, but by the end, the sacrifices he makes to reconnect with his wife redeem him.
I found it well written and desperately sad. The author’s descrip
Carol
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As everyone who reads my reviews knows I love end of the world books and especially David Moody's Autumn series. This book is no exception, I can't say too much about this book as it would spoil it for your, I can say 'wow, what an ending!'

Keep writing books David and I will keep reading them.
Wendy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book... What can I say? It scared the crap out of me! Especially with how the world is at the moment. No rain, fires, so hot. Kind of freaked me out.
The characters,you really felt their loss, their struggle. I hated each of them at different times. Then I just wanted them to be happy. This was one emotional roller coaster I will not soon forget.
Madlyneon
I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy through Goodreads' First Reads.

The first 50 pages or so of this book center on the internal lives of Steven and his wife. The state of their marriage matches the state of our earth: ABOUT TO GO UP IN FLAMES.

At least in the beginning of the book, the sci-fi, apocalyptic elements are background noise to the real cataclysm brewing: the breakdown of a once happy marriage. This melodramatic element isn't rushed through to get to the Awesome Armagedd
Rebecca Besser
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Moody takes his readers on an emotion and physical ride through his nightmare of world ending destruction.

Steven and Sam experience an extremely personal emotion trauma, which neither of them really knows how to handle.

Steven shuts himself off and drowns himself in work. This affects their marriage badly.

While they’re dealing with their own life and hearts, the sun is on the verge of killing itself and the world.

Things around them keep getting worse, but they don’t pay close attention beca
Scott
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars

I don't know where everyone gets this is about a man trying to reach his estranged wife before the world ends. That's not the story. Steven and Samantha are not married. They barely know each other, having met only a few days prior to what would be the end of the world and after the events causing the end to come have taken place. I also do not get the biggest blurb for this novel stating that it should stand shoulder to shoulder with King's The Stand and McCammon's Swan Song
Albert Yates
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hot damn. That was incredible.

I'm such a sucker for end of the world stories that build on human connection and struggle.

This book checks all of those boxes.

* characters separated by space as the worst happens
* a daunting journey of self reflection and discivery
* an encounter with a religious sect
* a totally believable and realistic end of the world scenario that ends up giving you nightmares
* characters you end up rooting for because they need to be together
Mike
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scientific aspects of this apocalyptic novel are pure hokum,but love story has remarkable strenght.Forget THE NOTEBOK,this is a love story that will break your heart.
Teresa Dowson
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Exciting, Emotional and a little scary!

Could not put this one down...and thought about it when I wasn't reading it.

Sonya
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Painfully beautiful, a perfect love story.
Marjorie Pezzeca
A very long hot read

Great idea for a book but it was too long and drawn out. I found myself skipping a head at times.
Stephanie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Started reading it yesterday, got back into it straight after work today. Well-paced and entertaining apocalyptic tale. Slightly difficult at the start as the couple involved suffer the miscarriage of a child (something I can relate to) but it is treated well and sets up the reason for their subsequent separation. The sense of the 'end' coming builds consistently as the pulses of the sun become more and more frequent, yet even so you hope the characters survive. It was not to be, but they are to ...more
17jamesD2
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most amazing things I’ve read. Ever. Beautiful, sad, wonderful, I feel like I was seeing this stuff happen! The ending couldn’t have been better, it was so absolutely perfect. The characters feel so real it’s like I’m there. David Moody is a master at dialogue. Conversations couldn’t be more realistic in this book. NOT PG OR FOR THE WEAK OF HEART. It’s pretty descriptive.

(It can also be found on Wattpad)

Out of the hundreds of books I’ve read, this is BY FAR the best. I w
Kay Smillie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damned fine novel about the end of the world concentrating on Steven Johnson and his journey to reconnect with his wife who had gone to see her dad. Not an easy journey but it makes for a great read and happy to report we all get a great sun tan. Interesting to read that this is a totally revamped version of his first ever novel which David Moody admits flopped badly when printed in 1996. He has taken the basic premise and made a great job of the rewrite.

Ray Smillie
Adam Baxter
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A tale of love and the lengths Steven will go, too prove to Sam he loves her. A father-in-law who hates him and the imminent end of the world are not the only things stopping him crossing the country to reach her. A race against time before global warming in the severest form destroys the entire planet. Mr Moody wrote this many years ago and this is the new version. An enjoyable, apocalyptic love story.
Dreadlocksmile
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Moody’s debut novel ‘Straight To You’ was first published by the publishers Book Guild back in 1996. With inspiration harvested from the song of the same name by the legendary group Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, and of course Moody’s taste for all things apocalyptic, ‘Straight To You’ formed a definite stepping stone from which Moody was to launch his writing career.

With such a massive difference in approach to that of many of his later novels, ‘Straight To You’ is a carefully written lov
Marcus Blakeston
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a reimagining of Moody’s first book from 1996, and as you’d expect the writing is a lot tighter this time around.

I got a bit of a John Christopher The Death of (No Blade of) Grass vibe from reading this version. People carrying on as normal while the world dies, then when it’s almost too late a trek across the country while society crumbles around them. Except there’s no motorcycle gangs or people waving guns at each other here, just people who have given up all hope.

It loses a star fo
Christy Brunner
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After just now finishing this book, I have conflicted emotions about it. It had many elements to it that build toward a complex and emotional ending. It is a deeply moving love story with a husband only wanting to find his wife while the world crumbles around him. I could relate to this story. This story stayed with me. I usually read books and go through them like fast food, but this story was different. I thought it was written beautifully. The backdrop of the different scenarios which showed ...more
Janis
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read, not bad for someone's first book. It was a bit slow at the beginning, it became quite mired down on the death of a child. The author could have used an easier subject like a miscarriage, unable to conceive or even debating if to have a child. All this is irrelevant, once the book gets going you don't want to put it down! I couldn't read it fast it enough. I was surprised not to see a reference to dwindling oxygen levels in the atmosphere as all the plants were dying globally.

Enjoy but
Casey
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book, despite reading some of the bad reviews. The characters were extremely real and easy to identify with. I almost felt like I was there, overcoming every obstacle and enjoying every victory. I was drawn right into this world which to me is the most important part of any story.
I did see a few minor grammar and spelling mistakes, but that's easy to overlook when your just there for the ride and not trying to find every tiny flaw. Good job David Moody you successfully ke
Michelle

Great premise and plot, but not my favorite execution. I expect apocalyptic tales to be bleak, and this definitely delivered. However, I think I would have felt more satisfied if the despondency increased over time. In this case, it seemed extremely bleak very early on and that same level of dread dragged on, making it feel repetitive. As the novel progressed, I felt increasingly detached from the characters. But in the end, the message got through that it's important to make sure those
Katie Kenig
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apocolyptic
I didn't have great expectations for this little novel of the apocolypse, but it captured me in unexpected ways. This isn't an intellectual read by any means, but is fun and very quick to get through, and surprisingly enough sparks many questions about what you would choose to do if you only had one week left, what you would risk to be with the person you love, and what that time with them is worth.
Sherman Tank
Mar 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
When it got to the point that I couldn't wait for the sun to fry dude I had to stop reading. (I forgot his name and I just put the book down... You know who's name I wont forget... SAMANTHA...) Dude is too dumb to survive for long anyway. He was so dumb I felt like he was making me dumber by reading all his dumb actions. You would be better off staring at the sun until it burns your eyes. That would be much more entertaining.
Katherine
Full of filler, this book took a subject that should have been interesting: the end of the world, and made it absolutely boring. I kept sticking around, waiting for something to actually happen in this book, but nothing did. It didn't help that the protagonist was completely uninteresting and unsympathetic.
Jeremy
May 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really, really wanted to love this book, because I've read Moody's Hater and Autumn series, and loved them. If I hadn't have read those first, I wouldn't even have finished this book. It seemed more like a short story that was drawn out to be a novel. Sorry, but this one just isn't my favorite.
Zoey
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's something about reading David Moody, he makes the end of the world seem so real, so plausible, that it gives me the willies.

I've just put the book down, in tears, wanting to tell my important people I love them... You know, just in case.
Mark
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like David Moody's stuff. I really like end of the world books. And I hate happy endings. Somehow, Moody 's Straight At You managed to give me everything I like in a post-Apoc book. Even the ' happy ending' appealed to me. It's a short book, read in 2 days. Definitely regiment.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Apocalypse End (Reign of the Dead #2)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World (The Rising #3)
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • After Life
  • The Kill Crew
  • Quarantine (Alone, #3)
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • The Snow
  • The Rage Plague
  • Vacation (Jack Murphy, #1)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • The Birth Of The Peacekeepers
  • The Unraveling
  • A Chemical Fire
  • Extinction Journals
  • Zombies!: An Illustrated History of the Undead
  • Stones Unturned (The Menagerie, #3)
A pioneer of independent publishing, DAVID MOODY first released HATER in 2006, and without an agent, succeeded in selling the film rights for the novel to Mark Johnson (producer, Breaking Bad) and Guillermo Del Toro (director, The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth). Moody's seminal zombie novel AUTUMN was made into an (admittedly terrible) movie starring Dexter Fletcher and David Carradine. He has a ...more