Start by marking “Vango: Between Sky and Earth” as Want to Read:
Vango: Between Sky and Earth

Vango: Between Sky and Earth

(Vango #1)

A breathless adventure from international award winner Timothée de Fombelle charts a desperate search for identity across the vast expanses of Europe.

In a world between wars, a young man on the cusp of taking priestly vows is suddenly made a fugitive. Fleeing the accusations of police who blame him for a murder, as well as more sinister forces with darker intentions, Vango
Hardcover, Reprint, 432 pages
Published October 14th 2014 by Candlewick Press (first published November 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vango, please sign up.
Seth If you search for "Vango" you'll find it just about anywhere, but the subtitle is "Between Sky and Earth"
Amelia While this is true, I'm almost glad we don't know deep specifics about Vango's personality. One word we can all, I'm sure, safely attribute to Vango…moreWhile this is true, I'm almost glad we don't know deep specifics about Vango's personality. One word we can all, I'm sure, safely attribute to Vango is "mystery"- and by not delving into his emotional or characteristic complexities, we maintain this mystery, even as his backstory unravels.
I think the fact that Vango has so few friends- and that these friends themselves, like Cat, for instance, also have few friends- signifies that he builds strong relationships from small bonds, and that, even though he doesn't always make a big show of it in the book, Vango would protect those friends. Vango's subtle friendships present the notion that people don't necessarily choose their friends; rather, friends find each other.

So, this has sort of become long winded, and I don't know if I've really answered your questions. But, to sum, I don't believe it essential that we know too much about Vango's personal feelings. We learn about him through his travels, his relationships with others, and who he keeps company with. (For instance, after spending a year with monks and then even longer with priests in France, it makes sense that Vango would maintain a silence about his personal emotions throughout the book. And that silence speaks volumes.)(less)

Marta Álvarez
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hay una serie de fallos de edición (ortotipográficos, la edición física es de lo más cómoda) que tiran para atrás. Y es una pena, porque Vango es ma-ra-vi-llo-so.
En los primeros capítulos me capturó por el estilo tan delicado y evocador, tan a la par con el principal escenario: el París de los años 30.
Pero luego fueron la trama y sus mil personajes los que terminaron de meterme en su bolsillo. Tiene un ritmo algo más pausado que el de una novela de intriga al uso, pero se le perdona por sus deli
Jeanie Phillips
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dear Vango,

I'm sorry but I'm just not that into you. I stuck with you through the end of the book, but it is time for us to go our separate ways. Don't get me wrong, we had our good times. I mean, who wouldn't want to visit a Scottish Castle, fly in a German Zeppelin, and hang out on a secret Italian island with monks! You are definitely an exciting guy! But I found you largely emotionally unavailable. If we are going to have a long term reader relationship I have to at least feel like I know wh
Skip
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pirates, Russian aristocracy, zepellins, mysterious monks, Nazis, and family secrets. A real adventure, all set in Europe between the world wars. Vango is washed ashore on a small island off the coast of Sicily with Mademoiselle, and grows up in a safe environment as a wild child of the outdoors, eventually discovering a secretive group of monks on a nearby island. With little companionship, except from the mysterious Mademoiselle, Vango decides he wants to join the monks, but the leader forces ...more
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Born in 1915 and raised on by a nanny simply known as Mademoiselle, Vango has no idea who he is or where he came from. He and Mademoiselle were rescued from the sea by the strange Mazzetta when Vango was only 3 and they remained on Salina, one of the Aeolian island off the coast of Sicily. At 10 Vango discovers a hidden monastery on another island called Arkudah and befriends its founder, Father Zefiro.

The story begins in April 1934 just as Vango, now 19, is ready to take his vows, following Fat
Mathew
Moments from being accepted into priesthood, Vango finds himself shot at and pursued - his only hope is to hide in Notre Dame and find a means of escape as quickly as possible from the mysterious assassin and all of the French police. Having been washed shore when only a toddler, Vango now finds that his past is hunting him down at a time when war in Europe is brewing at a deeply alarming rate and the stories behind those few Vango trusted reveal a world beyond his comprehension. Not only must V ...more
Mrs G
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this book, chapter by chapter. Brilliant, complex plot that twists and turns all around and back again. Exciting, funny with some great characters. Phew! I've ordered book 2!
ALPHAreader
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Outside Notre Dame, a group of men who were about to become ordained priests are lying, facedown on the cobbled stones. A group of policemen, led by one superintendent Boulard are making their way through the crowd, searching for one 19-year-old man;

Just then, one of the seminarians stood up. He wasn’t very tall. His robe was weighed down with the rain. His face was streaming. He turned full-circle in the midst of so many bodies, none of which moved. On every side, plain-clothes policemen emerg
LoiStorybook
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Es un 4.8. Este libro está lleno de historias que se entrelazan. Me encantó. Tiene a la vez tantos hechos históricos y personajes que existieron en realidad. Es una exquisitez. Vango puede parecer un personaje muy raro por todo lo ágil que es. Mientras iba descubriendo un poco más acerca de la historia de Vango, me ponía un poco baja de ánimo :S Me gustó mucho este libro.
Ben Trevail
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2017
Formidable! Magnifique! Etc etc. I devoured the majority of this book, over 300 pages, in 24 hours while off work with a fever so this may not be the lucid review. Simply: it's almost impossible to put down. Each chapter ends with a hook or reveal so cleverly planned. The whole plot structure is a complex narrative with Vango at the centre surrounded by a complex web of characters. Ethel is superb, a strong yet young female presence, reminding me of Lily from Cogheart. In fact the fast-paced nar ...more
Claudia
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lij, en-català, 2014
M'ha agradat molt, encara que al principi el media res m'havia deixat molt confosa. Al contrari que en Tobi Lolness, Vango, el protagonista, està ple de misteris, que es repeteixen i repeteixen al llarg de tota la novel·la.
És curiós com en Vango en part surt en segon pla, i sembla que és la peça que fa encaixar tot el puzzle.
De tots els personatges (que no són pocs), potser la meva preferida és l'Ethel, una noia amb un caràcter molt fort i que m'ha encisat.

Ara, a esperar/aconseguir la segona par
Araseli
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I'm so happy I gave this book a try and ending up loving it so much. Fombelle's writing style it's so easy and simple to read. It is written in third person pov and is written so well that all the characters are intertwine wonderfully. From the very beginning I liked this book it so mysterious, has unusual adventures, historical fiction and humor through out it. This book is just the tip of the iceberg and I cannot wait to read more on Vango and his mysterious life. I'm looking forwar ...more
Huy
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful and interesting book. I can't put it down, it takes me from Paris to Berlin, Scotland and more. And this book is what I need these days, I'm starving of adventures.
Điểu
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1 câu chuyện vô cùng hấp dẫn và tốc độ, có thể khiến ta quên mất những bông tuyết nhỏ xíu lấp lánh trong đó
Jody Phillips
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book. It is beautifully written; containing such passages as:

Small miracles can accompany great misfortune. He had always thought that. You just need the confidence to believe it.

Let her make the most of it while she can! Which is what you might say about a hen that's still prancing around when it's got a date with the saucepan.

"Should I untie the horse from the piano on the second floor?" Peter the gardener inquired of the housekeeper without batting an eye. Realizing somet
Sam
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: royal-lit
Vango is
surreal
engaging
poignant
delightful
a beautifully written piece of literature with fascinating characters and captivating scenarios set in one of the most critical periods of world history.
It is fractured yet fluid, sweet yet terrible. It is both modern and timeless, confusing and perfectly sensible.
It will lead you on a chase through time and place, confuse you, make you pause and think hard, and then show you in the simplest of ways what you were missing.

I read this under the impression t
Sonia
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Da parecchio non mi capitava di essere talmente presa da una storia da non vedere l'ora di tornarla a leggere, di desiderare che non finisca troppo presto, o ancor di più: di desiderare che continui per sempre!

Vango mi ha incuriosita fin dall'incipit: Notre-Dame, un ragazzo che sta per diventare prete, un'ambientazione che ha dell'affascinante. E cosa succede? Scappa. Non sceglie per scappare la strada: sceglie i tetti, sceglie il cielo. Vango, 19 anni con un passato di cui non capisce il perchè
Fantastico! Wow, what a ride this was! The two books in this series really seem to be just one book splint in half, so I shall review them as a single unit. Random thoughts:

Vango is completely unforgettable. Even though I don't know what he looks like, the author paints such a crystal clear portrait of his soul that I feel I know him well. This troubled young man has no idea where he came from and I was completely invested in finding out his heritage along with him. And nearly every character in
Mia Esguerra
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It seemed to Zefiro as if, by appearing in their lives, Vango had nudged the earth around a little, to make it face the sun.

Fisrt off, kudos to translator Ms. Ardizzone, who I think did an amazing job in translating Fombelle's beautiful writing into English! so good

I enjoyed this a lot! I don't know why but this book, its story and the way it was written, is very nostalgic to me. It reminded me of a mix of Tintin & Eoin Colfer & my favorite adventure classics, all I loved v
Daran A.
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vango is a story (set in France) about a man who has committed a crime, but doesn't know what he did. He runs away from police officers, and barely escapes them, but throughout the whole book Vango is running from the officers pretty much.

The story does go into detail of the different places that Vango or the police officers are at. This can really help understand where they are, and what Vango can do to escape the officers and really give you a "feel" for the area of where they're at. The story
Francis
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He de reconocer que me he enfrentado a esta historia sin saber nada de ella y siempre afirmaré que es la mejor forme de dejarse sorprender...

Es verdad que empezar una historia con la ordenación sacerdotal de unos jóvenes no me atrajo demasiado... menos mal que seguí leyendo. Unos segundos después, una fabulosa persecución me atrapó hasta la última de sus páginas. Realmente ha sido una experiencia alucinante. No dejaré de recomendarla.

"La historia tiene todos los elementos clásicos de las aventur
Sacramento Public Library
In the last days before the start of World War II, a young man whose past is a mystery finds himself pursued by unknown forces bent on his destruction. De Fombelle's thriller has a rich cast of adult and teen characters who hop from country to country via train, fast car, and even dirigible, and whose connections to each other are slowly revealed through flashbacks that are carefully doled out for maximum suspense. But while the plot moves quickly, the focus is still on the characters, their rel ...more
Jakub
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timothée de Fombelle: Vango. Za posledních pár let nejlepší kniha co jsem četl. Od prvního do posledního odstavce. Krásně vyprávěný příběh kluka, co pátrá po svojí minulosti a proplétá svůj osud s dalšími postavami v meziválečném období.
Vzpomněl jsem si při čtení Mandolínu kapitána Corelliho a Ptáky bez křídel od Bernierese. V tom s jakou lehkostí a vlídností dokáže autor vyprávět příběh, který se odehrává v nelehkých dobách.
Beth Honeycutt
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely 4.5 stars! I chose to read this because it was originally written in French, and I needed a book written in another language for my 50 book reading challenge. I really enjoyed this book - adventurous, mysterious, well-written and interesting!
Virginia
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how it is writtenand also that it's one of those stories with a lot of characters mixing ones with the others until everything makes sense.
Wishing to read the second one.
Kathy Ellison
This book reminds me of Tintin. But with a Zeppelin.
Audrey
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, series
“Perhaps it was because of his wife that Pippo the farmer dreamt of becoming a sailor. There are certain people on this earth who make you want to sail very far away, and above all for a very long time.”

Actual rating: 3,75/5.

One of my friends has been recommending Vango to me since September. I finally decided to read it, and I'm so happy I did! This book is really special and different from every other book out there. I had a hard time getting into it since we learn so little about the prot
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Who could have predicted what would happen in the time it takes to boil an egg?

To read Vango is to step in a fantastic adventure sweeping across all of Europe and spanning two decades. It is a wonderful story full of mysteries and amazingly detailed, varied characters. It is a story rich in history that brings a new world to life.

I was hooked on Vango from the moment I saw the cover. I loved the colours and style of the illustrations which reminded me of the wartime posters of the 1930s and 1940
Haden
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adventurous story is one of a boy raised on a mysterious island. The boys name is Vango. He travels to a nearby island to find a secret monastery, here he discovers his desire to become a monk. Vango travels near and far throughout the book to find a school for priests and monks but is accused of s murder at the school. After this he has to flee the french police and survive on his own.
Anna
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voilà un vrai maître conteur. Deux phrases, c'est tout dont il a besoin pour vous noyer dans son histoire.
Pakobylka
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Docela pěkné čtení. Nejdřív mě trochu překvapilo, že v některých knihovnách je tahle kniha zařazena mezi dětskou literaturu, ale už chápu proč. Je to něco mezi pohádkou, knihami typu Himmlerova kuchařka a ještě něčím, ta obsáhlost je fascinující. Jsem zvědavá, jak to dopadne :-)
2015 Hub Reading ...: Vango 4 21 Apr 19, 2015 07:30AM
  • The Boy Who Swam with Piranhas
  • The Book of Everything
  • Unstoppable Octobia May
  • The Clockwork Scarab: Sneak Preview
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • The Paper Cowboy
  • Ship of Dolls
  • Anybody Shining
  • Going Over
  • The Boundless
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • Listen to the Moon
  • The Extra
As a child...
Timothee de Fombelle was born in the heart of Paris in 1973, but often accompanied his architect father on his travels to Africa. Each summer his family left for the countryside (the west of France), where the five brothers and sisters lived like wild horses, making huts in the trees, playing in the river and losing themselves in the woods. In the evening they performed plays for the

Vango (2 books)
  • Un prince sans royaume (Vango, #2)
“There are some closed doors we’re so frightened of opening that we don’t see them any more. We’ve pushed furniture in front of them; we’ve jammed the lock. Children are the only ones who might crouch down on all fours to stare at the red glow coming from under the door, as they wonder what lies behind it. But Vango had always been afraid of the glow.” 11 likes
“Who could have predicted what would happen in the time it takes to boil an egg?” 6 likes