Start by marking “I'm My Own Dog” as Want to Read:
I'm My Own Dog

I'm My Own Dog

Many dogs have human owners. Not this dog. He fetches his own slippers, curls up at his own feet, and gives himself a good scratch. But there is one spot, in the middle of his back, that he just can’t reach. So one day, he lets a human scratch it. And the poor little fella follows him home. What can the dog do but get a leash to lead the guy around with?
Published August 5th 2014 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about I'm My Own Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm My Own Dog

Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

I’m My Own Dog by David Ezra Stein is a fun twist and turn on the dog/owner idea. We witness the dog’s view of the world. From leashes to fetch. Who really is in charge—dogs or humans? Haha….You decide.

I’m going with the dog. :)

A must read for dog loving families.

Megan (ReadingRover)
Great little story about a dog living on his own who doesn't need anyone but himself until he meets a guy who can scratch that one itch on his back that he can never reach. Once he does he proceeds to take the man under his wing and teach him to do all the the things all humans do with their dogs. Then he discovers that the man truly becomes his best friend. It's an interesting take on a stray finding an owner as its flipped around because it's the dog who adopts the man.
The art is raw and scri
Karen Witzler
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Independent dog discovers the pleasures of having a human companion. Four and five year olds would love it as a read-aloud , but its appeal is otherwise limited.
Yii-Ru
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m My Own Dog is a book, from the perspective of a very pompous dog. He claims that he is no one’s dog, that no human will ever own him. He is the one who buys a leash for his owner to lead his owner around and to show him what it means to be a dog. This book is very good in helping to show the perspective of a dog (even though we may not understand what it truly means at all). However, the relationship between an owner and his or her dog is further solidified when the dog says that no matter h ...more
Tracey
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, pic-bks
The very independent dog in this book claims that nobody owns him; he owns himself. He gets his own slippers, throws and fetches his own stick, and tells himself that he is such a good dog. He takes care of all of his own needs…well, except for that one itchy spot on his back that he can’t quite reach. But just because he likes to be scratched—just in that one place, mind you—doesn’t mean that he isn’t still his own dog.
Originally published at Mackin Books in Bloom (mackinbooksinbloom.com).
Kristine Hansen
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book seems to be representative more the personality of a cat than a dog. You have a dog who is his own dog that eventually finds a human. The human is cute and the care of sure was enough to make me laugh. But the entire idea seemed to be off, because seriously a dog wouldn't act this way. A cat though, totally would.
Sharon Dillon
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-read-alouds
This is for Week 4 A children's picture book children's award winner 2015
This is a sweet read aloud that will please any student. It's a story from the dog's perspective and it's humorous. The pictures are engaging and my 2nd graders were paying close attention and giggling through. We used this to work on identifying the main idea and details. It worked great!
Selena
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I, I mean, kids love books told from the animal's perspective. In this case it is the dog's. He's got a good life on his own but takes pity on a stray human and takes him in. What a dog! It's a little tough training him but it's worth it in the end.
Bookishrealm
So cute! This dog actually believes that he has no connection to humans and that when he meets this guy he "walks him, plays with him, cleans up after him, etc." It's a hilarious tale and I fully enjoyed it. The artwork was great and I truly am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Amy
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Kindergarten through 2nd graders loved this as a read aloud. It was excellent for picture cues and making predictions. In kindergarten we also used it as a conversation starter about how things can be better when shared with friends.
Heidi-Marie
Ha ha! I love the twist halfway through. I didn't expect that. Humorous that I think the younger crowd could get in a preschool storytime. Worth trying!
Beth
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a fun story to use when teaching about point of view, perspective, and the reliability of narrators.
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The dog is really the boss in this one. Cute but it was a little odd that the owner was found as a stray.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The point of view of a completely self-centered pooch. Joyfully fun.
Sarah Riney
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m My Own Dog is a story read from the Dog’s point of view. This story is about a dog who does everything by himself, he has no owner. The story begins by stating “I am my own dog nobody owns me. I own myself.” He fetches his own slippers, curls up at his own feet, tells himself to roll over, he would not sit if someone told him to, he licks his own face, and scratches himself, and tells himself he is a good dog. One day a guy followed the dog home. The dog tells of how he felt sorry for the li ...more
Sunah Chung
This book tells the story of an independent dog. The dog refuses to be owned by an owner, so he believes he owns himself. From his perspective, he behaves because he does what he wants to do. For instance, instead of following the orders that the owner of the dog gives to the dog, he throws a stick and fetches it by himself.
However, what I don’t understand about the story is the part of meeting the owner. The dog recalled that he let a man scratch his back because he could not reach the end of
Adrianna
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
"I'm My Own Dog" is the story of an independent dog who is not owned by anyone and it is an interesting concept for a story. The author, David Ezra Stein, stated "The dog in the story is based on a drawing I did once of a dog walking himself, with a caption that read: 'The true master is master of himself.' That's probably the first time I met this dog." This quote by the author epitomizes the story since the dog at the beginning of the story does not answer to anyone. The dog's attitude changes ...more
Kraig Barth
This is a fun story about a dog who takes care of himself. He does not have an owner, but self-participates in all of the activities that human would take part in with a dog. Later in the story, the dog gets an owner, only he thinks that the human is his pet! This book is very humorous. This is a great book that emphasizes a first-person narrative. I would definitely recommend its use in a younger aged classroom.
Tori
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
An independent dog who don't need no man, er, owner... changes his mind when a human follows him home one day.
I used this for dog-themed storytime but it was not well-received by the kids (though the parents loved it). I don't know what went wrong here but I'm hesitant to blame the book. Maybe it's the weather? An off day for the kids? At any rate, it's a cute book and I like it. I'll wait a year or two and try it again.
Donna Mork
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable book about a dog who owns himself. Then he gets a "pet" and pulls him around on a leash and teaches him to throw the stick for him. It's a cute reversal of roles, at least in the mind of the dog.
AMY
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grade K-2
Very cute story about a dog who is independent and turns the whole dog ownership thing around. He puts on a leash so he can "pull" the man, etc. It is a great books with whimsical illustrations. Highly recommended for ES, especially grades K-2
Lara
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this dog's attitude! Have definitely met dogs (and many, many cats) who have this same attitude. Made me laugh out loud several times.
Would be a great one for a storytime on dogs (obviously) or on friendship.
Pam
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An independent dog decides to adopt a human as a pet. Humorous story about this relationship told from the dog's point of view.
Melissa
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny
Chad Seevers
good read out loud book.
House
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
mary dewley
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Talk about dog-i-tude!!! Hysterical story told from the dog's point-of-view.
Arianna
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another CYRM book... interesting spin on pet/owner relationship but I find it rude and over the top. Not like
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute. I loved the story and the artwork.
Debra
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter loved this book. I believe she understood the concept that the dog owned the man.
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
  • It's Only Stanley
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Puddle Pug
  • Extraordinary Jane
  • Dog Days of School
  • A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • Sparky!
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Homer
  • Dog vs. Cat
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • Shh! We Have a Plan
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • Telephone
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.