Start by marking “Evil Librarian” as Want to Read:
Evil Librarian

Evil Librarian (Evil Librarian #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  2,401 Ratings  ·  626 Reviews
#EvilLibrarian He’s young. He’s hot. He’s also evil. He’s . . . the librarian.

Published September 9th 2014 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Evil Librarian, please sign up.
Maria There is a sequel to Evil Librarian called Revenge of the Evil Librarian. I am going to pick it up to,orrow. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! The characters are…moreThere is a sequel to Evil Librarian called Revenge of the Evil Librarian. I am going to pick it up to,orrow. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! The characters are very relatable. It was such a great book. (less)

Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

When I picked up Evil Librarian at BEA, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was more of a, "Oh, I saw this book on Goodreads and I love that cover, so why not?" I hardly ever read a book before a trusted friend or two read it first, or there's at least numerous positive reviews on the internet, but for whatever reason I chose this one first out of my stack of shiny new books. Best decision ever. As soon as I read the first page I was laughing out loud, immediately sucked into the story.
Eilonwy

Four and a half stars, rounded up.
Cyn is crazy in unrequited love with classmate Ryan Halsey, but that's okay -- they're both 16. When her best friend Annie develops a huge crush on the new school librarian, Mr. Gabriel, it's NOT okay -- he's clearly pushing 30. Worse, he's also clearly a demon, even if no one but Cyn can see it. He gets straight to work sucking the life force from the student body and making human sacrifices every other day or so. It's up to Cyn and her resistance to his charm
Cyn (semi-hiatus)
Review: After their high school gets a hot new librarian, Cyn starts noticing her best friend, and other students, are acting weird.

You know the characters in horror movies that make all the wrong decisions and die almost immediately? Cyn and Ryan are not these characters! They are quite practical. Evil Librarian is a very outrageous and bizarre and predictable read, but omg it was so. dang. FUN!!! This is like watching one of those random cheesy-good-bad movies with my sister. I'd recommend yo
hpboy13
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect. I had such a great time reading it, thoroughly enjoying myself throughout. Like, huge-smile-on-my-face-even-though-I’m-at-jury-duty enjoyment. It’s so clever, and so funny, and I am going to demand that all my friends read this right now for their own good. I enjoy books that don’t take themselves seriously, and this one doesn’t!

Cyn, the demon-fighting protagonist, is absolutely hilarious. She had me laughing out loud so many times, especially as she fought in inner monolog
Tiffy_Reads
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 fabulous stars. I loved this quirky read. I really liked the main characters Cynthia and Ryan. Especially Cyn with all her kick ass saving the world heroine personality.
Margaux
I absolutely adored this book. Obviously my profession dictates that I hold any book about librarians to a higher standard than your average story, but this one really takes the cake. It's a mix between Twilight satire and Giles from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and The Awakening.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan or paranormal or books that deal with supernatural high school drama at all. It makes fun of itself but is, at the same time, poignant. The protagonist's best friend,
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

This grew on me the further into the story I read. The start was filled with a bit too much of the heroine daydreaming about how hot/dreamy her crush was which gave the whole thing a young YA feel. Thankfully, things started to improve when the evil demon aspect came into play, I could even imagine the sarcastic evil cackling voice of the librarian pretty well.

As a side note, I don't really know why it's tagged as horror as there weren't any gruesome or gory scenes, but who cares, it w
Victoria Scott
One of the best villain's ever. I loved Mr. Gabriel! This books reads like an 80s comedic horror flick, and I absolutely loved it. I can't think of a single other YA title that's similar. Kudos for originality, voice, and an authentic "teen" feel.
Angie
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
For library geeks, theatre geeks, fans of the occult, demons, barbers, demon barbers, high school students, school librarians, library students, Sondheim fans, Italian speakers, actors, singers, prop mistresses, yeah pretty much everybody.
Pop Bop
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Eeeevill versus Friendship, Love and Loyalty, (With a Few Grins)

I like edgy smart-mouth teen heroines. Wise-guy, smarmy, dark, snarky, full of vinegar. But sometimes a change of pace is good for you. Enter our heroine Cyn.

Cyn is smart, practical, upbeat and grounded. She doesn't carry around a lot of baggage and she isn't a drama queen or a victim. She is no more angsty or tormented than normal. She has a best friend, Annie. She has other school buddies. She's neither super popular nor an outcas
Joy (joyous reads)
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, for-review, own
My husband, the sounding board.

So this is what happens when I’m not in proximity of another person passionate about books. My husband receives the brunt of the abuse. The poor man. I don’t think he can take any more of my hissy fits in the name of frustrating books, so I suggested all too sweetly that he invest in one of those noise cancelling head phones.

“Have you considered reading from another genre?” He asked.

As if I haven’t been trying! I just…I really need to get out of this YA funk, or I’
Kim
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
“An evil librarian is taking over the school. He appears to be making my best friend his special evil library monitor.”

Come on. You HAVE to continue reading after that, right? Especially if you are a book nerd with a penchant for hot librarians

Yes, this does have that Buffy feel to it. Sorta. But Cyn is no Buffy, not really. She is just an average girl who really really loves her best friend and would save her from becoming a demon child bride---who wouldn't do that for their BFF? Of course in
Kaethe
Paranormal romance is way better when it follows a Buffy outline with clever teens fighting evil and still maintaining their grades. I like it funny. In this case, the librarian is evil, is stealing bits of souls or whatever, and is planning to destroy everyone in the school. Fortunately, that's not going to happen until after opening night of the school musical, Sweeney Todd, which of course demons just love.

More than anything, this book glows with the love of putting on a show. It also highlig
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: 455
Drinking Buddy: 362.29
Testosterone Estrogen Level: 306.765
Talky Talk: 020, 235.4
Bonus Factor: 792
Bromance Status: 177.62

Read the full book report here.
Liza Wiemer
Cover: Clever – I like the overlay of the devilish outline and fangs with the title in the middle. Red on black = perfect.

I really, really like this. A demon (Mr. Gabriel) gets the job of a school librarian, ends up sucking the essence out of students, and gets girls to swoon, especially Annie, Cyn’s best friend. Cyn, the MC, is immune to the demon’s powers and she’s determined to stop him, whatever the cost.

Things that I liked about this novel:
1. Cyn’s crush on Ryan, the boy she ends up fightin
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Very funny. Well written. Cute.
Melanie
When Cynthia Rothschild’s best friend, Annie, falls head over heels for the new high-school librarian, Cyn can totally see why. He’s really young and super cute and thinks Annie would make an excellent library monitor. But after meeting Mr. Gabriel, Cyn realizes something isn’t quite right. Maybe it’s the creepy look in the librarian’s eyes, or the weird feeling Cyn gets whenever she’s around him. Before long Cyn realizes that Mr. Gabriel is, in fact . . . a demon. Now, in addition to saving the ...more
Tabitha
The main character Cyn(thia) is a reasonable girl when she isn’t being a twitterpated fool over her crush Ryan. At first that was a bit funny, and the humor had a campy sort of peculiarity to it but it unfortunately for me that got old fast. There are quite literally paragraphs of her internal monologue gushing over this guy Ryan. So when her best friend Annie turns into am almost mindless love drone for the hot new librarian I couldn’t handle it anymore. I originally picked this up becase the d ...more
Kathy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book frustrated me to no end! I have read many young adult books that I enjoyed very much, but this book aggravated me immensely! This story probably would've worked very well as an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or something...maybe even a 2 parter, but not otherwise.

First of all, the main character spent half her time mooning over a boy. I get it, she's a teenager and teenage hormones can go crazy, but there's a lot going on, people are in danger! I wanted to shake her...."Really? Y
Stacee
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This came as a recommendation from a friend and was a lot of fun.

I really liked Cyn. She had a great inner monologue and I enjoyed being in her head. There were some other fun secondary characters as well. Hands down, the best part of the entire book was that every single demon was obsessed with Sweeney Todd. There was one specific conversation about it that had me cackling.

All in all, it was a quick read with an amusing premise.
Bhawisha Chand
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Halle Watson
3.5 stars. Funny, charming, and overall pleasant. Not some sort of amazing story, but with a title like " Evil Librarian," you know what your getting into.
Morgan
Here's the thing... Some books just manage to hit so many of your "like" buttons that they shoot upwards in your esteem.

This is one of those books.

It isn't perfect, but...

- Humor -- The self-deprecating type of humor, at that! It doesn't take itself seriously. But that's not all that makes it funny.

- Paranormal -- It was like Buffy, but demons instead of vampires. And she's a super-roach and not a Slayer. lol.

- THEATER GEEKERY -- Yeah. Sweeney Todd theater geekery.

It's about friendship above al
Sara
Since I read this book a few month ago, I have finally started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And my original assessment that this book is basically a long Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode is now completely reaffirmed.

This book was fun. I think fun is the best word for it. It made me giggle multiple times, I really liked the sarcastic theatre geek main character, and the evil librarian was pretty badass. I would definitely give this book to teens who are looking for something light and fluf
Miriam
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Good librarians, theater kids
Shelves: fantasy, ya, theater, school
This reads like a YA version of The Demon Headmaster (only with actual demons, thankfully) rewritten by someone who grew up watching Buffy. Supernatural elements aside, it's a little implausible in how nice the school and kids are, how clever and well spoken the main characters, but overall tons of fun, humor, and nicely paced action.
July Is The Shadow Out of Time The Haunted Reading Room
21 Stars and "Wow! Wow! Wow! " I was totally absorbed and riveted by this absolutely wonderful book, which surpasses all my expectations for the YA genre. Forget high school drama, these students have real trouble: DEMONS!! Forget suspension of disbelief; believe me, you WILL believe. Well-written, strong on friendship, love, and loyalty--I SO hope this will be a series!

Sharon
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
If ever I'm hypnotized by a demon from Hell, I would hope to have a friend like Cynthia who will fight dirty to save me from a fate worse than death!

Librarians aren't evil, but Cyn is absolutely positively sure the school's new handsome hottie Mr. Gabriel is a demon. With horns. And definitely interested in Cyn's best friend Annie -- sweet unspoiled never been in love and heartbroken Annie.

When Annie is caught up in a daze, Cyn must find a way to stop Mr. Gabriel from his evil plot to steal the
-ˋˏ c a i s e e ˎˊ-
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this would be a fantastic movie and Cara Delevingne should play Cynthia !!!
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable horror-comedy. Reminded me of Buffy at times. And apparently demons love Sweeney Todd :)
Caitlin
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review here.

Evil Librarian is a fantasy novel with danger and evil and drama (and some musical theatre for good measure). It is also a comedy and a romance and a tale of friendship. It doesn’t take the Fantasy genre too seriously which makes it a fun read.

Knudsen has a pretty distinct prosaic style. She seems to be a fan of run-on sentences and experimental punctuation. While this might annoy me in other novels, it works quite well here. Indeed, it gives the narrative a rather conv
  • Into the Grey
  • Man Made Boy (Man Made Boy #1)
  • Gretchen (Zombillenium #1)
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • The Awesome
  • Fat Boy vs the Cheerleaders
  • The Color of Rain
  • The Prom Goer's Interstellar Excursion
  • Demon Down (Xoe Meyers, #4)
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • The Infects
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
  • Cherry Money Baby
  • Hellhole
  • A Darker Past (The Darker Agency, #2)
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable, #2)
  • The Black Butterfly
I'm the author of 45 books for young readers for all ages. Titles include the New York Times best-selling picture book Library Lion (illustrated by Kevin Hawkes), the middle-grade fantasy novels The Dragon of Trelian and The Princess of Trelian, and the YA novel Evil Librarian, which won the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award for Humor(!).

My newest book is the picture book Marilyn's Monster (Candlewick, Ma
More about Michelle Knudsen

Evil Librarian (2 books)
  • Revenge of the Evil Librarian

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Maybe… they are stocking high schools across the country with hot young librarians as part of a massive literacy initiative.” 14 likes
“Musical theater can save you, even if only for two or three hours at a time.” 6 likes