Start by marking “A Library Book for Bear” as Want to Read:
A Library Book for Bear

A Library Book for Bear

(Bear and Mouse #5)

Bear does not want to go to the library. He is quite sure he already has all the books he will ever need. Yet the relentlessly cheery Mouse, small and gray and bright-eyed, thinks different. When Bear reluctantly agrees to go with his friend to the big library, neither rocket ships nor wooden canoes are enough for Bear’s picky tastes. How will Mouse ever find the perfect b ...more
Published July 22nd 2014 by Candlewick Press (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Library Book for Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Library Book for Bear

La Coccinelle
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Bear really doesn't like change. He likes his routine, and the seven books on his mantel, thank you very much. So when Mouse takes him to the library, Bear is sure he won't find anything he wants to read. It takes getting sucked in by storytime for Bear to see that the library just might have something to offer him after all.

Like A Bedtime for Bear, this book features charming illustrations with great facial expressions on the characters (especially Bear). The message about trying new things is
Julie
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Both the text and illustrations are truly delightful. Not only does bear discover the satisfying pleasure of browsing a library and finding book treasures for the first time, he also stumbles upon story time and discovers the pure joy of being read to.
Abigail
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Have Enjoyed Other Stories About Bear and Mouse
Although Bear is convinced that he has all of the books he will ever need - "three about kings and queens, three about honeybees, and one about pickles" - he and Mouse head to the library in this fifth picture-book devoted to their adventures together. Mouse tries his best to find the perfect book for his persnickety friend, but Bear only gets more and more impatient, and more and more loud. Then Bear overhears the librarian telling the story of "The Very Brave Bear and the Treasure of Pickle Is ...more
Garrett
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Listen--I work in a library and I can tell you that never has there been a patron like Bear. Bear is rude and loud and stubborn and doesn't like any of your book suggestions. It would be unfathomable if a library patron acted in such a way!
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Bear had never been to the library. He had seven very nice books at home: three about kings and queens, three about honeybees, and one about pickles. Bear was quite sure he had all the books he would ever need.”

Okay, maybe I’m easily amused but I just laughed out loud at that first page quote – and quickly ran and read it aloud to my library supervisor! Then, I carefully put the book aside … and raced home to read the book aloud to … my husband!! No kids in my house; just the overgrown big kid
Edward Sullivan
Bear is convinced the seven books he has at home are all he needs until his persuasive pal takes him to the public library.
Mehsi
Not a long review, just a short one to express my thoughts.

My first Bear and Mouse book, normally they don't really seem like ones I would enjoy, but then I saw this one and knew I had to try it out! I love libraries and books, and so I was curious if Bear would change his feelings on books.

Bear is a great character, though I must also confess that I found him annoying for most of the book. I didn't like that he shouted in the library, I didn't like how obstinate he was. He didn't even want to
Martha
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bear has never been to a library, why should he when he has seven perfect books on his bookshelf. But when his best friend Mouse comes by to take him, Bear realizes he can't refuse Mouse because he promised Mouse earlier that he would go with him. The illustrations of huge Bear skating unbalanced on his little red roller skates with Mouse perched precariously on a little basket that Bear's holding is a hoot, because of the curmudgeonly expression of bear's face and posture. Bear's disposition go ...more
Chance Lee
Apr 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
I really like the artwork in this one, watercolor illustrations with creamy colors and subtle brushwork. The characters are unique and funny, and the story is good -- a story about stepping outside of one's comfort zone, the magic of the library, storytime, and pickles.
Stella Wenny
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really really love the water-colored illustration. So pretty.
Margaret
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Bear is grumpy and mouse gets him to the library. Of course he finds a book he really likes (has pickles in it). I tested this out with first graders today--they loved it. Fun places to be the grumpy bear and do a tiny mouse voice, too. And of course there's a nice, inviting librarian. Now I need some pickle books!
Almira
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bear doesn't need more than 7 books, and they should be about pickles.
Mouse convinces Bear they need to go to the library, of course, Bear doesn't understand about speaking quietly.....
Read this at my Pre-school story time program at the library, the children LOVED it.
Linda Gill
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Bear had never been to the library.... Bear was quite sure he had all the books he would ever need."

So this story begins. He had seven (7!!) books and he was sure that he had enough! We know differently, don't we?

His friend, Mouse, and he were supposed to go to the library, but now that Mouse had come for him, he was sure that he had made a mistake in accepting this invitation. But Bear consented, put his roller skates on; Mouse hopped into the basket carried by Bear, and off they went. As th
Dolly
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parent reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, library, 2015
This is another fun story in the Bear and Mouse series by Bonny Becker and Kady MacDonald Denton. I was very excited to discover this tale, especially since the friends go to the library and I am always a fan of library stories.

The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are as adorable as ever. I love that the vocabulary in the story is a little challenging for younger children, with words like "dreadful, delightful, rippling, excessive, and extravagant."

For some reason, I wasn't inspired
Susan Brown
Review from School Library Journal:
For Preschool-K — The set-in-his-ways star of A Visitor for Bear (Candlewick, 2012) is back. Bear is reluctant to try new things, so when Mouse insists they go to the library, he finds the whole idea "excessive" and "extravagant"—after all, he has seven very nice books at home. He grows grumpier and grumpier as Mouse shows him books about rockets and entreats him to use his quiet voice, but when he hears the librarian reading at storytime, Bear falls under the
Heidi-Marie
I adore the Bear books. I want to own every one. But especially this one. Because I'm a librarian. And I love books. And having Bear discover how amazing books are, especially with all libraries have to offer--yep, I'm sold! I might be able to swing this in storytime if I prep them for a longer book. They'll get the library part, since they come regularly!

1/7/15 The perfect closing book for my Books & Libraries theme. Had a lot of fun reading this aloud. The length didn't bother them at all,
Barbara Gregorich
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I'm a big fan of Bonny Becker's bear and mouse books, starting with the hilarious A Visitor for Bear, and so when I saw this most recent addition to the series, I just had to read it. Even though this book isn't as uproariously funny as the first one, it still packs a lot of humor (particularly when bear violates and then enforces the library's "speak quietly" rule) most of it stemming from the bear's curmudgeonly nature.

Any one who has tried to introduce somebody else (child or adult) to someth
Julie
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved the whimsy of the illustrations - bear reading a book about pickles and drinking a cup of tea when mouse comes to take him to the library! Also loved the "cluster of youngsters" gathered around the librarian as she reads - goose, rabbit, possums, raccoons clutching their own books, a baby-wearing fox with two cubs in a sling, and, best of all, the mother squirrel who "shushes" bear! Bear has "all the books he needs," but eventually gets enticed by storytime and totes home seven new books - ...more
Kristen
Thank you, Bonny Becker, for making the librarian the smiler and not the shusher. This will be the perfect book to read when kids come for a library tour, or during family storytime (especially if there are harumphy grownups there).
Amy
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bear (along with other people, it seems) believes that he has enough books of his own and doesn't need to visit a library. After Mouse convinces him to come, Bear finds the perfect book treasures for him.
Kathryn
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
If there is a bear, a mouse, a library and pickles in a story how can it not be good?
Ruth Ann
Perfect for introducing the library to preschool - first graders.

Good for First Grade First Card?
Kate
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, children
I love the bear character. I love all the silly faces he makes.
Kimberly
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mouse shows Bear the joys of the library! (And how to use his library voice).
Sunah Chung
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bear was sure that he does not need more books because he has enough and nice books at home. Bear went to a library only on the insistence of a small, gray and bright-eyed Mouse. Bear stubbornly declined the books suggested by Mouse, but the story of the book read by a librarian during story time caught his attention, and he changed his mind to check out the book.
The book, A Library Book for Bear, teaches the following lessons: 1) be quiet in the library, and 2) there are lots of interesting b
Michelle
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bonnie Becker Bear books have been one of the most favorites in our home while our daughter has been growing up. This one, which we just all read together, had just the same amount of charm and personality as the previous ones in the series. As each has its own little life lesson, Library Book for Bear teaches us that libraries have a huge amount of book options. And though this can be overwhelming at first, we can discover books that not only meet our desires, but also be introduced to new ...more
Jennifer Heise
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a librarian book! Bear doesn't want to go to the library because he's perfectly happy with the 7 books (on 3 topics) that he has. But he promised Mouse. Can Mouse, or anyone at the library, find something he'll like?
Every parent or librarian who has tried to get a child or grownup friend to use the library will identify with the process here. (Reminds me of a recent Reddit thread in fact). Bear is, in fact, eventually lured into getting some books via a particular storytime book... Great pi
AD
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Bear's friend Mouse convinces him to come to the Library, even though he already has 7 books of his own at home. Bear is not convinced that he has any need for the Library, and Mouse has a hard time convincing him (and almost gives up). But when Bear hears the Librarian reading a story about a very brave bear, he is suddenly hooked!
I love the illustrations in this story, especially at the start where Bear's frowning face is so expressive!
Kris Dersch
Probably generous in my number of stars, but it is cute and made me smile. Librarians will recognize Bear. Many people think they don't need the library...and not all of them are little kids, either. I don't love that Bear got shushed but do like that the librarian herself never shushes him. And, of course, while it is indeed too easy that he in the end gets the *exact* book he is looking for in *exactly* the right way, a librarian can dream...
Zach Rusnak
This was a good book. The book delivered a positive message to children about books by showing that there are many good books out there. The bear thinks there are only 7 books that he needs, but discovers there are many books he enjoys. The illustrations in the book were also good. Children would definitely enjoy the book as well as the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • Peggy
  • Waiting for the Biblioburro
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Found (Bear and Bunny)
  • Mo's Mustache
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • Rupert Can Dance
Bonny Becker is the author of a number of award-winning picture books and middle-grade novels. She lives in Seattle.

Bear and Mouse (6 books)