Start by marking “Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)” as Want to Read:
Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Darling Beast

(Maiden Lane #7)

A MAN CONDEMNED . . .

Falsely accused of murder and mute from a near-fatal beating, Apollo Greaves, Viscount Kilbourne has escaped from Bedlam. With the Crown's soldiers at his heels, he finds refuge in the ruins of a pleasure garden, toiling as a simple gardener. But when a vivacious young woman moves in, he's quickly driven to distraction . . .

A DESPERATE WOM
Published October 14th 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Darling Beast, please sign up.
Sh3lly I read Duke of Sin (#10) first without realizing it was part of a series and it worked fine as a stand-alone. I think most of them can be read as…moreI read Duke of Sin (#10) first without realizing it was part of a series and it worked fine as a stand-alone. I think most of them can be read as stand-alones. You might miss some nuances as characters from past books show up, but no key plot points are missed that I am aware of and I've started from the beginning and am up to book 6 now. I have even DNF'd two of them because I didn't like the couples and I didn't miss anything. Duke of Sin and Thief of Shadows (#4) are my favorites so far.(less)

Start your review of Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
Jilly
Well, I've just met the fictional man that I will be leaving my husband for. Hey, we've had 23 years of marriage. It was a good run. Time to move on.

This guy is awesome. He's conniving, funny, egotistical, completely overdressed, and beautiful. I really need him in my life.

Oh, he's not the main character in this book. No, he's a side character. But, the main guy is so damn boring that I had to look elsewhere for my thrills. Note to hubby: take heed of these words. I've heard your "dad jokes" for 23 yea
Choko
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with my Romantic friends @ the MacHalo Freaks!

Another lovely addition to the series. We are already at book 7 and get to follow up with Apollo, the escaped inmate from Bedlam psychiatric hospital, where he was tortured and severely mistreated by the guards, to the point of crushing his oesophagus and rendering him with no voice... He is in hiding and is staying at the ruins of an old theater, spending his waking hours gardening and creating a fresh start for t
Alp
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“you are my light and my laughter, and if you would let me, I would spend the rest of my life protecting you from everything that is ugly.”

Beautiful. Very, very beautiful.

Darling Beast took me by surprise! Just when I thought Elizabeth Hoyt couldn't amaze me more with her works, she proved me wrong. Honestly, I don't know where to start or what to write because this book was virtually perfect in every way. I can't even put into words how wonderful it was. Oh, I really loved it!
Jen
Another great read in the Maiden Lane series! In this 7 th installment, it took me a bit to warm up to the heroine Lily. I did eventually though, and of course I fell for the hero right off the bat!

This series continues to hold my attention and is brilliantly written! An entertaining historical romance full of passionate sex, great romance, suspense, and even some humour thrown in! What more can a reader ask for?!!! I guess the next book!!! Lol
♥Sharon♥
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What a wonderful series this is. Apollo and Lily's story was sweet and tender. Just as I expected it to be. ❤

Apollo deserved someone in his life that would see beyond the beast that others had shaped him to be. With his hands he created beauty within his garden but it did not compare to the beauty he found in Lily.

"Lily, my light my love."

Lady Wesley
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
31 March 2015
Yea and yippee! Darling Beast is a 2015 RITA nominee. I hope so much that Elizabeth Hoyt wins, not only for writing a great book, but also for seamlessly taking her successful Maiden Lane series in a different direction.

13 October 2014
You might think that an author would begin to run out of ideas when she reaches the seventh volume in a series. In Elizabeth’s Hoyt’s case, however, you would be wrong. In Darling Beast she takes the Maiden Lane series into a new neighborhood w
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
I love Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series and was over the moon when she announced that she had signed a contract for a further three books. In this series, she always creates dark, edgy stories; compelling, unique characters; sensual romance and smouldering love scenes. This is the seventh book in the series and continues the story of Apollo Greaves, Viscount Kilbourne who was introduced in the previous book, DUKE OF MIDNIGHT .

At first what she saw looked like an enormous, moving, mud-covered mound,.
Princess under cover
This was a good book. Not a wow-me book, but solid.

I like the strong, silent very manly-man hero, and Apollo is definitely that. Literally, for a good chunk of the book.

I like that he's not supposed to be good looking, but there's this animal magnetism about him that's still very compelling.

I like the Heroine OK. Nothing particularly special, esp. after reading my fav heroine in Alf. The surrounding intrigue I kinda just skipped a lot.

Onto the next book!
Sam (AMNReader)
so. I just didn't care. The book was entertaining, engaging enough, and I didn't care. Something felt off. To be honest, it's probably me, but may have been the pacing a bit too.
It was fine. I'm fine. I need a book that clicks with me.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Lily Stump or better known as Robin Goodfellow is an actress currently without a stage. Lily, along with her son and friend Maude are currently living in a badly fire damaged theatre while gardeners see to replanting and shaping up the also damaged pleasure gardens. Until the theatre is repaired Lily is making money by writing plays and having her brother sell them. Lily's life is not grand but her son Indio certainly makes it entertaining and one way Indio decides to shake
Melanie A.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
4 STARS!
"I endured Bedlam and it was a crucible to my soul, burning what I was before and reshaping me."
Not my favorite of the Maiden Lane series, but let's face it, even an average book by Elizabeth Hoyt is better than most. :-)

Lily and Apollo's story got off to a rocky start for me; I felt like there wasn't quite enough initial interaction between them to warrant the way their relationship kicked off. Fortunately, everything came together toward the end.
"You are my light and my laughter."
~sigh
Pamela(AllHoney)
The seventh addition to the awesome Maiden Lane series by Elizabeth Hoyt. Apollo Greaves was set up to take the fall for the murder of three friends. Instead of being hung he is sent to Bedlam for being insane. After a beating takes away his voice, he escapes Bedlam and finds refuge in the ruins of Harte's Folly. There he meets Indio, a young boy, and his mother, Lily Stump. Lily is an actress and currently out of work. She is allowed to live at the theater for free until she gets back on her feet.< ...more
Alyssa

Book Seven of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: October 14, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

A MAN CONDEMNED . . .

Falsely accused of murder
♥ℳelody

Oh Apollo. He's so adorable. *sigh*

I enjoyed this one overall. Hoyt really has a deft hand at creating layered flawed characters who develop more overtime.

Highlights for me:
-Apollo: Loved him before this, love him now. He's as patient, kind, gentle, sweet and smexy as I was hoping he would be. Darling giant indeed. His devotion to his sister Artemis is so endearing and his desperation and yearning to obtain a "normal" life after his horrific ordeal in Bedlam was tangible. I loved his passion for landscape arcme:
Crista
3 stars

It is difficult for me to give this author’s work anything but a 5 star review, but alas, I am being generous even giving this book 3 stars, as it was more like 2 stars.

I am a long time lover and fan of all things written by Elizabeth Hoyt. Her ability to write quality love stories, amazing steam and sensuality, and consistently deliver books that are memorable and a “sure thing” is legendary. Darling Beast was a rare miss for her (in my humble opinion).

I absolutel
Mei
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Well, this is much better than the previous one!

I was almost afraid to read it, but actually I enjoyed it! :)

Maybe it was due to the fact that the "Ghost" is not present here! His presence was outlived and was becoming a hindrance!

I liked both the hero, Apollo, and the heroine, Lily.

He has huge problems being a fugitive from Bedlam and a wanted supposed murderer. HE's a really huge guy and people are afraid of him and are ready to think the worst. Instead, he
Bj
*I gave this Audiobook an A- for the content and B+ for the narration at AudioGals*

I love stories that transcend class to prove that we are all equal irrespective of the luck of the particular station in life in which we were born to. Darling Beast is a spectacular example of this adage. It presents us with a timeless, beautiful romance with just a touch of suspense to keep the story exciting. Additionally, Ashford MacNab delivers a spellbinding rendition, making this a great book to experience i
Caz
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for narration and B+ for content at All About Romance.

Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series is, I think, her only one where I’ve not read any of the books, but have listened to all in audio format instead. Normally with long-running series, I find I do a bit of each – read some, listen to some (and in some cases read and listen, but somehow this has been an audio-only collection for me.

The first four books in the series were most ably narrated by Ashford MacNab, so when, for
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

This was a bit cute. After some very heavy and sad fantasy reading I needed something completely like this where there isn’t a ton of heartache and we were able to get to the cute phase quickly.

I liked Apollo and his tragic tale as soon as we learned of it from his sister Artemis’s book. Most of the most horrific things that happened to Apollo were in that book and so most of Darling Beast is spent in Apollo’s recovery from the brutal beating that took his voice and even
Mo
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another solid read from Ms Hoyt. The first half might have been a bit slow but then the pace picked up.

Yes, the cast of characters from the previous books make an appearance.

Sometimes people ask if the books have to be read in order. I think they do. Maybe others would disagree and say they can be read as "stand-alones".

Yes, the cast of characters from the previous books make an appearance.

Pushed for a bit of time so my review will have to do at this!!

Tracy T.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Elizabeth Hoyt fan and have read all her books. So it is extremely disappointing to me that this story was boring. There really was nothing exciting, emotional, no OMG moments, no mystery. The story line was so hum drum and meh.
This could have been a stand alone book as it did not seem to fit at all into the Maiden Lane series at all.

The chemistry between Apollo and Lily was just okay, nothing memorable. The sex scenes were fine. There was lots of dialogue throughout the entir
Tin
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Last night, I became a meme. Specifically, this one:

And it's all because of Elizabeth Hoyt's Darling Beast, which I ended up reading from cover to cover from 9pm to past midnight.

While the first six books of the Maiden Lane series feature a character who unleashes his inner beast, Apollo Greaves is a character who is trying to discover his inner humanity. After four years in Bedlam, Apollo has escaped and is hiding out at his friend Asa Makepeace's place while he figures out his next move. In the meone:
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Yay! The talented Ashford McNab is back narrating this one - and the next!
Maria Rose
As always, I can count on Ashford McNab to deliver a fantastic audiobook narration of a steamy historical romance by Elizabeth Hoyt! I'm really enjoying the Maiden Lane series (despite being very behind) and found this one to be just as interesting as the previous ones, though it has veered off from the original St. Giles storyline (no surprise with the length of the series). I loved Lucy and Apollo's characters and the story moves along at a smooth pace with an intriguing plot and a great endin ...more
Hollis
While I haven't loved every single book in the Maiden Lane series, I have definitely liked or found some aspect to enjoy in each one (except LORD OF DARKNESS. we'll pretend that one never happened). When it comes to DARLING BEAST, I liked it mostly because the setting had nothing to do with St Giles, giving us a bit of a break from all that conflict, as well as for reasons that had nothing to do with the couple of the story; though they, too, had their moments.

First off, our hero is ugly. Or
Tanya Sridhar
4/5 stars. Hoyt does it again!

I've read many (too many, one could argue) Maiden Lane books. I've skipped a few books in between; like "Duke of Midnight" because Maximum annoys the crap out of me. Because of this though, I also missed out the backstory for Artemis and Apollo.

I went into this book expecting very little, because I in no sense felt any connection to any of the characters. I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Lily stump is a super famous actress with a 7 year old son who
Piper
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He held her sweet face between his palms and caressed her temples with his thumbs as he opened his mouth over hers, inhaling her gasp. When at last he drew back, he whispered against her lips, "Do you know where we are?"

FIVE
sweet, sensual stars. I loved this story!! Apollo and Lily saw deeply into each other's souls and it was a beautiful thing.
As for Indio— such an adorable little boy. ♥♥♥
Keri
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this fabulous series!! Apollo's book was no exception, except that is wasn't long enough. I just wasn't ready for this lovely couples story to be over. The only niggle is I would have liked to have Athena's reaction to her brother finally gaining his voice back or a longer epi or something. I can't wait for Phoebe's story and what is up with the Duke, is he a spider or what or is she a black widow in disguise? Asa Makepeace, I can't wait to see who gets paired with him, I wouldn't have g ...more
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
4 Stars

At this point in the Maiden Lane series you would think Hoyt would run out of ideas, but this one was another fab story. Apollo, is a wrongly imprisoned aristocrat who loses his voice and is in hiding for his life. He cannot speak, but he builds a relationship with a little boy Indio and his mom Lily.

I don't know how Hoyt does it but she has a way of creating deep, emotional, bold, dynamic and unique characters that you grow to love. (Even the supporting characters are amazing. I'm loo
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
A nice addition to the series. I was intrigued by Apollo after reading book 4 (?) in which his sister is the heroine. This romance develops really nicely and the sex is very good. I almost wish Hoyt had committed fully and left Apollo mute for the duration of the novel. Hoyt has had a habit throughout this series of inflicting characters with physical and mental afflictions and then having them magically cured by the Magic Power Of Love. That said, I liked this.

• Someone to Watch Over Me (Bow Street Runners, #1)
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Only a Duke Will Do (School for Heiresses, #2)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1)
  • The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
“Fear had a tendency to drive away the courtesy of civilization.” 4 likes
“I found it after the soldiers came and I kept it. I don’t know why because at that point I wasn’t sure I’d ever see you again. But then when I uncovered it this morning, I knew… that is…” She reached out and flipped the pages of the notebook until the last page lay open in his hands. She’d written something there. He bent and read. I love you, Beast. I love you, Caliban. I love you, Apollo. I love you, Romeo. I love you, Smith. I love you, Gardener. I love you, Aristocrat. I love you, Lover. I love you, Husband. I love you, Friend. I love you, You. He inhaled and looked up. She was twisting her hands together. “For a writer, I’m awfully ineloquent. I don’t know—” He dropped the notebook and pulled her into his arms, kissing her passionately. He held her sweet face between his palms and caressed her temples with his thumbs as he opened his mouth over hers, inhaling her gasp. When at last he drew back, he whispered against her lips, “Do you know where we are?” “Yes,” she murmured, her eyes closed. “At the heart of the maze.” And when she opened her lichen-green eyes he saw all the love he’d ever hoped for shining in her eyes just for him. “At your heart—and mine.” 4 likes