Start by marking “The Secret Life of Squirrels” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Squirrels

The Secret Life of Squirrels

(The Secret Life of Squirrels)

Adorable squirrels as you've never seen them!

You may think you know what squirrels do all day...but Mr. Peanuts is no ordinary squirrel. Instead of climbing tress, he plays the piano. ("Moonlight Sonutta" is his favorite.) Instead of scurrying through the woods, he reads books (such as A Tail of Two Cities). But everything is more fun with company, so Mr. Peanuts writes a
Published October 21st 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Squirrels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Squirrels

karen
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
merry national squirrel appreciation day eve!!

SQUIRRELS ARE NERDS, TOO!

so, apparently this is the thing about squirrels: if you set up little dioramas in your yard, they will come over and be adorable among your landscapes and act like little fuzzy humans.

i encourage all of you all to follow ms. rose's example.

because this, while cute, is "just" a picture of a squirrel:

but this?? this wins.

and this book isn't "just" photos - there's a whole story here abou
Erica
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy kamole, this book just killed me dead.
It murdered me with cuteness.
It's a story about Mr. Peanuts (YES! MR. PEANUTS!) who is not an ordinary squirrel. He performs many people activities and he is adorable when he does so. He grills peanuts and apparently calls them hot dogs. He fastidiously cleans his house to prepare for the arrival of his cousin! They get ice cream and they play chess!
It is adorable!
And you may be wondering how this could be all that cute? Well, these are real squirrels!
Carmen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Most squirrels spend their days gathering nuts and climbing trees.

Not Mr. Peanuts.

He is a rather unusual squirrel.

This book is ADORABLE, and both children and adults will enjoy it. It shows a squirrel living his little life: ironing, drinking coffee/tea while reading books, vacuuming, and grilling. He invites his cousin to stay with him and they have an enjoyable time together.

The story is simple, but the story isn't really the point: the pictures are.

At the end of the book there are two extra
Sophia Triad
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Mr. Peanuts is bored, so he invites his cousin to spend time together. They will go for ice-cream, they will play chess, they will go camping etc.
Simple story with amazing photos of squirrels.
In order to create these photos, the author sets up tiny sets at her backyard and then she will wait patiently until the squirrels come out and play and interact with them.
If the little readers are too eager to do the same thing, the book also includes tips for photographing wild life.
Yvonne
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
The patience involved with making the set ups and backgrounds and then waiting for the squirrels to interact with these things. The author has a website www.secretlifeofsquirrels.com with more fun pictures of the squirrels interacting with more sets.

Donalyn
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The most fascinating part of this odd book is the instructions on how to photograph wildlife.
Danielle
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the cutest squirrel-related books I've ever read! I love the little scenes the author-photographer created. Such fun photographs!
April Thompson
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What's cuter than a squirrel doing everyday people things??... Almost nothing, my friends. Read along as Mr. Peanuts awaits his cousins arrival. Who doesn't love miniature BBQ pits and vacuums?
Rebecca
Well, this is adorable. Mr. Peanuts is lonely and mails a tiny letter to his cousin inviting him for a visit. The story is told in photos of real squirrels, shot by a photographer who built her own miniature sets on her deck and baited them with peanuts, then waited for the right light and the right shot. Includes "ten tips for photographing wildlife" and "Q&A with Nancy Rose."
Holly Mueller
I love the creativity and patience of this author/photographer! I had seen some of her squirrel pictures before, so I was happy when I saw this book! She creates miniature tableaux, and then wait until squirrels come to investigate and snaps hundreds of photos until she gets just the right one to create the scene. So cute!
Linda
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A darling book that had me laughing out loud several times. Nancy Rose doesn't own trained squirrels per se but the squirrels in her backyard were willing to play her various tableau for food and a bit of fame. It puts my half dozen squirrels to shame.

In addition to a sweet little story, Rose takes the time to not only explains how all the pictures were taken but the best way to take your own wildlife pictures.

paula
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never underestimate the appeal of miniatures. Mr. Peanuts (a real squirrel) (not taxidermy thank god) is photographed in various tableaux made of doll furniture or handmade items - LOVE the twig bed and the appliances made from boxes. But this is a taste thing. Either you think squirrels are cute, or you see them as squirmy, bitey, greasy-looking creeps.
"Ten tips for photographing wildlife" is a great piece of backmatter.
Ben De Bono
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ben by: Matt Anderson
Great book or greatest book? The Secret Life of Squirrels is a masterpiece of squirrel photography.

My only complaint is that there is one photo near the end of a blue jay. I'd have much preferred a 100% bird free book
Penny McGill
This is the book that deserves to be on anyone's gift list this season. If you have a problem person to buy for then The Secret Life of Squirrels is your answer! At first you might wonder.. do I really want to know what squirrels do in secret (or you might assume you already know) and then, you turn the page and are so happy you found out. They are just like everyone else. They bake, they read and they like to spend a bit of time outdoors with their bbq. They write letters and friends come to vi ...more
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OK. It doesn't matter what the story is about. The book portrays squirrels doing people things - like mailing a letter, playing a piano, and reading. The photographs are all it needs to make this one a hit! Bonus is learning how to photograph live animals - if you're brave enough to try.
Laura Salas
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Every kid who spends time building houses and cars and furniture for fairies, Polly Pockets, pet guinea pigs, etc. (like I did when I was a kid) will be enchanted by these photos of squirrels in adorable scenes built by photographer Nancy Rose. Too. Cute.
Jill
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I teach high school Special Education and when I read this book to my class it was the first book all year that they looked at and listened to!! Most of my kids have ASD so eye contact is not usual! They loved this book!!! The pictures are amazing!
Vicki
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
A most unique story, almost like the secret life of squirrels! Photos and other real life objects comprise the illustrations. A couple of pages at the end of the book give tips on photography and shows how the creator set up some of the photos.
Brownd2
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
thoroughly enjoyed this treasure...wonderful pictures...terrific attention to detail....it is quite evident the squirrels enjoyed it too..this is why we always feed the squirrels and as is the saying in our house:"we should have bought a squirrel"--(can you name that movie???)
David
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
so many twist & turns. I was at the edge of my seat.
Emma
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars just for the miniature props and real squirrels! Adorable!
Cheryl Gladfelter
Super fun photographs of Mr. Peanuts going about day-to-day life and receiving a visit from his cousin. Of course, any book that features squirrels being awesome is fantastic in my opinion.
Amy
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I've always wished I could hold a squirrel. Nancy Rose's book makes them look even cuter with her photographs of those furry "rodents" doing real life things.
Diana Murray
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genius. And so funny. My kids loved it, as did I.
Polly
If you like photos of animals doing human things, you will like this book. If you don't, you won't. I'm not a big fan of such things, and the text leaves something to be desired.
Jessica
This was the most adorable book!!!
Matt Bashore
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this with my dog Vanilla Wafer when she was recuperating from a dog bite (she claims it was an alligator). Most excellent. I was thoroughly delighted. 'Nilla was not as enthusiastic. She prefers the live squirrel theatre of our picture windows. Tough critic. We both suspicioned the squirrels were up to more than it appears.. and sure enough.
Frankie 1K B4 K
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love these books! I can't believe these are real pictures of squirrels. I wish they visited my yard and did fun things like these books.
Tara
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Grab this one for the clever photography more than the story.
Mariah Roze
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
These stories don't have much of a story line but have really cool photos :)
  • I Wish I Had a Pet
  • Peanut Butter & Cupcake
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • Have You Seen My Dragon?
  • Penguin and Pinecone (Penguin)
  • The Bossier Baby
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Swim, Duck, Swim!
  • I'm Not Reading!
  • Princess Sparkle-Heart Gets a Makeover
  • Planting the Wild Garden
  • If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur
  • I Love You Already!
  • Please, Open This Book!
  • Naughty Mabel
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • A Library Book for Bear
I have always loved crafts and cute animals, and after taking lots of photos of squirrels and birds at my backyard feeders, I decided to get more creative. Gradually the "secret world" of my backyard squirrels emerged. As both a guidance counselor and a photographer, my goal is to make people smile when they are having a bad day, and I am thrilled to share my fun squirrel photos with readers far a ...more

The Secret Life of Squirrels (5 books)
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels: A Love Story
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels: Back to School!
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels: A Little Peanuts Book
  • Merry Christmas, Squirrels!