Start by marking “The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy

The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy

(Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1-3)

The perfect gift for readers who want to be swept away.
The Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy Gift Set includes three hardcovers: Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Days of Blood & Starlight, and Dreams of Gods & Monsters.

From master storyteller and National Book Award finalist Laini Taylor comes a sweeping and gorgeously written modern fantasy series about a
Published October 21st 2014 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy

Start your review of The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy
LotusFlower
[image error] photo MiniLegoRatingGuideforGoodreadReviews_zpsb49ff207.jpg"
*I DO NOT RECAP THE BOOKS IN MY REVIEWS, THAT IS WHAT THE BOOK DESCRIPTION IS FOR. NOR DO I HAVE SPOILERS*
This review can also be found on my blog, http://abitchandabookreview.blogspot.... as well as free book listings, new book release dates, and a wealth of other cool stuff!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Overall Review

[image error] photo miniAwesomeLegoratingforGoodreadsreview_zps89e0db57.jpg
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy is right up there at the top of the BEST BOOK SERIES I HAVE EVER READ. I actually put off reading this
Alan Denham
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
A very promising start ...

But sadly didn't live up to it.

I had been seeing this book 'around' for a while - advertised, in the bookshops, on Goodreads users lists, etc, so I thought I would give it a try.

The first 30% or thereabouts was very good! The author has come up with a promising variation on the 'Angels versus Demons' theme where both sides are at the very least morally ambiguous, and possibly in role reversal. The background is skilfully built up, the principal character is shown in a
Winter Sophia Rose
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, Complex, Dark. Heartbreaking & Breathtaking! A Beautiful Read! I Loved It!
Amy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!
Recommended to Amy by: April White
I'm really not sure quite how to convey how very much I enjoyed this series. I will try with just a few words. The story is unique. I am a huge fan of the Fantasy/ Sci-Fi genre. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy was that and more. There was a fairy tale quality that made the story jump right off the pages. I spent a week reading the series, beginning to end. Laini Taylor did a masterful job of building a world within/around/without. The characters were drawn in technicolor clarity. My ...more
Andrea
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews

The world that Laini Taylor builds in this series is very complex and very thorough. Much like The Hunger Games series, each book in the trilogy represents a different stage in the overall conflict: Daughter of Smoke and Bone introduces readers to Karou, an art student in Prague who lives with a family of chimaera (creatures made up of different animal parts, like, for example, a gryphon). She helps collect teeth for Brimstone, her chimaera father, but has
Cosmic Sher
Where has Laini Taylor been hiding? She's a new author for me and I'm gobsmacked at her talent for words, for characterizations, for storytelling. She is a true STORYTELLER with all big caps! This trilogy is nothing you've ever read before and it holds up through all three books, leaving you so satisfied but yearning for more at the end. It's Beautiful, people! Just read the darn thing already!
bookSmith
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. I consider myself a reader of light-fantasy, so this series was a stretch for me and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the read. One of the reasons I shy away from traditional fantasy novels is because of the complicated characters otherworldly settings. This could have been a complicated series, but the settings and characters were clearly developed (so I was rarely confused or overwhelmed).

I want to hang out with 17 year-old Karou in Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I want to peak
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am quite positive I do not have enough words in my vocabulary to describe my feelings towards this trilogy. As I said to my husband, this is like Harry Potter levels of good and I am swept away. Loved it. So much that I will now demand that everyone I know (who I deem worthy of this level of awesomeness) read it too. So much love.
Bored to Death book club
Binge watching is the new black, but as we deal in books we'll binge read a whole bunch of series for you and write about them. Be aware though, we'll discuss the entire series, so expect there tobe spoilers.Skip the books-section if you don't want to know what happens.

What is the series about?
Daughter of Smoke & Bone is a YA fantasy trilogy, tackling angels and chimaeras. A young girl with a mysterious background is living in Prague, studying at an art school. No one really knows where
Beff
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Got the first book as a present and could not stop reading it. I bought the next two and thought it was good solid series. Lent them all to a friend who loved them too!
Jodie May
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great series!! Up there with the Mortal Instruments
Erica Beardsley
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved these books. The characters are incredibly unique, the storyline is twisty and different from anything that I've read in the recent past, and they pulled my emotions in many different ways. Laini Taylor knows how to write in an artful and a captivating way. The strings of teeth idea is legitimately the most creative thing I've read in a few years. When I was little, I had a game called mixed-up animals (my mother made it from a cereal box and pictures printed from the ...more
Chloe
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To those who haven't read this book yet, I strongly recommend that you go to your nearest book store and buy it or read it in ebook cuz this book definitely is the best among the romance supernatural genre combination out there... Karou and Akiva is our modern Romeo and Juliet, our another version of Katniss and Peeta (star-crossed lovers)... I am truly in love in the story, really BELIEVE ME!!!. An angel and a devil connected by a string of love BUT can never be together because of their ...more
B.E.L.
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a great fantasy read and the Daughter of Smoke & Bone Trilogy didn't let me down.

They are a brilliant read. Simply beautiful, a new dark fantasy epic. I really enjoyed them. I love storyline and how it twists and turns leaving me suprised. At times I was literally on the edge of my seat having to stay up reading just to find out what happens next. I could barely put them down. The story was just, WOW!
The author has a wonderful and very creative imagination and a knack for writing.
I
Michelle Gourley
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
#1 Ignore the cover art. Its offputting and has nothing at all to do with the storyline. Publisher fail.
#2 The rhythm of the storytelling/writing is outstanding, especially in the first two books. Her delivery and timing is just spot on. A joy to read.
#3 This series was this year's "Hunger Games" or "Divergent" for me- a YA series with a forward moving plot that prompted lots of non plot-related thinking about "bigger issues" like war, family, cultural identity, etc. Likable female protagonist.
Siobhan
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is impossible for me to pick my favourite series, yet if I was at gunpoint it is possible I would say this one. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautifully written pieces of all time. I could rant and rave for days about the writing alone, before I even got to telling you about how creative the storyline is and how wonderful the world building is and how enjoyable the storyline is… and, well everything.

Words cannot begin to explain the beauty of this series. The only way to understand
Barbara
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: listening
Meh. Maybe it is because I listened to it but I didn't love it as much as others do. The characters were engaging, the story interesting, but it just didn't grab me. Maybe I'm still trying to figure out what seraphim and chimera are and why they are at war. Was it explained and I missed it by listening instead of reading? I dunno.
Bianca Burgess
May 06, 2014 marked it as to-read
I loved the plot and I really grew to the characters. It took some thought to understand the main idea of the story, but when I did it was ingeniously written. Bravo Laini Taylor!
Ria
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely recommend this series. A bit long but worth the time getting to know these characters. Flawed and beautiful all the same.
kc delevigne
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to kc by: No one. It was fate
This is undeniably, the only thing that can truly express how I am processing everything after finishing this trilogy:

and..... and......

how sad and depressed I will be after reading this series

description

the journey I went through, the journey the characters went through *sigh*

description

I actually have started this series a long time ago, stopping at Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I have no idea why I did not continue but all I could say is that I am so glad I went back to reading this series. It's just so good! More
JJ
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the books, very intricate story-telling. Imaginative, haunting and compelling. I finished all three in about three weeks. I do feel like the main characters' doomed torture love angle was over played a bit. I didnt like some of the characters that seemed to be thrown in side chapters nor some of the story lines of those characters (ie: Karou's earth boyfriend (Kaz) - was he necessary?, Mik and Zuzana antics (I like them but a bit much) and the whole Stelian/Eliza/Fallen side plot line ...more
Mercer County Library System
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
Great! Beautiful! Dark! Enchanting! Haunting! Okay, this series has a lot. One of the most, if the the single most piece of original YA fantasy I have yet to gt my hands on.

Perfect for anyone looking for:
*dark fantasy
*mythology/ religious symbolism
*romance
*war stories
*action
*adventure
*tragedy
*redemption...omg I could go on, but you'd have a lot more fun just reading this ace of a series!

GoodReads Signature
Canary
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this trilogy so much. It’s so magical, filled with war, romance and family. I cried more times then I can count, but totally worth it.
While reading this series, I listened to My Indigo’s self titled album on loop and it really set the mood. Now whenever I hear any of those songs, I’m transported back to Akiva and Karou’s love story.
Kassandra
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is such a beautifully written trilogy and I wish there would be more books! Because it ended happily but it was a happy middle like it was stated in the book! I would love to see what would happen after certain events would happen! But it ends knowing everything will be fine! I loved all of the characters! They were great especially Zuzzana and Mik who were my favorite!!!
Jenny Jo Weir
Very complex, intricate series full of unique worlds and creatures. Incredibly creative and diverse. Only wish there would have been a little more focus on the Karou and Akiva instead of everything else, but that's just me.
Monica Waggoner
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating take on mythology and fantasy, with a decent dose of romance thrown in. I loved the characters, and the pacing held up all through the trilogy. I miss Karou and her friends now that it's over!
Debra Brownstein
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marathon reread. Maybe third or fourth time. And I am still finding new things to love and continue to marvel at Laini Taylor’s writing. And how cool is it that she connects the universe of DOSAB to her masterpiece duology of Strange The Dreamer.
Kranna
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book said is wonderful it's got science fiction it's got a little bit of romance everything you want
Jackie Sommers
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Masterful. Laini Taylor is a creative genius.
Haidde
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although the main character was a bit whiny at first, she got better towards the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lunar Chronicles Series Collection 4 Books Set
  • The Six of Crows Duology Boxed Set (The Six of Crows, #1-2)
  • The Lunar Chronicles  (The Lunar Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Mortal Instruments, the Complete Collection: City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass; City of Fallen Angels; City of Lost Souls; City of Heavenly Fire
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses Box Set (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1-3)
  • The Raven Cycle Series Maggie Stiefvater Collection 4 Books Set (Book 1-4) (The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily Lily Blue, The Raven King)
  • Legend Trilogy Boxed Set (Legend, #1-3)
  • Flower Fairies of the Autumn
  • Keepers of the Garden
  • The Grisha Trilogy (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Throne of Glass Series Collection (Throne of Glass #1-6)
  • Forgotten Places: Alistair
  • Buch der Engel (Angelussaga, #3)
  • Rückkehr der Engel (Angelussaga, #1)
  • Zorn der Engel (Angelussaga, #2)
  • Wünsch dir Was: Misaya (Chronik der Wünsche 2)
  • Mel - Wächterin der Dämonen
  • Wünsch Dir Was: Wahrhaftigkeit (Chronik der Wünsche 4)
Hi! I write fantasy books. My latest is STRANGE THE DREAMER, about a young librarian, a mythic lost city, and the half-human children of murdered gods. Check it out :-) Before that I wrote the DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. It's about a blue-haired art student raised by monsters, a broken angel, and a war that has raged for 1000 years in another ...more

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (3 books)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #3)