Start by marking “Yurei: The Japanese Ghost” as Want to Read:
Yurei: The Japanese Ghost

Yurei: The Japanese Ghost

"I lived in a haunted apartment." Zack Davisson opens this definitive work on Japan's ghosts, or yurei, with a personal tale about the spirit world. Eerie red marks on the apartment's ceiling kept Zack and his wife on edge. The landlord warned them not to open a door in the apartment that led to nowhere. "Our Japanese visitors had no problem putting a name to it . . . they ...more
Published August 25th 2015 by Chin Music Press Inc. (first published August 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Yurei, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yurei

Start your review of Yurei: The Japanese Ghost
Alexander Páez
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ensayo, nihon
Recomendadísimo.

Reseña completa.
Sam Truman
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a an excellent little book that gives a quick, but detailed overview of Yūrei and some other Japanese folklore. I especially loved the art. Several full color paintings add a lot of depth to the specific legends. Davisson also references tons of other books and collections of short stories which I'm hoping to eventually read as well. For a short book, I got a lot out of it.

If I have any criticism, it's that the author occasionally assumes that the reader knows more than they probably
Lucía
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. So. Much. It left me with a mountain of new info and a huge list of extra research to do >.> so many books to read, movies to watch, history books to tackle.

It’s extremely well-researched, it’s a serious book (some reviews fail to mention it) but written in a casual tone, friendly. What I appreciated the most: the author never treats the readers as if they were stupid, he never treats you like a child (oversimplified examples, language), opposed to what I’ve seen in other
Kylie
This tows the line between overly-scholarly and readable, and is clearly a product of much research and love. The design of the book is also beautiful, but sadly a small number of typographic errors mar the text which I found a bit distracting - most of these are simple typos or missing full stops, but the quote that opens chapter 12 appears to have been mixed up with the first paragraph. Unless the translation of a text from the 1700s happens to mention the film of said text?

Anyway, it's a
Emilia
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Este es un libro interesante que explica la relación entre los fantasmas y la cultura japonesa. Con esto pude entender algunas referencias de películas más actuales (como El Aro) y aprender más sobre el teatro kabuki y la influencia del budismo en la percepción de lo sobrenatural en Japón.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book that goes into the history of Japanese ghosts and how that history affected Japanese society from early times onward. The attention paid toward the dead, the rituals revolving around the dead and the Yasakuni shrine are all tied in together. Some of the points that I found particular interesting include:

The author discusses the types of obligation in Japan and notes that since a person gives birth to another then they are obligated to take care of them after their death. They
Fabulantes
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reportajes
Reseña: https://www.fabulantes.com/2019/05/yu...
"Davisson lo escribe de una manera amena y sencilla, con un estilo fácil y asequible, cercano a la síntesis del lenguaje del cómic. Ejerce de guía de un tour fantasmal, aunque su voz, siempre en off, nos remite a la del documental. Davisson es (...) impasible y seguro refiriendo sus enseñanzas con una erudición que nunca molesta. (...) Cada breve capítulo tiene casi la forma de un capítulo independiente, y todos, cuando se cosen, forman un
Nicole
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yurei: The Japanese Ghost was an insightful read for the history of a cultural cornerstone in Japan.

Going into Yurei I really had no expectations at to what Mr. Davisson would present so I was delightfully surprised to find all the history and facts in an easy to read and understand format. With the nice breakdown I was never confused about the different type of Yurei despite a vast array of different categories of Yurei.

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Davisson a couple years ago at a Japanese
Cathi
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beginning with a personal anecdote and leading into the history of the yūrei, this book takes the reader on a well informed journey of an often misunderstood part of Japanese culture from a western point of view. What is a yūrei? How do they differ from the term 'ghost' and, more importantly, how does their place even in modern literature, cinema, and media have such staying power? This book answers it all and opens up new avenues for the reader to explore, should they wish to know more. ...more
Lindsay
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, fast read that's well-written and researched. This one is worth reading on a Kindle Fire (or color monitor) to get the most out of the included art examples.
Melissa Bennight
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've lived in Japan for several years and know a bit about Japanese customs and culture, but this book opened up my eyes to the history and folklore that influenced much of Japanese culture as it exists today. I'm no stranger to Japanese folklore, and yet after reading this book I realized that my self education in Japanese myth and mythology had several large gaps. I was already familiar with Okiku, one of the three great ghosts of Japan, but the stories of Oiwa and Oyutsu had eluded me until ...more
Marcel Mazur
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Full of folk stories about ghosts and curses, delving into the cultural aspects and history of Japan as well. Unfortunately the flow of this book wasn't perfect for me and the contents sort of blended into one big mess. I'll probably sooner be returning to The Book of Yokai: Mysterious Creatures of Japanese Folklore than to this one.
khordofon
BOM DEMAIS

Uma das melhores "introduções" a esse assunto que eu podia querer, se não a melhor

Ensina muito sobre história, cultura, literatura, religião, espiritualidade, teatro, festivais e tudo que você puder querer saber sobre os yureis do Japão, inclusive com um anexo maravilhoso de vários kaidans.

Depois faço uma resenha melhor, mas acho que minha única crítica é o famoso "podia ter sido mais longo", mas o livro é bem denso...
Ian Winters
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Exceedingly palatable and written in such a manner as to easily convey the subject to an unfamiliar reader. Unfortunately marred with many spelling, punctuation, and typographical errors that distract from the text, and I found unendingly distracting. Still, a very enjoyable read and informative for those who are interested in the subject.
Kasia (Kącik z książką)
Dla osób zainteresowanych japońską kulturą jest to zdecydowanie książka z rodzaju tych, które trzeba przeczytać. Bardzo dobra pod względem merytorycznym, przystępnie napisana i co tu dużo kryć, fascynująca.

Cała opinia:
Jbondandrews
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book. The books I have read about the Yurei have been quite well written.
Josh
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book in general - if you are an enthusiast or a student of Japanese culture and want more information and insight into yurei. Many other people have already hit on what makes this book enjoyable and why you SHOULD read it if you are interested in the literary history and cultural relevance of the Japanese ghost. Other than a few minor quibbles, I really only had one issue with the book, mentioned below.

While reading Chapter 7 (Ghosts of Hate), I stumbled across an apparent
aljouharah altheeyb
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
في آخر فصل تطرق الكتاب لعرض مجموعه من القصص المشهورة " والمفضلة له" لليوري، تعليقي الوحيد كان ياعزتالي يالحريم، ماكولات مذمومات، انزعجت جداً من عادة أبطال القصص بهجز زوجاتهم للسفر أو التزوج من امرأة جديدة، صعبه يعني تاخذها معك ؟ ترسل لها فلوس؟ تعطيها شي تعيش من خلاله عبال ماتجي ؟

على كُل حال، من المعروف ان الحياة في اليابان كانت صعبة ومليئه بالأشياء الغير انسانية حتى وقت قريب ( أقلها انتشار الجثث في الطرقات وعدم دفنها لأن الميت أكثر من الحي أيام القبائل المتحاربة )

على كُل حال، الكتاب ممتع جداً،
DM
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan-diaspora
While future editions would benefit from more attentive editing, Yurei: The Japanese Ghost is an engaging overview of the yurei, and of its connection to other Japanese art forms. I was familiar with many (though not all) of the kaidan and cultural details. Davisson’s delight in the material, and his discussion of the interplay between kabuki, noh, visual art, film and folklore make the book a valuable contribution to my own explorations. Of particular interest are the beautiful color ...more
Marri
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I learned a ton from this book. I'm not sure if I would have preferred the stories first, context after, or if the way it is presented is best...

In any case, have your highlighter handy (or the highlighter function in your ereader!), because I certainly found lots of things I want to follow up on--books, movies, particular tales. The world of yurei is a dense thicket, but there author leads your through it clearly.
Tamara
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating book looking at the history of ghosts in Japan. Japan holds a different view of the dead and spirits than North America does. I found this book not only entertaining, but also incredibly interesting. The rich history and lore surrounding Yurei (an encompassing term for Japan ghosts) was a delight to read.
Drucilla
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: d
I think this book does what it sets out to do. The author tends to stray off topic, but he does include short yurei tales at the end of each chapter, which is nice. It would have been nicer had he also included more of the artwork he talks about, but he does include the most important one and hey, who knows, maybe the final version of the book includes them (I'm reading an ARC).
Meg
thickly literary and fascinating, less lurid than maybe I'd hoped. #bookclub4m #bookclubformasochists
Natalia

• The Book of Yokai: Mysterious Creatures of Japanese Folklore
  • The Colour Out of Space and others
  • Rzeczy, których nie wyrzuciłem
  • Shinsengumi: The Shogun's Last Samurai Corps
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 3 (The Girl from the Other Side, #3)
  • とつくにの少女 4 [Totsukuni no shōjo 4]
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 2 (The Girl from the Other Side, #2)
  • Downfall, Reiraku, 零落 #1
  • Ucho Igielne
  • Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenkō
  • The Manson Women and Me: Monsters, Morality, and Murder
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Omnibus 4
Zack Davisson is an award-winning translator, writer, and folklorist. He is the author of YUREI: THE JAPANESE GHOST, YOKAI STORIES, and KAIBYO: THE SUPERNATURAL CATS OF JAPAN, and the translator and curator of Shigeru Mizuki’s famous folklore comic KITARO, Matsumoto Leiji’s CAPTAIN HARLOCK, and Go Nagai’s DEVILMAN.

Davisson lectured on translation, manga, and folklore at Duke University, UCLA,