Start by marking “Little is Left to Tell” as Want to Read:
Little is Left to Tell

Little is Left to Tell

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Scarcely able to see well-enough to read, Mr Fin nevertheless indulges in old familiar novels, classics that he can recompose from a bit of text.
As his connection to the world fades, old Mr Fin finds a measure of delight in the vividness of memories that crop up, especially the stories he used to invent for his long-lost son, David.
From the half-remembered bedtime stories
Published October 7th 2014 by Starcherone Books (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Little is Left to Tell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little is Left to Tell

Grady
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'The moon lays prone across my lap'

Washington author Steven Hendricks is a very bright and strange light in this his debut novel LITTLE IS LEFT TO TELL. Not that this is his first venture with the written word: he earned his MFA in Writing at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and subsequently his works have appeared in The Denver Quarterly, Web Conjunctions, Fold: The Reader, The Encyclopedia Project (Vol. 2), Sidebrow, and at XCP (archived at PennSound, 2005). His day job is teaching w
Kelsye Nelson
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this book when you hunger for wonder, or if ever your very adult world seems a bit too dark and practical to suspend belief.

This book tells us many stories. I fell hard for Fin, a retired professor battling the twin losses of both his once organized and brilliant mind as well as the loss of his beloved son David. To cope, Fin retreats into stories once told, or perhaps simply dreamed, of rabbits and bears and flying trees and zeppelins called elephants that grind up entire cities in their m
Sara Strand
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'll be honest. This book was so damn strange for me that I quit it around page 226 out of 366. I really tried. The fact I got to this point is pretty amazing to myself because it was so bizarre and I feel like I don't have the education level to fully understand and appreciate the book. Here's what I can say: the writing itself is pretty great. The author has spent a lot of time piecing things together in ways that don't totally make sense, yet they do. Secondly, if you're capable and up for en ...more
Cindy Roesel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Steven Hendricks uses magical realism and the whimsical mood of fairy tales to his debut novel, LITTLE IS LEFT TO TELL (Starcherone). At the heart of the story is an old man named Mr Fin, who is suffering from dementia. I was immediately drawn into the narrative and I believe others will be too, since many of us have relatives who are suffering from either one or both of the horrific, incurable diseases of dementia and Alzheimer’s.

Fin daydreams in the park and putters around an old boat. His nei
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
3.5 stars.

This isn't a feel-good tale of redemption, but an exhausted retrospect of how the world eats away at you until there is nothing left to give, to tell the world.
Daniel Brount
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
With the appearance of talking rabbits and dropping bombs on the first page, Little is Left to Tell welcomes readers into a bewildering world of imaginative and lyrical storytelling. Steven Hendricks’ debut novel dives deep into the mind of Mr. Fin, a man with dementia, who deals with the memory of his son David by hiding in the world of the stories he told his child.

Mr. Fin’s dementia becomes clearer to the reader as he falls deeper and deeper into his stories, letting them envelop him mentall
Alexia561
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
To be honest, this was a tough read. While beautifully written, it felt disjointed and confusing to me and I struggled to finish.

The book starts off with the gentle tale of a rabbit family. Everything seems lovely...until the bombs drop. As the bunnies deal with the aftermath, Mr. Fin makes a sudden appearance in his garage, tinkering with his boat.

Huh?

What happened to the rabbits? Who is Mr. Fin? The sudden switch between stories and characters left me scratching my head and it took me a moment
Becky
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
So yes, many of the characters in Hendricks's debut are animals. And at least a few of those animals are named after famous literary figures. Their stories, too, take inspiration from their namesakes. And yet, I'm not familiar enough with those figures to catch all of the references. Instead, it was the author's acknowledgements that lit that lightbulb for me.

I'd thought this was a book that I would quite love but perhaps the above mentioned lack of literary clout in my past reading was in part
Laura Reading
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I will be honest. This book will not appeal to everyone. That is a compliment.
I read an e-version but also enjoyed the audio sample and will listen to the whole book in the future. Do NOT listen while driving.
This is not a children's fantasy.

Beginning as lyrically peaceful as a Beatrix Potter fairytale, until the bombs drop. (on page two)
It is a story of grief on multiple levels. A mother rabbit's loss, a father's repeated losses, of his son and his memories. Told in alternating time periods and
Alec Clayton
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a well written surrealistic, stream-of-consciousness, fantasmgorical adult Watership Down.
Gelina Buslig
Sep 02, 2015
Dan Jackman
Feb 06, 2017
Steven Hendricks
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shieka Kiman
  • The People Who Watched Her Pass By
  • Slag Attack
  • Somewhere Else, or Even Here
  • We, the Children of Cats
  • Asymmetry (Twelve Planets book 8)
  • Portable Childhoods

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • The Moonlight Palace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand