Start by marking “Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #12)” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #12)

Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good

(Mitford Years #12)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  11,119 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews
After five hectic years of retirement from Lord’s Chapel, Father Tim Kavanagh returns with his wife, Cynthia, from a so-called pleasure trip to the land of his Irish ancestors. While glad to be at home in Mitford, something is definitely missing: a pulpit. But when he’s offered one, he decides he doesn’t want it. Maybe he’s lost his passion.

His adopted son, Dooley, wrestle
Published September 2nd 2014 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, please sign up.
Susan B I read a Jan Karon interview yesterday. She hints that in her next writing, she'll pick up on the next generation of Mitford characters, Dooley, Lace,…moreI read a Jan Karon interview yesterday. She hints that in her next writing, she'll pick up on the next generation of Mitford characters, Dooley, Lace, Sammy, etc. Hurray!(less)
Marilyn Didn't you always want to find out what happened to Dooley and Lace?

·  11,119 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews

Nancy
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Back Home in Mitford

After a trip to Ireland, Father Tim and Cynthia are home in Mitford. The emotional experiences in Ireland, have left Father Tim feeling down. He still hasn't completely accepted retirement and acceptance is made more difficult because his doctor is retiring. Instead of staying Mitford, Hoppy is going off to do missionary work in the Sudan. Father Tim doesn't have long to be a curmudgeon. Soon he's involved in all the large and small crises in Mitford.

The book is filled with t
Phrynne
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This has been such a beautiful series and it has been oh so easy to get attached to all the delightful characters of which there are many! All of Jan Karon's books read like diaries of the day to day lives of Father Tim and the residents of Mitford. This one is an absolute gem but sadly the way it ends seems to indicate it may be the last one. I really hope it is not.
Beth
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Karon hit it out of the ball park once again.
Cindy Rollins
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Let me clarify. I wasn't all that fired up to return to Mitford. I liked Mitford well enough but I was afraid it would be a lesser Mitford. But here I am giving it 5 stars and for purely emotional reasons. Number 1 the title is worth 5 stars. Number 2 it is the first book I have finished in my new home, a home which feels like Somewhere Safe. I sat on my deck overlooking the woods, with hummingbirds buzzing in my ear,a gentle breeze blowing across the bluest sky, reading this book in a home that ...more
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I have found that the Mitford books serve as respite from the anxious state of the world for me. It's hard to read one and not finish with a renewed sense of hope and appreciation for the kindness of people.

This one offers that sense of possibility and hope. It's not as well written as the first ones in the series. A few story lines were started and then dropped.....I had the sense that Karon had so many storylines to pursue that she lost track of some of them (a good editor would have caught th
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
It has been three long years of waiting and wondering about what Father Tim and the other residents of Mitford have been up to. But the suspense is finally over. With the publication of Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good we finally have our passport into the lovely town that we would all like to call home.

I was reading the book a few days ago while I was in a waiting room. The person next to me made a comment about the thickness of the book and asked what it was about. After taking a second to ga
Dorothy
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For those who loved the first nine novels in the Mitford series this novel is a jewel. For those who have never read Jan Karon's Mitford series, there is no reason not to start here. When I received this book to read and review, I was surprised to see that it has over 500 pages--much longer than any of the other books. What could the author have to say in such length? Plenty. There is not a slow or unnecessary passage here, even the parts that review the story's past. All the characters and thei ...more
Anne
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A pleasant read and nice to get caught up with the Mitford characters but just no dramatic tension, at least for this reader. It seemed somewhat lackluster no matter how pleasant.
Linda
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Linda by: Shelf Awareness
Shelves: chcpl, hardback, fiction
I have read everyone of the Mitford books and the subsequent 2 Father Tim novels. It has been awhile since I "was" in Mitford and although I felt as if I was back home visiting friends although my addled brain had trouble remembering names and connections of secondary characters.
Karon's writing style does not help this old gal. Her chapters are divided into bite-sized sections, but we often enter a new section without clear (to me) indication of who exactly is talking or conducting business.
Karo
Carol Lamendola
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've read all the previous books and enjoyed them. I found this one to be a bit long and confusing trying to tie all the earlier characters into this book. I do enjoy the Father Tim character, he's a good man.
Katherine
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm so excited. I'm going home to Mitford!
Andrea Larson
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gentle-fiction
This may be one of my favorite book titles ever. After all, isn’t it what we all wish for? And if you’re a Father Tim fan, you’ll know that he has, in fact, gotten this wish. He’s finally back in Mitford, the idyllic North Carolina mountain town that is the scene of the first nine books in the series, with his lovely wife Cynthia and the eccentric cast of characters we’ve come to know so well. But although he’s back at home, Father Tim’s life is not the same. He’s no longer the rector of Lord’s ...more
Nadine Keels
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An unprecedented act on my part: I jumped right in, deep into a series, without having yet read any of the series' earlier books, which I'm aware are meant to be read in sequential order. Additionally, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good is the first book whatsoever that I've read by Jan Karon. Perhaps this act of mine is somewhat of a violation against the International Bookworm's Unofficial Code or something, but, really, how could I pass up a novel with such a title when it came across my path? ...more
Sarah Grace Grzy
This book was exceptional! I have read it three times now, and it only gets better each time I read it. It is definitely one of my favorite books, which is saying a lot, as I have read so many books and it is so hard to pick a favorite. I have read the whole Mitford series, and they are all just amazing. The characters feel so homelike, and it is incredibly well written. The storyline with Sammy is amazing and heart-wrenching (in a good way), as is the storyline with Hope and Scott Murphy. Defin ...more
Tina Frawley
Oct 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Horrendously boring and a tedious read. Struggled through it and eventually gave up. Yaaaaawn!
Dale Harcombe
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though I have read all the Mitford series, it’s been quite a while since I read the last one. Initially this novel with its cast of characters felt rather busy and it took me a little while to click back into who everyone was. Once I did, it was being back with family. I loved spending time with Tim and Cynthia Kavanagh and the town of Mitford every chance I got.
Now returned from Ireland and back in Mitford, Timothy Kavanagh is not exactly dealing well with retirement. But then, in the way of l
Nancy
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Father Tim series by Jan Karon is lovely - start at the beginning because you want to get to know the characters. They become part of your extended family. The first time I listened to a Father Tim novel, I thought it might be too sweet, too religious, too smarmy - boy was I wrong. The books are delightful and this one is the icing on the cake. Karon does a wonderful job of reminding you of things that have happened in the past - where you say to yourself, oh yeah I remember that, without re ...more
Donna Gabbard
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was so glad to get back to Mitford. Jan Karon's Mitford books are such a welcoming read! I read this as part of Penguin Books First to Read program so it was an advance copy.

When old friends meet again after being apart, they seem to be able to pick up a conversation as if no time at all has elapsed. Such is true with Karon's book, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good. All the "old" characters are back along with a few new ones. Mitford fans will definitely not be disappointed in this book.

As a
Susan Johnson
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't quite know why I like this series so much but it just warms my heart to read the newest installment in the Mitford series. Father Tim and Cynthia are back from Ireland and he is still having trouble adjusting to retirement. Be careful what you wish for because quite soon Father's Tim's plate is overflowing. This is just a sweet series that makes me feel great.
Megan Edwards
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It doesn't get better than the Mitford series. Seriously, it's my absolute favorite. Several hundred pages of Father Tim is never enough. I'm always left wanting more! Thanks to Jan Karon for creating a world that I never want to leave.
Sara
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Apparently this is part of a series with loyal followers. I will not be among them. I found this book corny, slow and heavy handed religiously.
Sue
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gentle-fiction
I was lucky to have an Advanced Copy to reacquaint myself with all the Mitford friends I've grown to love over the years. Karon doesn't disappoint with the further adventures of Father Tim and Mitford's best. Father Tim may not have a pulpit to occupy but the challenges and troubles of the small North Carolina town always seem to find him anyway. Loved it. In order to fully appreciate the charactors in this book be sure to read the entire series. You will not regret the time and most likely will ...more
Vickie Kelley
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Ready for this new book to be out!
Sharon Huether
Father Tim retired from the priesthood; it's been five years. He was happy to be home in Mitford.
He was asked to return to the pulpit,He just couldn't. He loved the freedom of retirement .
He was still a spiritual adviser to all in Mitford and always there to lend a helping hand.

A few days a week he volunteered at the book story. He helped with the decorating for Christmas.

A leader in the community, he was looked up to. He was the energy to get things done around town.

A wonderful story.
Carol Bakker
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I told myself I’d go slow. No big gulps. Savor the words. Take my time. Reflect. Enjoy.

And I did…the first 36 hours. But last night I had three hours open and three hours left of reading. Turn the light off at 10:00? C’est impossible!

Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good is the best book Jan Karon has written. Like a master chef with discerning taste, Karon has adjusted the flavor of her writing so it is not too sweet, not too bitter, not too peppery, not too bright; but the perfect combination of s
Leah
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-adult
This is book 10 in the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I count this series among my all time favorites. Each book finds me laughing, crying, and having my faith strengthened a little more.

The story follows Tim Kavanagh as he shepherds his small parish in North Carolina. He also enjoys gardening and reading books so that adds to the appeal for me as those are hobbies that I share. There is plenty of small town southern charm in this series. Love, mystery, and quirky characters abound.

One of my fav
Teri-K
I have a friend who has never read any of this series, and she started with this book. She said it was tough at first, as there were a lot of people to figure out. Do yourself a favor, don't start here. (In fact, you can skip this one all together.) It's been a while since I read the later books in this series and I had a little trouble keeping everyone straight myself.

Ultimately I ended up skimming through this. It failed for me for two reasons. First, the long book lacked focus. It felt like
Melonie Kydd

I loved this book - it was the first book I read in the series and I found it so delightful and enjoyable to read. I found myself rereading it when I just needed an escape from reality and the rush of life.

The characters and their lives were so relate-able and this made them feel so real that I could close my eyes and actually let my imagination picture life in Milford.

I look forward to reading more of the series - I have added this author as one of my to follow and read more of lists as t
Carrie Pagels
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
LOVED this book!!!! I took my time savoring it!!! Listened to this on audible.com download. Just finished it and I want to listen to it again, maybe this coming Christmas. What a long wait. The narrator IS Father Time, so I am so grateful this gentleman actor narrated again. Jan Karon is an amazing author. I love her stuff and have listened and re-listened to her books so many times, before I began writing Christian fiction myself that I think I can recite some from memory. Not really, but I sup ...more
Renee
I love how Jan Karon, through humble Father Tim, finds beauty in the ordinary lives around us---the beauty that oblivious folks like me tend to overlook as we blunder through our days. Even as JK touches on people's sins & flaws, she celebrates the souls made in God's image. I could use more of Father Tim's way of looking at things, especially his belief that any of us can be the "somebody good" who makes our little corner of the world "somewhere safe" for an anchor-less soul. Beautiful stor ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good by Jan Karon 1 14 May 22, 2015 03:08AM
Reading our way t...: Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good, Jan Karon 1 6 Feb 03, 2015 04:21PM
Mitford Series!!! 4 74 Oct 27, 2014 04:47PM

• Almost Friends (Harmony, #6)
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Miss Julia to the Rescue (Miss Julia #13)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Slow Down, You're Wearing Us Out! (Dearest Dorothy, #2)
  • Unexpected Dismounts (The Reluctant Prophet, #2)
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)
  • Sarah's Promise (Country Road Chronicles, #4)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Home to Holly Springs (Mitford Years, #10)
“I worried too much about what others thought—I can tell you it’s a tragic waste of time and energy and pokes God in the eye.” 14 likes
“I can't say I have any confidence in confidence. I have confidence that God is with us in all things, both tender and tough.” 14 likes