Start by marking “Countablock” as Want to Read:
Countablock

Countablock

Following on the heels of a successful abecedary, Countablock features thick pages cut into the shape of each numeral, creating a peek-through guessing game around the number form itself. One acorn becomes . . . one oak tree! From snowmen to puddles and eggs to chicks, quantities are illustrated twice: both before and after their “transformations.” As children interact wit ...more
Board Book, 94 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Countablock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Countablock

Tricia
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I LOVE THIS BOOK. Parent to Parent- FIND IT, BUY IT, ENJOY IT!
Ever feel frustrated that your toddler is obsessed with numbers, only to discover that every book designed for toddlers caps out at the number 10? Well I was! Henry could count to 30 at age 2 and I wish I had found this book a year ago when I was frustrated and trying to toggle the line between preschooler and elementary aged concept books for numbers.
It is small, perfect for toddler hands; has number cut-outs, which are fun to play
Jocelin
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love the feel of the chunky board books of the "block" series.
Lin
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Should be ZIPPER, NOT Zoom. Other than that, it's a perfect book. Minus one star for blowing it on the very last page.
Vivian
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
If this had not been included on a summer reading list created by the American Library Services for Children council I would never have ordered it. It is an awkward size for a board book -- fully two inches thick and comprised of 48 pages. It will not hold up as a library book. I predict a dozen or less circulations, and the book is on the pricey side for board books -- $16.95.

However, the illustrations and concepts are delightfully rendered. I wouldn't mind owning a copy, but probably will not
This book has been so great for teaching my 3 year old to count. As a baby, she loved the pictures. The themes of things "becoming" other things on the next page is cool. I'm not sure why they decided to do a rainbow on the page for the number 7 considering there are 6 colors, though. The last page with the fold-out picture of a puzzle containing pictures from all the previous pages really cool. Only thing that could make it better is actually listing numbers 1-100 at the end. But I highly recom ...more
Bethel
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this to two 2-year-olds and they loved it. Their favorite pages are the caterpillars to butterflies and cookie dough to cookies and my favorites were the snowmen (that turn into puddles) & boxes (that turn into forts) because both are just so clever. I would definitely buy this book!
Cara Byrne
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the most physically interesting board books I've ever seen that is still durable enough to survive a baby's eating/ripping habits. In introducing a baby to 1 -100 as well as cause and effect ("four babies become ... four children!" and "thirty baskets of cucumbers become... thirty jars of pickles" and "Forty eggs become ... thirty-nine chicks and one dinosaur!"), the book serves both as a basic number learning text, as well as an entertaining read. The cut out numbers do ...more
alana
I loved this chunky, little book! Yes, it's a counting book, but it also focuses on becoming/transforming. So one page presents how XX number of cucumbers becomes...*turn the page* XX number of pickles. Or seeds to flowers, tadpoles to frogs, balls of cookie dough to cookies, sheets of paper to paper airplanes, etc. Super cute! The right pages are cut to the right side shape of each number introduced. The book goes 1-10, then has a double page spread counting from 15 to 19 "and then" *turn the p ...more
Dina
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clever counting book with cut-out numbers previewing what comes next. For example, 40 eggs on one spread become 39 chicks and 1 dinosaur(!) on the next. The fun continues up to 100. Each single numeral gets the special cutout 2 page-spread treatment. After the tens numbers, there is a page between one and the next, showing each numeral in between--such as 10 on 2 page-spreads, followed by 11 . . . 19 on the next, then onto 20. A great way to help kids learn to count to 100--and to clearly learn ...more
Samantha
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Numbers 1-100 are covered in this board book. Spreads are presented in a pattern in which an object is shown and then a result follows (i.e. 1 acorn becomes...one oak tree).

I wasn't sure at first about skipping through some numbers for the purpose of including 1-100 into a board book, but it grew on me and the vibrant artwork had a lot to do with it!

Great gift book, especially as a set with its companion title Alphablock. Recommended for toddlers and preschoolers.
jacky
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the alphabet version of this book and did not find it exceptional. However, this number version is making me think I need to check it out again. I really liked how this book went from 1-100, but without getting too boring by doing every number as a spread. I really loved the concept of what something turning into something else. Lots of fun objects and concepts for the pictures as well as opportunities to count and see number correspondence.
Barbara
This very cool counting book covers numbers 1 to 10 and then jumps to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80. 90, and finally, 100. The edges of the pages are cut to follow the form of the numbers, and then the two objects change as readers turn the pages. For instance, the two snowmen associated with the number 2 melt and become two puddles and ten buckets of sand are used to form ten sand castles. This is a colorful, lively, engaging book sure to prompt interaction.
Tasha
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The author of Alphablock returns with a counting book this time. With thick board pages that are die cut into the shapes of the numbers, the book gives each number two pages where first you are given a number of objects and then what those objects become. So three boxes become three forts and eight bananas become eight banana peels with the help of some monkeys. After number ten, the book starts to count by tens and eventually reaches 100.
Elizabeth S
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like a book that counts up to 100 WITHOUT skipping any numbers! None of this switch-to-counting-by-10s business. Well done! Not to mention that this isn't snoring counting book to begin with. We learn that one acorn becomes one oak tree, that 50 tadpoles become 50 frogs, that 90 kernels of corn become 90 pieces of popcorn. And the pages are quite sturdy. Overall, a win-win-win!
Carrie Gelson
This book is literally a block. A chunk of interesting pages in a sort of board book format but think super size. Count up to 100. Throw in a little cause and effect (Three boxes become. . . (turn the page) three forts) Lots of counting. Bright colours. And a surprise at the end. So much fun!
Darlene
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-123
What a spectacular counting book. Great illustrations! There are lift the flaps that allow children to guess what the particular item becomes . (6 balls of yarn becomes....). It gets the young reader thinking and recognizing numbers in a fun way.
Amy
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Clever counting book that takes kids all the way up to 100 with cool art. Starting with "One acorn becomes...one oak tree", it illustrates things evolving into other versions of themselves page by page.
Pat Fromm
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a super fun--and cute--way to learn counting. It has a few surprises in its formula to keep readers entertained, and its little previews of the pages ahead encourage active participation from its audience.
Vicki
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing counting/number books that children will thoroughly enjoy.

Very clever layout, while I understand the sturdy board book format, this book will appeal to older readers who may not necessarily give this book a look because of it's format.
Mary Luzader
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME! Counts all the way to 100 without skipping a beat, or a number. Most books count 1-10 then count by 10s. This book does that to an extent with the format, but it does, in fact, include every number 1 through 100.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cool counting book that is a great complement to Franceschelli's Alphablock.
Sylvester
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
3* art
4* concept

Squirt likes to count everything these days, and this is a fun book for teaching numbers.
Kimberly
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This big block board book is such a great counting book. I like that it went all the way to 100 and how it broke down the 20's through 100 the way it did. Cute illustrations.
Kelly Beery
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ-567
Start by counting by ones, once get to ten count 10 - 100 by tens, numbers, shapes, good for preschool/age five
Patty
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Bright colors, funny, energetic and eye catching illustrations, a bit of the old lift-the-flap, and even a little STEM. Counting to 100 has never been more fun!
Claire
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. A book to have and treasure for young families.
Meagan
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, silas
This book is extremely creative and fun for little kids. I only wish that the shapes included followed a theme rather than being a random collection of objects.
Janise Long
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Surprised me when I borrowed this from the library for my 19mo and my 4yo read the 100 numbers on his own! Most engaging numbers book yet.
Ama
Goes from 1 to 100! This is hard to find in a book for preschoolers (most only go 1-10). Cute book with cut out numbers.

• Duck & Goose, 1, 2, 3
  • One Is a Snail, Ten Is a Crab: A Counting by Feet Book
  • 1 2 3: A Child's First Counting Book
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Trains Go