Start by marking “Sing No Evil” as Want to Read:
Sing No Evil

Sing No Evil

Twenty-something guitarist Aksel stutters when he sings, and the latest reviews say he has the voice of a crow with throat plague. That’s not a compliment, even for the avant-garde music his band Perkeros plays. Aksel is having a hard time keeping the band together, stopping his girlfriend from kicking him out, and not getting eaten by his drummer (who happens to be a cran ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sing No Evil, please sign up.
Dominik Absolutely.

Absolutely.

There is no reason why a young teen wouldn't enjoy this. It's a story of coming of age (albeit a bit later than the usual teen fanfare) and how following your heart can bring fulfillment, even if it's not the easiest way to go.

There are some cursewords, though, but nothing your teen hasn't heard a million times before. And there's a bit of a physical fight in the end, but it's never overly gory or gratuitous.(less)

Anna
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to have this (not necessarily good) habit of devouring Ahonen's books in one go, or at least as close to one go that is possible at that moment. Which means I miss out on quite a lot of little details and maybe some bigger ones, too.

And yet I really like his work. The very first few pages made me chuckle aloud, because come on, who of us old metalheads has not seen black metal bands just like the ones depicted in this? Seriously? And I liked the Kalevala vibes in some parts of it, too.

I
Yahaira
Very hard to rate. So, it isn't the first time I've seen this type of fantastical edge in a book or in my particular case, TV series (that I won't mention save you become spoiled), but it doesn't make it any less cool. The problem is that it didn't nearly make up enough of the novel, I would have liked to see way way more, instead valuable space is dedicated to Aksel's "real life struggles". If the focus would have been on the supernatural quality of the novel from the start, it would have been ...more
Jukka Särkijärvi
Perkeros is J.P. Ahonen’s first graphic novel. After working for a decade on the excellent comic strip Northern Overexposure and the more recent Grapevine, he finally took the plunge and along with K.P. Alare, wrote and illustrated a full-length graphic novel.

Perkeros tells the story of an avant-garde heavy metal band in Tampere, focusing on its young guitarist Akseli. The other members of the band are the keyboardist Lilja, the bassist Kervinen and the drummer Bear. No, really, he’s a bear. The
Warren-Newport Public Library
I'm not sure if something got lost in the translation but the story felt a little flat to me and also oddly paced. The supernatural elements weren't introduced until very late in the story so it felt like there were almost two different stories.

The art was good but some of the characters had similar facial features making it hard to differentiate. But the full page panel when the band is playing, really spectacular.
Would recommend to music fans and fans of Derek Kirk Kim. (Amanda)
Fredrik Strömberg
An incredibly impressive debut graphic novel from Finland, with music, love and relationships and some added fantasy/horror elements, in a mix that strangely works really, really well.

Story/content:
This is the story of a band in Finland trying hard to break out, following mostly the main guitarist and his endeavours to "keep it real" and at the same time keep up with the relationship with his girlfriend. At least that's what it starts out like, and then it slowly gets more surreal, as in the dr
Bambi Hyde
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This story had so much potential. The idea was there but the execution was so so. I loved the last part of the book but there was no world building or anything to set up what happened. There kinda was but not enough to make the ending, which is awesome, not seem like it's out of no where. The pacing was horrible, whole bunch of nothing then a lot of really good story. Also I'm so sick of the nagging-doesn't-get-it girlfriend. She was completely unnecessary to the story. The best thing was the co ...more
SA
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
So, first off, the art in this was gorgeous. I love the emphasis on curves in the linework, and the layering involved in the coloring -- it was probably arduous, but the pages were luscious as a result.

I was sceptical that this was going to be yet another iteration of White Boy Problems, and--it was. The two female characters are both highlighted in relation to the white boy protagonist, Askel, and both are framed within a romantic interest context--though it's not a get-the-girl book, which wa
Gabrielle  (Wishes she had more time to read)
God. This was so good.

review to come
Aurora Dimitre
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: november-2014
Two things really, really stood out to me in this graphic novel - the art (my God the art) and the characters.

I'll start with the art, because it was just gorgeous . Full-color, with sometimes full-page spreads, and so much... just so much greatness. I really loved the art. Like, more than anything ever in the entire world, I am in love with the art in this graphic novel.

Then, the characters, and after this we'll head into plot and everything. I really thought the characters were seriously
Matt Graupman
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Browsing through the graphic novels section of my local bookstore the other day, I stumbled upon "Sing No Evil," knowing nothing about the story or the creators. I bought it based on the fact that it's about an aspiring progressive-metal band and I thought the artwork was pretty incredible. I'm glad I did because it's a pretty terrific comic.

"Sing No Evil" is full of interesting characters, musical passion, and just a hint of supernatural weirdness; it's a little bit like the "Scott Pilgrim" ser
Kit
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Popsugar: A book by an author from a country I have never visited

Worth every mile of the 100 miles to and 100 miles from Portland I drove to get my hands on it.

A new and much more refreshing take on the "I'm an amiable white slacker with ~*~BIG DREAMS~*~ genre, Perkeros, or Sing No Evil talks about the complications that come from chasing a dream: how it effects your love life, your sense of expectation, how you treat your friends/the people supporting and also working toward you dream, and the
Shannon
Amanda
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, gettin-graphic
Would recommend to music fans and fans of Derek Kirk Kim
Maija
An unevenly paced graphic novel with good art. Annoying main character (at least this is done on purpose, I think) and stock unsupportive, complaining girlfriend cliche. The balance between supernatural and natural elements is a bit off. Great spreads focusing on the band playing! The story tied together better on second readthrough. 2.5 stars
Ari
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
WHAT was THAT?! Ok, the art is super-nifty, but WHY did I ever finish it? Blech. Cool art doesn't make up for a story and events that are yucky (swearing, casual sex, violence, possession, etc.).

There's 45 minutes I will never get back.
Honya
Sing No Evil was quite a unique find, and I’m glad to have read it. For one thing, I think it’s the first actual Finnish book I’ve read–I don’t know whether there just aren’t many released in English or if I’m just blind, but I almost never see books by Finnish authors here in the U.S. So that was neat. Plus, this is an extremely dynamic and engaging graphic novel, although I’m rather baffled as to how to classify it. Imagine if Kazu Kibuishi took over the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel–you might e ...more
Stefan
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never have I read a graphic novel penned and drawn by a Finnish pair of artists. Hell, I've never read or experienced anything be it graphic novel, comic or novel by any Finn. I picked this up from the bookstore partly because I liked the cover art and partly because I saw it as an opportunity to go a bit past the omnipresent American/British influences which permeate my comics shelf (be it V for Vendetta, Sandman, Watchmen or even Black Hole or ZOT!, they're all pertaining to the aforementioned ...more
Kyleigh
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
**Spoiler-free**

I picked this up the shelf, thumbed through to see if there was an art style I'd like, and I dug in. Unfortunately, the art style was about the only thing I really liked. The main character turned out to be a huge dick. I get that it was probably an attempt to humanize him, but he ends up in a struggling relationship with his long-term girlfriend, and is so obsessed with his music that he completely ignores her and the red flags that their relationship is withering. I was actual
Mollie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A pretty conflicting read! Another I picked up for the art, and especially the colors-- this book is super gorgeous, full stop. I love the style and the inking, and the general flow of the panels, it's honestly all really lovely, but the writing is... less so. I don't think the writing is bad, though? Some of the dialogue and scenes are really nicely laid out, but the overall flow of the book is off, sometimes distractingly so.

To expand, the first act was not grabbing me much at all, very dry st
Samantha
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, graphic-novel
I had to read this for work, I work in a library. I rarely read graphic novels anyway so it was kind of doomed to begin with. It was too dark for me and I was annoyed that it was labeled scifi/fantasy because there were like 3 pages of it that I would consider such. Otherwise it was just a graphic novel about a whiny wannabe rock star who I wanted to smack most of the time. This book's saving graces, aka the reason it didn't get 1 star, is that it was set in Finland which was new, the illustrati ...more
Adriana
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot is both an everyday story and completely nuts. The trials of a musician and his band take center stage, but we get some bizarre happenings and some funky fantasy elements thrown into the mix. They actually end up working rather well together.
What really makes this worth the read is the gorgeous art for performances. The artist managed to turn the experience of listening to a live band into some kick@$$ panels. The use of color is also a definite plus.
I definitely recommend it if you're
Ronald
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A comic about Rock'n'Roll and magic / mystical events, what could go wrong? A lot apparently. The "main" character is unlikeable and unsympathetic. All the secondary characters appear to be more interesting than the lead. The story wanders and is unfocused. Maybe something was lost in translation?

Disappointed considering all the good reviews.
Katie Kirkland
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art should be rated 5 stars for me. It's really colorful when it needs to be and the character designs are pretty nice.
The writing, however, is a little weird and stilted, but I'm not sure if it's just the translation. The premise itself is pretty rad. I want more exploration into this. I want more of the characters messing with the magic.
My inner metal head is like *fdsidhoidfih*
Lena
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This story was decent, but it was kind of confusing and left a LOT of loose ends and unexplained events/characters/etc.
I think it had a good premise, but it might have been better served by a regular novel where more could be explained in greater depth.
Hannamari
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the artwork, the funny depiction of the Finnish metal scene, and the Kalevala wibes. The finale took on a quick turn that could have benefitted from a bit more build-up (and a bit less over the top evil violence if you ask me...), but with that being said, I really enjoyed the story too.
Matthew Archibald
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the premise of this, and the artwork was pretty good (though a bit dark for my taste). Unfortunately, I was a bit confused at times, and I felt like either things weren't explained well, or my brain was not fully operational.
Fiona Watson
Scott Pilgrim on acid. I didn’t really enjoy this but it was really well executed so it has my respect.
Danica Midlil
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
PinkiePieBOOKS:)
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a weird lil graphic novel but I did enjoy it:)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vihan ja inhon internet
  • Paha kirja
  • Jag är din flickvän nu
  • Kauheimmat runot
  • Jaybird
  • Sinun jälkeesi, Max
  • Lapsenpiika (Syrjästäkatsojan tarinoita #2)
  • Jäljellä
  • Linnunaivot
  • The Uprising (Under the North Star, #2)
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Äitikortti: kirjoituksia lisääntymisestä
  • Love in vain : Robert Johnson 1911-1938
  • Vihan ja katkeruuden esseet
  • Head Lopper, Vol. 2: Head Lopper and the Crimson Tower
  • Mortebouse (Lou!, #2)
  • Maria & José
JP lives in Tampere, Finland, where he writes and draws comics. He enjoys cooking, making music and getting tattooed but dislikes writing biographies in third person.