Start by marking “Full Speed Ahead!: How Fast Things Go” as Want to Read:
Full Speed Ahead!: How Fast Things Go

Full Speed Ahead!: How Fast Things Go

Did you know that a tornado travels faster than a race car? Or that a human and spider travel at the same speed? Full Speed Ahead! is the first picture book to directly compare the speeds of animals, modes of transport, and forces of nature in a clear and visually striking album format. Objects are grouped from slowest to fastest, with objects of the same speed on one spre ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Full Speed Ahead!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Speed Ahead!

paula
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
It is time for me to come clean about something. Much as *I* appreciate this neo-silkscreen technique, used by artists like Blexbolex and Cruschiform and others, I think it is out of place in a children's book.

Partly because the color use is unrealistic and the gradients between colors are in some cases intentionally ugly, but mostly because the best way to depict animals and people using this technique, which is heavily dependent on shape and not line - is in profile. Facial expressions are mi
Allie
A fun, beautifully illustrated book about comparative speeds. It's not really a picture book, but would be good for conceptual math skills. I loooove the graphic silk-screen print style.

Side note: I love how many (often European) illustrators/graphic novelists go by a single name. Hergé, Jason, Hubert, Kerascoët, Seth, Blexbolex, Gipi, etc. It's fun.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Did you know that a peregrine falcon flies at 217 mph? As fast as a race car??

This picturebook offers interesting facts in a bright, but limited color palette. The journey begins with a sea horse and tortoise moving at .3 KMP and ends with a shooting star at over 100,000 KPH. The back matter is filled with information on the relationship between time and space and facet on all the illustration throughout the book.

The illustrations are done in yellow, orange black and white set on a dark blue b
Suzanne Koziol
The first thing I want to point out is the color scheme of this book. it's not exactly typical but still works together well and catches the eye. The book reminded me of the books that categories objects in certain colors or sizes. This book would be perfect for young children who love things that move. Which is not typically covered in book like this. Definitely would recommend to people with young children.
Kiara
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: info-bios
This is a very short book that provides factual information regarding the speed of various different objects. While it is factual, I do not believe it will be a great read for fluent readers. This will be an appropriate text for beginner readers. The visuals are very detailed, but it lacks sufficient text. I envision this book being best for guided reading time and used as a way to combine disciplines, specifically Science and Reading. Furthermore, with the brevity of text, this book will not be ...more
Omar Aly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Somethings are amazing in speed.
Kim
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved these illustrations and the juxtaposition of people, animals, and man-made things that go the same speed. The selection of objects was unusual, unexpected, and historical! The glossary at the back is fantastic, it has small illustrations and long descriptions. That allows readers to look into something that grabbed their attention (introduction to research/information literacy?). I also enjoyed that since this is a French import, the speeds are written larger in KM/H with MPH smaller bel ...more
Amy
Jan 29, 2015 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Starting with .2 MPH, lists the various animals/objects that move at certain speeds. You might be surprised to learn that a spider, an excavator, and a person walking all move at approximately the same speed (2 MPH), or that a peregrine falcon can move faster than a cheetah (217 MPH vs. 68 MPH). A quick read with bold, brightly-colored graphics that will appeal to kids who love things that go.
Jennie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book from the library thinking it was for adults. That didn't matter to me when it arrived, I was blown away but the colourful pictures and glossary in the back.

Cool retro look and great information.

Worth a look!
mg
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Fascinating way to learn about speed and the relationship of speed between animals, modes of transportation, etc. Bold, eye-catching pictures that are sure to grab the attention of readers no matter the age.
Matt Craft
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and interesting. Love it!
Amy-Lynn
Cool picture book about how fast things move, beginning with 0.3 km/h or 0.2m/h and ending with the speed of a shooting star. Contains glossary.
Kelly
Originally published in French in 2013 under the title A Toute Vitesse! by Gallimard Jeunesse / Giboulees. Published in English in 2014 by Abrams Books for Young Readers.
Jodie
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Comparisons that show how fast things go. Glossary included in the back.
Edward Sullivan
An exceptionally cool collection of unlikely comparisons with information accessible and easy for young children to grasp.
emyrose8
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Neat book about the speeds of different things (in km and mi). The back features more details about each thing that is listed.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Nov 29, 2014
Maggie
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting and quick non-fiction read! Adults will be fascinated as well.
Matteo Fumagalli
Sep 09, 2015
Pauline
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Visually effective way to teach specific math concepts of speed.
Amanda Augsburger
Jun 11, 2017
Danny
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
CRUSCHIFORM IS A FRENCH CREATIVE STUDIO BASED IN PARIS, WORKING ON A VARIETY OF PROJECTS FROM ILLUSTRATIVE FORMS TO A FULL ART DIRECTION AND GRAPHIC DESIGN SOLUTIONS,
ALL IN-HOUSE.

My name is Marie-laure Cruschi. I founded the studio in 2007 with the hope to continuously experiment and explore new areas, challenge my own limitations working towards the most appropriate outcome for each project.