Start by marking “In My Heart: A Book of Feelings” as Want to Read:
In My Heart: A Book of Feelings

In My Heart: A Book of Feelings

Sometimes my heart feels like a big yellow star, shiny and bright.
I smile from ear to ear and twirl around so fast,
I feel as if I could take off into the sky.
This is when my heart is happy.

Happiness, sadness, bravery, anger, shyness . . . our hearts can feel so many feelings! Some make us feel as light as a balloon, others as heavy as an elephant. In My Heart explores a
Published October 14th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about In My Heart, please sign up.
Fiona I feel surprised at your question! I think a child can definitely feel all the emotions that are talked about in this book.
By the age of 10 my own…more
By the age of 10 my own child had felt all these things. Even heartbroken after our dog died.
I think adults can underestimate the strength of a child's emotions.(less)
Charlotte Yette I read it with my kid who is 2. The kid loves it! Even English is not her native language, the colorful pictures can tell many meanings.

Start your review of In My Heart: A Book of Feelings
Calista
I loved this book. Simple and Charming. There is a cutout of a heart on each page that goes down to the last page. It is about all the things your heart can feel, like being brave. My niece read this to me and it helped her face her fears some. Beautiful book with a feel good message. Actually, she picked this out and had to share it with me because she loved it. She gave it 5 stars and the nephew gave it 3 stars.

It's a great book about feelings and it's lovely.
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

This book is a work of wonder and art. Gorgeous and fun! Feelings, colors, words, hearts, hearts, and hearts! So much heart. Look at that cover! The rainbow die-cut heart design will have readers of all ages flipping the pages again and again to watch the hearts grow, shrink, and change.

Happy. Brave. Mad. Calm. Sad. Afraid. Silly.

In My Heart: A Book of Feelings shares and describes them all and more. I loved how feelings were exhibited on the page with words and big, playful picturesfrom stars
Kimberly
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Charming. Would have liked to see a little boy share the feelings spotlight though. There's enough of this kind of thing for girls already. Boys have feelings too!
Scott
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book that discusses feelings for kids, and shows that having feelings, whether happy or sad, is good and normal.
A heart shaped hole is in the middle of the book. Clever.
Angelina
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I really nice way to explain the most common emotions to children.
Mel
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I have a soft spot for heart books. This is a beautifully constructed picture book.
Sharon
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A nice book you could read before bed. Love the cutouts and hearts. My favorite part was the silly heart pages.

#MayBellesLife
Reviewed by May, age 8
Aleska Sever
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book. I like it because it is a book that allows the reader to see himself through feelings. The storyline is about a little girl who talks about different types of feelings and how she perceives and expresses them. The language used is simple, lyrical and demonstrative, which is expressed through short paragraphs. This is a great book that can be used as a support for the child's socio-emotional development. One of the aspects that attracts the book is its physical aspect. ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Each page of this book talks about a different emotion and the cut out hearts grow smaller until the end of the book. A little girl describes how she feels with each emotion. On sad days her heart feels heavy like an elephant. On happy days her heart feels shiny and bright like a yellow star.

The illustrations are simple and colorful. The cut out hearts on each page add a fun element.

This story was originally written in French and translated into English. Although the examples are at times a bit
Samantha
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A description of different emotions set against die-cut pages of hearts decreasing in size until the point in which readers are asked to consider their own present emotions.

Nice addition to the offerings on the subject of emotions in children. I especially liked that proud and brave were included in this book. PreK-2.
Leslie Reyes
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this bio, and went to go buy my own copy. This book explores feelings and emotions. The layout and format were also great because of the cut outs. The illustrations were colorful yet simple. I think children would respond very well to this book due to the fact that it is simple, yet informative . This is appropriate in the classroom as well.
Lisa
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Buy this book for everyone you know. Read it aloud and get your children or grandchildren to read it aloud to you. Talk about feelings. A wonderful gift to give anyone going through a loss, or bad times. Great conversation starter. Cheerful, happy and a delight to read.
Nadia
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic way to talk with young children about feelings.
LAILA
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know it's a children's book, but I read this in Shakespeare and Company in Paris! The place is amazing!
Dana
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Great book about feelings for preschoolers.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Okay. Young girls are clearly the audience.
Meghan Douglas
Beautiful book that provides preschoolers with the vocabulary to name and discuss their feelings.
Annabel Pizzata
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My new favourite children's book. Perfectly gives children language prompts around describing their emotions. Sometimes even as an adult we need reminders of how to deal with big feelings as covered.
Andy Nortrup
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
We are working on helping our two year old handle big feelings. This is a sweet explanations of the basic kid feelings.
Carolyn Stover
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love the multicolored dye cut hearts. This book explains that emotions can have physical feelings as well. Covers a wide range of feelings in text easily understood by young children.
❤💜💛💙💚
Erin Benjamin
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This opened many an important discussion in bed with my children. I felt angry today mummy and we would talk it through. Its still relevant and meaningful to them as a toddler as it is for them in primary school. ...more
Samantha
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute children's book about a variety of feelings/emotions that your heart may feel at different times. I like the simple pictures and the "cut out" hearts.
Brandice Harrison
This book goes over how this little girl feels during certain things, like when something happens. It goes over all of the feelings like sadness, happiness etc. It is a great book for teachers to teach on feelings and how in certain situations we may feel like this, or we may get mad if this happened, etc. There can be many activities used to go along with this book. This teaches a lot of social-emotional value and the book itself is pretty and simple which is great for ages 4-5.
Colette Walters Walden
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jo Witek's charming children's book helps boost emotional intelligence in children.

This bright book balances upbeat, wonderful illustrations with the ideal amount of white space on every page. It is likely to earn become a favorite of educators of the young and also among librarians choosing books for kids in schools, camps, and after-school programs.

Social workers and counselors are likely to discover this gem. It could be quite helpful when working with families.
Beth Orchard
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son received this for a gift and it has helped him at age 3 to articulate his feelings a bit more and address when he's upset and crying, when he's jumping like a bunny, when he's shy, etc. He asks to read this one every night (which is a nice departure from reading about crane trucks and backhoes...)

I love the illustrations, the pace of the story and the drawings. Liam thinks they're funny and yet they also are easy to understand. He loves the 'angry heart' because he understands wanting to
Belinda
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A simple yet beautiful way to describe a range of feelings to a child.
The big heart shape in the centre of the cardboard based page is coloured
according to the feeling.
There's pride, anger, sadness and there's a pink heart, a blue one, red, etc.
A lovely touch.
I think this is a great way to introduce feelings and the language we use
to express them.
A child who knows how to say, "this is how I feel" is empowered by their words,
so this sort of concept is important.
I highly recommend it.
Dian Zulkarnain
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely illustrated children's book that charmingly explains in simple terms the variety of emotions a person carries in their heart. I'd say the book is suitable for ages 5 & above. A nice touch is that there is a cut-out heart in the middle of each page, painted with bright colours and surrounded by zany drawings. I think this book is an excellent book for guardians & persons in the healthcare profession to own to read with a child in helping them understand their own myriad of ...more
Nadine
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher-librarian I get to read a LOT of books, and every now and again you get a book like this that makes you stop, cancel anything else you'd planned with your classes and decide this is the book that everyone has to hear this week. And this is that book (My two blankets was another). Just lovely. And an acute reminder of just why we have to make sure books get translated, as the original was French and otherwise a whole lot of children would never get to see it.
Savannah Webster
There's extra excitement to the pages with cut outs and the illustration is whimsical delight. Every page is fabulous! This is especially dear because of my daughter who has Williams syndrome ❤ she is very aware of her emotions, loves to express them in fact, but has a hard time putting them to words. Great book to discuss those big feelings every one has.
Linda B
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This die cut book was so wonderful to help children know their hearts can feel so many different ways at different times. The bright, simple illustrations help to highlight the words. A heart can be mad! A heart can be happy! Sometimes we take for granted children know things, this is another way to clarify and maybe even introduce that hearts are more than just filled with love.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »