Start by marking “How Mirka Caught a Fish” as Want to Read:
How Mirka Caught a Fish

How Mirka Caught a Fish

(Hereville #3)

Welcome back to Hereville, where Mirka, the time-traveling, monster-fighting, Orthodox Jewish girl faces her greatest challenge yet: babysitting! Mirka wants to find new adventures, but she's stuck having to watch her disapproving little sister. Add a magic fish with a grudge, and Mirka's in way over her head--and this time, her whole family is in danger!
Published November 3rd 2015 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about How Mirka Caught a Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Mirka Caught a Fish

Start your review of How Mirka Caught a Fish
Eilonwy

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two Mirka/Hereville books. :-(

Partly, the continuity seemed off somehow. Mirka's older sisters don't appear and aren't mentioned, while a younger sister who wasn't in the previous two books is suddenly the driving force for this story. And partly, while this story is a little more mature than the previous installments, it's also darker and creepier in a way I just didn't like that much.

On the other hand, it gets four stars because it's just as wildly
Aloke
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, comix
Humor, logic, time travel! I love this series.
Kaethe Douglas
Mirka is something else. She's the Orthodox Jewish equivalent of Tiffany Aching and if the running of all universes was handed over to girls of their ilk, then things would run smoothly, logically, and with plenty of action.

Library copy
Questingforaquest
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For all of the Mirka books, I've flown through them, unable to read them fast enough, and then closed the book at the end with a warm, fuzzy glow. This one...

This one is a brilliant example of why children's literature is important, and significant, and should be taken seriously. I think Mr. Deutsch has done the credibility of graphic novels, and especially those for children, a huge favor.

A lot of good children's literature is very metaphorical. Where the Wild Things Are is a bildungsroman. Har
John
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Builds on the first two episodes, so those should be read first. I love this series--not only for the story lines and the humor, but also for the way it gives me a feeling for what it is like to read a story as a cultural outsider. I think HEREVILLE should be required reading for anyone who is puzzled by minority readers who express feelings of alienation or otherness thanks to the underlying, usually unstated (and invisible to us white, mainstream, cisgender, etc folk) attitudes, values and ass ...more
Christine
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be Jewish to love Mirka. Deutsch stories uses religion and folklore to tell a story that is also about family. Religion simply is in the book, which is lovely. Mirka rocks. I love this series.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Children's graphic novel with Orthodox Jewish characters and some fantasy elements thrown into the mix. Characterization is superb. Story line is interesting. Very original series. Art is above average.

I've never encountered a children's book that incorporates religion so well into the story. The Jewish-ness isn't just an incidental part of the characters to add some flavor; it defines who the characters are. The Jewish customs and culture are woven tightly into the plo
Amy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The author manages to tell a simple, creep-inducing tale with a flourish of humor and whimsy. Our heroine is a frum, Yiddish-speaking Orthodox Jewish girl with a stepmother named “Fruma” (translation: pious female) and a half sister to babysit. After a strict injunction not to enter the woods, Mirka and her sister do exactly that, and encounter a wish-granting fish out for revenge.

An all-too-tidy resolution and a lack of real character development made my enjoyment of this middle grades adventur
Susan
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Both the 9 and 7 year old loved it as much as the first two installments. The artwork was very clever and well-done, and the story funny, with a lot to think about.
Jae
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite of the three, I think.
Kayla
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm on the fish's side tbh. Mirka and her family are all terrible people. Well except Rochel. She's reasonable.
Fermin Liborio
green fish take mirka's sister name is layele. mirka got big worry then look for her. she find her in water. you want to know why fish take her then read this book.
Chava
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Sesana
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another excellent volume of Hereville. This just might be the best one yet, actually. I feel like there's more character development in this one book than in the previous two combined, especially in regards to Mirka's step-mother. There's also a more keen sense of actual danger to the protagonists. One thing that I've liked about the series as a whole is how much the characters need to rely on their wits to save the day, and that's never been more true than in this story.
Andy
Deutsch's Herevillebooks just keep getting better and better. This third volume is the most entertaining entry with a significant amount of depth and humanity amid the adventure and humor. Highly recommended. Gwen and I will be discussing this one soon at The Comics Alternative Podcast. ...more
Brandy
I love Hereville. The adventures, the humor, the family dynamics... Mirka is becoming a younger version of her stepmother, and at this point in the series they're both starting to lean into it a little more. I would happily read a comic about them doing nothing adventurous -- they're just such great characters together.
Dolores
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The third book in the Hereville series finds Mirka babysitting her younger sister--and of course, disobeying instructions. A forbidden trip into the woods lands everyone in hot water when a magic fish with a grudge against her stepmother kidnaps her sister. Love this series!
Rachel Solomin
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best yet in the series.
SocProf
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I've been a fan of this series (and of Barry Deutsch's cartoons) ever since it started. Fantasy + orthodox Jewish heroin turns out to be a great combination. I wish this series got more exposure.
Alison
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great series and it's really cool how the author mixes in Jewish culture without taking away from the main characters heroics
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SERIES
Liz
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best Hereville yet!
sophia
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Welcome back to Hereville!
Karen
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
And in this adventure, Mirka learns the importance of family, even if you don't feel like it's your family, and that things are not always what they seem. After a magical fish is accidentally awakened from a long slumber by Mirka and her sister Layele, Mirka learns that her stepmother Fruma has a past that seems not so different from Mirka's own--and maybe even more strange. Chaos erupts as Mirka attempts to free her sister from the fish's malevolent grasp, and the family tries to find calm in t ...more
Michael
Our whole family loved this one, although the main villain becomes quite a bit scary and may have been too much for our 4-year-old. There are some pretty heavy themes about death, personal fears, parenting, and second mothers here. But it also contains the typical charm and humor of this series, page-by-page translations of Yiddish phrases, some great short comic strip sequences at crisis points, and powerful, non-simplistic morality. Plus, I am a sucker for time travel and three wish logic, whi ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-CycleAnother fantastic adventure in Hereville. I really enjoy this series, especially the blending of reality and fantasy as well as the folklore elements.As these books have progressed, it has been interesting to see Mirka's relationships with her various family members, especially her siblings, and her stepmother always filling an important role within the story. Watching Mirka learn and mature and grow has been such a wild adventure in the best of w ...more
Sylvia McIvers
Mythology has a wisdom-fish that people try to catch. This isn't it.

Mirka has to - oh the horror! oh the dread! don't read any further!!! - babysit for an afternoon. She takes her little (half-)sister into the woods, chasing adventure. She finds adventure and loses her sister - Mirka is the worst babysitter ever.

We learn more about Mirka' step-mother Fruma, formerly Fran, and Fran's mother. How does Mirka keep meeting ghosts of people she never met?

Once again, problems are solved not by swords
George
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best line was:
"For my second wish, I wish that you always answer questions about yourself and your powers fully and honestly, taking into account not just the literal meaning of the question but also your best-faith understanding of the intent of the questioner, and without using technically honest but misleading interpretations."
Bernard Martis
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Simply amazing

This is an emotional story for kids and adults alike. Well worth the read for the moral message alone. Mr Deutsch tackles the sins of vanity, pride, greed, hate, and vengance.

What is justice? What is faireness? Pick up a copy of this comic to find out.
➷
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I missed this series! So nice to get to read another book from it. As usual, a comfortable, happy graphic novel for all ages, perfect for curling up in a blanket and reading. I zoomed through this one, totally unable to put it down-- I hope this series continues for a long, long time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dragon Hoops
  • The City on the Other Side
  • The Runaway Princess
  • Calamity Jack (Rapunzel's Revenge, #2)
  • Click
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Red Maze
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • The Cobalt Prince
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)
  • Suee and the Shadow
  • Little White Duck: A Childhood in China
  • Rapunzel's Revenge (Rapunzel's Revenge, #1)
  • Will & Whit
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice