Start by marking “Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo” as Want to Read:
Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo

Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo

Adventure Time: The Art of Ooois the first book to take fans behind the scenes of Finn the Human’s and Jake the Dog’s adventures in the postapocalyptic, magical land of Ooo. Packed to theseams with concept art and storyboards, this lavishly illustrated tome offers an all-access pass into the Emmy Award–winning show team’s creative process.The Art of Oootraces series ...more
Published October 14th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Adventure Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventure Time

Start your review of Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo
Donovan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not so much praising the book as the show, but Guillermo de Toro's inroduction says it best:

"It is the rarest of tales that can be told with the ease of a child....Adventure Time is animated by incredible humanism. One that has its basis in the effortless bromance of Jake and Finn, yes, but one that also understands pathos, fragility and loss.....Contrary to Hollywood dictum the characters are the story and its structure is not dictated by a creaky three-act structure- it stays
Alexandra
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love art books and this one doesn’t disappoint. Seriously, this book is massive and filled with concept art, storyboards, and commentary from the creative team.
Hilary
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, I loved reading about the creative process and the work/inspiration the artists put into the show. I was hoping for some more insight into the actual story of Ooo and the characters within, but it was still a great read if you're a fan of the show (who wouldn't be?!).
Erika Schoeps
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love these "art of" books so friggin much. The best part of this is that it's mostly just a long, rambling interview with the show's creators. A lot of good stuff here if you're interested in philosophy and the arts.
I'm not an artist and I don't go out of my way to learn about animation's more technical aspects, but I still enjoy learning about this stuff because it's so crazy... You forget how many people are behind all this stuff when you're watching the show. Even though I've read multiple
Eric Orchard
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, art-books
One of the best art books I have. Stuffed full of beautiful images and compelling text.
Niilo
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AT's art style is very simplistic and so is the art in the book. There's a lot of simple pencil sketches, character designs, storyboards and screenshots from the episodes and a lot of "making of" text. Probably everybody who ever worked in this series gets to tell behind-the-scenes stories and personal insights of the show. I believe this is the best AT book there will ever be. However it seems like the show creators don't have time to make intricate concept art for the series and instead just ...more
Cale
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read this after reading a similar collection about Steven Universe, just to see how the two series approach their production differently. This book focuses a lot more on the practical aspects and trying to define the ineffable feeling of Adventure Time, whereas Steven Universe's book was a lot more focused on the emotions behind everything. This book features a wide assortment of beautiful art and does a good job of explaining the thinking behind many of the decisions. It ...more
Meekd
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend for fans and designers that love Adventure Time and want some more info about the work that went into development and creation of the series. I didn't know much about storyboarding or what goes into illustrating characters for an animation, and this book gave me some insight into the hard work behind such a great cartoon that is loved by kids and adults.
Quiana Howard
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonder insight into the creative world of the show. All the background and pre cartoon network information was nice to read and see how far the show had come. Also it was good to hear from and see all the contributions from all the minds that come together to make Pen Ward's vision into a actual show.
Nathan Sizemore
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
82/100

A really illumination look into the creative process behind Adventure Time and the development of its art style. I mowed through this one and imagine anyone who's seen much of the show would, too. I love all of the concept art on display pre-watering down to fit into episodes.
Forest Gamble
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Adventure Time, you HAVE to read this book! Really informative and enjoyable.
Sean Daily
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep it brief - this book is absolutely beautiful. Adds insight to one of the most emotionally complex television shows to ever air.
Harris
Adventure Time: The Art of Ooo is quite a hefty tome, filled with all manner of ephemera and ancient history anecdotes illuminating some of the background of the popular kid's cartoon for adults, (or vice versa?), Adventure Time. Every page includes colorful, vibrant artwork from the show, illuminating the creative process that brings such a unique and imaginative vision to life, from the origins of Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, the Ice King, and the land of Ooo itself.

Through collections of
Andrew
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible read about the creative process behind one of the most successful and exciting animated shows on television today. The entire creative crew is interviewed on the creative processes they use everyday and the interactions between designers, producers, animators, background artists and the creator himself, Pen.

The book details many of the shows flagship characters, and how they were fleshed out both in look and character, in terms of how they interact with their environment.
Jamie Whitman
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure trove.
There are a lot of drawings of monsters that are never seen on the show but still feel like they have the potential to. Like Finn and Jake could run into them some day. Storyboard artist Jesse Moynihan says of the show, "it keeps existing without the viewer. Things happen between episodes that aren't depicted." The world of Adventure Time is vast and full of possibility. It exists in the minds of its creators and writers and artists and even fans. That idea of
Gabe
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. I don't normally read art books, but I'm glad I picked this one up. This book has a lot of interviews with the cast and crew that work on the show, and it was really interesting to see how much work goes into it. I knew a little about Adventure Time's origins, but I never knew what a struggle it was to even get the show off the ground in the first place, let alone continue with it. It's like an underdog story and I couldn't help but feel inspired to continue pushing my own ...more
Kate
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clint
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It turns out I don't care for Pen Ward's art that much, but I love the world of Adventure Time and this book is massive and comprehensive. The book is about 350 pages long with art on every page, and it includes all the art you want to see: concept sketches, process art, story boards, character guidelines, backgrounds, fan art and more. I recently checked out a book on How to Draw Avatar: The Last Airbender and was sorely disappointed that nothing from the animation bible was included. The Art ...more
Anu
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So Adventure Time is my favourite cartoon ever, the complex storyline, the amazing growth and interconnected-ness of the characters, the vast world and mythos, altogether it’s all so amazing. I bought this large book filled with interviews of the cast, crew, and creators of Adventure Time. I enjoyed reading about the process of making a cartoon, how they brainstorm ideas for episodes and creatures of Ooo. It was nice to see a variety of sketches and artwork to build the world and characters, and ...more
Diz
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, animation
This is a really impressive animation art book. It has a good balance between art and text. The art includes lots of concept and production art, so you get a really good look into the production process of this show. The text goes into how the show was started and how the show is created. You get to hear from a wide variety of people who are working on the show, so the text never gets tedious. This is probably one of the best art books for a TV cartoon. If you're a fan of the show, you should ...more
Daniel F.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Now that I've nearly finished Art of Ooo, I can give a more full-fledged review. This book is chock-full of storyboard art and promotional images that have never been seen before. I was amazed at the amount of art this book had in it! The book also gives great insight into how the show was created, how episodes are created, and most importantly, the silly things the crew of Adventure Time do. I highly recommend that any fan of Adventure Time should read this book, the will certainly be ...more
Kate
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: illustrators, animators
A wonderful collection of art, sketches and studies from the Adventure Time universe. Guillermo del Toro's forward was amazing -- he manages to perfectly capture and describe what makes the show so fantastic. I will be reading and referencing this book again and again, it's brimming with all sorts of incredible details and inside looks into the process and imagination of one of my favorite series.
Modi123
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artish
A wonderful hard bound book with spot on graphics from the show, story boards, post-it-note changes, and commentary one the first season as well as the over all cohesion and vision of the project. It was a pleasure getting comments on the voice actors, The Process :) , and challenges of making a show like Adventure Time work on a cable network. If you are an Adventure Time fan this is a solid choice for insights on the show, and peeling back the veil to see the man behind the curtain.
Ben
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arguably the perfect art book as, not only is it packed with beautiful images, but there is a hell of a lot of information on the creative process, the design ethos, the thought that goes into each and every detail, and insight into the creator's minds that you really couldn't ask for more. Genuinely inspiring and essential for fans of the show or anyone creative who wishes to revel in the process or get a glimpse of how to achieve something similar.
Hanna
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any fan of adventure time
OH MY GLOB!! Fans of Adventure Time, listen up! This is the book for you. Filled with not only pictures but backstory as well, this book will keep you occupied for quite some time. AND this book was so lovely, I have decided to purchase it for my (husband's) personal collection. I highly recommend this book and if you are an AT fan and haven't picked it up yet, go!!!
Matt Spahr
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely thorough. When I read "The Art of Ooo" on the cover, I fairly assumed it meant just visual art. Nope. All art. Writing, composing, character concept, storyboarding, background painting, color styling and so on. It's a freaking textbook on all things Adventure Time. Very beautifully put together.
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're thinking about entering the animation industry this book is a must read. Not only is every design unbelievably imaginative but every solution to every problem is genius. So much of what television cartoons are today is derived from solutions made by the Adventure Time Crew in the last five years.
Sabrienne Olanio
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Guillermo Del Toro's introduction alone made me think for days about the creative process of this series. When he said he cried, I felt like crying myself. Pendleton Ward has gone through tremendous work to make the extensive world of Finn and Jake a reality --in more than one way. It's a must read for anyone who loves Adventure Time.
Chloe Low
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a major influence to my decision to become a storyboard artist when I grow up. My drawing style has much adapted to the style of this show for the past 3 years. Cartoons and comics have been an impact on me my whole life to this moment to where I look forward to working bts in the future. If you're a big fan, of AT like me, you'll totally enjoy this book.
Tim
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic behind the scenes look at the cartoon Adventure Time. Chock full of commentary from the shows creators as well as storyboards, concept art, promotional art, and character studies, this is not to be missed for fans of the show.

• The Adventure Time Encyclopaedia: Inhabitants, Lore, Spells, and Ancient Crypt Warnings of the Land of Ooo Circa 19.56 B.G.E. - 501 A.G.E.
  • Avatar The Last Airbender: The Art of the Animated Series
  • Gravity Falls: Journal 3
  • Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 3
  • Adventure Time: Seeing Red (Adventure Time OGN, #3)
  • How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You