Start by marking “Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads: A Modern Knitter’s Guide to Discovering and Exploring Style” as Want to Read:

Cirilia Rose is the epitome of the new knitwear designer—young, educated, curious, and excited to share her passion for all ideas knit and purl. Her attitude toward curating her own collection of designs is informed as much by travel, cultural history, and tried-and-true sourcebooks as it is by modern media and technology. In Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads, Rose takes ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads

Start your review of Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads: A Modern Knitter’s Guide to Discovering and Exploring Style
Artemisia Hunt
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite knitting book. This fun, eclectic, quirky take on knitting combines tradition and modernity into a great mix of knitting know-how, style savvy and love of the craft. Did I mention that the patterns included are some of the most interesting and creative ones I've seen in a while? Definitely a great read for any intelligent knitter wanting to up the ante with their knitting practice in a big way.
Michelle
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful photography. Maybe one pattern I'd make, though. Simply not my style! Remember - you can always browse Ravelry if you want to see what patterns exist before making the jump to purchase the book!
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
I liked the ideas around style and remaking garments and style
Overall the patterns did not inspire me.
Jade
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Ladies and gentlemen, stop looking. We've found it!

The most pretentious fibre craft book ever made.
Belinda
This is a very middle of the road book. Along with Jared Flood and Stephen West, Cirilia is one of the "trendy" new knitters - kind of like the hipsters of the knitting world (although I don't think there's any way Stephen West could be called a hipster anymore! I not even sure what category could describe him). This book reflects that aesthetic - there's a section on styling and on thrift shopping; both very instagrammy hipster things. So, if you're thinking of becoming a knitwear designer or ...more
Autumn Shuler
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful photography, helpful styling tips, and stunning patterns make Magpies, Homebodies, and Nomads worth checking out. I grabbed a copy from my library to see if I liked it and I saw enough patterns that I want to make that I plan on buying a copy.

Though I haven't made any of the patterns, they all appear well written, and there's no argument that the finished objects are show stoppers. Even if you aren't interested in the patterns, Rose offers some great style advice in a fun,
Julie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
An intriguing combination of patterns and essays. The patterns are beautiful, although most are aimed at a much younger demographic than the one I am in. I really enjoyed reading the essays, which focus on ways to develop one's personal style. Definitely worth reading, even if you don't plan to the knit the patterns. My advice: get it from the library first, as I did.
Mckinley
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't really like any of these.
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
I wanted to make a lot of these patterns!
Brooke Vertin
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
lovely, beautiful, full of great ideas and patterns
Pamela
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Didn't actually read the book but loved, loved, loved 2 of the patterns. The others are super cute too.
Vanessa Fernandez
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book five more stars if I could. Brilliant, insightful, and inspiring.
Rose Ann
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Gorgeous projects, beautiful yarns. The projects are beautifully executed and styled.
Tiffany
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
An okay knitting pattern book, but mostly not to my taste.
Monique
Ricki Koppel
Feb 19, 2015
Emilyn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took a quick look through this one. Some good advice on creating knits you’ll love and finding places to look for inspiration. Really like some of the patterns.
Kathryn
Jun 27, 2015
Aimee Dars
Feb 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Up, Down, All-Around Stitch Dictionary: More than 150 stitch patterns to knit top down, bottom up, back and forth, and in the round
  • The Knitting All Around Stitch Dictionary: 150 new stitch patterns to knit top down, bottom up, back and forth & in the round
  • Made by Hand: A Collection of Projects to Print, Sew, Weave, Dye, Knit or Otherwise Create
  • Hollywood's Eve: Eve Babitz and the Secret History of L.A.
  • The Blue Castle
  • The Beginner's Guide to Writing Knitting Patterns: Learn to Write Patterns Others Can Knit
  • Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers
  • You Can Knit That: Foolproof Instructions for Fabulous Sweaters