Start by marking “The Accidental Cupid (A Valentine Rainbow)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Cupid (A Valentine Rainbow)

The Accidental Cupid

(A Valentine Rainbow)

While performing as Cupid on Valentine’s Day, Josh has the unpleasant task of delivering a break-up message to Dallas from his girlfriend, Jess. Jess is convinced Dallas is gay, and when Josh tries to comfort him, he finds she may very well be right. When Dallas’s best friend Austin arrives, it’s up to Josh to show both young men the love and acceptance they’ve always had ...more
Published February 6th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published February 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Cupid

Ann
Ok, that was totally my favorite story of the series. So, yeah, it was the first one I read, but I loved it. Josh is a completely hysterical cupid and I can respect anyone who can work "bag of dicks" into a story with competence.

Josh truly lived up to his part time job alter ego of Cupid and was exactly in the right place at the right time. His inner monologue cracked me up and the sweetness was just shy of being too much. Which, for Valentine's Day is completely acceptable.

Funny, sweet and se
Catherine
Just over 50 pages in length, The Accidental Cupid proved to be the perfect way for me to dip my toe in Valentine’s Day’s undoubtedly rose-scented waters.

I loved almost everything about this story, from the off-beat opening concept of a poor college kid doing a humiliating job to make a little extra cash for school, to the totally cringe-worthy recitation of the breakup poem (can you imagine receiving a Dear John letter written in iambic pentameter?!), and the fact that penis-shaped gummy candi
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another winner from A Valentine Rainbow Set!

I hadn't read the blurb prior to reading this story and I'm kind of happy that I didn't because the whole plot was a pleasant surprise for me. It was a sexy, adorable, and really funny read.

I think the best part of the book was Josh's inner monologue. Whenever the story veered a bit towards the sappy or unbelievable side, Josh steered it back with his hilarious thoughts. I loved him and I want him to have his own story (please, Xavier Mayne!).

A perf
Sandra
That was adorable, OMG. Soooooooo fecking cute!!!!

Josh is playing Cupid on Valentine's Day, delivering pre-ordered poems and gifts. Until his last customer, when he gets to play Cupid for real after delivering first a crushing blow, and then real, thus far unrequited, love on a platter. Both Dallas and Austin were super cute, and the emotions were high, and the boysecks was lovely, even if we didn't get to see all of it. Romance galore, just perfect for a Valentine's Day anthology.
Justin
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Justin by: Ann
If I were rating this book strictly as a contemporary romance, I'd call "bullshit" and give it 1 star. Instead I'm going to assume it's supposed to be a fantasy romance and as such I'll give it 4 stars. It's short, it's sweet and it has the right mixture of sexy-times. What more could you ask for in a Valentine's story?
Vivian
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
Adorable and funny. The set up for this story is great and the end leaves you with a sugar high.
Lucy
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was actually thinking this short story was going in a different direction as I read it and I’m glad it ended up where it did. Dallas’ girlfriend, Jess, honestly. Breaking up with someone via singing telegram, on Valentine’s Day, by Cupid? That’s cold. That’s something you do to someone you hate.

While Cupid (Josh) feels so bad for Dallas, he also agrees with Jess. This man is gay. Dallas has a lot to deal with right now, facing a break up, realizing he’s gay, fending off the feelings he has fo
Serena Yates
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, holiday
This is a fun, touching, and somewhat unusual story about two guys finally finding love together. The beginning is somewhat depressing, but Josh, dressed up as Cupid, quickly hatches a brilliant plan. His idea of showing Dallas how gay he really is made me smile – too bad Austin interrupts. On the other hand, Austin is so clearly in love with Dallas that it really shouldn't have been necessary for Josh/Cupid to do anything at all.

Dallas is a great guy who is convinced he is straight. When his fi
Fritz42
What a cute little story.

Josh is a college student working as a Cupid, delivering messages to others on Valentine's Day, to make money. It's been a long day. He's put up with obnoxious people. He's tired and can't wait to be done. Which is why he didn't preview the message for his last delivery. Both he and Dallas, the recipient, are shocked to hear the poem that Dallas's girlfriend has written to break up with Dallas.

Josh just can't leave the poor guy alone after his heart was broken, now cou
Alex
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Sweet and funny short story! I so loved this one!!!!
Monika

This was freakin adorable, totally sweet and funny!
Thomaidha Papa
3 Hearts
Review written for MM good Book Reviews

Uhm… I liked the poem. Really, I saw nothing wrong with it since sometimes it’s hard to face the truth. So she wrote it instead, so what? Harsh? Hmm, I just can’t see it, more like a huge freaking favor. So now that that’s stated, let’s move on shall we?

Dallas is getting ready to propose to his girlfriend of two years, but Jess has other ideas. So on Valentine’s Day she hires Josh, who is working a gig as Cupid, to deliver a message to her boyfriend
Beth
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute little Valentine's short. I liked it a lot. Lots of humor and love. Perfect for that crazy upcoming holiday that you either love or hate. I really enjoy Author Xavier Mayne's writing style and i'm happy to say that he's an auto-buy for me.
Eli Easton
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very funny and well-written short. The first part had some laugh-out-loud lines. A nice little treat for Valentine's Day.
Saskia
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok

While it was slightly better than 2 stars (usually my 2 star ratings are reserved for really bad reads, but I award the second star for effort; I don't really like giving just 1 star, because every story still requires a lot of work), I just can't round it up to 3.
So Josh has a gig as Cupid for Valentine's, delivering messages from one loved one to another. His last message is to Dallas, although instead of a declaration of love, his girlfriend dumps him, stating in her poem that it's
GottaLoveMM
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
4 Stars
Inked Reads
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
FiveStars
Xavier Mayne manages to temper even the saccharine sentiments of a Valentine’s Day love story with his trademark caustic wit. The tone is set when we meet his Cupid digging his “fucking white Speedo” out of his ass.

A Cupid Strip-O-Gram might not be traditional, but this one needs money for college and either his Dollar Store arrows or his perfectly chiseled abs have the power to drag a very pretty (and not-so-straight) boy out of the closet.

Beyond the highly amusing farce, and not witho
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Xavier Mayne manages to temper even the saccharine sentiments of a Valentine’s Day love story with his trademark caustic wit.  The tone is set when we meet his Cupid digging his “fucking white Speedo” out of his ass.

Beyond the highly amusing farce, and n
Rissa
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
That was freaking adorable! ♡

I love Josh's POV. His inner monologues were awesome.

Austin and Dallas were cute, their coming together was so sweet and it just made me happy.

(I did want Josh to get his happy too though! :( Lol)
Sara
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Completely adorable. So much fun in a few pages. Sweet and sexy, exactly how I like 'em. This was just what I needed for a good nights sleep. In the words of Mr. John Keating...thank you boys. Thank you.
Liz (Bugetta)
Cute story. I like Xavier Mayne's humor and Josh is just hilarious. I've read some of the other stories with Josh as the cupid (in the others he's more figuratively the cupid -- no costume involved :)) and now I just want him to get his HEA. :)
Rachel Emily
This was funny and just adorable! There were some great lines, and I really enjoyed the humor and the "awwww" factor in this story. One of the best "Valentine Rainbow" stories I have read from the collection.
Karen
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars--A quick, cute--almost too cute--Valentine's story.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, m-m
I am not a fan of Valentine's Day but this made me for sure a fan of Cupid :) Maybe I even believe in him. Happy Valentine's Day!
Lucia
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, virgin
What a sweet love story between Austin and Dallas (although the part with "Cupid" watching from the closet was a little creepy... LOL)
Sadonna
Josh's voice is pretty funny. Dallas and Austin were sweet :)
Dee Wy
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Funny and sweet, two things this author is very good at. Enjoyed it!
GlamLawyer
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome short story! Loved Josh the Cupid and his brilliant inner dialogues. The right read to brighten up a day. Romantic and lovely with the right amount of snarky humor and some hotness.
Simone
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Dreamspinner Press: The Accidental Cupid by Xavier Mayne 1 4 Feb 07, 2014 09:35PM
Xavier Mayne is the pen name of a writer who has been both a university professor of English and a marketing professional for software companies. He currently manages a team of writers for a large technology company based in the US Pacific Northwest. Versed in academic theories of sexual identity, he is passionate about writing stories in which men experience a love that pushes them beyond the bou ...more

A Valentine Rainbow (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Colors of Romance (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Love and an (Orange) Lamborghini (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • In Trouble with Angels (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Under the Table and Into His Heart (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Blue Valentine Blues (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Aunt Adeline's Bequest (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Pretty Sally Couldn't Marry Albert (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Orange You Glad I Said Kiss (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Come Clean (A Valentine Rainbow)
  • Campfire Confessions (A Valentine Rainbow)