Start by marking “Ex Equals” as Want to Read:
Ex Equals

Ex Equals

(Hot College Daze)

On his first day teaching math at a community college, Chris Reuben gets an unexpected and unwelcome blast from the past: one of his students is his former shipmate… and ex-boyfriend.

Justin Hayes isn’t looking for a second chance when he signs up for his ex’s algebra class. All he wants is a passing grade and maybe a shot at mending fences with the man he loved—and hurt—
Published January 31st 2014 by Lori A. Witt (first published September 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ex Equals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex Equals

Sheri
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do you have a ‘usual’? You know your favorite restaurant or diner where you get the same thing? I do. When I find something I like, I stick with it. Whenever we hit our local café for breakfast, I get the same thing- Every. Single. Time.
LA Witt is one of my ‘regulars’.
I know what I’m going to get. It’s going to be good. I’m going to be happy. Sometimes it will really hit the spot and then other times it will be completely satisfying but not ground shaking. This was one of those ‘yep, that was
Trisha Harrington
This wasn't a bad book. There were some nice moments in this. I loved the writing, which isn't a surprise because I'm a fan of L.A. Witt. I've read a few of her books and of the ones I've read, I enjoyed most. So that wasn't the problem. My main problem with this was the story, I guess.

Second chance romances can work for me... sometimes. It can be nice to see a former couple who've always loved each other get back together (once there's no cheating there, of course). But there are times when the
Aeren
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Retiro mi review porque pensándolo bien, todo lo que venga de un bully es 💩
Debra
L.A. Witt managed to pack quite a bit of emotion, angst and hot sex into this quick read. I love second chance stories and really enjoyed this one as well. My only disappointment was that I wanted Justin to have to work a bit harder for the super sh*tty way he treated Chris. That last flashback broke my heart, but the epilogue made me feel a bit better.
Teresa
Easy and quick read, I liked both characters. The story is told in alternating view points with flashbacks to their initial relationship. I saw the feeling there, though not why they still felt the same three years later. I felt Chris forgave far too easily. I did like the epilogue though and the sex was hot.
Shelby P
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebie, m-m, military
I really enjoyed this story and was pleasantly surprised by that fact. I like how it was written and Justin really made my blood boil with what he did to Chris but I believed in their love. I also like that the ending wasn't too fairy tale like; it was a realistic ending.
Candice
I actually didn't like Justin at all. He never really redeemed himself in my eyes. I thought Chris forgave him too easily. Maybe I just hold a mean grudge, but there's no way. After all that hurt. Nope.
**Sognatrice di libri**
Davvero una lettura molto piacevole e interessante l'unica pecca troppo corta.
Liz (Bugetta)
This was a good reunited lovers romance. The MCs meet again three years after they broke up in an algebra class at the local community college: Chris is the teacher and Justin is the student. They had been in the Navy together and in love and hiding their relationship because of DADT. When their relationship ended and it ended ugly. I liked how the story was told with flashbacks of how they fell in love and how and why it all fell apart, while at the same time you see them back together
Ricardo
Okay story without much that stands out as exceptional or original. Justin and Chris are in the Navy, in a relationship, and in the closet. When Justin gets promoted, he makes Chris’s life impossible due to his fear that people will discover their relationship. Chris finishes his time with the Navy and goes back to college. They meet again when Chris is teaching Algebra 101 in College and Justin has signed up for the course. They resist, they fight, they flirt and they get back together again an ...more
Jess Candela
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2010
I loved the story and the way it unfolded between present and past, with POV from each of the protagonists. I do wish it had been longer, so we could have experienced more of the details. I especially wished there wasn't quite as big a jump to the epilogue, as I'd have liked to see a bit more of how they worked things out and dealt with the daily realities of being together again in secret. I understand why Chris forgave Justin relatively easily, but after the hell of the end and the three years ...more
Lasha
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jessewave
4.25 stars.

Ex Equals is a wonderful story of Chris Reuben and Justin Hayes, ex-lovers and shipmates who were driven apart by the military’s DADT rules and Justin’s ego. L.A. Witt takes a very likeable character, Chris, and pairs him with a sometimes unsympathetic partner in Justin. Through flashbacks the reader learns of their passionate and very secret love affair when they were in the Navy together. Even though they’ve since broken up and Chris left the military, while Justin stayed in, you c
Kade Boehme
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm struggling. I love Lori's writing style. She also always gives me characters that I can cheer for, even if they're a huge asshole. The sex is hot and the story lines heartbreaking. No one gives you an impossible situation like Lori where you just ache with her characters. Like in this book. You totally kinda got where Justin was coming from and you were totally feeling for him...

But.

One thing I love is redemption stories. And Lori write some guys who NEED redeeming. And guys who are feisty
Christelle
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A short story about second chances and forgiveness.
Justin and Chris, while in the military, went into a closeted relationship. However, Justin turned out to be a real jerk for fear of repercussion on his career. Needless to say, it ended badly between them.
A few years later, Justin shows up in a class with Chris as his teacher. And all the memories, the longing but also the pain surface.

In a few pages, L.A.Witt packed up a lot of hotness coupled with emotion. As most of the times with this aut
Jewel
Sometimes love deserves a second chance. This was a sweet story about two men who, while in the military, had a relationship that would have gotten them booted. It ended badly. Three years later, Chris is teaching math at a community college and Justin needs the math credits for his degree and signs up for Chris' class to both get those credits and to apologize to Chris for how things ended. They are both still in love with each other and it takes a bit to get past the hurt and anger to get to w ...more
Finnegan
Reread 2016-07-01

I enjoyed this story so much more the second time around. I think what bugged me during the first read was that I don't like flashbacks, and was dreading the inevitable breakup.

During the second read I knew what to expect, and it was not nearly as angsty as I imagined it to be. In fact, it is a very enjoyable story about two exes who still love each other, trying to reconnect. Their concerns about the effect of their relationship on their careers added a realistic touch.
Shannon
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This barely missed the five star mark for me. Loved the guys, loved the storyline. Didn't think Justin paid nearly enough for how he treated Chris and wish I would have felt more of Chris's pain. I love some good angst. However, it was a great read and I actually didn't want it to end. Plus, hot smexing never hurts.
Neil Plakcy
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read about former lovers who reconnect, with a healthy dose of angst. I'm a sucker for anything military, and when you add in the fact that one of the lovers has left the service to become a professor, I'm all in.
Deanna Against Censorship
Elyxyz
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si dice che la strada verso l’inferno sia lastricata di buone intenzioni, come la storia sofferta di Justin e Chris, commilitoni nella marina americana, di pari grado, che diventano amici e che, segretamente, si sentono attratti vicendevolmente. Ma le relazioni omosessuali sono fortemente osteggiate nell’ambiente militare e i marinai non possono essere gay, no?
I due uomini, però, cedono all’amore, vissuto in clandestinità e con la costante ansia di essere scoperti, rovinando così una carriera pe
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Mild spoilers ahead, nothing that can't really be inferred from the blurb. Too lazy to do tags.

This story has the same issues that I have with a lot of Witt's stories and that's arguments repeating themselves: characters bringing up the same points two or three or more times, no one really hearing it, and then everything just kind of works itself out somehow. Now, maybe this is how it works for some couples and maybe that's how arguments tend to go. I don't know. What I do know is I don't really
Teri
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3-3.5
This was cute. I wish it had been a little longer as I would have liked a little more depth, but the few flashbacks helped and I did like it.
The situation was just crappy.
Why not wait till you make senior chief? Maybe push it to master chief? Stay in until thirty years and then come out at your retirement before you go home to an empty bed?

Justin was admittedly a total prick, but I almost wish we had gotten that situation from his perspective as well. Overall, I did like it, definitely wou
Wendy Ann
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve really enjoyed every book I’ve read by this author. Through this story, I could better empathize with our military men (and women) who have to pretend or cover up their relationships with same sex partners. It was nice to get perspectives from both main characters within the story to understand the thought process behind their actions. While I liked the ending, it also made me wish for just a tiny future glimpse to know any consequences to their choices.

Beyond all this, the clincher in how
Plainbrownwrapper
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Ehhh. I always like the way Witt writes sex scenes, but this isn't one of her better efforts. Not terrible, but not outstanding. And I do like second-chance romances with a grovelling ex who screwed up, but I wanted to see more grovelling than he did. Good descriptions of how much the wronged ex had to suffer, though -- maybe too good, even, since they effectively kept me from forgiving the guy who done him wrong.

It's a fair treatment of the choices that were forced on service men during the DAD
Debbora
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
This was a great read for me. I love military men. Hot sexy military men in love with each other even better. Chris and Justin starts out as equals in the navy then Justin gets promoted and well it's not a good thing. This had some angst, but I was feeling the hot passionate love for sure. I do wish Justin had groveled a little more. I definitely thought they belonged together. I loved the small flashbacks from each that was very cool way of sharing the story. Was a great story all around for me ...more
Lia
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
È un bel libro, non impegnativo e insegna anche, a volte è meglio rischiare e ammettere la verità piuttosto che perdere l'amore.
Non trovo giusto il fatto di diversi nascondere solo perché se sei gay la tua carriera è difficile.
Rendono la tua vita un inferno, non ti danno le promozioni, o se lo fanno ti fanno sudare sette camice, e tutto solo perché sei omosessuale.
Capisco che una relazione tra colleghi è sconveniente soprattutto quando si è marinai o poliziotti ecc, però torture una persona solo
Danni
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books were from page one to the very last page you get that warm and tingly feeling in your belly. Even though Chris was hurt by Jason they still love each other and the love between them is so palpable it radiates from the pages of the book (and no it is not because I have a reader with built in glow light). I really enjoyed this read and I just really wanted the guys to be together.

Otterpuss
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
There's a few mistakes in this one that irritated me. Missing words mainly.
Chris and Justin...I don't know. Chris is a bit too easy going and Justin doesn't have many redeeming qualities.
I liked the premise of the story and I enjoyed the flash backs but something was missing.
The ending felt rushed, unexplained. I wanted to know what happens going forward, how things panned out but it just stopped.
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, m-m
*Happy sigh*
L.A. Witt is an auto-buy for a reason, and I loved this one as much as I always do. This was basically a re-write of A.J.'s Angel with a military spin, only she fixed the two biggest gripes (I had none, but other people did). There's no cheating in this one, and she alternates the first person POV so you get equally acquainted with both guys. Great read.
Meggie
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story wasn't staged and written in an interesting pulling way. This past and present tense was boring as hell. I know the reason was to explain the past and to understand all present events, but damn it was boring book. And I didn't get into characters, at all. Both of them were to bland for me.
A Million More Pages: Ex Equals: Mar 20 14 19 Mar 21, 2015 09:32PM
  • Heartstrings
  • The Telling (The Telling, #1)
  • Permanently Legless
  • Anchors Aweigh (Maritime Men, #2)
  • All Bets Are Off (Mountain Boys, #1)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • A Ring and a Promise (A Ring and A Promise #1)
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Waves Break My Fall
  • Once a Marine
  • Personal Shopper
  • Until We Meet Once More
  • Foxe Tail (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #1)
  • How the Other Half Lives (London Lads, #2)
  • Tailor Made (Tailor Made, #1)
  • Crack the Darkest Sky Wide Open
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti

Hot College Daze (8 books)
  • Academic Pursuits (Hot College Daze)
  • Accidental Love
  • Left of the Dial
  • More Than Anything (More, #1)
  • More Than Enough (More, #2)
  • Office Hours
  • Tailor Made (Tailor Made, #1)