Start by marking “Food: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Food: A Love Story

Food: A Love Story

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  22,938 ratings  ·  3,294 reviews
“What are my qualifications to write this book? None really. So why should you read it? Here’s why: I’m a little fat. If a thin guy were to write about a love of food and eating I’d highly recommend that you do not read his book.”

Bacon. McDonalds. Cinnabon. Hot Pockets. Kale. Stand-up comedian and author Jim Gaffigan has made his career rhapsodizing over the most treasure
Published October 21st 2014 by Crown Archetype

To ask other readers questions about Food, please sign up.
Kent Woods Basically true. In each chapter you will find at least one joke that was one one standup album. For example, he gives you the greatest hits of the Hot…moreBasically true. In each chapter you will find at least one joke that was one one standup album. For example, he gives you the greatest hits of the Hot Pocket comedy track, adds a few, and talks about how Hot Pockets have changed his life. Still, if you're a Gaffigan fan, this is an excellent read, especially if you get it from Audible as an audio book. Then it's like a nine-hour comedy special.(less)

·  22,938 ratings  ·  3,294 reviews

Majenta
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Mind you, I'm not criticizing the biscuits and gravy or the chicken and waffles. I find them delightful. I'm just saying if I lived down there I would be dead." (p.48)

"I remember when I was ten years old looking around at my small Indiana town that didn't even have a McDonald's and thinking, I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE. THERE'S BEEN SOME MISTAKE." (p. 53)

"They are heroes, really. Or drug dealers. Either way, they are allowed to be jerks. Thank you, arrogant (view spoiler)
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I think I found my long lost brother...

Yes Jim..I do.

A book on totally embracing all your food sins? Sign me up. I try and eat healthy..Avoid McDonald's, Not eat Bacon for everymeal (Notice how Bacon gets capitilized-it should always), eat some veggies..and fruit.
Chicago commercial photographers

Who am I kidding? In this book you don't read it for the fruit! You read it to have fun with food. Even when it kills you.
Chicago commercial photographers

Jim Gaffigan doesn't care if you eat McDonald's. He admits he does. Even when he hides behind the counters so t
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

RELEASE DATE TODAY 10/21 - YUMMY YUMMY!

As a person who enjoys Jim Gaffigan’s stand-up routine, I jumped at the chance to read Dad is Fat. Unfortunately (probably due to the fact that I’m raising my own brood of horrible offspring), that one fell just a tad flat for me. However, as a fellow chubbo I was all grabby-hands when it came to getting a copy of Food: A Love Story . . . Wait, you know what this review could use? A DONUT!

Ahhhhh,
Elyse Walters
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maybe all Americans should just eat starving people from other nations"....
.......maybe it's just me, but I was dying-laughing silly when Jim Gaffigan spit out the sentence.
I had another thought: perhaps the hungry people should eat the obese Americans.

Go ahead ... Spank me.. I've a sick sense of humor.. but I was very entertained during my walks with this book! WAY TOO FUNNY!!!
Audiobook=HILARIOUS!!!!

Crab, oysters, lobster, anchovies, and octopus, are nothing but sea buggers swimming at the bo
Matthew
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Mr. Gaffigan, for my first book of 2016 - and a good way to start!

In spring of 2000, I went to The Late Show with David Letterman - the guests were Jackie Chan and up and coming (and little known) comedian Jim Gaffigan. I am excited that years later I can say that I was there to see someone before they were big (and, have the opportunity to name drop in a Goodreads review).

I enjoyed Gaffigan's cynical and humorous approach to foods of every kind. While I didn't always agree with his s
Jason Koivu
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
If aliens studied Earth, they would come to the conclusion that the United States is somehow consuming food on behalf of other countries.

And so begins Comedian Jim Gaiffigan's Food: A Love Story. Actually, that's not how it begins. I just thought the quote sounded almost philosophical, plus I wanted to use the grandiose "And so begins...." I could have just as well started with...

I’m convinced that anyone who doesn’t like Mexican food is a psychopath.

...because that, my friend, is fact!

Gaffigan
Carol
The Hook I love food but food, or actually the calories, don’t necessarily love me.

The Line Triscuits are just shredded wheat in cracker form.

The Sinker – My GR friend Elyse recommended this book. Ha, she’s the one who complained today that I’m adding books to her TBR pile. Doesn’t she know that books to lovers of reading are worse than potato chips?

Some readers have watched Jim Gaffigan perform stand-up comedy and were disappointed that some of the material in Food: A Love Story is covered in
Diane
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, humorous
Warning: Do not read this book when you are hungry. The discussions of pizza, cheeseburgers, bacon, doughnuts, steak, and all kinds of yummy foods could break your diet.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan loves food and talks a lot about it in his standup routines, including his popular bit on Hot Pockets. This fun book talks about the different foods he likes and dislikes, and his favorite restaurants around the United States. I was tickled to note that I had eaten at a few of the places he mentioned, and fi
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

Oh Jim Gaffigan, how you make me laugh! I've never read a book by Gaffigan before, but I loved Food: A Love Story ALMOST as much as I love his stand-up.

What it's about: Jim Gaffigan literally writes/talks about food for hours.

I listened to this book because I heard that Gaffigan was the narrator which lets face it, when Gaffigan is narrating I will listen. This was my very first audiobook and I no longer think listening to a book is "cheating", it takes a lot to completely concentrate w
Barbara
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

Jim Gaffigan is an American stand-up comedian, actor, and writer. His comedy routines are generally about fatherhood, indolence, being out of shape, and food. Gaffigan's books are based on his stand-up material, so if you've seen his shows or TV specials you know what to expect.

I read the author's first book, "Dad is Fat", and enjoyed the collection of fun anecdotes about Gaffigan and his wife Jeannie raising their five kids in a two-bedroom New York City apartment. In this second book, Gaffigan
Mischenko
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Food: A Love Story is another great book by comedian and actor Jim Gaffigan.

This is seriously a laugh-out-loud book. Some of this is repeated from his stand up, but I don't care.

Give me more Gaffigan, and spray cheese!

5*****
Mara
It is because I like Jim Gaffigan so much that I enjoyed this book so little. With his last book, Dad Is Fat , I put part of the blame on the topic (fathering five children), and some of the fact that I read (and did not listen to) the book. So, I thought I was being clever by listening to Food: A Love Story .

It turns out, I was not clever enough. Why? Because, for me, this was almost all material that I have heard Jim do—just delivered in a slightly less funny manner. Now here's where t
Ashley
Oct 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this. But I think Jim Gaffigan and I just feel just too differently about food for me to find much humor in this. I would never consider myself a foodie, but the foods we love/hate are completely opposite. So after the great introduction, which had me laughing out loud, the jokes fell flat after a few chapters. I gave it a good shot tho, making it over 100 pages, and skipping forward a few more chapters just to double check but no...I just could not enjoy this book.

It do
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you love food, you WILL love this book.

If you don't love food, there is something wrong with you.
Licha
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Much funnier than his first book, Dad Is Fat. Maybe because food is a subject we can all relate to no matter what age. With Dad Is Fat, I felt like I was over having raised a small child, so it was more painful to have to read about someone else's excruciating thoughts on child-rearing. Been there, done that, no need to read on it. Or maybe I was just tired of hearing one too many stories about how cute someone else's child is. I work with someone who must tell everyone everything about what her ...more
Randee
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, humor
Freakin' hilarious. I highly recommend listening to Mr. Gaffigan read it on Audible. It's like going to one of his stand up shows. I think he is funny no matter what he talks about, but in my opinion he is at his best when he talks about food. I listened during work with ear buds plugged into my iPhone and it made for a very pleasurable work day. I burst out laughing countless times. Food is something we all can relate to in one way or the other but his spin cracks me up because truth is strange ...more
Liza Fireman
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is really funny, if I would add a quote of everywhere I laughed out loud, that would be a very long review. Jim Gaffigan loves junk food, his food choices are quite similar to kids choices (and he doesn't like sea food or any fish, that made me empathize with him quite easily). He is not a foodie, he is an eatie. Foodies seem to be on a never-ending search for new restaurants and interesting dishes. I don’t have an insatiable desire to discover what makes something taste good or to fin ...more
Emmy Groendyke
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
I like Jim Gaffigan, I think he's a very talented pretty comedian and enjoy watching his stand up if I ever come his specials on Comedy Central. I chuckled at a few parts in this book an always enjoy reading about food but I got a bit bored after a while with this novel. I also got really tired of hearing about his wife and beautiful and amazing she is, was she standing over Jim's shoulder the entire time he was writing this book? I enjoyed the conversational writing style and how quick each cha ...more
Ammara Abid
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
~ When someone orders a salad at lunch, it's presented as the decision of a martyr giving up their happiness to the waiter. ~Jim

This book is delicious and hilarious. :) (3.45/5)
Written by Jim Gaffigan, A steak eater; the manly eater, who's an eatie not a foodie & the only time he stop eating is when he's sleeping. :D He'll make you travel from BBQ land to steakland to foodland to seabug land to coffeland and what not.
It is definitely a love story of an eatie about his favourite and not so
Noah Nichols
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does its one job profoundly well. It makes me want to eat more. And that's a great thing (well, it's bad too). I don't think I'm alone in this opinion here, but lemme just say—or type, rather—that food is amazing in all its bountiful concoctions...and author/comedian Jim Gaffigan is steadily enjoyable throughout this love letter-like romp of his. Gaffigan's pointed views on bottled water, fish, and salads are right on the money, among many other hilarious musings. I loved listening to ...more
Sara
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
There were moments in this book that were laugh out loud funny and other moments that elicited a "huh?" response from me. I got it - lets laugh at ourselves as we consume vast quantities of fast food. I kept thinking "Is Jim Gaffigan really THAT addicted to fast food?" Then again, I also now have such a craving for McDonald's that I will definitely be going there this week. Thank you, Hot Pockets. I haven't been to the golden arches in years.

I'd like to make a few observations about this book.

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I have to say that getting this in audio, read by Jim Gaffigan is the way to go. I popped those CD's in while I was in the car and it was a blast. I've loved this comedian for such a long time. His standup is better than his books, but these are great too.

The first half was the best for me. There were sections in the middle that were just, eh. But then he'd get on a topic that was hilarious and I would be cracking up.

He riffs on every kind of food, and every kind of food related activity out the
PorshaJo
Hmm...I went back and forth with this book. In the beginning, I found this hysterical. But after awhile, no so much. I don't know Jim Gaffigan or his comedy. I picked this one up as it was about food and I heard a good bit about it. It is definitely about food, but I think in the end, just not the kind of food I eat. I try to eat whole grain and eat vegan, and this was more about fast foods, bbque, junkfoods, etc. I love to read any books about food, but this one just after some time became a bi ...more
Melodie
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I like Jim Gaffigan , I love food. This book should have been a no-brainer.Not a treatise on the subject but rather a collection of Jim's thoughts on one of his favorite things. And there were some very funny ,occasionally thoughtful points made.
It read to me like one of his stand-up routines, but the delivery was forced and flat at times. I enjoyed the pictures that went long with the script,his kids are adorable. Overall, I give this one 2.7 , rounded up to 3.
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Jim Gaffigan's second book is just as funny as DAD IS FAT. An easy, hilarious read!
Snotchocheez
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

(apologies to my vegan/vegetarian friends)

I doubt anyone would confuse Jim Gaffigan for an epicure. (The cover's Gaffigan/Hot Dog marriage should dispel any doubts as to what direction Gaffigan's culinary love goes). I'm not sure what I was expecting (as I'm really picky about stand-up comedy, and have never once watched any of his gigs; the only thing I'd seen him in was an episode of Portlandia, appropriately enough: selling stew from a trailer https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6w7YpLD...
Alissa Patrick
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Jim Gaffigan is one of my favorite comics. Not only is he funny, but he also comes off as a normal guy (living in a NYC 2-bedroom apartment with his wife and 5 small kids). I knew this book was going to be a delight, and I was right.

Warning: Don't listen or read this book while hungry. I was craving BBQ while listening to it at work haha.

He covers a lot about food (no surprise there!), and there's lot of good sections. Ex. He covers food geographically ex Chicago deep dish pizza, Texas
Krystal
Oct 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Not gonna finish. I don't find his take on food particularly useful or funny (can you tell I'm desperately searching for the point...?) he goes into weird tangents about coffee, french fries, and other awesome food/drink products that have nothing to do with how great or lame the food itself is. For example:

Coffee-Starbucks barista/customer rants.

French fries-awkward mentioning of the freedom fries movement. Really? Nothing about all the delicious variants of fries, but you'll mention that?

He
Elizabeth
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved, loved, loved Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan so have been looking forward to his new book, Food; A Love Story ever since I heard about it coming out!

This book is a laugh out loud, cheer me up on a bad day, I never want it to end type of book! Maybe it's because I love food, but I could relate so well to everything that Jim jokes about. Reading his book made me hungry for a doughnut. And some cheese. And food in general.

I like how he can be funny without being crude or vulgar. He has clean co
Madeline K. Worrell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor

I love Jim as a narrator! He is so good! He entertains me with his voices, his passion, his comedy. I personally give him a 5.

But, his material was about a 3.

He talks strictly about food for almost 8 hours: ALL food; hence the title! Hahaha.

Madison Mega-Mara...: # 73 Food: A Love Story 1 3 Jan 04, 2018 07:19AM
Around the Year i...: Food: A Love Story, by Jim Gaffigan 2 16 Sep 07, 2016 08:21PM
Eat, Drink, Read: Recipe Pairing- Food: A Love Story 1 6 Jul 22, 2015 02:05PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Food: A Love Story by Jim Gaffigan 3 16 May 21, 2015 09:00AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #12 - Food: A Love Story 1 4 Apr 03, 2015 07:38AM
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Live Right and Find Happiness (Although Beer is Much Faster): Life Lessons and Other Ravings from Dave Barry
  • The American Plate: A Culinary History in 100 Bites
  • No Land's Man
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • Good Talk, Dad: The Birds and the Bees...and Other Conversations We Forgot to Have
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
  • Familyhood
  • Best Food Writing 2013
  • The Dangerous Animals Club
  • Tip It!: The World According to Maggie
  • Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours
  • That Book about Harvard: Surviving the World's Most Famous University, One Embarrassment at a Time
  • Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good: A Memoir of Food and Love from an American Midwest Family
  • The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide
  • Bloom County Episode XI: A New Hope
  • Crap Taxidermy
  • Point Your Face at This: Drawings
Jim Gaffigan was born in Elgin, Illinois, and raised in Chesterton, Indiana. He attended La Lumiere School in La Porte, Indiana. He is the youngest of six children and often jokes about growing up in a large family. He attended Purdue University for one year, where he was a member of the Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity. He graduated from Georgetown University's McDonough School of Business in 1988. Aft ...more
“I like to think coffee comes from beans; therefore, it’s a vegetable.” 22 likes
“I’m convinced that anyone who doesn’t like Mexican food is a psychopath.” 18 likes