Start by marking “Desperately Ever After (Desperately Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
Desperately Ever After (Desperately Ever After, #1)

Desperately Ever After

(Desperately Ever After #1)

AMAZON #1 bestseller for both WOMEN'S FICTION FANTASY and HUMOR! National Indie Excellence Awards FINALIST!

Imagine what might happen if our most beloved fairy tale princesses were the best of friends and had the dreams, dilemmas, and libidos of the modern woman. How would their stories unfold after the wedding bells stopped ringing? Set in a fictional realm based on New
Published February 1st 2014 (first published January 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Desperately Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desperately Ever After

Start your review of Desperately Ever After (Desperately Ever After, #1)
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Disney Princess girl power madness

E-copy giveaway at Tea Party Princess.

This was freaking EXCELLENT! Seriously. When I first started this book I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Take a cast of traditional fairy-tale princesses, familiar to every Disney fan, and smoosh them all together into a wacky union of pretty modern kingdoms where they all rule together and then watch everything go to shit. It's wonderful. I had so so much fun reading it and it really made my day.

My favourite
Christina
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
Ever wonder what happened after the happily ever after—and what would happen if our childhood fairy tale princesses were of our modern times? Debut author Laura Kenyon explores just those questions in her recently released, “Desperately Ever After”. In this tome, the fairy tale princesses are best friends and living in a New York City-like realm. Think “Sex and the City”, replete with cheating spouses, rampant libidos and modern day dramas with a splash of fairy tale fantasy.

It’s been years
Melodie
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This debut work explores what happens after "happily ever after" in the fantasy world of Snow White,Sleeping Beauty,Cinderella,Rapunzel,Beauty and the Beast and the Princess and the Pea.
Ten years after all the magic happened, the girls and their men are facing a severe reality check. Not all is well in the fairy tale realm. Infidelity, real and suspected along with secrets and lies galore are rife. The girls are living their dream and finding that all that glitters is easily tarnished.
We
Whitney
I started following Laura Kenyon’s blog a month or so ago and love it. She’s so fun! I love that she’s a redhead like me and she has a dog! ;) She offered to send me an e-copy of her book in exchange for an honest review. http://laurakenyon.com/

I absolutely loved this book. Anything fairy tale-ish/princess-y is right up my alley. Laura focuses on a few of the major princesses: Belle, Rapunzel, Cinderella, Penelopea, and (Dawn) Sleeping Beauty. I love how she takes the different princesses and
Irene
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

This book was a bit slow for me to get into during the first quarter of the book. I found myself putting it down a few times. I'm not sure if it was because the opening scene (involving Belle) wasn't appealing to me or if I just had to get used to the playful tone of the story, but it didn't completely grab my attention till a quarter of the way through. But once things started to pick up, I was hooked. I couldn't put it down.

There were quite a lot of funny parts that had me snickering. I
Kristy Gillespie
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laura Kenyon's Desperately Ever After is part Disney princess, part Sex in the City, and part TMZ Celebrity Gossip Site...and it's fabulous! Cinderella, (Cindy) Rapunzel, Belle, Penelope (Princess and the Pea) Snow White, and Dawn (Sleeping Beauty) are modern day princesses in their late to early 30's (although Rapunzel is technically a socialite) with modern day problems which are highlighted in Perrin Hildebrand's gossip column in The Marestam Mirror. Hildebrand says "Loyal readers of the ...more
Karen Klein
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! I started this yesterday and just finished - It's that kind of book! I didn't want it to end and when I got to the last page I couldn't believe that it was over, BUT turning to the next page was extremely happy to find out that there will be a sequel coming out this summer. I will be looking for it as soon as it comes out (there were some things left hanging!). Also, while reading this book, I became a part of it......... and for me, becoming so immersed in a book where I can actually ...more
Cathy
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-read
Desperately Ever After by Laura Kenyon is an absolutely delightful book that continues beyond..."and they lived happily ever after." She brings together some of the most prominent princesses in fairy tales and allows to enter their thoroughly modern lives. Belle, Cinderella, Penelopea, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White are presented as intelligent women who encounter the realistic consequences of their fairy tale lives. Kenyon put much thought into how each character's specific affliction ...more
Ana Meireles Pereira
This is a Goodreads First Reads Review.

This book is a different take on the fairytale characters we all know and love, and what happens after the expected Happily Ever After.
I found this book a very easy and light read, endlessly entertaining. With that sad, I found some characters way better developed than others. I did adore Rapunzel and Belle, but Dawn and Cinderella were just as dull as their lives. Ethan and Rapunel ended up having the most interesting relationship, although I'm still a
Lisa
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book! As a fairy tale reader from an older generation, I clearly remember the book of fairy tales that I had as a child. It had all the beloved characters that are in Desperately Ever After, with the exception of Belle. I would read these stories over and over again but never thinking about the characters in any way other than how they were in their stories. After reading Desperately Ever After, these characters came to life to me in a way I had never thought ...more
Lauren
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Disney princesses meets desperate housewives...two of my favorites :) I really enjoyed this book. Some nights I got to bed way to late because of it, but it is okay. No spoilers. I tried to win this book and I wanted it so much I ended up getting it. It is a great book and I would definitely recommend it to any older teens and adults who love sex in the city, desperate housewives, and Disney princesses.
Elaine
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to begin reading!
Kim Power
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snarky, smart, compassionate

Like Into the Woods, but not. It's as clever. Creates its own fairytale world that blends modernity with Once Upon a Time, but allows for HEA, eventually. Well written and edited. Highly recommended.
Christina
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chick-lit

It’s been years
Cassey
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An all round great read of what happened after the "and they lived happily ever after", with lots of laugh out loud moments.
Celia Kennedy
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ms. Kenyon has cleverly gathered all our favorite fairy tale princesses and transformed them into modern day women facing the challenges of balancing motherhood, careers, and ruling their kingdoms. This formidable group of women face the same ups and downs as many of us, including maintaining their perfect figures and faces, with the added pressure of having to live happily ever after.

My absolute all-time favorite fairytale is Beauty and the Beast (the absolute zenith of love conquering all). In
Nancy Murphy
I would actually give this a 4.5 star rating.

Our favorite fairy tales meet a Sex in the City setting. The good the bad and the not so ugly are all here. We know the stories but did "happily ever after" happen.

I will start off by saying that I love fairy tale retelling and re-imaginings. That is what drew me to the book, and so glad that it did. Laura Kenyon took the stories we already know and tweaked them to her own.

I have to say in this I love Rapunzel and Belle outright. Those two are the
Alba
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://addictivechicklit.blogspot.com...

I am a huge fan of Disney and well, fairy tale princesses in general so when I read the blurb of this book I did a little happy dance (true story) and I knew it was my kind of book. But wow! I loved it. Laura Kenyon brings the well known princesses to a contemporany fairy tale version of NYC (I'd love to see Cinderella's Castle in the NY skyline) and continues their story ten years later.

Their happily ever after is not so happy
Sarah Chang
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first read the premise of the story, I was very excited. As an avid fairy tale fan (and Belle is my all-time-favorite of all Disney princesses), AND Sex and the City fan, I could not wait to get my hands on a copy of the book!

I was hooked from the get go! I love the combination of the many fairy tale characters with a modern day twist-- and I particularly love how Marestam is fashioned after New York City complete with all the boroughs!

To be honest, as an avid Beauty and the Beast fan,
Angelica Dimeo
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I bought this book from Amazon.
I liked how this book twists well know stories
and makes them much more exciting.
Who says Happily ever after lasts forever?
Cindy is approaching 30 and feels like she has accomplished
nothing on her list.
Rapunzel does not want to fall in love again so she is never serious.
Belle's Happily Ever after is Hijacked after her husband's affair.
Penelope is planning her mother in laws party and feels like she is living a lie.
Snow white is a recluse.
All in all the book is very
Alice

I wanted to LOVE this book, but it didn't quite make it for me. It is, however, entertaining and well worth the read. I'll definitely continue the series.
Tawnya
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Desperately Ever After is a book for after the fairy tale is over. Laura Kenyon put a marvelous spin on all of the characters stories. This was a book that once I got into I couldn't put it down.
Tamara
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Picture the women in the classic fairy tales and then drop them in modern times. Laura Kenyon was absolutely brilliant with her relatable and sassy take on these classics. The stories we were told as kids always had the princes being the rescuers and princesses the damsel in distress. Not something I could actually relate to as a little girl. Then here comes Laura, to paint the picture many women can grasp and understand,

We have Belle, Rapunzel, Dawn, Cinderella and Penelope; each with
Jackie
From a combination of reading children's books, watching television show versions all the way to Walt Disneys movie adaptations the stories of our favorite fairytale princesses happy ever after endings have entertained multitudes of fans of all ages.

Now we have been given a realistic imagining of what it could be like for these ladies years later.

From new beginnings to second chances the range of emotional ups and downs that these sisters of the heart experience allow the reader to share in the
Monique Snyman
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! I couldn’t put Desperately Ever After down, once I started reading. As a huge fan of fairy tale princesses, I loved reading about their lives in a post-Happily Ever After setting.

While I could go on to tell why I found the book so funny, I won’t, because it’ll be a bit spoiler-ish. That being said, what readers can expect is a fun read with important underlying themes.

All in all, a must-read for anyone searching for something a tad lighter, a LOT funnier, and much different to an
Helena
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed with this one. I’ve had it on my to read list for a long time and was very excited to finally read it, but I expected more. I enjoyed to concept and but I got very annoyed with Some of the characters - mainly Belle. It wasn’t a terrible read I just expect more. I may give book 2 a try.
Jennifer Ingraham
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a nice, light read. I enjoyed seeing the other side of the princess'. It has a little of everything in it. (i.e. peril, romance, drama). It's part sex and the city and part Disney princess.
Tabi
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It took a little bit to get into, and there's a few characters that haven't been developed enough to connect with. We'll see what the next book brings.
Missy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fun read. Interesting take on the happy ever after theme.
« previous 1 3 next »
99 CENTS THIS WEEKEND! 1 7 May 30, 2014 05:00AM
Looks intriguing- can't wait to read it! 2 6 Mar 08, 2014 10:07AM

• Beauty from Pain (Beauty, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • Paperbacks From Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction
  • This Man (This Man, #1)
  • The Book of M
  • The Fifth Petal
  • Romancing the Werewolf (Supernatural Society, #2)
Like so many women today, I grew up on Disney films and fairy tales. But as wonderful as these were at the time, they always left me wondering what came next. How did Cinderella feel ten years down the road, when her iconic ball gown no longer fit and she had four kids, royal duties up the wahzoo, and a husband who was hardly ever around? How long did it take Beast to return to his old ways when ...more

Desperately Ever After (3 books)
  • Damsels in Distress (Desperately Ever After, #2)
  • Skipping Midnight (Desperately Ever After, #3)
“Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale.” — Hans Christian Andersen” 1 likes
“I was the escape you needed at the time, but that’s all. That’s why you kept looking for someone else, and why I had to censor myself to fit you. We aren’t made for the long haul,” 0 likes