Start by marking “Thief (The Scarab Beetle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thief (The Scarab Beetle, #1)

Thief

(The Scarab Beetle #1)

Kayli Winchester is a dirt-poor girl living out of a hotel, forced to be the parent for a drunken father and teenage brother who she’s desperate to keep in school. The only way she scrapes by is to utilize her one skill: pickpocketing. But even though she’s a thief she has a moral code: no kids or old ladies, only targets who can defend themselves. Not that they see her co ...more
Published February 26th 2014 by Arcato Publishing (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Thief, please sign up.
Nina Vescoso You really Dont Have to. Im Pretty Sure the two series might interact but i really think you wont have to.

Marga
Actual Rating: 1.5/5 stars

This book is just BLOODY, BLOODY AWFUL.

That .5 star was for making me laugh at times. This book is seriously messed-up! The beginning was okay but it went downhill very, very fast. I dived to this book expecting something like Heist Society (I LOVE Ally Carter!) but what I did I bloody get? My. Worst. Freaking. Nightmare.

Here are the things that made me disliked this book:

1. Kayli Winchester

OMG. This character is just..

[image error]

I can’t even.. -_- So, first things f
Sparkling
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Scarab Beetles have arrived...And what a NICE introduction we got to Axel!

The blue-eyed/green-eyed MARC, so commanding! (I'll do whatever those eyes tell me to do.)

description

Love Raven's tattoos, and his "Don't give a *#&$%!" attitude.

description

Why are your eyes so sad, Brandon?

description

So happy and fun-loving, just wanna hang with you all day, Corey.

description

The Academy is monitoring one of Charleston's richest playboys. Why does he stay out all night and roam the worst parts of town? What nefarious deeds is he up to? Is he
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Arcato Publishing and Netgalley.)

This book ->

I don’t even know where to start with this book. I cannot even put into words how much I disliked this, but I’m going to try. I apologise in advance if I have to leave you with my status updates!

Kayli. Kayli, Kayli, Kayli. Where do I even start? I don’t think I have ever come across a character who snogged as many boys in one book as she did, or slept in
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeGr2xBbysb_zpsf74bc1bb.gif

FREE today on Amazon US (11/19/2014)

BLURB:

Thinking she’s been working under the radar, Kayli has no idea The Academy ha
Anna M.
I can't read this.... There are so many inconsistencies in this book, it makes you wonder if anyone edited it at all. I can overlook the spelling errors and even the grammatical mistakes, but there are just some things that make me angry. When I have to go back a paragraph and re-read because I'm doubting my comprehension, then this book isn't for me.
Example: "I left the apartment wearing the dress and my boots. They’d forgotten to buy shoes. Boys."
Then, on the same page!: “We need to pick up s
Juliana
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***Spoiler Alert***
____________________
OMG!!!
I couldn't believe it!!!
Wil, Kayli's brother, is the Wil in the first academy series "goast bird"!!! He's the kid Sang kept running into... not literally.
XD

***Spoiler Alert 2***
____________________
When Kayli shot Marc in the leg with the nail gun, he went to the academy hospital.
In "Drop of Doubt", Sang is told to take a nail out of a guys leg by Sean Green. The guy says that one of his teammates missed while using the nail gun. The "teammate" the
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
Let me sum up this book for you - or at least what I read before I quit and what I saw during skimming a bit.

(Btw I have the suspicion I spelled some names wrong - but you know what? I don't give a shit.)

GimmeAllTheWerdssss
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 I think I can get behind this stars...

First let me say that this book, series, and subject matter is not for everyone. This series is about a Reverse Harem (RH) meaning that there is one woman and multiple men all in a singular committed relationship.

I was unaware until recently that there was even such a thing. A friend simply stated there was a book series about one woman and 9 extremely hot men (please note that the series I was originally directed to was CL's Ghost Bird series). So, be
Marguerite (M)
Rating : TBA
DNF the first time

Kayli is an idiot.
Kayli is a moron.
Kayli is judgemental.
Kayli makes bad decisions.
Lots of bad decisions.

But Kayli is actually a lot more realistic than Sang.
Kayli questions the world around her.
Kayli might make bad decisions but only because we know the guys are the good one. She does not.
She does not believe everything the random dudes she just met tell her. She wants to find the truth.
She find a little weird that the guys blow stuff/carry guns/break into private p
Linda
May 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, annoying-heroine
So this review is gonna be long because it contains quite a lot of quotes.

It started out so good. Interesting story, intriguing plot and diverse characters. But then I got beyond the first 15%.

Kayli is so infuriatingly annoying and extremely childish. She’s had a tough life, I get it. She’s starved for attention and affection. But does she have to flirt and cling to all the guys in this story? I liked the story in the beginning, and I didn’t start to dislike Kayli until she was starting to get t
Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink*
C.L. Stone has done it again.

Thief is another branch of the Academy story line and this one is a lot more intense than the Ghost Bird series. The main character, Kayli, is older and wiser than Sang and she is a lot more "of the world". The boys are older as well and much more dangerous than our good clean cut Ghost Bird boys. Frankly, I like this edginess. It's what we all wanted from the Ghost Bird series but felt a little weird about since they are only 16.

These guys fill the stereotypes that
Booknut
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
"We're the good guys, little thief. Stop talking like you're trying to figure out if we're not."
"Bad guys think they're good guys, too."

The corner of his mouth lifted. "Guess it depends on where your morals are, or which side of the law you're on. You've been on the bad guys' side too long."

"I'm not-" I stopped short, realising I was falling into what I was just telling him. "I had good reasons."

"There's always a reason."
Kayli Winchester is a conundrum.

She's a thief with a conscience, picking
Pao
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My harem of Academy guys keeps growing and I don't feel any guilt about it :D. Thief is as amazing as any of the books from The Academy but with a different group of guys, a different bird and a whole lot more action compared to the first book from the Ghost Bird series.

The new crew of Academy guys is older and rougher, but they're as HOT and smart as the other guys: First we have Axel, the sexy leader of the team that is introduced to us in a very particular completely naked way. Then there's M
Melissa
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: frequent-re-read
AAAAH!!

:Kermit flail:

I was feeling rather jealous on behalf of Sang's team when I heard about this series, but I'm already in love with Kayli and the others. I like Kayli. She's brave and good while still being realistic (sorry, Rose Hathaway). And I'm really enjoying the new adult direction...more danger, more sexy times. Yissssssss.

And do I really need to say how much I'm enjoying the boys? ;) Rawr.

I'm also loving the little overlaps with the Ghost Bird series. I shouted out loud when I realiz
Catherine
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I couldn't finish this book. The writing was okay, though in need of editing ('I shivered warmly' should never be a sentence in any book, ever). I just couldn't connect to the main character and I felt that her reactions to everything was very unrealistic. She was flirting and joking with all of the guys after they practically abducted her. It just didn't seem very real, and though I happily read fantasy and other books like that, the characters still need to make sense. Kaylie didn't.

The intro
Serena (The Book Comedian)

Read to 40% and skimmed to 49%

There were so many "OH PLEASE" moments; like several on every kindle page.

Kayli downplayed everything about herself; she downplayed how pretty she was, how smart she was, etc. etc. but the whole time you know she knows she's the shit.

Oh and she is also DTF for every available guy, which was no less then 6 guys even though she says if she had a boyfriend she would never put herself in a comprising situation, OH PLEASE, I call bullshit.

The author is seriously pretty g
Mel
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, hhbc-read
Great read! I can't wait to see what happens with Kayli's and her boys. CL did again!
Jeanny
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 shortage of beds stars.
Cliffhanger warning ⚠
Hold tight to your suspension of disbelieve hat while reading this book.
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marc and his Academy team are tasked with capturing a pickpocket; they get more than they bargained for when they find Kayli. She steals to pay the rent and is trying to hold things together just long enough for her brother to make it to college - she really doesn't like stealing. The team makes her a deal - pick one rich guy's pocket and they will pay her rent and help her find a real job so she doesn't have to steal anymore. Of course, taking the wallet just leads to more questions about the b ...more
Beth
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A new adult story and a spin off from The Ghost Bird series by from the wonderful writer and author C. L. Stone. Thief actually runs parrell to Drop of Doubt interweaving the storylines. Amazingly, more is revealed in Thief about the secretive Academy then in all the first 5 books of The Ghost Bird series. Giving me a greater understanding and more invested interest in both storylines outcomes.

It seems once again we have the potential for another polyamorous plot highlighted with a secret societ
taveena kade
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
i forgot how much I loved this series!!!
Taryn
Warning! There will be spoilers for Thief, as well as possible spoilers for Stone's Ghost Bird series, up to Forgiveness and Permission.

I am so torn. You see, Sang is such a godawful protagonist that I just want to bore a rusty screwdriver into my temple to escape her mind-numbing idiocy. However, this story wouldn't work with a more confident, self aware girl. Sang basically has to be a complete and utter doormat to make anything that happens in this series semi-believable, because I don't know
Syd
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy Fuck!!!! Can't FRICKEN WAIT!!!!
Gabbie (Rampant Readers)
Favorite quotes

“‘Sometimes you tell yourself a lie so much, you start to believe it. Sometimes when you’re in the middle of shit, you need a lie to keep you sane until you can get out again.’”

“What was it about this group that I simply felt comfortable among them even when my brain told me I shouldn’t be?”

Why I picked it up

I read the synopsis once I saw this novel on Netgalley, and it reminded me of super spies, and I love spy novels.

Plot

This novel was definitely full of action and thrills. Kay
Celeste
Ok, this series is just... terribly written. I mean it really, really needs a good dose of editing and something to deal with all the plot inconsistencies. These are problems that continue through the series too. That and the fact that everything happens in a couple of days make it too insta-lovey for my tastes.

I also feel like I've read this plot in another book somewhere. With the kidnapping and the 5 hot guys (Kevin so doesn't count).

And yet I'm giving it a 3 star rating. Why, you may ask. A
Jen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Look, let's be honest. MOST GIRLS really like reading or watching reverse harem for reasons that are obvious.

Looking at it objectively, Kayli is a moron for getting involved in shit like this as well as kissing all those boys. But my little girl heart can't help but sympathise with her situation as well as squeal at every encounter she was with the boys.

This book is for killing time. Don't expect any wonderful amazing plot twists or shit like that. It's perfect for me right now since I'm stuck
Kaila Fitz
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
C.L. Stone has done it again.

“I hated pickpocketing. I hated feeling like a thief.”

Living in a hotel room with their drunk of a father, Kayli Winchester and her brother, Wil, don't have an easy life. Sometimes the hunger can get too much and they always seem to be a dollar short. Of course, that's not too surprising since their father spends any money he gets on drink and their mother left when they were younger.

Kayli has had to step up. Dropping out of school years ago, she's tried to find wo
Stacey Brutger
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
DESCRIPTION:
3.5 Stars

Kayli Winchester is a dirt-poor girl living out of a hotel, forced to be the parent for a drunken father and teenage brother who she’s desperate to keep in school. The only way she scrapes by is to utilize her one skill: pickpocketing. But even though she’s a thief she has a moral code: no kids or old ladies, only targets who can defend themselves. Not that they see her coming...

Thinking she’s been working under the radar, Kayli has no idea The Academy has been watching and
Iris (Artemis Library)
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing very addicting!

We where following (stalking) C.L. Stone for her amazing YA series, The Ghost Bird. Always asking… What if… this would not have been a YA. Guess what. The same script, only now they are some what adults there is some more kissing and fun scenes… Make room for the New Adult Series :) THE SCARAB BEETLE!

PC_logo_red_black_small

Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews & FREE Book reviews E-Magazine

www.paranormalcravings.com

Sam Lee
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Watch out kids there is a new bird in town. Thief is a must read for anyone who loves the academy series! Everything we have learnt this far is slowly coming together. Hold onto your panties ladies there is definitely something in the Academy Kool aid. Welcome to a more adult, sexy and funny Academy.
Expect cameos, story line crossings and a whole lot of sexual tension, its an all dog team and we are feeling those god damn wiggly sparks! ;)

• Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Love and Decay 2, Episode Eleven (Love and Decay 2, #11)
  • Circle of Lies (Red Ridge Pack,#2)
  • Pyxis (The Stardust Series, #3)
  • Angel Blackwood (FairyTales Don't Exist, #2)
  • Psi Another Day (Psi Fighter Academy, #1)
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Eve and Adam: Chapters 1-5
  • Half Moon
  • Drop Dead Demons (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #2)
  • (Once) Again (Again, #2)
  • Down Outback Roads (Outback Dust #2)
  • Lead Heart (Seraph Black, #3)
  • Impenetrable (New World, #3)
  • Brokenly Found (Faith, #2)
  • Will The Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up?
C. L. Stone likes :chocolate_bar: and #findingburiedtreasure. Her books are about :revolving_hearts: and @dark_themes and #chocolatechippancakes.

If lots of book boyfriends scare you...run. Run now.

The Scarab Beetle (6 books)
  • Liar (The Scarab Beetle, #2)
  • Fake (The Scarab Beetle, #3)
  • Accessory (The Scarab Beetle, #4)
  • Hoax (The Scarab Beetle, #5)
  • Tempest (The Scarab Beetle, #6)
“I was hunting a thief, and I found a beautiful wreck.” 25 likes
“Aw,” Raven said. He planted a palm on my head and massaged my scalp. “Little thief, don’t worry about it. I’ve got you now.” 18 likes