Start by marking “Valley of Fires (Conquered Earth, #3)” as Want to Read:
Valley of Fires (Conquered Earth, #3)

Valley of Fires

(Conquered Earth #3)

The sci-fi tour de force series set in an alien-invaded post-apocalyptic world concludes as the teens must unite Earth’s disparate survivors to overthrow its alien invaders once and for all.

Earth has been conquered by an alien race known as the Assembly. The human adult population is gone, having succumbed to the Tone—a powerful, telepathic super-signal broadcast acro
Published December 2nd 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books

Tyler
FINISHED.

THIS IS A PRE-REVIEW, WITH NO SPOILERS. ALL NAMES ARE OMITTED FROM QUOTES.FULL REVIEW AFTER I READ THE FINAL VERSION.

"We all face moments like that. Choices that lie between us and what we have to do. The point where you have to decide to keep going forwards... or just stay where you are and burn. Wind Traders call that place the Valley of Fires."

This book is easily the best thing to happen to books since the Severed Tower
Hermes Aponte
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This series was so good. I think this IS the series with the biggest character development ever. Everyone came out different from how they started: they learned, grew, changed... It was good knowing how experiences can affect the way we see things, and this book really held on to that premise. You could see all the character's different phases without necessarily being inside their head like in a first person point of view book. That is called good writing.

Every book was so different, yet
Piseog
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it

This author puts so much work into these books. It is a different series and intelligent and I love Mira and Holt. The action and epic battles are amazing. However, it isn't an easy read. Far from it. It can get quite complicated with the overly descriptive writing and many, many characters. Mira and Holt were separated for most of this book, but as I got into their separate stories I enjoyed it. My biggest problem was with the character of Zoey. I still don't understand how
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This last book took the characters in different directions rather than keeping their adventures together as a group. It also seemed slightly slow at times, although I never did get bored and that's only because there were battles and more battles and heavy description of them.

But overall it was an amazing adventure. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, wondering who and if Mitchell was going to kill off characters. He just knows how to write a great story!

I am sti
Angela Blount
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, ya

YA Steampunk Mad Max… with ALIENS!

This is the last book in the trilogy and, sadly, the first book I’ve read. (I promise to never do this again.) The book isn’t completely befuddling, but I can’t say it stands alone at all. Readers are thrown immediately into a high-pressure crisis with giant spider-like alien machines coming to destroy a post-apocalyptic city. It’s difficult to tell how old anyone is, as it’s never recapped. You gradually gather that there is something called The Ton
Michelle
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Appropriate for: age 14+
You will like this book if you like: Post apocalyptic stories, aliens, scifi, romance

I really liked the conclusion to this trilogy. Lots of battles, but they were trying to save the planet. I liked when the story went between the 3 main characters point of view, but the other extraneous character POV were kind of boring and I skimmed over them. No swear words (yay!) except the b word (for illegitimate child). Some grammar and spelling mistakes, especiall
Gabriel
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book took me a long time to read. It was a really slow book but that didnt take the fun of it.

Mitchell keeps making this world so interesting, this characters so incridible that i just cant get enough of it. I wanted more. But the book ended in perfect moment.

I actually dont know what to say here, just that this is a really good book with well writen characters and an amazing worldbuilding.

If you like scifi with aliens stuff, you are probablly going to li
Cheyenne
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
So I want to say thanks to St.Martin Press and NetGalley for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review. I personally didn't really like this book at all. I thought I would give it a chance because it said Aliens. I love books about Aliens not one book about Aliens let me down except this one. I don't think it was the story line or the plot that set me off. It was more of the authors writing style and how it was confusing for me. It dragged on for me and was a little slow.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I can't remember the last time I have fallen out with a series this bad. I loved the first one, the second was okay, and I just couldn't care about this one enough to even finish it. Not sure what happened but that's how it is...
Araseli
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series a lot. Good ending to finish off the story. Looking forward in seeing what else this author writes. Really like his writing style.
Cara
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the last book in the Conquered Earth series, I thought it ended well. I enjoyed the imagery of the world J. Barton Mitchell created. I could really envision what it looked like, sailing on a Land Ship and watching the world go by.

I enjoyed this series a lot.
Layla
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this whole series
Stephanie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm absolutely fascinated by the world Mr. Mitchell created in this trilogy and the character development (both primary and secondary) was pretty impressive as well. I loved having an in-depth look into each of the major societies and the strange lands and the unique ways these kids found to adapt to the "new world" they inhabited. Bonus points for the way Zoey's visions from Midnight City played out in Valley of Fires. I love that sort of continuity between books because it's a sign of either a ...more
grieshaber.reads
Actual rating: 3.5. The first two books of this Sci-Fi series kicked some serious butt, so I knew I would read book three at some point. I finally got around to picking up this book (it was released in 2014) at the end of Christmas Break, thinking I could knock it out really quickly and get back to my required Gateway committee reading. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Valley of Fires took me over a week to finish. Not a great sign. The first 200 pages of this 400 page book were slow and frus ...more
Frank Chillura
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy this review, please check out my blog at UtopiaNeverComes.blogspot.com

-------------------------

A non-stop action packed finally to a series I have thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end, Valley of Fires was the perfect ending to Mitchell's series that began with Midnight City. What does the world look like after the invasion has already happened? How do the remaining humans cope with the loss of the life they have known? That is what this series has been ab
Tara Lazetic
Jun 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
In a final standoff to rescue Zoey and defeat the Tone J. Barton Mitchell's final novel in the Midnight City Trilogy packs a real emotional punch. Be ready.

After an explosion that separates Mira and Holt. Mira, convinced that Holt's dead, ventures west to bargain with the resistance group. But they have their own ideas..

Holt now travels with Ravan and Avril and must go back to the Menagerie pirate guild he must face the pirates and convince them to join him in his quest.

Will Holt and My
123theone
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
The bad: The writing never got better. The characterization got a little better, but not much. And the ending was cliche (the concept would have worked if it had been handled better), and altogether spoiled by the fact that I hated the romance between the two main characters during the entire series, and wished they would go back to their ex's.
The good: The world was still interesting, though it held less mysteries than the last two. The most mysterious things left were what the aliens are
Gautam Surath
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Barton take a bow. A very few are capable of producing a finale to top of the series and Valley of Fires seems such an apt title for this book almost like it was yours. I fell in love with all the characters and felt every emotion there was to feel. The series especially stands out for the way the aliens are represented and what being human is all about. Right up there with the Nexus series in my books this year. The Nonagon set piece and the Ambassador were the absolute brilliant pieces followe ...more
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series was so adventurous and creative from word one it's hard to review the finale on its own but this book, like its predecessors did not disappoint. After 3 books the characters still did not plateu, continuing to change through darkness and heartbreak. The Nanagon is so exciting and heartpounding and I kinda need to see this come to life in all its terrifying and bloody glory. The battle scenes are many, but always exciting and I loved the epic scope to each one. I've read a load of boo ...more
David Swager
This is a good conclusion to the series. If you liked the 1st 2 then you will like this one as well.

Spoiler

The big issue I have is the equivalency that the author tries to draw among all the characters. At Tiberius' end it seems like there is equivalency drawn with Gideon. But Gideon's kids lost their life to the Strange Lands while Tiberius killed his people. Ravan redeemed herself, but Ben never did. Ravan died for Holt, Ben only gave up the chance generator when Zoey a
Brie
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good ending to this trilogy. There were a few character deaths, all with much meaning, a lot of action, and the ending was a good one. I am glad I read this series and will miss the characters now that it has ended.
Izabela
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't believe how attached I got to all of the characters in this trilogy. I laughed, I cried, and I couldn't put this book down until I knew what happened. This is one of the absolute best YA trilogies I have read since the 90's.
Aurelia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
When I first pick up this book I thought it would be interesting and gripping and I would love it. But the super long narrative bored me to death. I got to about 20% in the story before I gave up and just put the book aside.
Amberly
OMG, I loved this trilogy and I loved this book. What a wonderful alien invasion and what a fantastic end to said invasion! I loved every minute of this book except the end. Why? Because it was the end!
MMMTP
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the book was great would give 4.5/5,
the book and its characters had very detailed explanation to what was happening was a very good plus,
the only thing i would like is an epilogue in the end or a small book after valley of fires,
Seeing Double in Neverland
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic finale to the series and J. Barton Mitchell gives you everything you need and more.

ARC Review to blog. Link below

Shelley
Apr 16, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-release
Published December 2nd 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books
Brianna
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as gave-up-on
This third book didn't pull me in like the first one, so I have to put it away, because I fear I'll be still reading it in two weeks.
Jocelyn Santiago
I cried like a baby when everything was resolved. If I'm not mistaken, this is a trilogy so I find it a good and happy ending that broke my heart <3

• Sand der Zeit (Wanderer #1)
  • Schicksalsbringer (Ich bin deine Bestimmung, #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in Serie, #1)
  • Earth Flight (Earth Girl, #3)
  • Kernstaub - Über den Staub an Schmetterlingsflügeln
  • Die letzte erste Nacht (Firsts, #3)
  • Water & Air
  • Was ich dich träumen lasse
  • Lark Ascending (Skylark, #3)
  • False Future (False Memory, #3)
  • Trick or Treat (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6.4)
  • Wanderers (Wasteland, #2)
  • Whisperworld
  • Mars Rising (Saving Mars #6)
  • Zurück nach Hollyhill (Hollyhill, #1)
  • Stigmata. Nichts bleibt verborgen
  • The Longest Night (Drake Chronicles, #6.5)

Conquered Earth (3 books)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • The Severed Tower (Conquered Earth, #2)