Start by marking “Missing, Presumed Evil (Troubletwisters, #4)” as Want to Read:
Missing, Presumed Evil (Troubletwisters, #4)

Missing, Presumed Evil

(Troubletwisters #4)

The next book in the gripping series from the fantasy masters … Magical twins, mystery and danger,
unexplained events, and an Evil that refuses to be contained
Twins Jaide and Jack Shield are finally settling into their roles as troubletwisters when an unexpected plea for help arrives from Grandma X’s twin Lottie, who they discover has been trapped in the realm of The Evil f
Paperback
Published May 1st 2014 by Allen & Unwin (first published April 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Missing, Presumed Evil, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

K.M. Carroll
Good end to the series! I wasn't sure where this series was headed, what with the foreshadowing dropped in earlier books. But this book was roundly satisfying. From the Evil dimension to Grandma X's real name, all was finally revealed. I read it aloud to my kids, and we were all hooked.

I hope they end the series here, because I think further books would detract from the high note this one ends on.

Edit: Also, Missing, Presumed Evil is a MUCH better title than The Missing. What dumb marketer thoug
Cecilia Rodriguez
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot seemed a little too close to "Subtitle Knife," for my taste.
Aleksander has something he calls Project Thunderclap, which he hopes will close off the bridge that allows the Evil access to Jack and Jaide's world.
The description of the home world comes from a movies scene in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
Over-all its a depressing read.
Natalie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really, really enjoyed reading this series. Although it might not have been quite as good as Nix's Old Kingdom series, I much preferred it to the Seventh Tower series, and it's almost as good as the Keys to the Kingdom series.

Not only was the philosophical reasoning very interesting and mature, the ending was not entirely predictable and I loved that.

I've not read any of Williams work before, but this is definitely a good piece from Nix. If you love Nix's writing, do give this series a go.
Nathan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent conclusion to a decent series.
Nada
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best of the series! Young adults will most definitely enjoy reading this series particularly if the Harry Potter series was within their reach. It's a great series and easy to relate to.
Shaheen
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
We’re back with Jack and Jaide for their darkest and most dangerous adventure yet. Missing, Presumed Evil is still full of wit and humour, but there’s a definite dark tinge to everything that happens, signalling how far the twins have come since we met them.

This book begins with a letter that almost strangles Jack in its eagerness to be read: Grandma X’s sister is still alive in the realm of The Evil, asking for a rescue. An exciting adventure follows, with our twin protagonists Jack and Jaide b
Ms. Yingling
Well, okay. Apparently, I really didn't like the first two books in this series. (Troubletwisters, The Monster). I'm also not an enormous fan of Lisa McMann's Unwanteds series or Whitesides Janitors. I opine all the time that there are too many fantasy books out there. So why do I read these? Why do I buy them? My students. While it is true in my library that there are fewer students who read fantasy books, the fantasy readers are insatiable and often will ONLY read fantasy. I do try to keep all ...more
Dark Matter
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nalini Haynes reviewed this book; for more reviews by Nalini, see Nalini Haynes on Dark Matter Zine.

Missing, Presumed Evil is the 4th in the Trouble Twisters series for children aged 8 to 12 by Garth Nix and Sean Williams. I previously reviewed The Monster and Mystery of the Golden Card, the 2nd and 3rd in the series respectively.

Jack and Jaide, the magical Troubletwister twins, discover an animated letter that attacks Jack in an effort to be read, revealing Grandma X’s twin sister is alive in
Rhondda Powling
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an entertaining adventure and a fitting conclusion to a good storyline.
The Troubletwister twins, Jack and Jaide, are still trying to combat "The Evil," the mysterious presence from another dimension. This is the darkest and most dangerous adventure so far with a dark tinge over much of what happens. The twins’ characters have grown up during the series and are less quarrelsome and more thoughtful, although there is still some humour in some of the things that happen and how the tw
Liana
...And so I guess this closes the Troubletwister series? OH MAH GOSH, THESE BOOKS - SO AMAZING. The Missing basically wraps up everything this series has been hiding since book 1, and I loved it all. Very satisfying. The ending was the best part for me, as I didn't foresee it turning out that way at all. It was unpredictable and even a little bittersweet. Jack and his friends going into the(view spoiler) I thought it would've been scarier ...more
Emily Craven
This is my favourite of the Trouble Twisters series and I find it hard to believe the Good reads blurb that says this is the final installment, there is at least one more book left that needs to be read. While this is a middle grade book (and aimed at an audience far younger than me) it still has delightful complexities woven into the non-stop suspense of the narrative. I think Williams and Nix do a brilliant job if fleshing out Jaide and Jack, and sending Jack to the realm of the Evil early in ...more
Brandi Rosales
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Junior High 6-8
Recommended to Brandi by: Scholastic Press
Jack and Jaide Shield have defended themselves against The Evil before -- but it's never been as dangerous as this. It isn't just the town of Portland that's threatened, it's the whole Earth . . . and certain dimensions beyond.

The Wardens have devised a plan to get rid of The Evil once and for all. The only problem is that destroying The Evil may also mean abandoning some innocent people -- including one of the twins.

The battle against The Evil is going to places it's never been -- places Jack a
Rick Mcarthur
Seriously disappointed to the level that I didn't even read on past the first chapter or two as after the initially excting 3 books to find that in this 4th installment the authors have let us down by making the two lead characters-the twins Jaide and her brother turn out to behave no better than spoilt little upstarts when confronted with all the other Wardens in the Hall of Mirrors is just awful, I cringed instantly in frustration and closed the thought of reading any further!
Lily
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few Garth Nix books endings that I liked. I mean, I liked the other books, but the endings just didn't seam to work for me. Although, I would like to know if Jaide and Stefano get together. And what the fourth Examination is. But No one died, Grandma X is good, and Lotte is back! I'd say that is a very good ending.
Sarah Schanze
Good book, nothing amazing, but nothing bad. Just in the middle. I don't know if I'll be continuing this series, but then I'm not sure it's even continuing at all. It kind of wrapped up nice and neatly, though there were a number of possibilities for future stuff too. Still, I don't think I'll read them anyway.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
April
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Jaime and Jack are tested to see how they are coming into their powers. At the same time they learn about Grandma X's twin sister and that she may be alive. Grand and scary adventure follows as the twins seek to find a way to stop the evil and save Grandma X's sister. Well done. This has been a good series with lots of action but good lessons too.
Shannon
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it

Oh Troubletwisters you sure do get yourselves into some big trouble. I love you Garth Nix, and while these are getting better they're still no Keys To The Kingdom. I'm not entirely sure I understand the ending. Im not sure I understand the how. Maybe kids will grasp the concept better than me but I'm confused with this complex concept.
Cara Noyes
Finished my first book of summer. It wasn't the conclusion I expected but now I know why she was called Grandma X! All 4 books were well written. I like how the non magical kids were sucked into the dark other world and how the 4 folks made it back to our reality.
Cecilia Rodriguez
The plot was a little too close to "Subtitle Knife" for my taste. When Jack gets transported to the world where the Evil originated, the description sounds close to where Jack Sparrow wakes up in "The Dead Man's Chest."
Leone
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi, yaf
I love this series - lots of fun, adventure and bravery by all. Good fun and a rollicking great read.
Alex Danvers -Athena's SlytherClaw Daughter
Garth Nix and Sean Williams are definitely moving up on "My Favorite Authors List". Each book gets better and better. It's a reaaly good series, even if there is only 350 pages per book.
Rachel
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it !
Gail Shipley
Fast-paced. Kids will love all the magical creatures, supernatural powers and good vs. evil.
PWRL
Jul 01, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Larissa Wroe-Doyle
This was an excitement to read. i loved it so much, i was hoping there would be a fifth book
Connor
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
A very solid conclusion to the series. Not too predictable and all the secrets and mysteries are wrapped up well. Probably my favorite book in the series!
Kelly Carey
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to fill in a lot of the plot holes. I am not sure what direction the 5th book will take. There are still a lot of unknowns in terms of Grandma X.
Glenn
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars is about right for this book. Great end to the series with a few surprises.
Mikhail Peterburgskiy
Feb 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Machine Wars
  • The Shiny Guys
  • The Curious Dictionary (Word Hunters #1)
  • A Very Singular Guild (City of Orphans, #3)
  • Song of the Slums
  • Prisoner of the Black Hawk (The Mapmaker Chronicles #2)
  • Afterworld
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Secrets of Deltora
  • Pharaoh
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • Dreamrider
  • The Highwayman's Footsteps
  • Seeking Unseen (Toch Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Minor Arcana
  • Ludo and the Star Horse
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De

Troubletwisters (4 books)
  • Troubletwisters (Troubletwisters, #1)
  • The Monster (Troubletwisters, #2)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)