Start by marking “Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials” as Want to Read:
Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials

Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
...I desire to lie in the dust and to be humbled for it, in that I was a cause, with others, of so sad a calamity...

In Salem's dark days of 1692 and 1693, young girls pointed fingers and accused others of witchcraft, sentencing them to torture or even death. When the cloud lifted, and the accusations were shown to be false, the girls faced little, if any, penalty.

Were the
Published September 25th 2014 by Islandport Press

To ask other readers questions about Lies in the Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies in the Dust

Sesana
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Add this to the mountain of fiction related to the Salem Witch Trials. This entry in a crowded field distinguishes itself by being a graphic novel and by being from the perspective of one of the afflicted girls, Ann Putnam. Ann is one of the best known of the afflicted girls, because she was involved from the beginning, and because her entire family ended up playing such a prominent part in the entire proceeding. And she's the only one of the afflicted girls who was known to make a public apolog ...more
Calista
Art: I'm not crazy about the black and white and yet it came off as being very puritan and like a memory from the past- a very dark memory. So it worked for this.

This is about the Salem Witch Trials. Ann Putnam Jr. was one of the girls making accusations against people in the trials. It was proven that all the people who died were innocent and yet nothing ever happened to the girls at the centered. Of all of them, we know that one, Ann, apologized for her actions.

This story is about Ann after t
Melody
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are brilliant. Sharp, almost cutting, they provide the bulk of the story's nuances. The text is less nuanced, not as fully realized. I wish the format was about three times larger so that one could more easily get caught up in the ink-work. What I really loved about the book as a whole is the fresh, poignant angle it came from. I've read a fair bit about that shameful time in the United States' history but never from this slightly canted remove. Very well done, indeed.
Myke Cole
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This didn't work for me. The writing does not characterize, or arc with any degree of tension. This isn't really the writer's fault beyond the fact that he chose as his subject a historical vignette that doesn't really lend itself well to a story.

There might actually be a story in Anne Putnam's development from naïve accuser to contrite oldster, but if there is, it isn't presented here. I suspect that a great deal of fictional license would be required to make it happen in a narratively satisfy
Kathy
Of the girls that accused women and men of being witches in Salem Village in 1692, only Ann Putnam, Jr. ever expressed remorse, which took the form of a letter fourteen years later, in 1706. This graphic novel does a good job of giving a brief overview of that time and through twenty-seven-year-old Ann's reminiscences, those first accused and charged with witchcraft are presented. I do wish that this graphic representation of Ann's apology would have expanded the historical facts a bit to streng ...more
Laura Phelps
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: possiblemsba2014
A graphic novel about Ann Putnam, one of the Salem witch accusers. Rendered in black and white, with sharp text boxes and almost emotion-less illustrations, I was initially put off by the design, but as I read, I realized that it is actually quite brilliant in capturing the nuances of this historical episode. For sophisticated middle grade readers, this would be perfect to read and discuss within the context of a broader unit on the witch trials.
Chris Robertson
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good coda to The Crucible, fitting to close all those units eleventh grade English teachers have been serving up for years. The art is minimal, which makes the subject matter more powerful. Sure this is another of those "lest we forget" kind of history lessons, but we need a dose from time to time, right?
Chelsey
Aug 11, 2014 added it
Shelves: ya-fiction
"What is the true power of a word? A word crafted into an accusation can be wielded like a dagger."
Jessica Rose
An interesting story that I picked up at my local library. I dont think i would have been willing to buy it, as the story is short, it took me all of 20 minutes to read.It is an interesting look at a part of the salem trials that is little talked about, the lives of the children doing the accusing. Ive always wondered how they grew up with all those deaths in their hearts and honestly, reading Anns confession, Im glad to know that she at least, felt great shame and sorrow for her actions.
mg
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of great creepy books out there in YA Land this year (Through the Woods by Emily Carroll, The Riverman by Aaron Starmer, Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales edited by Kelly Link, etc.)...however, I really think this one takes the cake.

Many of us know the story of the Salem Witch Trials...24 people (mostly women) executed after being accused by a handful of girls of being witches. This graphic novel by Jakob Crane tells of the story following the executions from th
Alicia
A graphic novel that approaches the Salem Witch Trials from the perspective of Ann Putnam in her 20s and 30s feeling overloaded with remorse and wishing for forgiveness from the community and her family. She relays to her family her wishes to be a better human being and to repent for her weakness in allowing her parents to push her to act out in a way that left about thirty people dead after accusing them of witchcraft.

Obviously a different take as it's after the fact and through Ann's eyes. Th
Lauren White
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
What an awesome interpretive piece about the Salem witch trials. Written from the perspective of Ann Putnam, this graphic novel gives an often unheard take on the trials. It weaves in the emotions of the different characters in a really interesting way. Gives a cool perspective for students and definitely offers an intriguing look at a historical event. Would be good grades 6-up.

Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Ada  Library
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting presentation of the Salem Witch Trials through recollections of Ann Putnam--one of the accusers, and the only one to ever show remorse for her part in the witch hunts of 1692. I particularly liked the ink drawings, devoid of color, and felt the artwork was an appropriate display of dark days in U.S. history.
Jen Smith
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
What happened after the trials had ended? What happened to the girls who accused the townspeople? This is a great graphic novel that tells the story of one of the girls who stayed in the town. It tells about the pain and regret she experiences after the death of her parents. Easy to read and interesting.

Amanda Carr
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Susan
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads first-reads.

A graphic novel about Ann Putnam, one of the accusers at the Salem Witch trials. The powerful images work well in conveying the story and the feelings of the character.
bananya
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just got this book as a GOODREAD GIVEAWAY and finished it. Such a cool cool graphic novel! I love the illustrations and how at times the images tell the story silently. I think this duo should make a series and give other historical events the same treatment. I'd buy each one. Wicked good!
Kristin Fletcher-spear
reviewing for VOYA.
quick thoughts-- great curriculum connection for schools
artwork very striking
engaging writing and has an interesting viewpoint of Ann Putnam.
Kate McCartney
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are been some really amazing works that look at the Salem Witch trials in very unique ways. This is definitely one of the best.

Samantha
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Powerful read, especially with the stark illustrations.
Soobie's scared
That's not what I expected. But, Soobie, you really should read the synopsis before starting a new graphic novel.

So, this book is not about the witch trials themselves. In fact, it's set in 1706 and it centers around Ann Putnam Jr., one of the accusers and the only one who apologized. One has to be familiar with what happened then to make sense of this story: it takes a lot for granted.

Basically, there's Ann living her life in Salem, conscious to be the cause of the death of 24 people. She bar
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the years after the Salem Witch Trials, this graphic novel was well done and well illustrated. The wording felt perfect for the timeline, and the story of Ann Putnam and her family before her apologies was well written and provided a better understanding of the feeling of the Salem Witch Trials.

Overall, well done, easy to read that feels like it gives a better contextual understanding of the Salem Witch Trials an Ann Putnam herself. I never knew she eventually apologized to the Church fo
Paula
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Lies in the Dust' is the story of Ann Putnam Jr and the consequences of her actions.

I have read about Ann Putnam Jr and the Salem Witch Trials in the past and I always thought it was brave of her to admit the truth of what actually happened, I also found it sad that she never married and died young. Ann Putnam Jr was the only girl from the group that admitted that all accusations made were false.

I enjoyed 'Lies in the Dust', the fear of the devil is shown well through the images, the strength
Elise Ozarowski
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was the first graphic novel I've ever read, and definitely a good one. The artwork is stunning, and the story, while a bit confusing at certain parts, works well with the art. This felt like it was put together very well--I'm just not convinced that graphic novels are for me.

I think that the artwork makes for a very strong story, and I appreciated the artist's balance of subtlety and lack of shying away from the tough stuff. It was a moving account of a terrible tragedy. I do wish the After
Amanda
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm on a huge New England history kick right now and I've always been fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials. This little graphic novel packs an emotional punch, but the style dampens the effect. The art is alternately very unappealing (most of the faces) and haunting (the silhouetted corpse of Giles Cory). But random words are stylized and distracting in the dialogue and the effect is really ugly.

So storywise, yes, I'd recommend it. Especially if you're interested in the Trials, it shows a side o
Takkun
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
So for as much as I wanted to like this little graphic novel, I couldn't help but feel as though it's more of a brochure for YA on religious lunacy and family matters in Salem 1846. While its definitely a relevant point, its such a crash course on the topic and is so short that it doesn't leave anything to think about or anything to the imagination. The art pulls off some occasionally cool and evil images even though they too are ludicrously simplistic. It's fine, not great, and you can try the ...more
Darcy Roar
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics
This Graphic Novel brings us back to Salem after the trials to see Ann Putnam Jr. living with her guilt. I liked this book because it offers a different view of Salem. In school we learned about the facts of the trials in history and read The Crucible, but we never really talked about what happened afterwards. I did not know that Ann wrote a letter of apology for her actions, or that she stayed in Salem. I found the art style to be a little distracting though & had a difficult time telling c ...more
Jason Bloom
An interesting look at the repercussions of the Salem Witch Trials, and the aftermath for all involved. So many victims, so much death; a tragic, terrible period in our collective history. This New World, set up for religious freedom, becomes a hot spot for intolerance, all in the name of religion. So much was at play, politics and influence wrapping themselves around Christianity like a blanket, utilizing superstition as a lever for greed, an interesting juxtaposition, especially when you reali ...more
Julia
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read graphic novels lately. I randomly pulled this one from my local library.

I really enjoyed the stark, black and white drawings. The story was interesting too. This is the first time I have read an account from the point of view of one of the accusers. It briefly touched on why Anne started accusing others of witchcraft. I wish it had gone into more depth, because it is fascinating. The Salem witch trials are a sad chapter in U.S. history.

I do feel the story would be har
Joshua
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting look into the life of Ann Putnam and the Salem witch trials. The book is narrated by Ann after the trials as she is confronted with the guilt she feels for her actions as a child in the trials. Ann, now older, must help to raise her siblings and daily confront the families of those she wrongly convicted in her childhood. The art style is very stark and simple, which at first was odd, but as the story went on it helped to convey the guilt and burden that Ann feels in her daily life ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju (Baltimore, #5)
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: The Mystery of the Mechanical Corpse
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Encounters
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Meteor Men
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • Jaybird