Start by marking “The Duality Paradigm (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Duality Paradigm (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #1)

The Duality Paradigm

(Blood and Bone Trilogy #1)

Everyone knows magic users and werewolves are intrinsically diametrically opposed...

Seattle Police Detective Ethan Ellison, born into a long line of Quebecois magicians, leads a fairly unassuming life working Theft and consulting on magical misdemeanors. He’s spent eight years building a life for himself in Seattle, far from his father's shadow. He works hard, lives under
Published February 1st 2014 by The Spec Press

To ask other readers questions about The Duality Paradigm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duality Paradigm

Vivian
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: freebies, romance-pn
Could have been, would have been, should have been...

Could have been a compelling supernatural cop story, but it floundered and then just bailed at the end.

Would have been a satisfying romance, but like an elephant in the room, no one is talking about it.

Should have been edited better. There are multiple transposed words that spell check would not catch, but tripped up the reader: scull for skull, what for white, etc and the ending saw an unfortunate increase which just stymied the climatic mome
Rosa, really
The magically inclined tend to share a common, and disastrous, personality profile: narcissistic, self-absorbed and forgetful. And if you think they make terrible spouses, then the truth is, they make even worse mates. This is something every wolfcub knows, in his blood. In his bones.
That is a great start to this paranormal police procedural. It nicely sums up the whole novel, and I would guess, the trilogy -- though we’ll have to wait until at least the next book is published before that’s pr
Line
Uuuuuuhhhhmmmmm, yeah, I have been going back and forth between 2 and 3 stars for this one, but ended up at 2 to stay true to my other ratings.
I have been slow in jotting down some words about the last few books I've read, therefore this review is written with reservation to my scatterbrain and what I remember feeling, when I put down the book.
description
So Ethan is a... Complex character and a bit of a man-whore (said with the utmost respect; I have nothing against man-whores, we should all be free to bon
MLE
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, kindle-archive
I really enjoyed this book. The mythology of werewolves and magicians was interesting, and well developed, and I like how it played into the plot of the story. The characters felt like full fledged people, and I liked the balance between them. Patrick could be a bit protective of Ethan, but Ethan wasn't cowed by this and it never felt like Patrick was trying to own or control Ethan. I liked the mystery, and the resolution felt complex, and complete. While there are unresolved issues this felt li ...more
Teal
Loved it but can't possibly recommend it or give it any stars due to editing issues so egregious and beyond the pale that they're an insult to the reader and caused my inner editor to have a hysterical meltdown.

I might be able to write a real review of it at some point. But right now I'm trying to recover from having stayed up literally all night reading Book 2, in which the editing is merely bad and not an abomination unto the English language...
Borderstar
This had a lot of promise as the start of a series/trilogy and there were certain aspects I really liked. But there were also quite a few things that didn't really work for me, so 3 stars overall.

I was quite keen to read the next one when I finished this...but having read reviews for book 2 I'm a bit wary...I may just leave it at this?

Full review to follow soon.
Adrianamae
2.5 rating

This is a start of what could be a good series, but between the amateur writing, the editing issues and plot holes, it was not satisfying. Nevertheless, this book has a ridiculous low price and I'm very glad that I got to read it. I will definitely read the next book in the series.
Furio
This author clearly has real talent as this M/M mystery novella managed to keep my interest despite its flaws.
Writing is very fluid; plot is simple but well developed and the urban-fantasy setting is rich in interesting details.

The first problem is the annoying number of typos and mistakes and that they tend to become more and more numerous as the work nears its end. Some of them are disrupting and forced me to reread various sentences.
Characterization betrays the author's lack of experience: ch
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
3 disappointing stars

When I have a lot to say, like I do about this book, it's easiest for me to give a quick summary and then just type out my notes, which turned out to be a LOT. The book was in many ways fabulous, and I was really excited about the series. Thrillers are my favorite genre because I love all that melodrama and action, and set in Seattle? Just drop me somewhere quiet and comfortable and I won't even know you're gone.

But I was pretty upset by the careless inconsistencies and blat
Lisa The Novel Approach
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

With a little bit of magic, a little bit of murder, and a whole lot of mystery, author Lia Cooper has written her way onto the M/M scene as someone I’m not only excited to see here but am also excited to see much more from. Hopefully in the very near future, as she draws us further in to the world she’s imagined.

Full review can be found at The Novel Approach.
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

In a world where magic users and werewolves are intrinsically diametrically opposed, Seattle Police Detectives Ethan Ellison and Patrick Clanahan seem like a total mismatch. But they work. In this exciting start to a PNR police crime series, I was taken by both MCs. Ethan is unapologetically slutty and Patrick is unapologetically wolf-ish. I loved them. I was worried at times that Ethan's character would turn me off (and he came close) but he just scraped by.

Bottom line: Wonderful start
Lizzy
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

Fun and great read. It was a good detective romance story. And an unusually and unique take on the paranormal world. They thing I really disliked was that the editor did an horrible job.There were so many spelling mistakes and it was a bit confusing at times. But it was still that good that I will read the rest of the series!
Mandapanda
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Solid m/m urban fantasy by a new author. The introduction is great. Totally snared my attention and made me want to read on. Here's part of it:

In his bones.

Luckily the book mostly lives up to its promise. Like all urban fantasy t
Andrea
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want more - just bought the second book but I need the last one right now. This is great - murder mystery, mages, shifters, romance ... can't ask for much more.

The books should be read in order because this one ended with the personal relationship unresolved but the murder was solved so it's definitely not a cliffhanger.
Brooklyn
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brooklyn by: Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
WARNING: This book does not have a HEA. You must keep reading the trilogy. I'm so glad I have KU and am able to grab book 2 straight away. I love how Patrick and Ethan are coming together in this series.
Matthew
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
It was honestly a good story however the editing is absolutely atrocious and this makes for a confusing read at times. My hope is the author either hires and editor or takes more time to edit her work more thoroughly.
Averin
Not going to rate this. A very good story but a mess. It needed: a copy editor, a proofreader, and maybe a ghostwriter too. And the ending--I get it's a trilogy but not an encouraging arc.
Wax
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, own-have, z-10-utc
There were things that I loved about this book and things that I really didn't like.

What I loved:
- paranormal (the world contains witches and werewolves)
- mystery/detective story
- enemies to lovers story (kinda...more about this below in the spoiler)

What I didn't like:
- ends without a HEA or even a HFN
- (view spoiler)
- I know it's hard to complain when the book is fre
Teresa
Well, that was a wholly unsatisfying ending. I loved the story up until that part. It’s definitely the first of a series for which you need to read them all to get to your HEA. This wasn’t even a HFN.

I did like the mystery and how well they worked together. They were great, well rounded characters.

There were mistakes but they didn’t detract for me too much.

However, I’ve read some reviews and don’t think I’ll waste my money on the rest of the series. I hate too much UST and book 2 sounds like t
Sophie
This was so fun and enjoyable. Definitely what a proper urban fantasy with a touch of romance should be.
Highly recommended to PNR aficionados.
Jacqueline Rohrbach
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun "who did it" with lots of romance.
Leslie
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it Loved it Loved it! Great plot, well written, wonderful characters. The ending! Ugggg. Must read the second one!
Anne Odom
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and if you like paranormal romance with a little suspense and mystery thrown in, this is worth checking out.

WHAT I LIKED
-----------------------
* The main characters are gay men, but the book is not about them being gay men. They are complex characters in and of themselves who become attracted to each other and who happen to both be male. In other words, it's just a natural part of who they are, and not *only* who they are.

* The author does a good job of developing the
Joan
I honestly have no idea what rating to give this.

It's the first 'paranormal/werewolf/magician/police book I have read, though I have read werewolves before. So I was a little unsure what I was going to find.

The good points:

*Very likeable characters, and also believable ones.
*Some great descriptive writing.
*A slow development of the relationship.
*A couple of moments that caught me by surprise.
*The scenes with Pat's family were wonderful

The not-so-good points.

*Proofreading and editing was slop
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I went ahead and rounded up to a 4.

The first half was okay, but it wasn't until half way that it really picked up.

It could have used some more proofreading. I'm not one to really get peeved over editing issues, but these were hard to ignore. My favorite was his "HEARD leaking cock" (was it talking? or listening?) Others were small, but took you out of the story, like the word be, instead me. Spell check doesn't help, when they are real words.

Around the half way mark, I was committed, and couldn'
Lois - Who Reads
3.5

Ethan comes from a long line of powerful mages, but he has very little magic and had to walk away from his family because he could never meet their expectations. He now spends his time tracking down small time criminals. On the other hand, Patrick comes from a long line of werewolves and is a detective in the homicide division. He is less than thrilled when he is partnered with Ethan to investigate a strange murder. These two men clash from their first meeting – Patrick cannot understand Eth
Mary Devereaux
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
It is with some sadness and a bit of inner conflict that I give this book 3 stars.
The premise is fantastic. I mean, handsome Mage and hot Ware thrown into working together and try to ignore the sparks that fly between them; how can you go wrong?

You can't.

Unless you don't edit your work. I chose to overlook the occasional typo; but there was a point in the story where it seemed I couldn't read 3 sentences without an error. It seemed to me as if the author had gotten so excited to finally get to "
Angeltaken
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm actually kinda surprised I finished the book only because there's a LOT of head hopping and if there's one thing I really dislike in reading any type of story it's head hopping.

But, I don't know, maybe it was the two characters, or the plot, or my weakness for magic/werewolves but I couldn't stop reading I pretty much finished it in one sitting, and I'm actually quite happy because unlike most of the romance novels I've read so far it wasn't the instant they meet they had to have sex/fall in
Anne Marie Crookes
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story of Ethan, a magician with little apparent magic and Patrick the son of the Alpha of his werewolf pack is really good. They mesh really well together. They are both cops and tracking the killer of a young woman. The woman has been torn apart (literally) by something neither human or werewolf.

This book for story and plot would have been a 5 star rating. The trouble was with the editing. If the author has an editor, she should fire that person. It was frustrating to have so many grammat
Eperdu
Sep 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Overall, I enjoyed the story but I am not a fan of stories that split in the middle. This was an incomplete story, to me. I think the characters had a lot of potential but also felt like things moved way too quickly to be believable and then the book was over. I picked up the second book really quickly only to have to slog through a lot of angst to be picked up and dropped again at the end.

I won't be continuing on this journey with the characters. It's a great reminder to me why I tend to like s
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • Spell Bound (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #1)
  • Quinn's Gambit (AURA, #1)
  • Camp H.O.W.L. (Camp H.O.W.L. #1)
  • Some Kind of Magic (Beings In Love #1)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Ezekiah
  • Destroyer of Worlds (SPECTR, #5)
  • Kevin's Alpha (A Wizard's Touch #2)
  • Shadow Scars: Rogue Wolf (Haven City, #1)
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Tears of Blood (Drone Vampire Chronicles, #12)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Fae for All (Cloverleah Pack #6)
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles #1)
  • Wolf Moon
  • Demon Arms (The Paranormal Academy For Troubled Boys #1)
  • Fearless Leader (Juxtapose City #1)

Blood and Bone Trilogy (5 books)
  • The Convergence Theory (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • The Symbiotic Law (Blood and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Remainders (Blood and Bone Trilogy #3.5)
  • A Sanguine Solution (Blood & Bone Series #4)
“Humans were weird animals by his standards, so far removed from their own nature he honestly didn’t know how they managed to feed and clothe themselves most days.” 1 likes