Start by marking “Guarded Hearts” as Want to Read:
Guarded Hearts

Guarded Hearts

I want nothing but to escape the bitterness and emptiness surrounding me....

I'm, Olivia Rey, a product of an unwanted pregnancy and since that day forward my world has not beeneasy. My mother's anger at not being able to hold on to my 'father' made her lash out all her hatred and venom at me growing up. So, I did the only thing I could to survive, I enclo...sed my heart un
Kindle Edition
Published August 13th 2014 (first published August 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Guarded Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guarded Hearts

Rebecca
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book, got hooked from the start and loved the ending. Was very unexpected awesome read!!!
Kim Howlett
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guarded hearts

The cover was what drew me in first drew me in to the book. After reading blurb I knew this book,was going to be a book a loved. As soon as I read the prologue I was completly hooked and I knew this was going to be a outstanding book.
The book is about 2 people finding love when neither ever thought they would and have give up on the idea of love.
The story follows Nix and Olivia. They are both in college. Olivia is the president of her sorority. She is pretending to be somebody sh
Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog
5 Stars!

Wow! What an amazing book. This is one of those books that pulls at all of your emotions and heartstrings before bringing it all back in and wrapping it up with a pretty bow. This book was beautifully written and flowed well. Don't let the length fool you... this book packs quite a bunch. I laughed. I smiled. I cried. I frowned. I got angry. Right from the beginning, this book pulled me and didn't let me go until the end. This author is new to me and this definitely won't be my last.

Thi
Claire Fullwood
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely fell in love with the Synopsis of, Guarded Hearts, and was ecstatic to received a copy in return for a honest review.
Despite falling for the Synopsis, I was totally blown away by the Prologue of this book.
The prologue focuses on, Nix, the main male character, and how tragedy has moulded him into the man he would later become. Such a powerful and emotional start to what would prove to be a great story.
The story then moves on to tell you the awful start Olivia had in life, and her det
Bloggers From Down Under
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*** ARC provided on behalf of the author for an honest review ***

This book had us from the very first line

” Death doesn’t give you a warning”.

This is Phoenix’s and Olivia’s story.

Meet Phoenix. Studying in college. Works as a DJ at a club, Poison.
Keeps to himself, barriers are up.
A devastating past which has left him racked with guilt. He will not allow anyone in. He can’t feel, he shouldn’t. He won’t give himself permission too.
But why?

Meet Olivia. Studying in college. She’s a part of a sororit
Jamie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about two people finding love when they had given up on the idea.

Olivia never knew love. Her mother blamed her for her father wanting nothing to do with either of them and abused her all throughout her life. There was never a day that went by that she wasn't told she was worthless, etc. The only thing that got her through her childhood was her best friend Mandy and her family. But even then, there was a constant void in Olivia's heart. A void that was put there by her mother.

Ni
Books&Dreams
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
 photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

This is Olivia and Nix's story.

I gave it 4.5 stars.

Only because it was a little hard to get into at first.
Both of these characters have been through so much and feel as if they don't deserve love. It is sad and the story is amazing to follow as they grow and learn to trust each other. They learn to heal with the help of one another. It is hard to read at times when they are so broken and feel as if they deserve to just suffer in life. As these two grow and start to show the love that is deep
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Guarded Hearts is an amazing read. I was hooked on this book right from the prologue. I did want to put it down until it was done. It's told in the dual POVs of Nix and Olivia. I love reading books in dual POVs because you can get into both characters heads.

Both Nix and Olivia have had troubles in their past. Nix has had his best friend pass away in a car accident that he survived. We get glimpses of the car accident through Nix. When I was reading the point where we get information on the car
Samantha Woods ( LSK Sweetheart Reviews )
'I received a copy of this book as part of a blog tour in exchange for an honest review'

Olivia was the unwanted daughter of an unplanned pregnancy between a maid and her employer. Her mother made her life hell. So she studied hard so she could get a scholarship to college and get out of there. Her best friend did the same thing although she had a better family life then Olivia. Meeting Phoenix was not in Olivia's plans. But she couldn't resist him. But when she faces the ultimate betrayal she ma
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-in-2014
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I read it in a few hours as I couldn't put it down.
I felt it was a little disjointed to start with but then I got used to the flow, the timeline also seemed to move incredibly fast.

Olivia has moved away for college to get away from her abusive mother. Not really been a child that was shown any kind of love she guards her heart like nothing on earth. Then she meets Nix.
Nix is also very guarded but the connection they both have allows then to let each ot
Amber
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
So I did have some trouble getting into this one at first. It was kind of disjointing in parts and time moved really fast even within just a few paragraphs but once I got about half way through it really picked up!

I really liked both Olivia and Nix. At times they both completely frustrated me and I thought that they were acting irrational or even selfish. But they both have lots of demons to face.

This was definitely a very emotional read with lots of angst and some steamy parts. What started
Fiona Sheldon
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was kindly gifted this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Totally loved the book. Was hooked from the first chapter. Its a very heartwarming story. It focuses on the relationship between Olivia and Nix. Two people who believe they don't deserve to be loved through no fault of their own. They both fall hard and fast and face trials and tribulations during their relationship testing everything they thought they had overcome. Do they have an happily ever after????
books are love
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wonderful story of two people who have guarded their hearts who meet each other and begin to let each other I in. Olivia has a mother who abused her. Hated her for what she feels she destroyed for her. To deal with this Olivia put her heads in her books, studied and shut off any emotion. As soon as she turned eighteen she left her life and began college. College where she had a plan so she can leave behind her life. And than she meets Nix. Nix who changed his life based on a poor decision that c ...more
Lorena  Garcia -- Brittany's Book Blog
**Received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review**

I got hooked from the beginning to end. I highly enjoyed this read.

Olivia was a girl who got, not just verbally abused but also physically. Her mother disliked her and always blamed her for Olivia's father leaving her. As Olivia started growing up, the abuse ended but then started getting ignored. She preferred the abuse than to get ignored. Olivia didn't have the means to spend or do as she pleased, she lived in a trailer with he
Lynn (Ellesea Loves Reading)
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I'm instantly drawn to both Nix and Olivia because their story and journey to adulthood appeals to my compassionate side. Olivia has endured an unhappy and abusive childhood in the hands of her alcoholic, drug-taking whore of a mother. Nix on the other hand is dealing with the consequences of his actions; he's partially to blame for the tragic death of his best friend and is struggling daily with the guilt as each new milestone in his life, brings back memories of the loss of a young life.
The au
Diane
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Emotional read!

Olivia and Nix couldn’t have had more different upbringings. Olivia knew only neglect and abuse as she grew up an unwanted child of a self-centered mother. Nix had a privileged background raised in a caring family but that did not stop him from overindulging in alcohol and drugs. These bad decisions culminated in the worst tragedy of his life.

Olivia had dreams and worked her plan to the letter as she strives to make something of herself. Nix struggled to find purpose as he worked
Stories and Swag Book Blog
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

I read this book, Guarded Hearts, because it is completely different from my normal reads. After reading the blurb, I knew it would be a story that readers and myself would enjoy. The cover art is amazing, title totally goes with the theme and story of the book, and all around good story.
This book is about two people, Olivia (she goes by Livi in the book) and Phoenix (whose nickname is Nix). They have both been through traumatic things in their lives,and are looking to overcome them at college.
The Book Fairy Reviews
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Two hearts broken by their past guarded from anyone that can possibly hurt them, until they found their other half.
Olivia lived a life filled with abuse. Her mother blamed her for every thing bad that happened to her and let her know every day that she was to blame. Now in college she lives a guarded life hiding her heart and the truth of her past.
Nix blames himself for his best friends death. His inner turmoil has broken his spirit and heart feeling unworthy he hides in plain site.
When they me
Everything Marie
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Olivia has worked hard for her chance to go to college and leave her past behind. After a rough childhood she packs up her life and heads to college with her best friend Mandy. Soon she has friends, a sorority and good grades, then she meets Nix who has the power to change her world and much like Olivia he has a past that has made him who he is. When life throws unforeseen road blocks at Olivia and Nix can they face the challenges together or will life push them in opposite directions? I liked t ...more
Jenn
Aug 24, 2014
Krystal Garcia
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Come Back to Texas (Twelve Beats in a Bar, #1)
  • Without You
  • Put Me Back Together
  • Permanent (Indelibly Marked, #1)
  • The Light of Day
  • Too Late to Run (Mara Cunningham Series, #3)
  • Righteous Decisions (Decisions, #1)
  • Runner (Tainted Hearts, #1)
  • Seasons in the Sun (Night Songs Collection, #0.5)
  • All That Matters (Red Light Ladies, #1)
  • A Cat Taught Me That - Life's Lessons Learned from Felines
  • Sharing Rylee
  • Hex And Kisses (Hex and Sex, #3)
  • Eleven Sundays
  • Nightmares from Within
  • Owned
  • Rise of the Alago (The Noru #6)
  • Hollow (Perfect Little Pieces #1)