Start by marking “Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #89)” as Want to Read:
Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #89)

Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #89)

FICTION

NON-FICTION
“Taught by the Moon: Oral Traditions in Speculative Fiction” by Rhiannon Held
“Dark Hearts & Brilliant Patches of Honor: A Tribute
Published February 1st 2014 by Wyrm Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89

Start your review of Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 89 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #89)
Cathy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cat Rambo - Tortoiseshell Cats Are Nonrefundable - A very good story, about things that I'm sure everyone has thought about since Dolly and since (rich) people have been able to clone their pets. They aren't the same animals, no matter how much their people want them to be. But oh, how I've thought about it. Good sci-fi.

Natalia Theodoridou - The Eleven Holy Numbers of the Mechanical Soul - I found this because I read another story by her in Kasma Magazine which was also about a guy who was alone
Suzanne
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
My favorites here were Natalia Theodoridou's "The Eleven Holy Numbers of the Mechanical Soul" and the reprint of John Barnes' "Martian Heart." Great stuff. (Read them here!)

I also enjoyed Daniel Abraham's nonfic article on "Debts," which reflects upon the nature of inspiration and how one can safely (even boldly) be influenced by others' works without plagiarizing. He specifically mentions Shia LaBeouf's recent thefts and also Austin Kleon's Steal Like an Artist.
Karl
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarksworld ISSUE 89, FEBRUARY 2014

I enjoyed three of the five stories in this collection.

1. Tortoiseshell Cats Are Not Refundable — BY CAT RAMBO
A simple story about cloning a cat. This was not my cup of tea as far as the story line the sentiment and I was not engaged by the characters.

2. The Eleven Holy Numbers of the Mechanical Soul -by NATALIA THEODORIDOU
A Beautifully written story about a crash landing on an empty planet and the exploits of the lone survivor.

3. And Wash Out by Tides of
Daniel
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
The opening stories of this issue had me captivated. Cat Rambo's "Tortoiseshell Cats Are Not Refundable" is a poignant story about loss and "The Eleven Holy Numbers of the Mechanical Soul" by Natalia Theodoridou does a fantastic job at blending together the metaphysical or spiritual with elements of science fiction of adapting to an alien environment. Following that the stories simply failed to engage me, they all seemed consistently rather weighty in density and tone.
Amy
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fiction:
"Tortoiseshell Cats are not Refundable" by Cat Rambo - a story of loss and recovery. Can we replace the ones we've lost and will the replacements be the same as they were before? As someone who HAS lost, yeah, that hits me.
"The Eleven Holy Numbers of the Mechanical Soul" by Natalia Theodoridou - Can't say I totally got this one, but it's an entertaining story of a starship castaway on an alien planet.
"And Wash Out by Tides of War" by An Owomoyela - An engrossing post-war and planet-bound
Melissa
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Infinities tells a heart-wrenching tale of a math-obsessed professor distracted from his studies by aging family members, religious duties, and political upheaval. Toward the end of his life he has an epiphany regarding prime numbers, but with escalated Muslim-Hindu tension wracking the town, he puts the math aside to bury his dead family and look for lost friends.
Scott Klobas
Zachary
rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2014
Mord
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2016
Feb 18, 2014
Zoe Dickens
Feb 23, 2014
Natalia
Feb 24, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-m-in
Verin
Dec 01, 2014
Piper Hale
Jan 02, 2015
Neil Clarke is best known as the editor and publisher of the Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning Clarkesworld Magazine. Launched in October 2006, the online magazine has been a finalist for the Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine four times (winning three times), the World Fantasy Award four times (winning once), and the British Fantasy Award once (winning once). Neil is also a eight-time finalis ...more