Start by marking “The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)

The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match

(Emmeline Truelove 0.5)

From Juliana Gray comes an all-new historical romance novella featuring the famous—and often infamous—Duke of Olympia.

Aboard the luxuriously appointed SS Majestic, the duke is on a mission to retrieve a most important portfolio of papers and thwart a known anarchist. As the ship steams across the Atlantic, the duke’s search for the notorious master of disguise forces him i
Published May 17th 2016 by InterMix

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Written with a witty and sophisticated touch and full of brilliant humour, mystery and Victorian charm, Juliana Gray has penned a delicate love story deftly letting all the romantic potential of two definitely mature and, for this genre, unusual protagonists emerge. A cunning duke and a quiet American widow who, among social niceties and international intrigues, are brought together in a tangled web of espionage and unexpectedly find love aboard an ocean liner journeying from New York to England
Jill
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it

"I had traveled to America - a thing I deplore, to be perfectly honest - in order to track down a certain person whose whereabouts had gone abruptly unknown."

"A dangerous man, sir?" Mr Simmons rolled onto his toes.

"Even worse. A dangerous woman, Mr Simmons."

His Grace, the Duke of Olympia, widower, now confirmed bachelor and staunch defender of the British Empire is on-board the SS Majestic steaming from America to Europe, on the trail of an anarchist carrying important papers to the French gover
Caz
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars

Juliana Gray neatly bridges the gap between her recent Princesses in Hiding series and her forthcoming one in this novella featuring the Machiavellian Duke of Olympia. In the earlier books, readers were introduced to this distinguished, powerful, older man as he pulled strings behind the scenes in order to save the lives of his three nieces, princesses of a minor principality whose lives were in danger because of the revolution that killed the rest of t
Georgie
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is not a 5-star book. I want to make that perfectly clear - it's a 4-star at best. It just felt like 5-stars. I read it in a single gleeful sitting.

It's billed as a novella, so the plot is straightforward (-ish) - The Duke of Olympia tracks down a spy aboard a transatlantic liner, while wooing an impoverished companion. The focus is on the couple, although there is a surprisingly well-fleshed out cast of secondary characters.

Quite apart from the refreshingly delightful cover, part of the e
Lady Wesley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-faves
Satisfying novellas can be difficult to write, but Juliana Gray more than satisfies with this one. Perhaps it helped that most of the story occurs on shipboard during an Atlantic crossing. Perhaps it is because, like the heroine, I am a woman of a certain age; and ladies our age rarely find love in historical romance. Another plus is Ms. Gray's skill in using the English language. I haven't read her other books, but I'm fairly sure that she is a darn good writer. Here is one of my favorite passa ...more
Tracy
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

I had very high hopes for this introduction to Juliana Gray, who is also known as Beatriz Williams, one of my favorite authors.

Possibly it's because the story was a novella, but I just never really got into the story. I felt rather disinterested most of the time.

It seems this is intended to be more of a humorous, historical romp sort of similar to Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series. That's not bad. I'm just trying to liken it to something people might be more familiar with.

I am
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1TWKMnV

The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match was a cute little transatlantic jaunt as the Duke, well, meets his match in the intriguing widow Mrs. Penelope Schuyler.

The quick of it is that the elderly duke--yall he's 74!--is tasked with hunting down an anarchist hiding in the midst of a ship full of American heiresses voyaging to England. Oo excitement!

It took me a little bit to get into the flow of this one but once I did it was
Michelle
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
While the first 50% was kind of dull, I really enjoyed the second half. The Duke really has met his match. I enjoyed his and Penelope's interactions and witty banter. I also love that we settled the whole Mrs. Dingleby problem. Finally. I have always loved the Duke and I think Penelope is perfect for him. Great ending.
Lee
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a novella prequel of the two Emmeline Truelove books, both of which I’ve read. (I expect there also should be another published one day, considering their endings.)

I checked the dates, and this was published a few months before the Emmeline book #1 A Most Extraordinary Pursuit. Therefore, this book should give you a taste of that book and make you want to read it. Well… It does but... (You know I love my buts.)

First, it does make you want to read the subsequent novels. It’s a perfe
Skye Kilaen
Ever wonder what happens to those alpha-soldier-secret-agent heroes in romance novels when they get older? If it's 1893, they become like the snooty Duke of Olympia, in his 70s and wishing he could be done with all this faffing about, but also bemoaning the lack of skills in the current generation of operatives, since it requires his presence on the SS Majestic during a cross-Atlantic voyage to find a dangerous anarchist and retrieve stolen information that mustn't fall into the wrong hands.

On s
Phoenix77
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute story with one caveat... (view spoiler)
Janine Ballard
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases

I read this 126-page historical romance novella shortly after Jayne reviewed it at Dear Author and enjoyed it immensely.

The plot centers on an ocean voyage, matrimonial ambitions, and espionage. The hero of the story is the Duke of Olympia, 74 years old (you read that right) and widowed, as well as something of an English spy. He is traveling aboard The Majestic, a White Star Line cruise ship, to retrieve some papers dealing with an anarchist plot from an agent of the French.

Also aboard
Maria
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Juliana Gray burst on to the historical romance scene a few years ago with her enchanting Victorian-era Affairs by Moonlight series and then continued her success with the passionate Princess in Hiding series. Throughout both of those series, however, there was one enigmatic figure who was a constant; an older gentleman behind the scenes, organizing–well, manipulating really–but also protecting and matchmaking the heroes and heroines of those novels: the Duke of Olympia.

For my full review on my
OpenBookSociety.com

Author Website: http://www.julianagray.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Betty Strohecker
This was the first work I have read by Juliana Gray, pen name for Beatriz Williams, and it was amazing! Set aboard the transatlantic ship Majestic on a voyage from New York to Liverpool, the main characters, British Duke of Olympia and American Penelope Schuyler, find themselves embroiled in the same dangerous mission, but on opposite sides. While this is old hat for Olympia, who has had a career of undercover work for the British government, Penelope finds herself at the age of 50 on a new adve ...more
Paige
This was so enjoyable! This was my first exposure to the Duke of Olympia, and he was magnificent! Of course, Penelope Schuyler was equally magnificent! This novella managed to have so much satisfying goodness! There was a mystery as well as historical romance. I loved the aspect of a mature couple being portrayed in such a smart and witty manner.
Kat W
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this novella much more than I thought I would. Gray's writing style is clever and witty with early 19th century flair.

I thought the mystery went nicely alongside the romance and it was interesting having two much older main characters than usual. Also, I like what Gray did with the hero and heroine, casting them in non-traditional roles, or rather, putting a contemporary touch to their developments. (view spoiler)
abigail meurk
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
White star mystery

Lighthearted romp with a lovely setting, thoroughly enjoyable. Fancy dress and shipboard spies, with a strong and sensible protagonist. Of a certain age myself, I enjoy the idea of adventures undertaken by those with some life experience behind them.
Tanya
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am going through a bad patch. I don't blame this book, it was competently written with a nice, arch style. And I thought it being a novella might help me. But it was a total slog. NOT THE BOOK'S FAULT, I just hate my boss. Did that make sense?
Anne Libera
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exactly what I want when I want this sort of thing. Charming, shipboard, cozy, Britishy, romantic, witty with a little bit of mystery and action. Strong female characters. I read it in an evening with a headcold.
Misti
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun little mystery with a dash of romance. The duke definitlely meets his match and she is quite the woman. :)
Valerie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, witty and oh so British! I liked it!
Donna Bresnak
a fun book with a twist ending. very nice stand alone book although it seems to be part of a series. recommend it for a quick rea, sometimes laugh out loud funny.
Tasha
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun shipboard romance. The ending did feel like it went on a bit, though.
Scott
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun

A very fun and mostly predictable story. Looking forward to the follow on stories. I am sure they will be equally entertaining.
Connor Graham
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read!
Sharlene
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful feel good story. So much fun to have an older heroine and hero and their antics aboard ship.
Grace
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Entertaining mystery that’s part of the Emma Truelove series. This short piece shows how the Duke met his wife.
Melanie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting start to a series and look forward to see where it goes.
stl_reader
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I would grade this a C+. It started out quite promising but ended up a very average read for me.

If you've read Gray's Princesses in Hiding series, you know that the Duke of Olympia is a crafty older gentleman who maneuvers events so that his 3 nieces end up safely paired up with worthy husbands.

I was happy to see Olympia was getting a story of his own, but this novella was too much about solving the mystery (Who is the spy? Who can be trusted?) and not enough about the romance.

The romance itse
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • A Gift for Guile (The Thief Takers, #2)
  • Dangerous Seduction (Nemesis, Unlimited, #2)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • To All the Rakes I've Loved Before (Honeycote, #1.5)
  • Mad For Love (Highland Brides, #1)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston Book 1)
  • Highlander Undone
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2)
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • A Little More Scandal (The Christies, #1.5)
  • A Gentleman Never Tells (Essex Sisters, #4.5)
  • In the Arms of the Heiress (Ladies Unlaced, #1)
  • The Summer Cottage (The Billionaire Brothers #2)
  • Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)
  • The Rogue (Devil's Duke, #1; Falcon Club, #4)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)

Emmeline Truelove (2 books)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • A Strange Scottish Shore (Emmaline Truelove, #2)