Start by marking “The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)

The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match

(Emmeline Truelove #0.5)

From Juliana Gray comes an all-new historical romance novella featuring the famous—and often infamous—Duke of Olympia.

Aboard the luxuriously appointed SS Majestic, the duke is on a mission to retrieve a most important portfolio of papers and thwart a known anarchist. As the ship steams across the Atlantic, the duke’s search for the notorious master of disguise forces him
Published May 17th 2016 by InterMix

Start your review of The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Written with a witty and sophisticated touch and full of brilliant humour, mystery and Victorian charm, Juliana Gray has penned a delicate love story deftly letting all the romantic potential of two definitely mature and, for this genre, unusual protagonists emerge. A cunning duke and a quiet American widow who, among social niceties and international intrigues, are brought together in a tangled web of espionage and unexpectedly find love aboard an ocean liner journeying from New York to England
Jill
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it

"I had traveled to America - a thing I deplore, to be perfectly honest - in order to track down a certain person whose whereabouts had gone abruptly unknown."

"A dangerous man, sir?" Mr Simmons rolled onto his toes.

"Even worse. A dangerous woman, Mr Simmons."

His Grace, the Duke of Olympia, widower, now confirmed bachelor and staunch defender of the British Empire is on-board the SS Majestic steaming from America to Europe, on the trail of an anarchist carrying important papers to the French gover
Caz
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars

Juliana Gray neatly bridges the gap between her recent Princesses in Hiding series and her forthcoming one in this novella featuring the Machiavellian Duke of Olympia. In the earlier books, readers were introduced to this distinguished, powerful, older man as he pulled strings behind the scenes in order to save the lives of his three nieces, princesses of a minor principality whose lives were in danger because of the revolution that killed the rest of
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
This is not a 5-star book. I want to make that perfectly clear - it's a 4-star at best. It just felt like 5-stars. I read it in a single gleeful sitting.

It's billed as a novella, so the plot is straightforward (-ish) - The Duke of Olympia tracks down a spy aboard a transatlantic liner, while wooing an impoverished companion. The focus is on the couple, although there is a surprisingly well-fleshed out cast of secondary characters.

Quite apart from the refreshingly delightful cover, part of the e
Lady Wesley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-faves
Satisfying novellas can be difficult to write, but Juliana Gray more than satisfies with this one. Perhaps it helped that most of the story occurs on shipboard during an Atlantic crossing. Perhaps it is because, like the heroine, I am a woman of a certain age; and ladies our age rarely find love in historical romance. Another plus is Ms. Gray's skill in using the English language. I haven't read her other books, but I'm fairly sure that she is a darn good writer. Here is one of my favorite passa ...more
Tracy
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

I had very high hopes for this introduction to Juliana Gray, who is also known as Beatriz Williams, one of my favorite authors.

Possibly it's because the story was a novella, but I just never really got into the story. I felt rather disinterested most of the time.

It seems this is intended to be more of a humorous, historical romp sort of similar to Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series. That's not bad. I'm just trying to liken it to something people might be more familiar with.

I am
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1TWKMnV

The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match was a cute little transatlantic jaunt as the Duke, well, meets his match in the intriguing widow Mrs. Penelope Schuyler.

The quick of it is that the elderly duke--yall he's 74!--is tasked with hunting down an anarchist hiding in the midst of a ship full of American heiresses voyaging to England. Oo excitement!

It took me a little bit to get into the flow of this one but once I did it was a f
Lee
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a novella prequel of the two Emmeline Truelove books, both of which I’ve read. (I expect there also should be another published one day, considering their endings.)

I checked the dates, and this was published a few months before the Emmeline book #1 A Most Extraordinary Pursuit. Therefore, this book should give you a taste of that book and make you want to read it. Well… It does but... (You know I love my buts.)

First, it does make you want to read the subsequent novels. It’s a perfe
Skye Kilaen
Ever wonder what happens to those alpha-soldier-secret-agent heroes in romance novels when they get older? If it's 1893, they become like the snooty Duke of Olympia, in his 70s and wishing he could be done with all this faffing about, but also bemoaning the lack of skills in the current generation of operatives, since it requires his presence on the SS Majestic during a cross-Atlantic voyage to find a dangerous anarchist and retrieve stolen information that mustn't fall into the wrong hands.

On s
Michelle
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
While the first 50% was kind of dull, I really enjoyed the second half. The Duke really has met his match. I enjoyed his and Penelope's interactions and witty banter. I also love that we settled the whole Mrs. Dingleby problem. Finally. I have always loved the Duke and I think Penelope is perfect for him. Great ending.
Phoenix77
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute story with one caveat... (view spoiler) ...more
Janine Ballard
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases

I read this 126-page historical romance novella shortly after Jayne reviewed it at Dear Author and enjoyed it immensely.

The plot centers on an ocean voyage, matrimonial ambitions, and espionage. The hero of the story is the Duke of Olympia, 74 years old (you read that right) and widowed, as well as something of an English spy. He is traveling aboard The Majestic, a White Star Line cruise ship, to retrieve some papers dealing with an anarchist plot from an agent of the French.

Also aboard
Maria
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Juliana Gray burst on to the historical romance scene a few years ago with her enchanting Victorian-era Affairs by Moonlight series and then continued her success with the passionate Princess in Hiding series. Throughout both of those series, however, there was one enigmatic figure who was a constant; an older gentleman behind the scenes, organizing–well, manipulating really–but also protecting and matchmaking the heroes and heroines of those novels: the Duke of Olympia.

For my full review on my
Renae
A very well-written romance/mystery hybrid by an author I've enjoyed previously. This is also a novella that I felt had a fully developed plotline and didn't feel like a abridged first draft of a full-length story. The fact that the protagonists were both older than 50 was also a plus. Really enjoyed it.
OpenBookSociety.com

Author Website: http://www.julianagray.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Betty Strohecker
This was the first work I have read by Juliana Gray, pen name for Beatriz Williams, and it was amazing! Set aboard the transatlantic ship Majestic on a voyage from New York to Liverpool, the main characters, British Duke of Olympia and American Penelope Schuyler, find themselves embroiled in the same dangerous mission, but on opposite sides. While this is old hat for Olympia, who has had a career of undercover work for the British government, Penelope finds herself at the age of 50 on a new adve ...more
Paige
This was so enjoyable! This was my first exposure to the Duke of Olympia, and he was magnificent! Of course, Penelope Schuyler was equally magnificent! This novella managed to have so much satisfying goodness! There was a mystery as well as historical romance. I loved the aspect of a mature couple being portrayed in such a smart and witty manner.
Jack Vasen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nominally part of a series, this book tells a complete story. The length is closer to a novella, but I found it to be just right.

This is an interesting romance since one protagonist is over 70 years old and the other 50. There is also a spy mystery. Olympia is an agent of the UK in the late 19th century and seeks to prevent papers being delivered to an agent for France. At first the identity of the courtier is unknown and then later it becomes clear a third party is trying to steal the documents
Kat W
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this novella much more than I thought I would. Gray's writing style is clever and witty with early 19th century flair.

I thought the mystery went nicely alongside the romance and it was interesting having two much older main characters than usual. Also, I like what Gray did with the hero and heroine, casting them in non-traditional roles, or rather, putting a contemporary touch to their developments. (view spoiler)
Keely
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight from start to finish. I loved the characters, the plot was fun and twisty without getting overly complex, and (most importantly) it made me laugh a number of times. I am often amused by books but rarely laugh out loud - and despite it's short length, this novella had me giggling over and over. I highly recommend it, and I will be sure to pick up more of Juliana Gray's books in the future.
Laura Bang
Delightful characters and descriptions, though I did want a little bit more clarity at the mystery’s end. Also I am horribly disappointed that the series this is a prequel to is not actually about the two main characters here because I desperately want to read about the further adventures of Penelope and Olympia.
Anne Libera
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exactly what I want when I want this sort of thing. Charming, shipboard, cozy, Britishy, romantic, witty with a little bit of mystery and action. Strong female characters. I read it in an evening with a headcold.
Tanya
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am going through a bad patch. I don't blame this book, it was competently written with a nice, arch style. And I thought it being a novella might help me. But it was a total slog. NOT THE BOOK'S FAULT, I just hate my boss. Did that make sense?
abigail meurk
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
White star mystery

Lighthearted romp with a lovely setting, thoroughly enjoyable. Fancy dress and shipboard spies, with a strong and sensible protagonist. Of a certain age myself, I enjoy the idea of adventures undertaken by those with some life experience behind them.
Sabinstian
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Juliana Gray is a favorite author of mine. Reading this so I can dive into the wackiness of A Most Extraordinary Pursuit. Having read her other series where the Duke is a side character, it was very fun to see him again here.
Misti
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun little mystery with a dash of romance. The duke definitlely meets his match and she is quite the woman. :)
Sharlene
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful feel good story. So much fun to have an older heroine and hero and their antics aboard ship.
Donna Bresnak
a fun book with a twist ending. very nice stand alone book although it seems to be part of a series. recommend it for a quick rea, sometimes laugh out loud funny.
Melanie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting start to a series and look forward to see where it goes.
Valerie
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, witty and oh so British! I liked it!

• Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • That Summer
  • Death Comes to the Fair (Kurland St. Mary Mystery, #4)
  • Twelve Nights as His Mistress (Rescued from Ruin, #5.5)
  • Woman of Color
  • The Dangerous Gentleman (Rogues of Regent Street, #1)
  • Overseas
  • A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • Inherit the Bones (Detective Gemma Monroe, #1)
  • Kids Is a 4-Letter Word
  • Death of a Scriptwriter (Hamish Macbeth, #14)
  • Confessions of a Dangerous Lord (Rescued from Ruin, #6)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Poppy Redfern and the Midnight Murders (A Woman of WWII Mystery #1)
  • Snowy Night with a Highlander (The Scandalous Series, #2.5)

Emmeline Truelove (2 books)
  • A Most Extraordinary Pursuit (Emmaline Truelove, #1)
  • A Strange Scottish Shore (Emmaline Truelove, #2)