Start by marking “Death's Bright Dart” as Want to Read:
Death's Bright Dart

Death's Bright Dart (Dr. R.V. Davie #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The quiet room seemed to explode. People started out of their seats. Exclamations, reserved and small in themselves, amalgamated like a whistle of steam. As there was nothing he could do. Davie stood watching the extraordinary picture’

It was just another conference in a Cambridge College during the vacation – or so it seemed. But there were some disturbing features about i
Mass Market Paperback, 223 pages
Published May 15th 1982 by Dell (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Bright Dart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Bright Dart

Tremolo by Aaron Paul LazarMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerCurses, Boiled Again! by Shari RandallThe Deep End by Julie Mulhern
Amateur Detective
327 books — 113 voters
Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha ChristieMonk's Hood by Ellis PetersHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieStrong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers
Poison
138 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Chazzi
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dr. R.V. Davie, retired college professor and amateur detective, is attending a scientific symposium at the College of St. Nicholas at Cambridge. What is to be an informative and academic event becomes dramatic when murder happens.

Among the learned professors attending is Dr. Brauer, an ambitious, handsome, egotistical man and the featured speaker at the conference. As he takes the podium to speak, he hesitates and then collapses. He has been felled by a poison dart.

There is a museum on the coll
Nancy Oakes
I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years. I'm kicking myself in the rumpus for not reading it earlier; I would have been through the series (which I also have sitting on my shelf) by now and probably with good memories. I actually enjoyed this book; written in 1967, it is highly reminiscent of an earlier, more classic period of mystery writing that I enjoy so much.

Here's a brief description (don't worry; no spoilers):
A conference is held at Cambridge University in England, and as one of
Bev
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
From the back of the book: "The speaker stepped to the podium. The audience waited expectantly. But before the celebrated scientist could utter a word, he clutched his neck, gasped and fell to the ground--the victim of a poisoned dart.

Clearly someone at the conference could handle a primitive blowpipe with deadly precision. The inquisitive Dr. Davie did some research of his own and discovered that each of the distinguished scientists had something to hide. Now he had to discover which one was ve
Cindy
Nov 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of classic mystery
Shelves: mysteries
A fun academic mystery set in Cambridge. Professor Bruen suddenly drops dead in the middle of his lecture on poisons. Hmm, what a coincidence! The forward compares this book to Michael Innes, Edmund Crispin, and others and I have to agree. Plenty of suspects, plenty of motives.
Nikki
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Dr. Davie of Cambridge investigates the death of a lecturer. Although published in the late '60s, this read like an older book to me (that is as if it had been written before I was born). I wasn't too impressed although I generally like academic mysteries.
Jill
Feb 08, 2010 added it
Death's bright dart by V. C Clinton-Baddeley (1970)
Polly
Mar 01, 2015
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
V(ictor Vaughan Reynolds Geraint) C(linton) Clinton-Baddeley was born in Devon, England. He received an M.A. in history from Jesus College, Cambridge. For a time he was editor of the modern history section of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, but soon turned to theatre and acting and then to radio, where he worked with W. B. Yeats as his poetry reader. His previous writings include works of literary a ...more
More about V.C. Clinton-Baddeley...

Dr. R.V. Davie (5 books)