Start by marking “An Armadillo in Paris” as Want to Read:
An Armadillo in Paris

An Armadillo in Paris

A winsome armadillo from Brazil takes a trip to Paris in this delightful new picture book from Julie Kraulis. Arlo is an armadillo who is always up for adventure. His grandfather, Augustin, loved adventure too. When Arlo was born, Augustin wrote travel journals about his favorite places for Arlo to use when he was hold enough to go exploring on his own. When Arlo reads abo ...more
Published October 14th 2014 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about An Armadillo in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Armadillo in Paris

Barbara
Inspired by his grandfather's descriptions of the places he has traveled, Arlo, and armadillo, leaves his home in Brazil to explore the world. In search of the Iron Lady described so frequently in his grandfather's travel journals, Arlo heads to Paris to find her. He follows the directions left to him by his grandfather and passes by the Arc de Triumphe, the Champs-Elysees, and the Louvre while also sampling some delicious French treats. Readers may have an inkling of who the Iron Lady will turn ...more
Edward Sullivan
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, travel
Sightseeing in Paris with Arlo the Armadillo. A delightful tour.
Jenny Larges
Summary/Classroom Integration: Arlo is a young armadillo from Brazil. His grandfather, Augustin, loved to travel and left for Arlo his journals, including Paris and meeting the Iron Lady. Arlo is so inspired, that he decides to follow in his grandpa's footsteps to learn all about Paris. This is a beautifully illustrated book with 'paw-written notes' from Augustin's journal for Arlo to follow and get clues about the Iron Lady. I would use this book as a fun read aloud or writing project about fam ...more
Ian Wood
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Emmaline MacBeath
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arlo the Armadillo is from Brazil and he loves to explore. His grandfather has left him a set of journals about the places he has visited. Arlo is following in his footsteps. He begins in Paris where is is seeing all of the sights and anticipating meeting the Iron Lady. He sees the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Seine, and many other places such as cafes and cathedrals. He ends his journey by meeting the Iron Lady.

The illustrations are done in graphite and oils. They are ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! T
Storywraps
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhhhh!!1 Beautiful Paris! The home of the best croissants in the world, the Arc de Triomphe, Café Gustave, the famous street Champs-Éysées, The Louvre, artists, poets and the beautiful Seine River.

Arlo, a little Armadillo from Brazil, is encouraged by his grandfather's journals to go there and explore the splendour and ambiance of one of the most visited cities in the entire world. "Arlo feels it, the twitch in his left claw. The twitch that only stops when the adventure begins..." And begin
Amanda Deatherage
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud-book
An Armadillo in Paris is about a little armadillo named Arlo who is following the journals written for him by his grandpa Augustin as a guide around Paris. Throughout the book Arlo hits all the highlights of the beautiful city of lights- L'arc de Triomphe, macaroons, paintings on the Seine River, the Louvre, but the whole time he is trying to find the mysterious "Iron Lady" that his grandpa can't wait for him to meet. After following his grandpa's journals around the city he finally meets the Ir ...more
Beyond the Pages
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An Armadillo in Paris was an exceptional story. I loved it! It was most definitely a delight to read.

As a homeschool educator, I must say that I could totally develop a lesson plan around this book. There were rich details about the sights and experiences of Paris. I adored the journal entries and the grand adventure that Atlo went on. I got to see and do what he did, which made this reading experience fun.

The author did a superb job of connecting the dots, in my opinion. From Brazil to Paris,
Mary Kate Garst
Nov 11, 2014 marked it as childrensliterature
Summary: An Armadillo In Paris is a wonderful guide to the city of lights! It begins with our main character, Arlo, following notes left for him by his grandfather that tell him all the sights he must see in Paris. He goes from landmark to landmark, his whole journey leading him towards finding 'The Iron Lady' who we discover on the last page is also known as The Eiffel Tower. This story is artfully illustrated, uses colorful vocabulary, and gives cultural insight into one of the world's most fa ...more
Chris
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love the premise of a little armadillo (Arlo) following in his grandfather's footsteps as he discovers Paris for himself. His quest to find the Iron Lady takes him to many famous sites in Paris, each stop accompanied by a journal entry from his grandfather. When he finally reaches his mysterious destination, the illustration is a full double page spread turned vertically for maximum impact.

This book is a fun introduction to the city. The back of the book gives a bit more information about eac
Kathy
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You do not have to be a child to enjoy An Armadillo in Paris. It is charming. Delightful! I love it!

An Armadillo in Paris is gorgeously illustrated. The illustrations of Paris are realistically and beautifully drawn. Arlo the Armadillo's adventures in Paris cover all the top spots such as the Louvre, the Champs Elysees, and the Arc de Triomphe. He discovers the macarons of Paris which are the colourful, light cookies filled with ganache. He rests on the beautiful Pont Neuf. Arlo has his portrait
Sandy Brehl
This picture book has considerably longer text than many current releases, and uses a blend of third person narrative with journal entries from Arlo's grandfather Augustine. The page designs, overhead perspectives, muted palette with occasional intense colors,and are that is both sketchy and intensely representational are perfectly suited to the fun but somewhat bizarre premise of an adventurous armadillo exploring many appealing features of Paris- very realistically presented!

It's a winner on m
Lynn
I'm really not sure what an armadillo's doing in Paris, but the illustrations capture a certain place in my imagination. Apparently he's following the footsteps of his grandfather, who wrote notes to him. So the book has a story about Arlo, as well as the notes from his grandfather. The black and white creature is set in red, blue and white settings while visiting a book store, the Arc de Triomphe, and other famous places, finally getting to the Eiffel Tower, which is only referred to as the Iro ...more
Carol
I hope to someday get a chance to see a print copy of this. I received an e-galley from NetGalley but the formatting was so messed up it was rather difficult to read with any kind of flow. However, I did like the illustrations a lot. They are a little quirky as anything with an armadillo is bound to be. It appears to be a fun travelogue through Paris, highlighting all the must-see spots. This is all given from the perspective of a little armadillo that has traveled all the way from Brazil for th ...more
Mallory Dunn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Arlo is an armadillo from Brazil who travels to and around Paris, France with the help of his grandfather's postcards. He is told of the Iron Lady and throughout his adventure of major landmarks in Paris, he is told all about the Iron Lady. Arlo cannot wait until he meets the Iron Lady after hearing all about her and in the end he comes face to face with her, The Eiffel Tower.
I absolutely love this book. Good for pairing with a geography lesson as well. It is very informative and also adventurou
Dolly
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a grandfather's travel journal, written to his grandson, Arlo.

Each page takes the reader to a different location in Paris.

Arlo follows his grandfather's directions, enjoying the sights, sounds, and tastes of Paris along the way.

The oil and graphite illustrations are very nicely detailed and Arlo is adorable.

Arlo eventually finds the Iron Lady, mentioned frequently in the journal pages.

And the entire journey is from just one of the travel diaries, leading me to believ
Diana
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Picture book of a dear armadillo named Arlo who goes to Paris. He has his grandfather's travel journal to guide him through the city as seen through the eyes of the "Iron Lady." I loved the illustrations and the notes from grandfather were fine but I felt the other paragraph of text on each page was unnecessary as they basically describe the action on the page.

I have a feeling Arlo will probably be going on further adventures and I look forward to traveling with him.
Shannon
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and a great introduction for kids to Paris and the Eiffel Tower. I read it with my 7 yr old and he quite enjoyed not only the story but the facts at the end. I do believe he will be quoting them to anyone who will listen soon. An extra cute detail is that the jacket makes a great little poster. Full disclosure I did receive this copy as a giveaway, definitely one we will be reading again and again.
Algona Public
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amy, young-readers
I adore the illustrations in the charming story about an armadillo who follows the path his grandfather took many years before on his adventure through Paris. Arlo the armadillo is on a hunt to find the Iron Lady and visits a handful of other historic and iconic Parisian landmarks. Kids of all ages will hear something new about the wonderful city and a few may be inspired to follow their feet on their own adventure! Recommended for children 5 - 10 years old.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france, children
If an armadillo can go to Paris, we can all go. Arlo is such an armadillo, and he’s following in the footsteps of his adventurer grandfather Augustin. Augustin oh-so-kindly made Arlo a series of journals (sequels?) about his favorite places in the world, and now Arlo is of an age that he can visit these suggested places himself. And so he does, and what a lovely visit it is.

Take me away, Augustin and Arlo!
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are superb. They were so detailed and had an airy quality that I loved. The formatting for the Kindle left something to be desired, however. I would not recommend this one as an e-book until the kinks are fixed. The writing is a bit wordy and challenging for younger readers, but it would make a fun read-aloud.
Erin
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
This would be a great book to share with young children preparing to visit Paris. I mostly enjoyed seeing all of the landmarks that were highlighted, having recently been to them myself. The writing style and the story line are not all that captivating-- but the enchanting illustrations do make up for it.
Cara Stone
The illustrations are charming, but the story didn't grab me as much as I think it could have. I liked the merging of fiction and nonfiction, helping children learn about Paris locations and culture, but its appeal may be limited as a result. The vocabulary/facts at the end are helpful. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a free e-galley of this book.
Kelsey
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-1st grade
Country: Paris, France

Arlo the armadillo explores Paris via letters from his grandfather that direct him around the city. Also to spice things up with a myserty, his grandfather keeps alluding to The Iron Lady as Arlo slowly makes his way to find out who she is. The illustrations are wonderful and the reflection of the Louvre pyramid in the water is gorgeous.
Diane
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
"Arlo feels it. The twitch in his left claw. The twitch that only stops when adventure begins ..."

See the sites of Paris while searching for the "Iron Lady" as described by Augustin, his grandfather.
Molly
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I adored this clever book about an Armadillo following his grandfather's travel journal entries to discover the most famed landmark of Paris. I will definitely purchase this book for my personal collection.
Shelby
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided by Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review. Thank you.

Arlo is a wonderful character that made me smile. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book...I loved the images of Paris, the illustration was wonderful.
September Dee
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a precious book for both children and adults. A wonderful way to familiarize oneself with Paris and for those who have been it will make you reminisce. Arlo is adorable and he takes on Paris with a true spirit of adventure.
Mary
This book accentuates my love of Paris! What a lovely adventure for an armadillo to have as he searches the city for the Iron Lady. The book is filled with information about Paris and the many sights there are to see, lovely images, and a fun main character.
Brandi
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for studying landmarks of Paris. Cute story. I adored the illustrations. This book is a nice introduction to Parisian landmarks that my elementary students can research in more depth. Lovely book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Edison: The Mystery of the Missing Mouse Treasure
  • Pablo and Birdy
  • Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
  • Goldfish on Vacation
  • Absolutely One Thing (Charlie and Lola)
  • How the Sun Got to Coco's House
  • Red Sky at Night
  • Black Dog
  • Dorothea's Eyes: Dorothea Lange Photographs the Truth
  • An Island Grows
  • In the Canyon
  • This Is My Eye: A New York Story
Toronto-based artist and illustrator Julie Kraulis is passionate about ideas: the unexpected, profound, whimsical, smart. All that she encounters in this wide world becomes her inspiration. Since completing her Bachelor of Design in Illustration at the Ontario College of Art & Design, Julie spends most days in the studio with a pencil or paintbrush in hand, working on a wide range of projects ...more