Start by marking “Parker: The Hunter by Richard Stark with Illustrations by Darwyn Cooke” as Want to Read:
Parker: The Hunter by Richard Stark with Illustrations by Darwyn Cooke

Parker: The Hunter by Richard Stark with Illustrations by Darwyn Cooke (Parker #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  7,172 Ratings  ·  644 Reviews
In 1962, Donald E. Westlake, writing under the pseudonym Richard Stark, created what would become one of the most important and enduring crime fiction series ever produced - Parker. Westlake wrote more than 20 Parker novels, many considered classics of the genre, and a number of which have transitioned to the big screen. Most notable of these is Point Blank, directed by Jo ...more
Published July 1st 2014 by IDW Publishing (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Parker, please sign up.

(_.- Jared -._) ₪ Book Nerd ₪ Parker isn't really a 'good guy'. He's no noble hero and doesn't want to be. He completely 'in it' for himself. It's a serious game of life and death…moreParker isn't really a 'good guy'. He's no noble hero and doesn't want to be. He completely 'in it' for himself. It's a serious game of life and death and money, and he's in it to win at whatever the cost, besides his own life or money. He doesn't give a shit about morals.

Parker has trusted and loved and been vulnerable with the woman he loved, a woman he married, and in the end what did it get him, she choose to save her own skin and betrayed him by trying to kill him. He vows to never again trust anyone like that again. Maybe at one time he had morals. Maybe one time he cared about the innocent and who he hurt. Maybe that was then, this is now, and now, it's one man for himself, and he doesn't give a shit.

I don't think many find themselves relating to Parker. We don't really find ourselves caring about the guy either. This is an action book series so, we read it for the action, not the emotional attachment to characters. And yet, many of the readers do find themselves rooting for Parker... at least I do. Had this been my first Parker book, I think I'd be turned off to the series but Flashfire was my first read and I found that I really liked it.

I think it is because it's one man, one bad guy, against the world of other bad guys. He has his own sort of principals, his own code if you will, that you get the feeling he'll abandon at the drop of a hat if he has to to save his skin. He killed a woman by accident and didn't really seem to brood over it too much other than he seemed to kinda regret it. <spoiler> When his wife committed suicide, </spoiler> he didn't really show any reverence to her body or show any hint of mourning her loss. He doesn't seem to like killing but he won't think twice about doing it if it suites him.

Care about Parker; no, I care about Parker as much as he'd care for me if he were real. Relate to Parker; not unless I'm wanted for murder, let me check, nope. Want to see Parker beat impossible odds in his own ruthlessly methodical sagacious way...? Definitely.(less)

Bill  Kerwin
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A very cold book about a very hard man. Master thief Parker has been left for dead, betrayed by his partner and his wife, and now he's out for revenge. If you like sociopath heroes, this is the noir for you, particularly if you also appreciate a spare, efficient prose style.

"The Hunter" has been filmed twice: 1) the stylish, nihilistic cult-classic Point Blank with Lee Marvin, and 2)the vicious, misanthropic Payback with Mel Gibson. Both are worth watching.
Stephen
When PARKER is after you...IT’S PRETTY MUCH Photobucket

4.5 to 5.0 stars. I haven't read oodles of crime fiction but this is certainly one of the best I have read so far. Parker is a pinnacle of the noirish, badass main character. He's simply superb. In this first installment, Parker returns to New York to “even up the score” with some former crew-mates who double-crossed him and left him for dead. Uh…BIG MISTAKE (for them). Now Parker is out for payback and it's pretty much lights out for his former assoc
James Thane
This is a classic hard-boiled novel, the first book in a series that would ultimately run to twenty-four books published between 1962 and 2008. The series featured a brutal, smart, amoral professional criminal known only as Parker who worked with crews of other professional criminals and usually focused on robbing banks, armored cars or other such targets. Parker was not a professional killer, although he never balked at killing anyone who got in the way of the job at hand.

He also never hesitate
Kemper
When we meet Parker, we don’t know much about him. He’s just a guy with shabby clothes and a bad attitude walking across the George Washington Bridge into New York without a dime to his name. Within hours of arriving in Manhattan, Parker has used an early ’60s form of identity theft to fill his wallet and set himself up quite nicely. Clearly, this is a resourceful guy. As we quickly learn in The Hunter, he’s also a guy that you do not want to double-cross.

A professional thief, Parker was betray
Lawyer
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of hard-boiled crime and noir
Recommended to Lawyer by: Goodreads group Pulp Fiction Member
The Hunter, Donald Westlake aka Richard Stark writes the first Parker Novel

I wrote an absolutely brilliant review of The Hunter: A Parker Novel last night. Trust me, it really was. Then it simply vanished. The laptop hiccuped and all those wonderful words went off to where good words go to die.

Richard Stark was a guy I had never heard of until I joined goodreads group Pulp Fiction. Donald E Westlake, I had heard of. I was in Junior High School when I read Fugitive Pigeon. It was a stitch, althou
Dan Schwent
Four men collaborate on a heist and everything goes well until one man decides he can't share and tries to off the others. But Parker doesn't die and comes looking for revenge! But will revenge be enough for Parker ...?

Wow. I'd been looking forward to reading Richard Stark's Parker books for quite some time and I'd say I'm hooked with the first one. Parker's a relentless force of nature with few redeeming qualities. The writing shows just how versatile a writer Donald Westlake was, powerful yet
Algernon
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Algernon by: bookclub choice
Shelves: 2014
[7/10]
The first book in the Parker series is a clear illustration for me of the need for half-stars here on Goodreads. I know three stars means a positive reaction, but often people interpret it as a mediocre book, and The Hunter may be flawed as far as I'm concerned, but it is definitely not mediocre. It has in fact most of the elements to make it a classic in its genre: a powerful lead, a heist gone bad, betrayal among crooks, women trouble, surprising twists towards the end.

Parker is a prof
Jason Koivu
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
Parker is a BAAAD man! Actually, a better descriptive would be "dick". Parker is a dick. I don't remember the last time I met a main character this reprehensible...Perhaps Humbert Humbert from Lolita, but he was more of a perverted douche.

Now, that's not to say Parker doesn't have his reasons for committing various murders and beating his wife to the point of torture. He was double crossed, after all. Of course, this happened during a heist in which he planned to do the double crossing. See what
Melki
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During my formative teen years, my dad practically force-fed me a diet of Ed McBain, Joseph Wambaugh, and Donald E Westlake, and for that, I will be eternally grateful. I will always have to wonder if he just didn't know about Westlake's evil twin, Richard Stark, or if perhaps he wanted to protect his shy, virginal daughter from the likes of a man like Parker.

He knew he was hard, he knew that he worried less about emotion than other people.

Calling Parker hard is something of an understatement. H
Tfitoby
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night

Parker is one angry man, he's been crossed, left for dead, thrown in jail for vagrancy, had to cross an entire continent and now he's a hunter who wants payback at point blank range.

Knowing a little about this series of books and how highly fellow pulp fans rate the first book, published in 1962
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. please add book cover 4 25 Apr 25, 2016 03:18AM
Which is the best Parker novel by Richard Stark 24 329 Feb 12, 2015 06:46AM
Pulp Fiction: January 2014 - The Hunter 38 89 Mar 09, 2014 12:31PM
book/graphic novel different endings 3 19 Jul 05, 2013 06:54AM
Pulp Fiction: New Parker Movie 17 48 Jun 05, 2013 09:18AM
  • The Wheelman
  • Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter
  • The Hot Spot
  • 361 (Hard Case Crime #9)
  • Pop. 1280
  • The Bride Wore Black
  • The Moving Target
  • Miami Blues
  • The Last Good Kiss (C.W. Sughrue, #1)
  • Songs of Innocence (John Blake #2)
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Money Shot (Angel Dare #1)
  • The First Quarry (Quarry #8)
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)

Parker (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2)
  • The Outfit (Parker, #3)
  • The Mourner (Parker, #4)
  • The Score (Parker, #5)
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • The Handle (Parker, #8)
  • The Rare Coin Score (Parker, #9)
  • The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)
  • The Black Ice Score (Parker, #11)
“I'm going to drink his blood, I'm going to chew up his heart and spit it into the gutter for the dogs to raise a leg at. I'm going to peel the skin off him and rip out his veins and hang him with them.” 12 likes
“The office women looked at him and shivered. They knew he was a bastard, they his big hands were born to slap with, they knew his face would never break into a smile when he looked at a woman. They knew what he was, they thanked God for their husbands, and still they shivered. Because they knew how he would fall on a woman in the night. Like a tree".” 7 likes